• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just found out about this, and saw people talking about it in the eshop thread, thought others might be interested too.

www.nintendo.com

Voxelgram for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Voxelgram and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.
Voxelgram is a relaxing 3D puzzle game where you sculpture models by following logical hints. No guessing involved, only deduction and dioramas made out of solved puzzles!

It is a 3D variation of nonograms/picross.
  • 176 puzzles
  • 18 dioramas

the game is also available on steam, has a demo, and has good user reviews:

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Looks like a neat idea. I like that the completed puzzles make up a 3D diorama.
I've been super into Picross lately (to the point that I can't really call it relaxing anymore, some of those are hard), this could mix things up a bit.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the steam version and the UI is not as polished to use as Picross 3D. I wish HAL would just make a new one for switch or port the existing game.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
As a Picross lover with a 19 hour travel journey coming up in a couple of months, and never played 3D Picross... basically gonna buy this on the spot

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've never loved the 2D Picross clones, they're never quite the same and I've got no shortage of Picross. But I'm all out of 3D Picross, I gotta try this.

reviews
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (70)
OpenCritic (??)

Mental Health Gaming (no score):
It all comes together wonderfully, making Voxelgram is a joy to play and the latter puzzles (or which there are over 150) get very taxing. Solving them will make you feel great about yourself.

Because the puzzles are purely logic based, you never feel cheated. You know that you will find a solution, just by going over the key rules for Picross and thinking about what you need to do.

If you have any interest in logic puzzles, then pick up Voxelgram. For the ÂŁ5.79 you'll pay, you get plenty of content. Making this worth every single penny and then some.

4colorrebellion (no score):
Voxelgram is an immensely satisfying puzzle game. It's the perfect kind of game to play on the Switch as you relax in the evening. My biggest disappointment is that there isn't more of it - I completed it in under 15 hours. Still, if you're interested in a logic-based puzzle game, Voxelgram is well worth investigating.

LadiesGamers.com (mixed):
I went into this wanting to like it. Unfortunately, while the graphics are nice, the game is just too difficult and navigationally awkward to enjoy for me.

I think with a couple of navigation tweaks and more complete numbering this would be a very fun and challenging puzzler, but for me it was bit too frustrating.

GamePitt (10/10):
Voxelgram is a brilliant 3D Picross game, exactly what the Switch has been waiting for. Whether you wish to use your Joy-Cons and play on the TV, or utilise your fingers and touch the screen, the game is very simplistic and intuitive in its design, ensuring that everyone can simply pick it up and play without any issues. My personal preference was to use the official Nintendo Stylus as it filled me with nostalgia for similar games back on the Nintendo DS and 3DS.

If you're a fan of Picross puzzles, or simply logic-based puzzles in general, Voxelgram is a no-brainer – you should buy this game.

PS4blog.net (8/10):
Voxelgram is a lot of fun to play on Nintendo Switch. With 176 puzzles and 18 dioramas to play, it offers good value for its low $7.99 asking price. If you're a fan of nonograms, then you should definitely get this one. If you loved 3D Picross on the Nintendo 3DS – and/or its sequel – then this is one game you can't miss!

Nintendo World Report (7.5/10):
I have some misgivings with Voxelgram. It comes at the Picross 3D throne and misses in some respects, but in a world where virtually none of this type of game exists, this is a precious gem. This game succeeds well enough to capture the majesty of Picross 3D on Nintendo Switch. While I'd love to see more charm and smoother controls, I'm just thrilled to be playing one of my favorite kinds of puzzles again, and with the prospect of procedurally generated puzzles, I'll hopefully always have more to go back to when I feel the urge to chill out to a good puzzle. Even with just the 170 base puzzles though, Voxelgram is an enjoyable puzzle game.

Vooks (3.5/5):
Voxelgrams shows that a 3D Picross game can work on the Switch. It doesn't work as well as it did on previous handhelds, but it does the job well. If you're willing to spend some time getting used to the controls then you'll be navigating around the puzzles with little drama. With 176 puzzles packed in for a good price, it will help fill the void with some 3D Voxelgrams. If you're after a relaxing game with few pressures I would also recommend kicking back, turning up the sound and taking it easy with Voxelgram.

Seafoam Gaming (7/10):
In conclusion, Voxelgram offers a fully functioning and enjoyable take on the Picross 3D formula. It really doesn't do much besides offer a new set of puzzles to take up in the absence of Jupiter's offerings, but considering how much 2D picross-esque games have been milked on the Switch eShop as of late, it's very nice to see the other side of the formula given some love, and while Voxelgram still has some clunky controls and doesn't bother to add much new or do anything to the formula, it still was a fun puzzler and will definitely fill the Picross 3D void in your heart.

Switch Player (3.5/5):
Voxelgram is a very playable take on the Picross phenomenon and its twist gives some highly attractive results. However, the game inevitably sacrifices some of its playability with the jump into that third dimension and the control challenge that emerges.

Video Chums (3/5):
If you enjoy Picross 3D and want to play a similar game on Switch then Voxelgram will definitely provide hours of head-scratching fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ooooooh dear. looks the camera controls are inverted and you can't change them. fml.

edit: played a bit more. the UI and controls take a bit to get used to, but it feels good to play a 3d picross.

Last edited:

denisqc

Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
the controls really take a bit to get around.
so far the biggest confusion is to swap layers, you have to rotate with the right stick the view to get to change the layer betweenn length and with ( for the picross 3d 2 users, the red and blue arrows)
once you got it it becomes easier

edit 2 : really fast to download, not a big game
and even with the downpoints ( controls, UI, etc) it is a good game. for 2 devellopers only, a good game :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the controls really take a bit to get around.
so far the biggest confusion is to swap layers, you have to rotate with the right stick the view to get to change the layer betweenn length and with ( for the picross 3d 2 users, the red and blue arrows)
once you got it it becomes easier

edit 2 : really fast to download, not a big game
and even with the downpoints ( controls, UI, etc) it is a good game. for 2 devellopers only, a good game :)
yeah really small game, only 57 MB
and yeah, impressive for a game made by one guy (other than the music)
i'm enjoying it, once you get used to the controls there's not much to complain about

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I love picross and Picross 3D on the DS. I never picked up the sequel though as it was digital only in the U.S. and $30.

Playing Voxelgram right now and I'm getting used to the controls. The music grew irritating so I muted my Switch and put on something better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
was talking to the dev on twitter, and he's planning on adding an inverted camera option. good stuff.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked that Steam demo. Going straight to the top of the wishlist.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Great that this is getting attention. Will buy as soon as I get my switch in my hands in a few minutes

Ruffy666

Oct 27, 2017
Excited for some more 3D Picross but I hate hate hate the interface. Is there a way to turn off the automatic disappearing layers? I find it really disorienting. This function is mapped to ZL and ZR so why have it both ways? It should always be under the player's control.
Otherwise, appreciate the clean no muss/no fuss aesthetic.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
After playing the demo on PC, I will get it there instead lol
I don't think I'll be able to live without right-click camera.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
(to the point that I can't really call it relaxing anymore, some of those are hard)
Are you me? lol

I did the Konami picross game on phones and just when I thought I'd finally be free of that Picross-obsession by hitting 100%, the game sprungs the Expert Mode on the player. ; ___ ;

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
After playing the demo on PC, I will get it there instead lol
I don't think I'll be able to live without right-click camera.
Yeah, the mouse / kb controls are pretty good.

The Controller activates that auto-hide layer feature. It's very weird, and doesn't happen with M/KB. I wonder if that's an option.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The controls on PC are kinda not great but serviceable, but the controls on switch are hot garbage. Desperately needs a usability pass and a patch with new options.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after getting used to the controls, really enjoying my time with it. i'm even starting to like the song (was out of podcasts today). but still, this makes me want an official picross 3D even more.

i'm already 120/170, i hope more levels are added later.

Last edited:

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
An update was just pushed out on PC/Steam that features these improvements that will probably make it to the Switch soon:

Also based on feedback from Switch players, I've added options to invert gamepad X/Y axis and disable auto layer hiding when using gamepad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An update was just pushed out on PC/Steam that features these improvements that will probably make it to the Switch soon:

Also based on feedback from Switch players, I've added options to invert gamepad X/Y axis and disable auto layer hiding when using gamepad.
the dev tweeted about that:

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried the steam demo and loved it.
Now i'm just not sure whether i should get it on pc, where it seems the controls are much better than on switch based on the steam demo, or on switch where i'll actually be able to play it since i mostly play these days during my bus rides.
Are the switch controls issues only those said to soon be patched by the dev, or are there more?

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I hate 3d picross.

I love 2d picross, and i love just using a dpad and see all the info I need on one screen.
I hate dicking around with the stylus and having to move shit around.
Wish 2d picross would get the same amount of presentation.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it 100%. It took a while to acclimate to the controls, but once I did, I was flying through the levels.
I'd probably give it a 3.5/4 out of 5.

voxelgram.jpg

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm gonna go ahead and say I got used to the controls surprisingly quickly, after feeling like they'd take serious effort to master I started flying through the early levels and I've gotten super used to them 50+ levels in. I can see why they're hit or miss but they really clicked for me and I'm finding the implementation clever and comfortable.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Errrm. I have no idea what I have to do. lol
I'm staring at the first level for 20 minutes now. What's the difference between marking blocks und removing them?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Errrm. I have no idea what I have to do. lol
I'm staring at the first level for 20 minutes now. What's the difference between marking blocks und removing them?
i don't blame you, the tutorial is not the best.
watch this, it explains things a bit better. the rules are pretty much the same in voxelgrams, other than for rows that have several groups of blocks but are divided. in voxelgram it says exactly how many groups there are but in regular 3D picross it only does for 2 groups (marked by a circle), or 3 and higher (marked by a square)

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
i don't blame you, the tutorial is not the best.
watch this, it explains things a bit better. the rules are pretty much the same in voxelgrams, other than for rows that have several groups of blocks but are divided. in voxelgram it says exactly how many groups there are but in regular 3D picross it only does for 2 groups (marked by a circle), or 3 and higher (marked by a square)

Thanks! The tutorial does explain anything.
whats the difference between the grey and black numbers?