• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to buying an iPad next week, but I'm really wanting to get an HDMI 2.1 TV instead even though I 100% don't have enough room for one haha

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah. But Some HDMI 2.0b TVs have been rebranded as HDMI 2.1 or something like that, so maybe it's all just about the features that do work or something. The HDMI forum has made an absolute mess of this shit :D
Yeah, I'm even more confused now. I would like to know what people see in the settings menu if their display doesn't support VRR.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Yes, it's 32gbps I believe.

As per the VRR menu on the C1, it says that the PS5 is outputting YCBCR422 8 bit instead of 12 bit RGB

Didn't know that. Well I looked at a HDMI bandwidth calculator and 4k 120hz 4:2:2 at 8bit using roughly 21 Gbps, and 4k 60 12bit RGB uses 24 Gbps, so yes there is a loss. However UHD movies use an even lower 4:2:0 so it may not be that bad. Possibly you may see more banding.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
It's exactly what I expected but damn, it's still amazing how VRR straight up fixes Nioh 2's 120fps mode.

Nioh 1's 120fps mode is locked and it's great, but 2 floats way south of that so I didn't bother. With VRR they feel just about the same now.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
HDMI VRR isn't Freesync, so you can leave it off.
I can leave it on too? Makes no difference to VRR on PS5 then?
You shouldn't have to disable freesync to get Dolby vision on the CX.
It might not be Dolby Vision, I just remember the setting was greyed out in the XSX and when I turned off Freesync on my TV it became enabled. I am old and don't know what I am doing so forgive me :D

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Didn't know that. Well I looked at a HDMI bandwidth calculator and 4k 120hz 4:2:2 at 8bit using roughly 21 Gbps, and 4k 60 12bit RGB uses 24 Gbps, so yes there is a loss. However UHD movies use an even lower 4:2:0 so it may not be that bad. Possibly you may see more banding.
Thanks, I was always curious to know if was noticeable or not

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
ELden Ring improved (Samsung Q70T) so unless it drops below 40 fps my eyes don't notice it too much

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, i meant the circle button on the center of the remote, when you press it, it gives you info on the input.

IMG_0502.jpg

For example here it's Ghostwire Tokyo on my QN90A, it says VRR there but not on the Game Bar.
Ahhh yes I see that now. What was strange is that this doesn't show for all titles, even with the system level toggle set to On for all titles. I only see it appear on this info screen when using one of the explicitly VRR enabled titles (in my case CoF Vanguard). But if I start up GT7 that VRR in the info panel goes away, so it doesn't seem to actually be applying like it says it should?

Oct 28, 2017

Not sure what kind of fuckery Sony is working but my C1 is not showing VRR on but it is showing 120fps and the frame rates on fidelity mode for Miles Morales and Spidey remastered are much smoother. Clearly it's working but for some reason my LG Oled C1 isn't recognizing VRR as being on.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Bloodborne shows fixed frame rate so no LFC damn. Was hoping LFC does wonders for Destiny 1 on Xbox .
Bloodborne doesn't have framerate issues, it's already locked at 30FPS most of the time, it's a framepacing issues due to the cap used, VRR wouldn't have made a single difference.

Btw right now we don't even know if LFC on PS5 works at all, but people said PS4 aren't compatible with VRR anyway so that wouldn't have been working in any case.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So, my G1 is in the bedroom, and currently I have a AVReceiver that isn't HDMI 2.1.
Current setup :
TV => Amp (ARC) <= PS5.

I'd like to add a splitter or something to avoid putting the PS5 directly on the TV (and losing ARC in the process), something like this :
TV <=> SPLITTER <= PS5
=> AV Receiver

Is there a recommended 2.1 Device that would do this ? I basically need the PS5 to go to the TV in HDMI 2.1, and the TV to send ARC to the amp, and can only use 1 cable from the TV.

I have a non-HDMI 2.1 receiver (Denon 2400x) and an LG c9. My PS5 (and XSX) go direct to the TV HDMI 2.1 ports, and the TV's HDMI 2 (the ARC port) goes to my receiver. Works just fine. I turn my TV to the PS5 HDMI input and the audio comes down the ARC HDMI to the receiver (receiver stays switched to HDMI 2)

its only ARC, not eARC (receiver not compatible) so I only get DD5.1 but it still sounds good to me

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure what kind of fuckery Sony is working but my C1 is not showing VRR on but it is showing 120fps and the frame rates on fidelity mode for Miles Morales and Spidey remastered are much smoother. Clearly it's working but for some reason my LG Oled C1 isn't recognizing VRR as being on.

My Sony TV don't show VRR in display, but it work great for me.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017

Weird, my C1 shows VRR ON. Haven't tried Spidey, but tested with R&C and Elden Ring.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Whelp, typical Yamaha. The A4A/A6A/A8A did indeed get the 1.65 update today which supports 4K/120.

But it doesn't support VRR. Two steps forward, one step back.....

Oh well. eARC it is for now.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How are people getting the new update? Just checked my PS5 and it hasn't downloaded it yet...

(In New York)

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Thats why I said something's up.

I just switched to Performance mode and the fps now show 73, 74 standing still. Swinging now shows between high 50's - low 70's.

Isnt the TV supposed to show the actual fps performance if its capable? Spamming the green button on the TV remote eventually shows the VRR and fps.

Unless Fidelity mode just doesnt show the actual fps.
It shows you the current refresh rate the TV is operating at. If you see it fluctuating, then that's a clue that VRR is engaged. It it stays stuck at a constant value, then it is running at a fixed refresh rate.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017

Spidey shows VRR on for me for sure on my C1. Does the PS5 video output information show VRR supported?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If people have pretty recent LG OLEDs (starting with at least the CX), you can mash the green button on your remote a bunch to bring up an output overlay that shows things like if VRR is being recognized in your signal.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was looking forward to buying an iPad next week, but I'm really wanting to get an HDMI 2.1 TV instead even though I 100% don't have enough room for one haha
LG makes 42 inch OLED TVs and other brands even make 28-32 inch monitors with HDMI 2.1. You should have space for that :)

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
It shows you the current refresh rate the TV is operating at. If you see it fluctuating, then that's a clue that VRR is engaged. It it stays stuck at a constant value, then it is running at a fixed refresh rate.
That's the disconnect though. For Elden Ring, it shows a solid 60fps but shows VRR in the info window on the C1. It doesn't show FIXED. So VRR appears to be operating.

For those that have Elden Ring and are saying its much smoother - what sets are you using and if its an OLED - what does your VRR info window show? Does the framerate fluctuate? (I asked this earlier)

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing on my Odyssey G7. VRR control on, Freesync on & Freesync off - VRR option on ps5 just says my tv isn't supported. Thanks Sony.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Excellent, I was excited for VRR but got worried that would make my OLED purchase counterproductive haha.

So then is the "Fine tune blacks" to -3 or -5 the only thing I need to really concern myself with then?

I've never really bothered with that feature once my TV was calibrated. It doesn't exact solve the issue of the flickering gamma in games that are a problem anyway. I have used to on games that don't have true black levels though, but that's not really it's intended purpose.

So with the LG C series you just need to plug in a HDMI 2.1 cable and everything is ready to go. You can also press the green button on the remote about six times (just mash it) to bring up an info display that tells you if VRR is enabled on that game.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Devil May Cry 5 seems fine... some dips around 40ish that doesn't cover VRR, but running at full 4K with Ray tracing is impressive.

It hovers around 40-80. Played with Vergil in 3 stages and felt really impressive.

(You have to toggle Ray Tracing graphics and high framerate)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
So anyone else finding issues with 120 FPS games? Flickering? Purple Lines?

I don't know for sure, but that can be a symptom of a bad or mis-rated HDMI cable. If you have another one to try, it's worth a shot. Higher bandwidth video signals this gen were the first time I found out some of my otherwise working cables had issues.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
No, it isn't. That picture was taken when I was in Performance RT. A mode which holds 60 99% of the time including heavy scenes isn't going to drop to 53 when the character is just standing there.
I will wait for the framerate analysis to come in, but unless Insomniac said they had a 120fps performance mode now I highly doubt it. I have just seen enough people point at their LG TVs fps counter when their console is set to 120hz and say, "wow, look at this frame rate!" When the truth is that it is half of what the number shows. It is possible that once it recognizes that the TV is VRR that performance RT seeks for higher bounds on the dynamic scaler if the FPS is still above a certain threshold since VRR will smooth it out which is why the FPS is lower than 60.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Pretty annoying at how much handshaking goes on now whenever you launch or exit a game. Handshaking for 120fps, then a handshake for VRR etc

Bleh, would be nice if the OS supported VRR so there weren't as many black screens