• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
You can't tell me that screenshot isn't from a "Make your own video games" university ad that ran on G4 in 2007.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Also, didn't the first one Death Star take something like 15-20 years to build? They were building it at the end of Revenge. I know in Rogue One they said it had been held back by years of bureaucracy and cost. Yet somehow the second DS, which was larger and more powerful, was about 75% fully complete in only 3-4 years time.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Also, didn't the first one Death Star take something like 15-20 years to build? They were building it at the end of Revenge. I know in Rogue One they said it had been held back by years of bureaucracy and cost. Yet somehow the second DS, which was larger and more powerful, was about 75% fully complete in only 3-4 years time.
I figured they started working on it before they finished the first one.

Oct 25, 2017
they're the ones that created the droid army right
that pretty much qualifies them as the techies of the galaxy, it's not farfetched that they conceptualized the death star
other people had to actually had to get it working anyway the geonosian design wasnt finished

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not sure how the old EU explained it, but the canon novel Catalyst (which is a fantastic novel) explains that the Geonosians sabotaged the shit out of it before they were all killed off and were probably deliberately slowing down progress. More importantly, they never actually provided a design for a way to power it, or any design for the primary weapon itself. Figuring both of those out (which was an interconnected problem largely solved with designs around Kyber crystals) took up the longest amount of time, and is where Galen came in.

Once those problems were solved and they had a basic process for manufacturing and supply sourcing figured out, they could presumably build more a LOT faster. The construction of the second Death Star hasn't really been touched upon at all in the current EU so far though.

Oct 25, 2017
My take is that they contributed greatly to the initial planning, but Mads Mikkelsen came in like "the Benz" and made it actually feasible. In other words, it was vaporware without him.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If fairness, that's the assumption by a lot of humans in the SW universe as well.

Or at least it was in Legends. No idea if the Empire is still speciest and xenophobic in the new canon.
It is. They regularly touch up on that in the new Thrawn books, while the High Republic era is shown to be an era of diversity and equality (even more than the Republic in the PT era).

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Makes you wonder why these dudes could create the most powerful war machines yet they couldn't defend from a newborn empire.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Makes you wonder why these dudes could create the most powerful war machines yet they couldn't defend from a newborn empire.
Them having a large battle droid army directly led to the Clone Wars. Between AOTC and that Clone Wars arc, I wouldn't say they couldn't defend themselves.
The Empire came after all that and sterilized them.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Clone-Troopers_76eb5caf.jpeg

those prequels were full of horrible writing. For instace, Obiwan discovered that there's a giant cloning facility, and they're making a shitload of storm troopers modeled after Jango Fett, who tried to kill him. And no one knows who's paying for these clones.

But they decided to use them to fight their fucking war? wtf?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

those prequels were full of horrible writing. For instace, Obiwan discovered that there's a giant cloning facility, and they're making a shitload of storm troopers modeled after Jango Fett, who tried to kill him. And no one knows who's paying for these clones.

It's that scam where you receive shit you haven't ordered but on a galactic scale. I really like all the lore and world building AOTC opened up, but that plot was pretty awful. Clone Wars softened the blow in hindsight but still.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

For what it's worth, the Kaminoans told Obi Wan in the film that the clones were ordered and paid for by a since-deceased Jedi master. The fact that nobody questioned it is still stupid but whatever, and in lore it is technically true that Count Dooku tricked a Jedi friend of his into signing off on the clones to make them appear legit and then killed him.

What's more stupid is that in the Clone Wars, the Jedi Council does eventually learn that Count Dooku was the guy that paid for the clones and they STILL decide to use them for their war without informing anyone of this information.

Last edited:

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I know it's not as cut and dry as it should be, but R2 being Padme's and there being a straight line from her to Leia seems reasonable enough. 3P0 being made by Anakin is weird (and never really brought up) but once he's Padme's it does kinda just work well enough.

I don't understand what issue people have with Anakin building Threepio. He's clearly this genius mechanic which is the reason Watto wants to hold on to him and tries to stop Qui-Gon from taking him, and while working at Watto's he has access to a huge pile of scrap parts. There is nothing apparently different about Threepio than any other communication/protocol droid - they all apparently even look alike. So it seems they're made of standard parts. And they seem ubiquitous enough.

Anakin finding enough spare parts from multiple protocol droids and having Watto's permission to take otherwise useless scrap away to build something that would help his other slave at her job doesn't seem like a big stretch to me. Standard parts lying around, genius mechanic, desire to help his mother = seems pretty obvious to me.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
What? Bevel Lemelisk designed the Death Star . . .

I don't care how ridiculous the EU got, I grew up with that shit . . .
That poor bastard. On receiving news that the Death Star was destroyed, Palpatine had him summoned before him and placed him in a cage. "Piranha beetles" entered the cage and one of them bit him. As soon as this happened, the rest of them started to bite him. Slowly eating him in a horribly agonising death. It took an hour for him to die.

But that wasn't the end of Lemelisk. Oh no. Palpatine decided he was too useful to lose, so he woke up in a clone body. When working on the second Death Star, Palpatine had him murdered a further six times, for any perceived lack of enthusiasm or delaying on his part. He was thrown out of an airlock, lowered into a vat of molten copper, trapped in a vault with clouds of acid mist, and others. He would often wake up in a new clone body right next to his own corpse, whatever was left of his last body.

When finally caught by the New Republic and sentenced to be executed, all he did was request that the firing squad do the job right this time.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Why in the actual fuck were 3PO and R2-D2 there every fucking step of the way? Why is there a scene of Chewbacca letting Yoda ride on his back?

God damn these things make me upset, just thinking about them.
Generally I'm not happy with these decisions that make the world feel smaller, but C-3PO and R2-D2 are actually exceptions. The idea that these two random droids are somehow coincidentally involved with every major event in the galaxy over ~100 years works for me.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, I haven't watched Clone Wars tbh..
The way they painted it is that the Empire only finished a genocide the Republic had well underway by the time the war ended. Geonosis is hit so hard during the War that the Republic is even hunting down the remaining Queens to control the local population.

The Clone Wars starts in Geonosis so the Republic has been killing their civilization non-stop from the beginning.

There is a Godzilla inspired episode that starts in Geonosis with an allegory for the USA use of the atomic bomb during WWII.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, the Kaminoans told Obi Wan in the film that the clones were ordered and paid for by a since-deceased Jedi master. The fact that nobody questioned it is still stupid but whatever, and in lore it is technically true that Count Dooku tricked a Jedi friend of his into signing off on the clones to make them appear legit and then killed him.

What's more stupid is that in the Clone Wars, the Jedi Council does eventually learn that Count Dooku was the guy that paid for the clones and they STILL decide to use them for their war without informing anyone of this information.

The Jedi Council were so pompous their arrogance made them blind and stupid. They thought they were unbeatable and that was their downfall. If anything that's the one thing in lore from the prequels that actually makes sense. When you get into such a powerful position unless you're careful you'll fuck it up and drop the ball and that's exactly what they did.

OP
OP
Never the Lesser
Oct 29, 2017
The fuck you got against the Geonosians, OP? Why do you think they can't build shit because they look different?
Of all the things in Star Wars, you take issue with Geonosians being an intelligent species????
Lol no hate. I legit forgot they were also responsible for the battle droids. Knowing that they were behind the droid army and Death Star honestly makes them cooler, since the Empire with its resources wouldn't have built anything nearly as sophisticated.
My ex-girlfriend, from Canada, was Geonosian. What the hell OP?
Thank you for your gift to this thread.
Wait til OP learns what the Mon Calmari can build.
Clone Wars 2003 showed me how cool they were.
it was probably some shopping around for a buyer. being the military industrial complex the Geonosians are, selling shit is what they do, so selling a giant wmd to a warring faction isn't too out of line. it's like Boeing or Northrop Gruman selling NATO a new weapon they invented while NATO is at war with the Russians
Makes sense. Also gives a poetic explanation for their genocide -- live by the sword, etc.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't understand what issue people have with Anakin building Threepio. He's clearly this genius mechanic which is the reason Watto wants to hold on to him and tries to stop Qui-Gon from taking him, and while working at Watto's he has access to a huge pile of scrap parts. There is nothing apparently different about Threepio than any other communication/protocol droid - they all apparently even look alike. So it seems they're made of standard parts. And they seem ubiquitous enough.

Anakin finding enough spare parts from multiple protocol droids and having Watto's permission to take otherwise useless scrap away to build something that would help his other slave at her job doesn't seem like a big stretch to me. Standard parts lying around, genius mechanic, desire to help his mother = seems pretty obvious to me.

It makes sense to me he could build 3P0 but nothing really comes of it in the story (do they even interact in ROTS?), so it feels a little convenient even if, like R2, it makes sense going forward he'd wind up with Padme and then Leia too.

My issue is I wish more had been done with it, but besides one really good EU comic it's kinda been ignored.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The Jedi Council were so pompous their arrogance made them blind and stupid. They thought they were unbeatable and that was their downfall. If anything that's the one thing in lore from the prequels that actually makes sense. When you get into such a powerful position unless you're careful you'll fuck it up and drop the ball and that's exactly what they did.
I feel like the movies themselves repeatedly establish the exact opposite. They were terrified of the war and suspected a plot to destroy them. And all of their suspicions were completely valid, they just failed to act until it was too late because they didn't want to be perceived as anti-Republic. Which was also valid, since that was the end justification for their destruction.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why in the actual fuck were 3PO and R2-D2 there every fucking step of the way? Why is there a scene of Chewbacca letting Yoda ride on his back?

God damn these things make me upset, just thinking about them.

I mean Anakin died, Padme died, so her best friend kept her droids who had also proven to be very useful and adopted her daughter who eventually grew up fighting for the same cause while still have the same droids and that's odd to you?

Also Chewbacca was a military leader, Yoda and Luminara were also military leaders and they went to aid the wookies in battle. How could they not cross paths?

OP
OP
Never the Lesser
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the movies themselves repeatedly establish the exact opposite. They were terrified of the war and suspected a plot to destroy them. And all of their suspicions were completely valid, they just failed to act until it was too late because they didn't want to be perceived as anti-Republic. Which was also valid, since that was the end justification for their destruction.

When Count Dooku spilled the beans to Obi-Wan about Sheev, the response was, "No way! The Jedi would have known about it." Talk about hubris!

If more Jedi were like Mace Windu who said that they should keep an eye on the Senate, it's possible that they could have discovered the plot sooner.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I think the issue is not whether or not Anakin has the capability to build a droid, but that this particular droid was built by this particular boy.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

It's not that it is impossible to explain. It's just that the explanation feels contrived and unnecessary.

You don't need a convoluted backstory for why a protocol droid is stationed on a diplomatic vessel. In a more natural and coherent world, he'd simply be there because that is what protocol droids are designed for.

This is a work of fiction, so some degree of convenient coincidence is something a viewer should accept. But with Star Wars not even the most mundane details can follow Occam's razor.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My head canon is that it's an ancient Sith weapon that Palpatine stumbled upon while learning With things. I point to its using of kyber crystals as a sort of evidence. For whatever reason they never got it off the ground, but Palpatine had it kicking around. The Geonosians, being a massive production capital, were given the plans to it to see if they could make a go.

It's a bit sloppy, but eh. What isn't in Star Wars?

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand what issue people have with Anakin building Threepio.
It's not the how he did it. Your explanation makes sense but it never addresses people's actual problem with it, which is that in the vast universe of Star Wars these two "people" didn't have to be related at all, and forcing everyone of any narrative consequence in previous movies to have all sorts of unnecessary and undisclosed past connections just makes the galaxy feel a lot smaller.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Thats actually cool. Bug minds are superior in many ways.

The definition of stupid is a planet-sized death star Death Planet that destroys a whole solar system

The definition of stupid is 500 bajillion star destroyers built by a couple of guys all flying in close formation within low orbit

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No, he had them build it, and when they didn't know how to finish things he got Galen and killed their race off.
From Wookiepedia:

I get that it's Star Wars and the Empire has to be as evil as possible, but genociding 100 billion to "keep a secret"? Seems logistically impossible that wouldn't have leaked any sort of way. Heck, why do they need a Death Star if it was so easy to genocide 100 billion people?

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
There is a Godzilla inspired episode that starts in Geonosis with an allegory for the USA use of the atomic bomb during WWII.

Do you mean the Zillo beast episodes? That didn't start on Geonosis, the bomb was tested on Malastare, homeworld of the Dugs and they were fine with it until finding out the bomb opened the massive sinkhole with the beast inside of it.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
In terms of the absolute abortion that is the PT, this particular detail ranks fairly low on my wtf scale.