• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much transparency do you have with your closest friends?

• Salary + Benefits

Votes: 226 86.3%
  • 401k / IRA / Investments / Retirement Estimate

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Checking + Savings Estimate

Votes: 81 30.9%
  • Debt Estimates (credit cards, student loans, car note, etc.)

Votes: 108 41.2%
  • Budget Estimate (rent, utilities, groceries, etc.)

Votes: 148 56.5%
  • Money spent on vacations, gifts, etc.

Votes: 133 50.8%
  • Credit score, lending rates, other, etc.

Votes: 99 37.8%

• Total voters

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Let's talk money, Era. Or ... let's not. Because I don't know anybody here so I don't think I'm going to start sharing details about my finances. However, when it comes to people you trust endlessly and would consider to be your closest friends in the world (i.e. there's a 0% chance they would share a secret or privileged information with anybody), how much do you share? Are finances discussed? Do you feel comfortable talking about money with your friends? Are you able to comfortably reconcile with the idea of knowing that you have far better or far worse means than your closest friends?

Maybe my friends and I are weird, but we talk about this stuff all of the time in open, detailed terms. We are all aware of who makes dollars and who makes dimes in the group, but we never let it affect how we interact as friends, nor is there ever any pressure on the dollar guys to add more to a collective experience than the dime guys. There are moments where the dime guys are asked what their budgets look like and what's reasonable for a group experience, but that's about where the "balancing" aspect begins and ends.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just salaries. We're pretty transparent. We're in different industries and professions so it doesn't really help much lol.

But nothing deeper than that.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I only know a couple of friends salaries and that's only because we try and help each other out trying to find work since we're all in the same field and want to make sure we're all getting paid what we're worth.

Outside of that, I don't know anyones pay and absolutely do not care to.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I don't really care what my friends make, and I'm pretty sure they don't give a shit about what I make, so we don't talk about it. If we did I think we'd all be cool with disclosing pretty much anything, though.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I'm not sure nor do I really care. I assume everyone makes more than me because I know their professions and they know mine.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I only share it with friends who are also engineers since I know they're making about the same money as me. We're fairly open about it and it helps our respective negotiating positions and career decisions.

I don't share it with friends who aren't engineers, though. Made that mistake in the past and it changed how they viewed me.

There's a reason talking about money is taboo, and it's not entirely because it benefits your boss: it creates resentment and makes people feel inadequate, even if you know you shouldn't feel that way an intellectual level.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
My salary's mostly public, so there's no secret, really.

With my closest friends I'm fine talking debt and other things. Helps to talk it out sometimes.

Oct 26, 2017
I barely know the employment status on anyone except my closest friends, so no. I'm not sure exactly how much my sister makes, only that it's more than me.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Everything, well for best friends, which for me is only a couple.

Normal group of friends, just salary.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't have any friends so this isn't an issue for me. If we change that to "co-workers" instead I know almost all of them make more money than me despite me technically being in a "higher" position and doing more work overall. Pisses me off so much.

If I had friends I wouldn't want to know what they make and wouldn't want them to know what I make, despite it being fucking pennies, lol.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only my closest friend for 25 years knows how much I make and some details about my debt/bills. He's pretty open himself too.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
0. Unless I am bitching about a video doing poorly or randomly they are bitching about something. But overall no one talks about it, no one discusses it, and it would not even be a field of interest for any of them

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Literally none of my US friends discuss any of that- we're not interested.
My Greek friends complain that close relatives have zero problem asking about that though.

Are your friends Greek?

SabinFigaro

Oct 27, 2017
Literally everything. From salary to benefits.

That being said, most of my friends are in the same profession, so we all know generally what the other makes. My actual best friend is in a profession that literally couldn't be more different, but we're still an open book on the matter.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know what my friends make, roughly. It's not really a big deal, but I'm also super close to my friends. (Close enough that they can sleep over without ever there being an issue. They just let themselves out in the morning.)

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rarely does it come up, but when we chat about money stuff, it's usually just about salaries+benefits. I only really get into it with my friends who're in the same industry as me though.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Friends in the same field - salaries/compensation

otherwise, huge mistake to tell randos

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
We do, and you should if you're in software development.

Every company wants senior level engineers for intern level pay. I've seen so many engineers that may only have less than two years official experience, but due to personal projects are more skilled than a lot of senior engineers and could find a job that pays properly for their skill level if they searched for it.

We don't do it as a substitute for busting out the rulers. We do it so we can benchmark how much we should be making because so many companies try to keep employees in the dark.

Last edited:

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Why would you risk your friendships with people over something as trivial as money. Its easiest just to not discus it.

OP
OP
Lobster Roll

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Literally none of my US friends discuss any of that- we're not interested.
My Greek friends complain that close relatives have zero problem asking about that though.

Are your friends Greek?
No, we're all just regular ol' American mutts. For example, I was recently entertaining the idea of putting money down on a house, so I texted my best friend who lives in an area I really like. I asked him how much his house was when he got a mortgage, how much he put down, what bank he used, what his interest rate was, and how much he was making at the time when he got approved for the mortgage. We then spiraled into debts and expenses and credit scores and it was a long conversation.

Oct 27, 2017
With my best friend we talk about all that, bar credit score because it's not really a thing here.

My wife is a public servant who is on a pay scale so she talks openly about this with her colleagues, they compare payslips.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Me and my friends are all doing good and are happy for one another. So its nice we can share with one another with things like this.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
My friend is a software developer and he mentioned he makes six figures by accident when we were talking about how gatcha games creep up on expenses , but generally we don't discuss it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
There's one friend I have that insist on knowing, but other friends and I rarely mention it, and if it ever comes up, I feel kinda awkward. It's not my business to know

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem sharing any of my financial details.

For those who don't want to share - thats what lets companies pay certain people so much less...because no one shares salary information so they don't know they are being ripped off. Take the power out of the companies hands!

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I know and can guess what some of my friends make. Some of them really care about each others salary and judge each other or complain. Especially friends who are in the same field.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's handy to know about how well somebody is doing so you don't constantly suggest stuff to do that's too expensive and end up in a Friends situation.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
We talk enough to know that I make the least amount out of everyone in my friend group by a large margin. And it really sucks.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely no one outside of me, my company's comp department, and the IRS knows what I make - not even my SO.

I might divulge ranges of what specific things cost to close friends, or cumulative spending sometimes, or more detailed if it's less than, say, $5k, but no, I don't share anything about my income with anyone.

TBH the idea of swapping stories back and forth about what I make with anyone, even people I work with, feels unbelievably wrong to me. It's just not what one does in my profession.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...It depends.

Close family? I'll tell them any and everything. Friends who I know make more than me based on their profession? Yup, we talk finances. A few times a year actually, so I can keep that hustle going.

Folks who make less than I do? Nope. I've made that mistake before. People look of you differently if they think that you're wealthy. Not in a good way. Think I'm bougie. Doesn't matter if I drive a old Nissan Sentra and haven't bought new shoes since last year.

I wish it wasn't that way.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm an open book. I don't know why people act like it's a super private taboo subject that you shouldn't talk about. My own ex-gf wouldn't tell me how much she made an hour. Someone will literally let you eat their ass but oh no money is too intimate of a subject.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
This is such a bullshit thing America does. We don't talk about what we get paid so we can stop people from discussing their salaries and bargaining with the company. Not talking with people about their salaries is corporate culture creating a taboo to keep us from organizing. But yeah everyone in this thread has bought into it so whatever >_>

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've never been asked but I wouldn't care if someone wanted to know. I'm a government employee so they could technically look me up in an online database and see how much I make. I've looked up a few friends, acquaintances, and co-workers out of curiosity hah.

I think I've only directly discussed my salary with my brother and parents.