• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Several hours in seated games (racing games, Elite Dangerous).

Most games are not high in locomotion so motion sickness is not an issue.

Heavy locomotion games (eg Windlands) I don't touch at all, generally, or I will get sick fast.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
3 Hours roughly - Not nausea or anything like that, just my eyes getting fatigued from being so close to screens.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I've generally kept Alyx sessions to about an hour. I probably went like 2+ when I actually got to the end.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Depends on the game and the movement. Anything with active locomotion with knock me out in 20 minutes or so, but I played Alyx with teleport for maybe 8 hours in one sitting and felt fine the whole time (though I did have to reset my headset every hour or so for about 30 seconds, which may have helped).

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I can't really test how long as I don't have the opportunity to game that long anyway but I can do two hours in a flight.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
No limit that i know of, i probably put a solid 8 hours into half life alyx when i first played it.

i cant last to long usually, especially with the kinkier stuff

x1yXTU5.gif

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Think I've gone like 2-4 hours numerous times on Skyrim, No Mans Sky, Borderlands, and Wipeout at least. I have smooth moving on when possible, all VR blinders and sickness aids turned off. I stop mainly because I don't have more time, not from VR sickness. I got over that pretty well....Megaton Rainfall did that with its full 360 freedom graveling at near light speeds sometimes.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Did fine playing the whole iron vr demo.

Vomited after two hours in rigs.

Vomited and passed out after ten minutes in Robinson lol.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It all the depends on how shaky the camera is.
Skyrim on angled quick turns: I could play 4-hours and still keep on playing
Beat Saber: Same, I'm usually good for 2 hours and I stop due to physical exhaustion
Astrobot: 30 mins and I feel sick

In fact, I once watched a friend of mine play dead space 2 and she tends to flail Isaac around constantly. I got sick for the rest of the evening, and that's not even a VR game!

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
it will be around for a very long time but not for me as i have motion sickeness , sadly

OP
OP
ussjtrunks

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
interesting to see people complain about smooth motion (full analog movement) as I don't really mind it, I prefer it over the teleport tbh

For me the index is very comfortable I feel almost no pressure, the padding is fantastic and I don't really notice it getting overly hot either. The 120hz in Alyx especially is awesome

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my longer-end sessions are in-line with my normal gaming sessions so like... 4 hours?

boneworks stresses that a bit though lol

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It depends on the game - how clear it is and how often I have to change what I am focusing on. For the most part I need a 5 minute breather every 45 minutes or so.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
My peak was about 90 minutes, but I usually tap out after 45-60 minutes. It's been awhile so right now maybe 20.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
40 minutes or so. It's mostly because I'm using the Oculus Quest and the thing is not comfortable at all.

It's not motion sickness related. The thing just hurts my head.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If I play Alyx for longer than 2hrs I can start to feel abit wobbly, I take a break for a few hours before playing again (I'm playing with full camera movement and analog movement). How long do ye usually spend in VR at a time or is it something you get used to the more you use it?

It depends on what it is that I'm playing. Something like Bigscreen VR? 4 hours no problem. If I'm playing Half Life Alyx, something, like 2 - 2:30 hours, but it's not because I feel sick, but for me and I thing that in general, playing in VR is a lot more demanding physically and mentally than playing traditional flat games.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With bonine most likely all day. Without it maybe 3-4 hours maybe longer. Just depends on the way the game runs.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Depends on the game. The longest one probably around 20-30 minutes, take a short brake and continue again.
The shortest one around 5 minutes.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
People that play with Full Stick movement are fucking wizards to me. I have gotten pretty good and I've gotten to the point where the strain of the Quest Headset gets to me before the motion sickness now. But literally like 5-10 minutes of full stick controls kills me... how do people do it?!

So I'm at about 1 hour (with teleporting) 1hr30m if I push it.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
About 30 minutes before I start getting a splitting headache. Even after I take the headset off the headache persists for a bit. It's a big reason why I've pretty much given up on VR as far as a viable long term platform for me.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I get a little sick if I lay too long like 2 hours but i can lay in my back and use it as a static camera in Skyrim all day

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Sitting down? Hours upon hours.
Standing/Roomscale games with teleport? 1-3 hours in general. Mostly because it just gets physically tiring after that amount of time jumping /crouching / moving around.
Standing games that force smooth locomotion on you? Usually under an hour before I need to take a break. Except for Lone Echo, I could do that for multiple hours, I guess not having a consistent ground to compare motion makes it easier on my brain.

OP
OP
ussjtrunks

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
The puzzles In VR even if they are simple can take me awile cos my brain doesn't seem to work as well while in VR

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i can play indefinitely for the most part. obviously i won't be playing a VR game for 2+ hrs on end like world of warcraft or something but it's never been a problem

only weird exception is Alien Isolation with the VR mod. not because it's creepy AF but the FOV or something made me want to puke

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It really depends on the game. A flight sim game like UltraWings limit me to around 30-45 min. Other games like Walking Dead Saints and Sinners can be 2h and maybe more. I haven't tried. Stuff like Beat Saber can keep on going forever.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
As long as I'm not playing Wipeout, I can play for a normal gaming session (4-5 hours). With Wipeout, though, I can only play 3-4 races before I start feeling weird.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
People that play with Full Stick movement are fucking wizards to me. I have gotten pretty good and I've gotten to the point where the strain of the Quest Headset gets to me before the motion sickness now. But literally like 5-10 minutes of full stick controls kills me... how do people do it?!

So I'm at about 1 hour (with teleporting) 1hr30m if I push it.
Are you sitting or standing? I suggest sitting initially so that your body is supported more.

Then in your mind, map controller movements to VR visual feedback. For example, if turning left, sway your body left. You have more support if you are sitting. Condition your mind to mimic VR visual feedback to controller inputs.

Practice makes perfect. If starting to feel sick, stop and rest for 48 hours. Continue again for a bit longer, like exercising. Rinse and repeat to build tolerance.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alyx makes me more queesy because the VR is kind of limited. Other games I can last for 4-5 hrs, Alyx made me a bit sick after 90minutes.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
The first week with the default Vive strap I could do maybe 2h of VR before feeling a headache, got the deluxe audiostrap and ever since then my only limit is boredom or hunger or bathroom brakes, don't sleep on a comfy head strap people.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I want to play for. After playing a lot of VR using a DK2 years ago, I no longer get sick from playing anything.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I generally don't play anything on PSVR for more than an hour or two at a time. There's only been a few games that actually made me feel ill after longer than 20 minutes, RIGS being the main offender. Starblood Arena also gave me difficulty when I got cute with my flying (going upside down, etc.). I played RE7 for hours on end and didn't have an issue.

What was interesting to me was a friend tried RE7 - without ever having tried VR before - and he felt queasy in 10 minutes.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the major problems with VR is that it's really only enjoyable for short sessions, but I don't want to go to the hassle of setting it all up unless I intend to play for hours. So it's this issue of "Would I like to play a few songs in Beatsaber or a few Astrobot levels? Yeah, but I don't really want to deal with all that shit just for a 30 minute session."

Usually I only break out the PSVR unless there's a new game or demo out that I have been wanting to try. After many months I finally put on the headset for Iron Man VR and while it's fun, I have a hard time wanting to go back for more.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
At first, smooth locomotion made me sick after 5-10 minutes. After many attempts, I gave ginger candy a shot. It worked instantly, so I just kept eating it before/during sessions. After a few weeks, I tried without it, and realized I had my legs.

Nowadays the only discomfort I get is because I crank the side straps to 11 for specifically fast-paced competitive games like Echo Arena. My face burns after 60-90 minutes. I'm wondering if a thirdparty face cover with more grip might stop the wobble without needing so much pressure.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Depends on the game, if it's just standing 360° play with shooting, climbing and puzzles then as long as I can last sitting in front of a TV. If it's a game like elite dangerous then around 2 hours.

If it's the vomit coaster that I deliberately use to strengthen my VR legs (Aircar) with stupid twisting and diving maneuvers? well the longest I lasted was an hour and ugh.... that was the only time in my life I almost puked from VR.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
2-3 hours , i guess same as a regular gaming session for me. After that I need a break VR or regular