• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.vox.com

US Park Police said using "tear gas" in a statement was a "mistake." It just used the term again.

The new statement denying use of tear gas in a protest near the White House comes after immense criticism, including from Congress.

A US Park Police spokesperson said in an interview it was a "mistake" to insist in a statement on Tuesday that it didn't use tear gas the day before in Lafayette Square to disperse a crowd ahead of President Trump's photo op, explicitly noting that pepper balls shot by officials irritate the eyes and cause tears.
"The point is we admitted to using what we used," Sgt. Eduardo Delgado said. "I think the term 'tear gas' doesn't even matter anymore. It was a mistake on our part for using 'tear gas' because we just assumed people would think CS or CN," two common forms of tear gas.
Delgado's call to me Friday was an attempt to clear up a statement the Park Police released Tuesday, the day after reporters on the scene outside the White House said officers used tear gas on peaceful protesters. The statement from acting Chief Gregory Monahan said that no tear gas was used by any federal force present, but that the Park Police itself "employed smoke canisters and pepper balls."
"I'm not going to say that pepper balls don't irritate you," Delgado said, noting they contain capsicum, an irritant derived from pepper plants. "I'm not saying it's not a tear gas, but I'm just saying we use a pepper ball that shoots a powder."
---------------------------------------
On Friday, Delgado maintained their original statement was accurate as it relates to the Park Police: "no tear gas was used by USPP officers." US Park Police used only those non-lethal weapons as law enforcement forcibly pushed peaceful protesters away from the White House. In fact, he said — as he has before — that his agency doesn't carry tear gases known as CN, even though canisters of all of them were found on the scene. As for CS, the agency doesn't carry the specific type found on the Square, but it does carry CS in general.
"It was kind of a fault on our part just not saying in the first place 'we did not use CN or CS, we used smoke and pepper balls,' and that would've made it a moot point," Delgado said. Some people claim we purposefully tried to mislead by "saying we didn't use tear gas, we used pepper balls. ... That was not our intention."
The goal was to be "transparent" about what the Park Police used, he continued. "Everybody went on a tangent saying 'Well, isn't a pepper ball tear gas?' And it's like, 'I don't know.' I'm just telling you what we used and what we didn't use."
Altogether, Delgado — on behalf of the US Park Police — conceded the agency displayed an error in judgment with its emphatic Monday statement that led the Trump campaign to demand retractions from reporters, including me.

WaPo headline on Wednesday:

svTixiV.png

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they can blatantly lie like this is just ridiculous

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
At least they've moved from "we didn't use it" to "we used it but it was a mistake" which is closer to the truth.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Onion has some competition with that headline lol

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
he says they don't use CN or CS and yet CS canisters were picked up by journalists at the location. maybe the Secret Service used them, he says? guess what, the SS denies using them too!

all I know is I am never trusting any police reports or statements again, ever.

cosmod

Feb 24, 2018
I figured the reason didn't use strong tear gas was because Trump was going to walk over there 15 minutes later and he would have cried his eyes out.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, wonder what I was coughing from on the weekend when park police deployed "smoke canisters." Sure felt like tear gas.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy

June 2nd:

Olivia Nuzzi@Olivianuzzi

INBOX: Trump campaign orders the media to "correct or retract" reporting that accurately described yesterday's protests, live footage of which plainly showed viewers what happened.

cBrLiX3.png

6:30 PM - Jun 2, 2020

this isn't even Park PD issuing a retraction though. it's basically them clarifying that when they said they didn't use tear gas, they meant they didn't use CN or CS. but CS canisters were literally recovered by journalists who were there at the time! so they are still lying!

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they all refer to "The Trump Campaign" and not "the Trump administration" when reporting about this?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
this isn't even Park PD issuing a retraction though. it's basically them clarifying that when they said they didn't use tear gas, they meant they didn't use CN or CS. but CS canisters were literally recovered by journalists who were there at the time! so they are still lying!

Yep - so come January do we fire them all?

Zamorro

Oct 25, 2017
Lie and retract days later.

Almost nobody reads the retraction and the lie has been implanted in the minds of the population.

Repeat.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
"We didnt use guns, we used other kinds of bullet propelling objects that use gunpowder as a propellant"

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Once again, the Trump admin has successfully changed the narrative.

What it SHOULD be: it is NOT FUCKING OKAY to use force like that on peaceful protesters, especially not for a stupid photo op, and doubly especially not on the clergy from the church where the photo op was held. It is a very clear, uncontestable violation of the Constitutional rights of those citizens.

What is now is: a debate over what specific type of tear gas was used.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe these folks don't understand how video works? Seems to be a running theme this week, numerous people not understanding that WE CAN FUCKING SEE YOU, MORONS.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Of course the US Park Police would lie and retract days later. The cops in every city lie to get the headlines they want. Then a few days later oops it wasn't actually the case.

The SAME pattern OVER and OVER again in EVERY city.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The mistake WAS FUCKING TEAR GASING THEM YOU FUCKS, NOT SAYING YOU DIDN'T. HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS?! WHERE IS YOUR FUCKING EMPATHY!