• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
13094455004_f54959dbb5_b.jpg

I'm very late to the party on this, but Attack of the Clones was on and I had to squint so hard at this scene because I couldn't believe what I was watching. Somehow this scene crawled back from the abyss of my memory and was out on full display on my living room TV.

You mean to tell me these walking-talking cicadas DESIGNED AN INTERSTELLAR SPACE WEAPON?

For what? Why them? Why is this movie so bad? Among the many baffling moves in Episode 2, this has to be up there right?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes. because their primary export is military equipment, that's why their planet was a hotbed of war activity

this note was greatly expanded on in many major pieces of media like The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Rogue One

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
And their thanks was being almost wiped out by the Empire according to Rebels.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Ever played Republic Commando? They are so intelligent that you need to fight them seconds after they hatch (or just keep telling yourself that to justify war crimes for loving democracy).

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And their thanks was being almost wiped out by the Empire according to Rebels.
IIRC they were completely exterminated. The subplot in Rebels about the characters saving the Geonosian Queen egg, i.e. the last piece of their whole species after the Empire killed them all, ended up getting invalidated in a comic that revealed that the queen born from the egg was sterile and can't reproduce.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
At the time they were just about to start a war with the Republic... it's not that far fetched.

Aye.

Theres some bad things in these films but this ain't it. It's litteraly the bad guys faction. Palpatine was playing the long game, why wouldn't his subordinates have plans? The Geonosians have a factory producing war machines in the film.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
13094455004_f54959dbb5_b.jpg

I'm very late to the party on this, but Attack of the Clones was on and I had to squint so hard at this scene because I couldn't believe what I was watching. Somehow this scene crawled back from the abyss of my memory and was out on full display on my living room TV.

You mean to tell me these walking-talking cicadas DESIGNED AN INTERSTELLAR SPACE WEAPON?

For what? Why them? Why is this movie so bad? Among the many baffling moves in Episode 2, this has to be up there right?
It's kinda fucked up that you think geonosians cant design technology because they look like bugs

Like the geonosians have always come across as one of the most advanced industrial species

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it when it seemed like this meant they started construction on the Death Star back then, but it was later established that successful construction didn't start until much later.

Given that, it makes perfect sense that Sheev would commission the people he was already ordering war machines from to design this.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Yes Sheev contracted them to design the B1 droids and the Death Star. Then he got rid of them once their purpose was served.

They were just another tool like the Kamonians.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, then what did Mads Mikkelsen do in rogue one?
It's been a while since I read it but the canon prequel novel to Rogue One, Catalyst, goes in depth about how he was an expert on kyber crystal tech that they wanted to use for the weapon part of the Death Star. That's why he was initially brought on the project.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I read it but the canon prequel novel to Rogue One, Catalyst, goes in depth about how he was an expert on kyber crystal tech that they wanted to use for the weapon part of the Death Star. That's why he was initially brought on the project.
So the blueprints from the prequels just had a section labeled "giant laser here" and he was brought on board to figure out how to build that sucker? Sounds about right.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Geonosians did build most of it. All the stuff going on between the Empire, the Geonosians, and Galen Erso is detailed in the book Catalyst, which is canon.

Ah, hadn't read that one. I was going by how unfinished it looked in ROTS.

Why in the actual fuck were 3PO and R2-D2 there every fucking step of the way? Why is there a scene of Chewbacca letting Yoda ride on his back?

God damn these things make me upset, just thinking about them.

I know it's not as cut and dry as it should be, but R2 being Padme's and there being a straight line from her to Leia seems reasonable enough. 3P0 being made by Anakin is weird (and never really brought up) but once he's Padme's it does kinda just work well enough.

OP
OP
Never the Lesser
Oct 29, 2017
Yes Sheev contracted them to design the B1 droids and the Death Star. Then he got rid of them once their purpose was served.

They were just another tool like the Kamonians.

This was the missing detail I needed. Because outside of that, it would've looked a little random for them to go from manufacturing droids to designing a massive WMD out of a secessionist movement. Maybe just another "art imitates life" moment...?

It's kinda fucked up that you think geonosians cant design technology because they look like bugs

Like the geonosians have always come across as one of the most advanced industrial species

Yeah I'm really confused at the implication that OP's problem with this is how the aliens look for some reason lmao

I forgot that they designed the battle droids and ships already, so you can imagine how bewildered I was seeing this supposedly "out of the blue" detail crop up. Had I remembered that, the jump from "These bugs manufactured the Droid army" to "These bugs designed the Death Star" would've been a little easier to understand.

Not that they couldn't do it. When you don't have that info ahead of time, it can definitely be jarring.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
The 3PO thing was dumb, but I did like seeing him evolve each movie design-wise. Seeing him go from all naked and wiry to having an unpainted frame to gold and shiny, and then being dirty and having had his leg replaced with a silver one in ANH was neat.

Also, side tangent the ST should've kept his red arm.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I forgot that they designed the battle droids and ships already, so you can imagine how bewildered I was seeing this supposedly "out of the blue" detail crop up. Had I remembered that, the jump from "These bugs manufactured the Droid army" to "These bugs designed the Death Star" would've been a little easier to understand.

Not that they couldn't do it. When you don't have that info ahead of time, it can definitely be jarring.

Fair enough
For me it was an easy sell since we have a close look at just how massive their production line factory is even just for droids, so to go from that to the "ultimate weapon project" didn't seem like that much of a leap in what they were capable of

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Palpatine took their designs, killed them, and then went like "Oh shit I have no idea how to actually build this... Hey Galen Erso, long time no see!"

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In ROTS, when Anakin goes to confront Palpatine to try and arrest him, you can actually the death star plans on Palpatine's screen. He turns it off discreetly when Anakin enters the room

OP
OP
Never the Lesser
Oct 29, 2017
Fair enough
For me it was an easy sell since we have a close look at just how massive their production line factory is even just for droids, so to go from that to the "ultimate weapon project" didn't seem like that much of a leap in what they were capable of
Yeah, the technological capability is there. I'm talking about a jump in motivation. Like why go from building armies to destroying planets over a secessionist movement?

As I mentioned above, it could be just an art imitates life moment, but Sheev being the benefactor for this project sounds much more believable to me.

In ROTS, when Anakin goes to confront Palpatine to try and arrest him, you can actually the death star plans on Palpatine's screen. He turns it off discreetly when Anakin enters the room
Neat. I'll have to give it a rewatch.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Why in the actual fuck were 3PO and R2-D2 there every fucking step of the way? Why is there a scene of Chewbacca letting Yoda ride on his back?

God damn these things make me upset, just thinking about them.

iirc, at some point George conceived that the whole thing was a frame story set years and years later, where C-3P0 & R2-D2 would have been telling everything that had happened to a higher level of lifeforms. This obviously never got actually used, but it had basically become tradition that C-3P0 & R2-D2 have to be there in a mainline film. Also, it's a Kurosawa thing.

Chewbacca carrying Yoda... I got nothing.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
So Palpatine took their designs, killed them, and then went like "Oh shit I have no idea how to actually build this... Hey Galen Erso, long time no see!"
No, he had them build it, and when they didn't know how to finish things he got Galen and killed their race off.
From Wookiepedia:
Following the Clone Wars, the Geonosians were forced by the Galactic Empire to assist in the construction of the Death Star. Though a new archduke was appointed to lead the Stalgasin hive, the Geonosians became a servant species to the Empire and were forbidden from freely breeding. When the Geonosians were unable to work out how to refine the superweapon's superlaser, the Empire brought in Galen Walton Erso to finish the job.
After the Death Star's hyperdrive was operational, Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin ordered the Imperial Weapons division to sterilize Geonosis using Imperial gas canisters, destroying all but one of the planet's population of approximately 100 billion—the largest genocide ever committed by the Empire to keep the weapon a secret.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, then what did Mads Mikkelsen do in rogue one?

As someone who has never seen a star wars film (any of them) but have watched trailers, I immediately asked myself this. I understand what the DS is from pop culture references (Clerks and countless others), but I thought that movie was saying he was the one who designed it.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
What? Bevel Lemelisk designed the Death Star . . .

I don't care how ridiculous the EU got, I grew up with that shit . . .

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the technological capability is there. I'm talking about a jump in motivation. Like why go from building armies to destroying planets over a secessionist movement?
it was probably some shopping around for a buyer. being the military industrial complex the Geonosians are, selling shit is what they do, so selling a giant wmd to a warring faction isn't too out of line. it's like Boeing or Northrop Gruman selling NATO a new weapon they invented while NATO is at war with the Russians

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck you got against the Geonosians, OP? Why do you think they can't build shit because they look different?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the things in Star Wars, you take issue with Geonosians being an intelligent species????