• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Hi,

I've never created a thread before, so I apologize beforehand if this is not the right location for it (a mod may move this, if it is the case).

I have a question for the good people of Resetera regarding VRR TV's and soundbars.

Here is my predicament...

I currently have a 60hz 4K, Dolby Atmos / Vision TV from LG. Hooked up to this I have a Sony HT-ZF9 Dolby Atmos soundbar, with 4K pass-through.
I'm looking to upgrade my TV to the latest LG Nano90 with VRR @ 120hz, however the soundbar is only 60hz on the through put, so I can't use it with a VRR display with 4K pass-through and still get 120hz.

In the soundbar's defence it does have eARC though, so the question I'm asking is, can I plug my PS5 / Xbox SX directly into the TV then pass the eARC signal from the TV (via HDMI) to the soundbar? Does this cause any problems regarding the sound out? (potential lip-syncing issues etc)

I'd really like to get a VRR TV, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my soundbar to do so, any advice or other routes considered.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can use eARC that way yes, I think eARC is supposed to eliminate lip syncing issues.

I have a HDMI 2.0 tv with regular ARC and the lip syncing is awful for devices plugged in via HDMI, so I just don't use Dolby bitstream with my consoles. It's perfect with native apps though.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
I use this setup although with a sonos arc soundbar. I also have an LG tv ( 65 GX ). It works flawlessly. The sound goes to the soundbar using EARC with HDMI 2 and al inputs are directly connected to the tv. There are no lip sync issues cause EARC handles this.

OP
OP
DireRaven

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
I use this setup although with a sonos arc soundbar. I also have an LG tv ( 65 GX ). It works flawlessly. The sound goes to the soundbar using EARC with HDMI 2 and al inputs are directly connected to the tv. There are no lip sync issues cause EARC handles this.

Thanks everybody, I suspected as much but just needed a bit of confirmation.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

So there is no input lag at all?

lorclonil

Oct 27, 2017
I have an LG B9 65" with the same Sony HT-Z9F soundbar you have. Also have a PS5 and XSX going directly to the TV and soundbar connected to TV via eArc port on TV. It works amazingly well.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a side note for any folks who don't have a HDMI 2.1 or eARC capable TV, I just ordered a HD Fury Arcana which should hopefully solve my lip sync issues with HDMI devices. Will do a full post when I get it next month and test it.