• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to try VR especially Beat Saber the only thing putting me off is motion sickness.

I have horrible motion sickness, I don't even go on rides and I get dizzy if I go for a drive as a passenger and it's a really windy road.

Just want to know how's everyone's personal experience with it is? If they have motion sickness at all.

Thank you.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I really want to try VR especially Beat Saber the only thing putting me off is motion sickness.

I have horrible motion sickness, I don't even go on rides and I get dizzy if I go for a drive as a passenger and it's a really windy road.

Just want to know how's everyone's personal experience with it is? If they have motion sickness at all.

Thank you.
Beat Saber i feel shouldnt be an issue, you arent moving the blocks come to you

Maddox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yepp i get motion sickness after playing a couple of minutes. It's like real sickness as i almost through up. And i´m a little bit sad about it because i want to play half life and beat saber.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You can try Dramamine. I suffer from some motion sickness and it helped me out greatly. Just pop a pill about 10-30 minutes before throwing on the headset.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so, my experience:
I get sick from being in moving vehicles WAY too easily, just like you. Every single ride longer than an hour I would have to take something to not get super nauseous. So I was super scared of having the same in VR.
And... surprisingly enough I didn't get anything? I may get a little dizzy sometimes depending on what happened and how I moved, but I've been using continuous movement in both Alyx and VRChat and I've been completely fine for now.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I really get motion sickness in VR is if camera controls are taken away from me. Anything in which I can physically turn my body to play (such as shooters and Beat Saber) doesn't bother me at all.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

Thank you.

You could probably play beat saber.

Man I just played Dirt Rally the other night. Driving was ok for a bit bit, but the bumpiness was a bit unsettling, but catching air time while seated, really threw me off. Was done after one race. I don't know how you can fix that for rally games.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so, my experience:
I get sick from being in moving vehicles WAY too easily, just like you. Every single ride longer than an hour I would have to take something to not get super nauseous. So I was super scared of having the same in VR.
And... surprisingly enough I didn't get anything? I may get a little dizzy sometimes depending on what happened and how I moved, but I've been using continuous movement in both Alyx and VRChat and I've been completely fine for now.

Thank you for that, I hope I have the same experience.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
No VR for me as long as this motion sickness problem is around. I mean, come-on: who wants to get sick from playing a game? Let alone playing in short sessions.

Also, 'getting used to it' or taking meds is not a line I'm willing to cross here. I would love to play these games, don't get me wrong. But not at this cost (both financial and health-wise).

I seriously hope they nail it one day. Wonder though what tech it requires?

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Just want to say this game is amazing !!!! i had a lenovo explorer since it came out. I didn't use it a lot since a lot of game gave me motion sickness etc...Really when i play a vr game, i can't do anything after that since i always fet really bad for some hours. ( yeah really until the night :/).

So i was really scared to try this game , i wanted to since it look so cool to play but should i make the jump ? and yes, i did it. And....this is a first game i feel okay playing in it ! and i feel like i m in the game ! everything is so smooth and pretty, everything work like it should ! maybe Microsoft did a good upgrade in software side too since the launch but wow !

I'm so happy to be able to experience a game like this ! i think it has been the best experience in gaming for me ! to get the feeling to be really in the game! to move and look and forget the real world.

I m really bad at fps, so i m playing in story mode, and even like this i had some really hard jump scare and died since i was so afraid hahahhaha

I just put a message about motion sickness on Half life OT. I m in the same situation and Half life did the trick for me. First time ever, i m not feeling bad and i did try a lot of game ( and VR headset too, the first Valve and Oculus) . I heard by a friend that it was feeling sick too and playing with the quest was good.

Oct 26, 2017
Note that you can't really play Beat Saber sitting down. At some points you need to step to the left or right, or duck under obstacles. You can't move that much while sitting.

At least not with the basic version, there may be other options.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
My exposure to VR has been limited, due to simulator sickness. I've got a higher resistance in games where the camera doesn't move around beyond the head movement, but even those I can't deal with for more than 10 minutes at a time. If you want to give it a shot, be sure to take many breaks.

As a point of reference though, I don't get car sick, but I do get queasy from traditional first person games easily.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
I easily get motion sickness and as long as the games have teleport or you don't move at all like beat saber, then it's completely fine.

Any movement where you slide forward makes me feel terrible within minutes so I just avoid those games.

Half life is an absolute blast to play, I have been doing 2 hour sessions and don't feel a thing.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a fundamental misconception people have which is being demonstrated in this topic, and why what people experience shouldn't be called motion sickness. The things that cause motion sickness in people, are not the things that cause VR sickness. A predisposition to getting car sick does not mean you are predisposed to VR sickness.

Really, what people experience are a variety of problems that all have very similar symptoms, that collectively fall under an umbrella term of "VR Sickness." This includes the usual feelings of nausea, but I've also seen people have reactions akin to having a migrane.

To put it simply before I explain further, people prone to motion sickness aren't necessarily prone to VR sickness, and vice versa.

Now, for some of the causes of VR sickness that have been identified:

-The big one is vestibulocochlear disconnect. This is when your eyes report motion that your inner ear does not. The juxtaposition can cause a feeling of nausea in many people. Linear motion forward is usually alright for most people susceptible to this, but lateral rotation is a killer. Teleportation solves this problem entirely, but some people do not like that gameplay mechanic. Other comfort options, like progressively dimming the edges of your vision, can also mitigate this.

-Flicker perception was another big cause of VR sickness. For the vast majority of people, the threshold where they stop being able to perceive the flicker of a screen's refresh is 75 hz (which is why the DK2 ran at that frequency), so most people can't perceive flicker on the consumer headsets. However, some people are extremely sensitive to flicker, and can perceive it even at 120 hz, which can cause nausea.

-Finally, strenuous motions in VR are strenuous the same way they are IRL. If you're one to blow chunks if a plane barrel rolls IRL, then doing that in VR will likely make you sick.

The real solution to VR sickness is to simply offer as many comfort options as possible. The concept of "VR legs" is largely a myth, there are many people who cannot and will not ever acclimate to the things about certain locomotion systems making them sick. The only people who will push onward in an attempt to gain "VR legs," which might never form in the first place, are people who were sold on the technology before even trying it, which isn't the correct way to drive VR adoption.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Been doing VR for awhile now and most of the games use point teleport to move. However, blade and sorcery uses the walk method and the first time I played it I got terrible motion sickness for the first time. Took several tries but I just got used to it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Note that you can't really play Beat Saber sitting down. At some points you need to step to the left or right, or duck under obstacles. You can't move that much while sitting.

At least not with the basic version, there may be other options.
you can turn off the obstacles in settings.
Beat saber sitting is doable, but I wouldn't recommend it.
On lower difficulites it's not too bad, but once you try going to harder ones your arms go dead after a few songs.

I work on a dock lifting boxes all day, and I can play beat saber standing up for an hour or two without an issue, but sitting down just owns me lol. It's so much better when you are using your whole body to get to the notes instead of just your arms.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
No VR for me as long as this motion sickness problem is around. I mean, come-on: who wants to get sick from playing a game? Let alone playing in short sessions.

Also, 'getting used to it' or taking meds is not a line I'm willing to cross here. I would love to play these games, don't get me wrong. But not at this cost (both financial and health-wise).

Well, feeling sick makes sense in some VR games that emulate things like a rollercoaster or flying around in an aircraft. But it's actually not gforce/real motion that's doing it, it's all visual stimuli. In that way VR sickness != motion sickness since your inner ear is not being physically affected. That's probably why most people can get used to VR sickness over time.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017

It's not as much a tech problem as it is a human problem. Our brain is dumb.
Motion sickness most usually happens when our eyes see something that does not match what our body feels.

If my body moves in the virtual world while it does not in the real world, that's when I get motion sick.
I don't think the tech will be able to change that, it's just how it is.

But smart game design can help, so there's that. For example I've no issues playing No Man's Sky with smooth locomotion for 3hours straight, because they did it right (the outer edges of your vision fades to black when you move, I don't know why but this helps). While in some other games I just get sick after 5 minutes (Subnautica did that to me, last time I tried).

With Beat saber that will not be an issue at all, as your character stays in place.
That's actually not an issue in a lot of games, because the developers are aware of that. This is why teleportation-locomotion exists.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Decided not to get it, I figure the motion sickness will get to me and make me regret spending $500.

Thanks anyway for the comments.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Decided not to get it, I figure the motion sickness will get to me and make me regret spending $500.

Thanks anyway for the comments.

It's not motion sickness. It would be VR sickness and you don't even know if you would get it. Try it somehow if you are unsure or buy and test it and send it back if you get sick. As Krejlooc said there are games that do it right and games where you can get wrecked. I don't have problems playing almost every game for hours, but put Drive Club VR into the PS4 and let me crash so that the car turns around and I will immediately get sick. But this is the only exception for me and I haven't played other racers.

Put me on a bus/car without being able to look infront of me and I will get sick too.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
I get motion sickness in busses a lot (though now when I'm adult it is a bit better than I was a kid). I needed to sell my PSVR due to motion sickness that I had. It was better in some games where I was sitting - like Astro Bot, but even then I could only play for around 30 minutes max. In some games, like Wipeout with all the safety features on, I could barely do a lap and I felt terrible for a couple of hours then :(

I was hoping that I'll build my legs bit by bit as some did, but after a month, I still had problems and I just stopped playing. It is a shame, because I enjoyed it, but yeah... I think it depends on a person and cannot be generalized.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Well I rarely get motion sickness. But have problems with VR. Really like VR, hoping future models will work better for me.

Gato

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Its hit and miss with me. For starters, I never got motion sickness with any (non-VR) FPS.

In VR, the Motion Sickness was pretty bad in Ace Combat, RIGS and Resident Evil 7 (before I fiddled with the settings)

The games that didn't give me motion sickness were: Super Hot (stationary duck/cover shooter) Beat Saber, Polybius, No Man's Sky and WipeOut HD(after some tinkering in the settings)

If you use glasses, make sure you keep them on when using the headset and if you feel motion sickness, stop the game and see if changing the settings (most games have alterable VR settings made to reduce motion sickness) helps.

A little talked about feature of the PSVR is being able to watch 3D movies (which I never got any motion sickness from). I watched Gravity in 3D and it was pretty frigg'n awesome. Especially since you can change the size of your viewing screen and it feels like you have your own personal movie theater. Immersion is amazing.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I think the HTC Vive, and I assume Valve Index are great choices for those more prone to motions sickness, since they are designed for perfect tracking, and you can walk around your play space. Just make sure the base stations have clear sight to your headset and controller, and calibrate your place space as shown.

Otherwise, I've only felt motion sickness when there's a disconnect between my player movement and my actual body movements, and on poorly configured play spaces.

Half Life Alyx, Beat Saber, Moss, theBlu should all be fine for you.

Tips
- Choose teleport movement in Half-Life Alyx, full motion movement might make you motion sick.
- Don't play Racing Games
- Avoid fast-motion games, or games with poor framerates/ hitching (such as Subnautica, although that game works fine for me).
- More Powerful GPUs are better for you. This will reduce the chance of poor framerates, or motion slipping.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I've gotten sick from more flat games than I have VR games, and I've had VR for 3.5 years.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
people that are getting sick in standing/static VR games, make sure you're not dropping frames or getting low FPS (if on PC), frame lag, stuttering, low FPS are big causes of VR sickness.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Personally, motion sickness is more of a game issue than anything. Stuff that's not designed well will make you sick. Beat Saber is unlikely to (I played it 3h straight my first time) because you're just standing still. I find typically moving my head around makes me sick in a lot of games (but less so than continuous movement), like for Astro Bot all the head moving started to get to me after 30-60mins.

But I've been playing Half Life Alyx these past few days, moving around like a madman in gunfights and not getting even the slightest hint of it (I have to stop playing because it's physically exhausting instead lol). I even tried out continuous movement (almost made me insta-vomit in RE7) and it didn't make me sick either, so that's something.

I've also found that PSVR is worse on average than the Vive. It seems to glitch more because it uses a camera instead of a tracking zone, so if you turn 90+ degrees one way it spasms a bit.

Tldr: the better designed games probably won't make you sick. Racing games and fast moving environments just don't work too well in the space yet unfortunately.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm also not good at roller coasters but got used to VR pretty quickly.

I think most people should be able to get rid of VR motion sickness since its all done by your brain, not like a roller coaster that is physically trying to turn your stomach around.

Higher fps, lower latency, lighter headsets that generate less heat etc. will probably also help a lot in the future.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I can't read or play videogames while a vehicle is moving but I have no issues with relatively still games like Beat Saber. If I have to navigate using an analog stick, I get motion sick super easily. Same with VR coasters. If I'm physically walking within a small room, no issues.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
VR sickness can vary a lot between different types of games, how they handle motion and also how polished the games are. It is very unfortunate when people start off their journey into VR by jumping into a janky and/or intense VR experience and then write it off as "VR as a whole makes me sick, they really need to solve this!!". At the same time, I can understand why one would not want to put themselves through that terrible feeling again.
But for people worried, my advice is: find games that are known to be low intensity in terms of VR sickness, do some research. If it feels comfortable, step things up.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I get terribly car sick, but feeling perfectly fine in vr. The only game that gave me any sort of trouble is Hellblade.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
I also get car sick on pretty much any journey over 20/30 mins unless I'm driving. I'm also not that great on roller coaster rides etc.

I'm generally fine with VR and use smooth locomotion with no problems. However there are some VR games that I can't play for very long before feeling a bit unwell. I can't put my finger on what it is. Thief Simulator made me feel sick whereas Boneworks was a breeze.

I would say that you'll never know for sure unless you try it.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm like you in that I get motion sick very easily in cars, boats, planes, etc.

But I don't get sick in good VR games, not even a hint of it. I primarily play roomscale / standing games and don't play games with traditional movement (e.g. with analogue sticks) as those make me feel bad. I paid attention early on pre-launch of Vive & Rift to the challenges of VR game design and mostly stuck to these principles ever since. I've dipped in and tried games like Boneworks - but that made me ill so I stopped - tried continuous movement in HL:A and made me feel a little funny so I went back to teleport/shift.

Beat Saber - as long as there's no performance issues on your setup - shouldn't make you sick.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have it, fortunately.

I felt weird couple of times after trying VR for the first time, but now I'm used to it - and I don't play a lot. I play Alyx for 1 hour per session (cause I just don't like the feeling of headset on my head to play more :P). I haven't touched my Rift for 2 months before that and no problems at all.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Never had any motion related symptoms with VR, but quite a lot of strange sensations afterwards. Like my own hands have felt funny and/or reality's been somehow distant and weird.

The worst thing that has happened was when I bought Farpoint with Aim Controller and breezed through the game in 4 sessions in 2 days. There were some weapons with scopes and I used them like in real life by closing my left eye and that fucked it up. For about six months my left eye was sore, dry and felt like it was crooked or something. I went to a doctor twice and they examined the it and just told me to use some lubricating eye drops. Thankfully it got gradually better and it's totally fine now. After that I have always kept my both eyes open while playing in VR and have had no similar problems.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have zero problems with motion sickness and I still can't do free movement in VR. One does not necessarily correlate with the other.

Mar 29, 2018

Thank you.

Motion sickness from VR is very different to motion sickness from other mediums, in my experience. For example, my mother can't look at a normal videogame for more than about 2 minutes or she gets sick. She also can't experience acceleration or deceleration in a car, train, etc much or she will get very sick.

But VR? She can play VR for hours on end and feel fine. I think it's the fact that VR is locked to your head, and at high enough frame rate your brain cannot tell it's not seeing real life.

Either way, how to ensure you're safe as possible from motion sickness in VR:
  • only play at securely high frame rates. You need to play on VERY high end hardware to ensure the frame rate is as high and stable as possible. Play on sub-par hardware and the framerate will get inconsistent, freezing your vision or making the world jerk around, which freaks your brain out and makes you very likely to get sick
  • using teleport locomotion only. You MIGHT be fine with sliding movement/locomotion, and you can build up "VR legs" to get better at it - but to begin with for sure, you should only be using teleport locomotion. Ensures your vision won't move without your head's OK
  • avoid indie games or lower budget games. These are more likely to have rough design and bugs or problems, including ones where your camera/vision will get moved by accident or by force when your head is still. This is the main cause of motion sickness and is a bad one. If you play "AAA" VR games with high budgets and by well established publishers/studios, you're very likely to be safe.
  • play games with "lighter" intensity VR ratings. Should be self explanatory
Note OP that Oculus Quest is a SUPER curated VR store. Oculus don't let anything go on there without it being extremely robustly tested for performance and comfort options etc. Recommend it.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never had motion sickness, being on a boat would somewhat make me feel slight discomfort, 5min of Driveclub VR and I'm out for hours feeling really sick. Other VR experiences while better, made me kind of sick after 20min. Sold the headset. I even get VR sick just sitting in a virtual car and looking around, while nothing is moving (on high end VR devices/PC) at work.

I really think its different from person to person.