• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Courtesy of resident expert dgrdsv.

While we're on this topic, the new VRS Tier 2 3DMark test is fairly impressive - little perceptible difference with as much as +50% of performance.

In combination with the flop efficiencies, the RPM, the conservative rasterizer, VRS the 10TF+ Navi in the new console might actually perform like a 20TF+ Polaris part in certain scenarios. That's not even including the RT/AI capabilities.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that straight up doubling the performance of Polaris is grossly optimistic. We have to assume that the scene in 3DMark was crafted specifically to showcase the feature and it is very possible that real world (game engines) scenarios will result in lower gains.

Still, this result is impressive considering that there' little perceptible quality loss with VRS on, especially in motion. If we'll get even half of that in real applications it would put next gen consoles quite a bit above where you would assume they'll be from pure flops numbers.

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Still, this result is impressive considering that there' little perceptible quality loss with VRS on, especially in motion. If we'll get even half of that in real applications it would put next gen consoles quite a bit above where you would assume they'll be from pure flops numbers.

I originally thought VRS is a mere optimistic 15% uplift, but a consistent 25% uplift is pretty awesome.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 tflops? free spinningbirdkick!

if vrs is truly a gamechanger than we might be looking at the unreal engine 4 rebirth demo as the baseline.

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
So this is similar to what foveated rendering does for VR right?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Wish their was some voodoo that would allow this to work on a driver level. It would be great for a high FOV environment like VR. Even without eye tracking, I would still trade lower peripheral fidelity for a large boost in performance.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I originally thought VRS is a mere optimistic 15% uplift, but a consistent 25% uplift is pretty awesome.
Well, +10% is what you're getting in Wolfensteins right now and their implementation of VRS is done as a post-launch PC specific renderer tweak which likely means that it's not ideal. So a +20-25% was always on the table for next gen thanks to VRS, IMO. More than that though? I dunno.

OP
OP
DukeBlueBall

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well, +10% is what you're getting in Wolfensteins right now and their implementation of VRS is done as a post-launch PC specific renderer tweak which likely means that it's not ideal. So a +20-25% was always on the table for next gen thanks to VRS, IMO. More than that though? I dunno.

Is it possible to enable it at the driver level, so that BC games get it for free on consoles / PC without developer work?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite a bit more obvious in full resolution, less-compressed images.
But you'd probably notice it less in motion, especially if the game was using TAA.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
This seems like the sort of thing that will disproportionately benefit consoles. PCs often don't even get the dynamic resolution that console versions do.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's any reason they couldn't output full resolution albedo while doing everything else at a lower shader complexity / res.

This seems like the sort of thing that will disproportionately benefit consoles. PCs often don't even get the dynamic resolution that console versions do.

This isn't dependent on dynamic resolution, it's dynamic shading.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Didn't they implement something similar for the new cod engine for current gen consoles to boost performance?

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Why do previous GPUs never have VRS?

Is there any technical limitation to prevent GPUs from including VRS?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Doesn't get these numbers in Wolfenstein II, benchmarks don't make real world performance.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Interestingly, Microsoft's own VRS benchmark showcased at GDC 2019, based on Civilization VI, only improved performance by 14%.

I'd say a lot depends on the engine and the game.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In concert with CAS for sub-4K titles it should work wonders since a ton of games will likely use TAA

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to enable it at the driver level, so that BC games get it for free on consoles / PC without developer work?
Doubtful. The engine must choose which parts of the final frame can be shaded with lower resolution. Driver probably won't be able to decide on this by itself, especially since it's D3D12 or VK driver.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This would be especially useful in VR situations, while we wait for proper foveated rendering.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there's any reason they couldn't output full resolution albedo while doing everything else at a lower shader complexity / res.
Interesting idea, even if albedo in modern PBR is quite low frequency.
A 'detail texture' kind of additional layer could be possible.

VRS is basically a version of MSAA in which you choose the MSAA shading resolution quite freely during rendering. (Actual resolution and buffer stays the same.)
Why do previous GPUs never have VRS?

Is there any technical limitation to prevent GPUs from including VRS?
This version of VRS needs most likely a hardware alteration to MSAA.
I wonder if this will work well with temporal upscaling. Maybe some parts of the image gets super blurry.
One needs to take account the new sample locations for pixels in TAA, but after that it should work as intended.
Jittered rendering also reduces the 'low res grid' look of VRS.

As always one needs to select correct mipmaps and methods which take account of coarseness of shading. (paper.)

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of performance gains were there in Wolfenstein 2 with VRS enabled? Comparable to this or nah?

(i only have the console version and no turing gpu)

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite a bit more obvious in full resolution, less-compressed images.
But you'd probably notice it less in motion, especially if the game was using TAA.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious, worse yet, is that its highly visible on surfaces that are adjacent to each other, for some reason some areas of the broken wall retain far more detail than others.