• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
www.rollingstone.com

The Unraveling of America

Anthropologist Wade Davis writes about Covid-19 and its devastating impact on the international standing of the United States.

I felt compelled to share this article that a friend messaged me. It's all worth a read, but here are some choice quotes:

Wade Davis said:
Today, the base pay of those at the top is commonly 400 times that of their salaried staff, with many earning orders of magnitude more in stock options and perks. The elite one percent of Americans control $30 trillion of assets, while the bottom half have more debt than assets. The three richest Americans have more money than the poorest 160 million of their countrymen. Fully a fifth of American households have zero or negative net worth, a figure that rises to 37 percent for black families. The median wealth of black households is a tenth that of whites. The vast majority of Americans — white, black, and brown — are two paychecks removed from bankruptcy. Though living in a nation that celebrates itself as the wealthiest in history, most Americans live on a high wire, with no safety net to brace a fall.

COVID-19 didn't lay America low; it simply revealed what had long been forsaken. As the crisis unfolded, with another American dying every minute of every day, a country that once turned out fighter planes by the hour could not manage to produce the paper masks or cotton swabs essential for tracking the disease. The nation that defeated smallpox and polio, and led the world for generations in medical innovation and discovery, was reduced to a laughing stock as a buffoon of a president advocated the use of household disinfectants as a treatment for a disease that intellectually he could not begin to understand.

Wade Davis said:
Odious as he may be, Trump is less the cause of America's decline than a product of its descent. As they stare into the mirror and perceive only the myth of their exceptionalism, Americans remain almost bizarrely incapable of seeing what has actually become of their country. The republic that defined the free flow of information as the life blood of democracy, today ranks 45th among nations when it comes to press freedom. In a land that once welcomed the huddled masses of the world, more people today favor building a wall along the southern border than supporting health care and protection for the undocumented mothers and children arriving in desperation at its doors.

Wade Davis said:
When American friends ask for an explanation, I encourage them to reflect on the last time they bought groceries at their neighborhood Safeway. In the U.S. there is almost always a racial, economic, cultural, and educational chasm between the consumer and the check-out staff that is difficult if not impossible to bridge. In Canada, the experience is quite different. One interacts if not as peers, certainly as members of a wider community. The reason for this is very simple. The checkout person may not share your level of affluence, but they know that you know that they are getting a living wage because of the unions. And they know that you know that their kids and yours most probably go to the same neighborhood public school. Third, and most essential, they know that you know that if their children get sick, they will get exactly the same level of medical care not only of your children but of those of the prime minister. These three strands woven together become the fabric of Canadian social democracy.

It's long, but it's very worth the read.

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, because of a completely different and exclusive set of media, the people that would need to reflect on that article won't ever, ever even hear about it. It basically doesn't matter that people point out the facts again and again when there's an entire industry that completely blocks out all of that stuff. It's like the state run media in fascist states but in this capitalist dystopia, it's the other way around - a big portion of the industry promotes fascism because it's better for business (short term, obviously).

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The final paragraph, for reference:
Wade Davis said:
If and when the Chinese are ascendant, with their concentration camps for the Uighurs, the ruthless reach of their military, their 200 million surveillance cameras watching every move and gesture of their people, we will surely long for the best years of the American century. For the moment, we have only the kleptocracy of Donald Trump. Between praising the Chinese for their treatment of the Uighurs, describing their internment and torture as "exactly the right thing to do," and his dispensing of medical advice concerning the therapeutic use of chemical disinfectants, Trump blithely remarked, "One day, it's like a miracle, it will disappear." He had in mind, of course, the coronavirus, but, as others have said, he might just as well have been referring to the American dream.

Unfortunately, because of a completely different and exclusive set of media, the people that would need to reflect on that article won't ever, ever even hear about it. It basically doesn't matter that people point out the facts again and again when there's an entire industry that completely blocks out all of that stuff. It's like the state run media in fascist states but in this capitalist dystopia, it's the other way around - a big portion of the industry promotes fascism because it's better for business (short term, obviously).

Short-term gains at the expense of the United States' future. It's like poetry.

Mattofrivia

Nov 23, 2017
Great article, seems to articulate the tough subjects and self reflection that stands in the way of actual change in this country. This pandemic has truly shown wear the United States stands, truly, a country more concerned with lining the pockets of the elite than truly being the open, free and accepting country it could be.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like I've read this take four or five times since April. Still rings true, though.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The article is a depressing read but it's not surprising. Our government is beyond dysfunctional and only cares about enriching themselves. We are completely worthless and aren't worth a damn.

COVID has shown that unless you are wealthy, you are truly screwed. No safeguards, no safety net, nothing.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
They don't get rich by exploiting just Americans, they get rich by exploiting the rest of the world while being shield by America military might and economic influences.

If you support UBI for America, you should support the rest of us taxing these companies for UBI too. Anything short of this reflects a NIMBY belief just in a global sense.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Covid has been both a blessing and a curse for America. Not overlooking those we've lost and continue to lose plus getting sick from this awful disease, I don't want to make this sound like I'm saying Covid is good. But when I say it's a blessing, I mean that it has exposed many in our country and around the world to the faults of America and the fact that our current version of this country needs to be burned down and built back up again.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
A friend and I were having a conversation similar to this a few days ago. I was going on about how the coronavirus was the first time in our memory that everyone on the globe was forced to react to the same exact thing — governments, businesses, societies, cultures, individuals — and it revealed the core essence of all those communities. It revealed their values and priorities.

And it revealed every weakness in the US; really got into those cracks and just pried them open. It revealed the US to the world as a place filled with truly stupid and ignorant people, and a nihilistic society willingly feeding itself to corporations and the wealthy in exchange for...something. A chance at more crumbs, maybe. And it revealed the government to unambiguously be a polite fiction — a mere slip covering the naked ambition of the financial class. They threw trillions instantly at Wall Street and bankers without a second thought. They threw billions at corporations without oversight. But they "debate" providing money directly to the citizenry. They seek "compromise" in extending financial breaks to the people. It's a farce put on for their own amusement.

And my friend said that this is basically where the worm turns and our decline accelerates. He thinks the current collapse of our Federal institutions will leave us with a Russian-style oligarchy sooner rather than later, since we're 8/10s of the way there anyway. And also that this is the crossover point between the US and China — China on the ascendent and the US in its unrecoverable decline.

Who in the international community will take the US seriously going forward? An unstable, unreliable nation that may or may not consider itself beholden to agreements its made isn't really an entity that people will trust or have any confidence in. It'll still have a military that it'll fund even if its infrastructure is crumbling to the ground, but all it will be able to do is push around smaller countries — countries who will naturally gravitate to China as it assumes preeminent status, and uses its economic, military, and political power to influence events to its benefit. And the lesson it will share to the world is that you don't need a liberal democracy to have a strong market economy.

I think in the end, the coronavirus has revealed that if you're a smart person seeking a stable society to build a prosperous life, or an older person looking at living the latter part of your life with some measure of dignity, it's not going to happen in the US. This country is built by and for the benefit of the elite at the top, with the masses battling each other like crabs in a bucket.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2020 will absolutely be remembered as the year America fell flat on its face. We'll never be the same country again after this.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
For me, the signal was Trump election. I was honestly shocked how that could happen. The rest is history.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
So what can we do to fix this, or even at least make things less bad for some time as some other nation(s) become the key bodies on the globe? Is there anything that isn't burning it down/replacing current socioeconomic/political systems entirely that can do anything? Or is it our generation and younger that just got stuck holding the bag and we're just assed out?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the signal was Trump election. I was honestly shocked how that could happen. The rest is history.

^this

Trump being elected, even minus 3 million votes to Hillary, was proof America was dead.

I have no faith for the future even if Biden wins because the system is still rigged in favor of conservatives and the only time Democrats win is when the incumbent GoPer really really sucks and nobody can primary them in the GoP.

Africanus II

Oct 26, 2017
So what can we do to fix this, or even at least make things less bad for some time as some other nation(s) become the key bodies on the globe? Is there anything that isn't burning it down/replacing current socioeconomic/political systems entirely that can do anything? Or is it our generation and younger that just got stuck holding the bag and we're just assed out?

Build dual-power while we can in the meantime because we are indeed stuck holding the bag, and the bag is getting new tears everyday.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying not to be negative, but around 35% of the country is beyond hope. And I'd guess another 15-20% doesn't really care either way. I'm not sure we can survive under those circumstances without something absolutely catastrophic that literally forces the foundations of the country to fundamentally change. Perhaps the millions upon millions that are likely to be evicted in the coming months will be the catalyst? Probably not, but the future is terrifying if you're an American in the working / middle class.
^this

Trump being elected, even minus 3 million votes to Hillary, was proof America was dead.

I have no faith for the future even if Biden wins because the system is still rigged in favor of conservatives and the only time Democrats win is when the incumbent GoPer really really sucks and nobody can primary them in the GoP.
Yeah, pretty much. It's been hard for me to come to this conclusion over the past few years, but it's ultimately the truth.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Seems poorly researched as I had no union in any of my retail jobs in Canada...? Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of that quote

Oct 27, 2017
OK Boomer

He talks about Covid being equivalent to a 14th Century plague which is kind of ridiculous. I grew up at the beginning of the AIDS crisis, that was supposed to be the end of the world but science adapted. AIDS is now a chronic condition, people live with it, growing up it was a death sentence. Covid will be the same

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy the argument the article makes, in that fundamentally it's not really like Americans are singularly stupid during this crisis at not wearing masks or refusing to quarantine. What we do have is a government that is headed by someone so inept that he torpedoed his own chance at reelection, and a party that wedded themselves to him and is going down with the ship in the process. Even then, the argument that America is a failed state betrays a total unmooring from reality and sheltering from what an actual failed state looks like.

It's trying to make a grand statement about the current era with a statement that can only be made with the benefit of historical hindsight a generation from now.

OK Boomer

He talks about Covid being equivalent to a 14th Century plague which is kind of ridiculous. I grew up at the beginning of the AIDS crisis, that was supposed to be the end of the world but science adapted. AIDS is now a chronic condition, people live with it, growing up it was a death sentence. Covid will be the same
I really don't get the rush to make Black Death comparisons all the time with the COVID pandemic, especially when the Spanish Flu is sitting right there, far better researched and a true global pandemic.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm all for the downfall of America if it means not exploiting the world/multiple countries for its own gain and to culturally revolutionize to get rid of its shitty exceptionalism mindset.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
America went on life support after Reagan, but the downfall was paved after the second world war. We have one of our two political parties (the GOP) trying to kill it and since the Democrats are not free of corruption we will keep handing power back to the GOP to poison America more. If Trump wins reelection that death will come faster and if he loses it will only come a tad slower.

There is still time to fix it with free healthcare, true equality, fixing and advancing our infrastructure, criminal justice reform, pre Reagan tax rates, investing in green jobs and making the entire country and industries green,investing in and updating the quality of our education, and so much more.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Great article.

I can only speak as someone on the outside looking in (from Canada), but America has been on a serious decline for years. The country is seen as being in shambles by almost everyone I've encountered (and that includes europeans I spoke with on travels). And, I know this gets brought out a trillion times, but every time something like universal health care comes up, people outside of the US cannot believe that such a nation exists without it. It's utterly baffling to watch the debates in the US around it.

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
Covid has been both a blessing and a curse for America. Not overlooking those we've lost and continue to lose plus getting sick from this awful disease, I don't want to make this sound like I'm saying Covid is good. But when I say it's a blessing, I mean that it has exposed many in our country and around the world to the faults of America and the fact that our current version of this country needs to be burned down and built back up again.
Once again Armstrong and Kojima were right

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really don't get the rush to make Black Death comparisons all the time with the COVID pandemic, especially when the Spanish Flu is sitting right there, far better researched and a true global pandemic.
Comparisons to the Plague are better for fear mongering and click baiting.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
That was a depressing read but feels so true. America had all the opportunities and resources to build for the future but it's all been squandered

Same thing is happening in Australia

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's about 3 or 4 years late, this is just confirmation of an established trend

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
The Plunge Protection Team will keep stocks up to mask the US economic collapse until the situation is so dire that keeping up the charade becomes pointless. I worry for how this could destabilize other countries as well.