• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Real change is incremental? I'm sorry but that's pure conservative centrist bollocks. Historically all revolutionary movements in society happened in breakthrough points that forced real change, and then they incrementally settled in a new status quo. If we want to end capitalism we just need enough people with the will to do so, no need to wait or do incremental steps for no reason.

Which change are you talking about? Feudalism still exists in rural parts of the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Real change is incremental? I'm sorry but that's pure conservative centrist bollocks. Historically all revolutionary movements in society happened in breakthrough points that forced real change, and then they incrementally settled in a new status quo. If we want to end capitalism we just need enough people with the will to do so, no need to wait or do incremental steps for no reason.
It's not for no reason, that's the point.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The "ridiculous strawman" seemed pretty subdued compared to some of the stuff I regularly see on leftist Twitter. All her points are extremely on target, especially the part about the tiny, tiny group of leftists somehow magically expecting to "end capitalism" and spark some kind of vague planet-changing-yet-somehow-bloodless revolution. Real change is incremental and takes a long time, and none of us will see any definitive end to capitalism in our lifetimes. That's a multi-century process.

This whole post is just punching left nonsense but I wanna know who these people are that expect a bloodless revolution.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I think the point being made is that the lead up, to said critical points can take a long time. Enough people need to be enough fed up to get up and do something. People don't go from being okay with the current system, to being ready to storm the bastille in 1 day.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Also, just an observation, but must there always be a hunt for a reason to be offended? Just accept this contribution to the discussion for what it is.

Fuck that. Pathetic "liberal ally" but only if you like the personality, right?

Right wing? Pardon me but that's a little presumptuous. I just fail to see where the attack is coming from. Anyways I can read the room and will take my leave of the thread. Thanks for posting the vid op, it was great 🙂

Oh, so you don't give a shit. Fuck the non conformist and Enbys, I like the pretty Natalie! Just quoting you before you flee. Sadly you aren't alone...

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Since the video isn't as self-indulgently long as previous ones, I actually watched the whole thing. I really don't get the point of this video other than her venting about a group of people she considers to be an extreme minority, and trying to convince them to vote. The use of Tabby as a straw person given her record is yet another bad decision continuing the streak.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Man every chance she has been given to make amends or simply stop messing with non binary people she doesn't...People gotta stop giving her chances.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
Since the video isn't as self-indulgently long as previous ones, I actually watched the whole thing. I really don't get the point of this video other than her venting about a group of people she considers to be an extreme minority, and trying to convince them to vote. The use of Tabby as a straw person given her record is yet another bad decision continuing her streak.

Yeah, by her own admission in the comments.

Hey all, this was originally just going to be a four-minute PSA telling people to vote, but I couldn't stop thinking about catgirls calling me a neoliberal hack, so I started having imaginary arguments with the imaginary catgirls and then I realized fuck it, that's a video.

Like, I get the point, getting people to vote it's important, but by her own math in the video the people she is trying to "convince" are an extreme minority, so why waste the energy on that instead of making the 4 minute video to her core audience who might be on the fence of voting/not at all?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought it was a good video, especially the bit about ideation. sad but kind of true. even as someone who is critical of b*den, there is more opportunity for change with him than with tr*mp.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, by her own admission in the comments.

Like, I get the point, getting people to vote it's important, but by her own math in the video the people she is trying to "convince" are an extreme minority, so why waste the energy on that instead of making the 4 minute video to her core audience who might be on the fence of voting/not at all?
Ah, so it come down to her ego as usual.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Right wing? Pardon me but that's a little presumptuous. I just fail to see where the attack is coming from. Anyways I can read the room and will take my leave of the thread. Thanks for posting the vid op, it was great 🙂
Running away, eh? How surprising that the "why are you looking for a reason to be offended" types are so cowardly.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
In the video she also mentions that she regretted not making a video supporting a vote for Bernie during the primary as she thought it was in the bag. Losing the primary convinced her to make a video for voting in the actual election.
I get that but as I brought up she's specifically targeting a group of people she considers to be an extreme minority. It should have just been a short PSA video.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh, so you don't give a shit. Fuck the non conformist and Enbys, I like the pretty Natalie! Just quoting you before you flee. Sadly you aren't alone...
I try to stay out of Contra threads at this point even though I'm trans but I want to encourage people to be critical of impulses to give in to transmisogynist framing like the bolded just because you dislike her.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good video. The point about ideological echo chambers hits especially hard in light of the actual Twitter usage numbers.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
A generous reading of Tabby is she took attributes from all the people who canceled her, made a person out of them, and is gonna troll the shit out of them. That's still needlessly petty.

A galaxy-brained take you can pull from the cringe video is that Natalie probably identifies with her Tabby persona a lot more than she'd openly admit.

In either case, it's not really ingratiating herself towards all the people she's pissed off, and it's not a good look.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I feel my entire body changing into the gritting teeth emoji every time Natalie posts a new video. She seriously cannot just stop with her antagonism.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018

Although her imaginary conversation is against a far leftist revolutionary communist (or a parody of one), I think at least some of these talking points are not uncommon in more moderate people, so it is worthwhile for Contrapoints to engage with those ideas.

And even if we take her napkin math that far leftists revolutionary communists are like 0.1% of the US population at face value, that's still a voting block of a couple of hundred thousand people. Also, if the far left has an outsized impact on discourse, then encouraging them to actually be practical about how they engage with politics could help move the needle in the future.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I get that but as I brought up she's specifically targeting a group of people she considers to be an extreme minority. It should have just been a short PSA video.

Sure a short PSA would have been fine though the points made in the video are pretty good. The majority of points in the video are validating/agreeing the points of rose twitter with some caveats of nuance added on.

A good part of that is admittedly undercut by some heavy handed snark.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
A generous reading of Tabby is she took attributes from all the people who canceled her, made a person out of them, and is gonna troll the shit out of them. That's still needlessly petty.

A galaxy-brained take you can pull from the cringe video is that Natalie probably identifies with her Tabby persona a lot more than she'd openly admit.

In either case, it's not really ingratiating herself towards all the people she's pissed off, and it's not a good look.

She always identified with Tabby from what I know. Tabby has always been used by her as an internal dialog about praxis specifically. Tabby is her own persona that she is always in conflict with because she agrees with the key points but not the methodology, which is what happens again in this video.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Another well-made video and I agree with her. I'm not a fan of Biden by any means, but change is incremental and a Biden administration will help us get to that change rather than another 4 years of Trump. We are not in a position to get picky.

Change isn't necessarily incrimental...or at least not always, since rapid changes often take place during and following disruptive events. Furthermore, change is often incrimental because it is resisted. Not because it is reasonable process negotiated by reasonable people.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand how she became a role model to people, but I've only seen a couple of her videos before this. Her tone was pretty abrasive and put me off her content. That in itself isn't a criticism since a lot of content creators take that vibe as part of their persona, it just didn't gel with me. I have some reading up to do on this.

Oct 29, 2017
The points she made are good and I think most here will agree with her general opinion but the way she characterized leftist twitter as this sort of extremely loud, mostly young, cis, white and highly educated people and then used her character to construct this weird strawman to fight against was kind of yikes IMO.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
She always identified with Tabby from what I know. Tabby has always been used by her as an internal dialog about praxis specifically. Tabby is her own persona that she is always in conflict with because she agrees with the key points but not the methodology, which is what happens again in this video.

Yeah, I know that, and the cringe video makes it very explicit. But at this point she's gotta recognize the optics of what's happening here. Like I legitimately don't know if she's just being petty or a video away from going mask off.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

So she created a straw argument with a straw cat girl and made said cat girl non binary.

classic.

These people were pissing me off so I made a fictional version of them to argue with and made the, non binary for fun!

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
At the end of the day, property damage especially of buildings that are owned by big companies with failsafes, is a small risk to pay to fight for the rights of marginalised people. Even small shops understand the sacrifice, and the community does often help rebuild the local businesses that were caught in the chaotic mix.

Do they? My friend's family had their liquor store destroyed during the LA riots which was decades ago, and they're still paying off damages from it.

Small businesses are the forgotten causalities in these fights for change, and it's sad and unfortunate, since most of the time it's these people's entire livelihood. My friend's family are immigrants, and they weren't really aware as to why the riots were happening. The city didn't lift a finger to help them after the damage had been done, and all it did was make them antithetical and pissed off at the movement and any form of rioting.

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Change isn't necessarily incrimental...or at least not always, since rapid changes often take place during and following disruptive events. Furthermore, change is often incrimental because it is resisted. Not because it is reasonable process negotiated by reasonable people.

Correct. I think some people may be also missing one of her points in the video. Revolution is possible and sometimes necessary but it does require a massive amount of praxis, it requires allies, and it requires resources. Not things we have at the moment. Also the key point that praxis does not preclude voting. Either way change takes massive effort whether through smaller effort over large amounts of time or massive effort in a shorter amount of time. Both require more than ideation.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In the video she also mentions that she regretted not making a video supporting a vote for Bernie during the primary as she thought it was in the bag. Losing the primary convinced her to make a video for voting in the actual election.

So not only is she aggressive in her gaslighting of non binary people, she's also, was someone we're supposed to tune into for political discussions, completely in outer space.... who the fuck in their right mind thought Bernie had it in the bag.... idiot

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Some binary (or binary-ish) trans people use she/they or he/they. Several of my friends have moved to that setup in the past few years.

Uh yes I know.

I'm talking about Nat's intentional decision to make her straw man cat girl to argue against non binary because she's utterly obsessed with shifting on on binary people. So of course her fictional enemy she's pissed at would be non binary.

like if she had a history of gaslighting black people and then in her video where she invents an enemy, writes all their arguments, and then defeats them, and also made that enemy black... it'd be a clear display of her bigotry

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Uh yes I know.

I'm talking about Nat's intentional decision to make her straw man cat girl to argue against non binary because she's utterly obsessed with shifting on on binary people. So of course her fictional enemy she's pissed at would be non binary
Okay! I hadn't watched yet and just figured from the posts in this thread that nothing about the character was different except for the pronouns in the Twitter bio.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So not only is she aggressive in her gaslighting of non binary people, she's also, was someone we're supposed to tune into for political discussions, completely in outer space.... who the fuck in their right mind thought Bernie had it in the bag.... idiot

Before super Tuesday I did. Or at least I though he was a clear favored doe to both the polling, how the other states went, and the energy around him on social media. Switched my own vote from Warren to Bernie as a result. So yeah, not a reliable source for election projections but her core platform is philosophy and political discourse which, generally, seem to be on point most of the time.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

And a bunch of deaths

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I really wish she would take her obviously very complicated feelings on nb folks to a therapist instead of continuing this weird, fucked up relationship with her audience.

In the video she also mentions that she regretted not making a video supporting a vote for Bernie during the primary as she thought it was in the bag.
I have absolutely no idea how anyone could believe that for more than a two week span, at most.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Before super Tuesday I did. Or at least I though he was a clear favored doe to both the polling, how the other states went, and the energy around him on social media. Switched my own vote from Warren to Bernie as a result. So yeah, not a reliable source for election projections but her core platform is philosophy and political discourse which, generally, seem to be on point most of the time.

She's a 101 poli sci student who think she should get her PHD tomorrow.

She also deeply relies on production values and aesthetic to hide how basic her shit is.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I really wish she would take her obviously very complicated feelings on nb folks to a therapist instead of continuing this weird, fucked up relationship with her audience.

I have absolutely no idea how anyone could believe that for more than a two week span, at most.

Yeah, it was roughly a two week span. Sounds about right. I don't know how long she thought that as she doesn't say. I was just quoting where she says she regret not making a Bernie video so that is part of why she made this one.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
Although her imaginary conversation is against a far leftist revolutionary communist (or a parody of one), I think at least some of these talking points are not uncommon in more moderate people, so it is worthwhile for Contrapoints to engage with those ideas.

And even if we take her napkin math that far leftists revolutionary communists are like 0.1% of the US population at face value, that's still a voting block of a couple of hundred thousand people. Also, if the far left has an outsized impact on discourse, then encouraging them to actually be practical about how they engage with politics could help move the needle in the future.

And do you think those talking points could have been discused without the need of a caricature? Particularly one that was turned non-binary for no particular reason after her previous missteps

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie or busters are low hanging fruits but any video that encourages voting is helpful right now. You got people like shaun who discourage people in the US from voting Biden (with now deleted Tweets because they were fucking embarrassing) while being a rich white guy in the UK himself. But I agree that busters don't have much of a presence outside of Twitter. I was around for the Super Tuesday thread on here and I remember one user writing something along the lines of "mask off" when someone expressed their satisfaction with Biden doing well. Just absolutely delusional, it blew my fucking mind. Overall, I think Era has done an OK job of opposing that shitty position in the past couple of months (at least I've not seen much approval of that position ever since), so I don't have much to complain but places like r/breadtube are just lost, I'm sorry. I remember people getting upset over getting "vote shamed". No shit Sherlock, you will get shamed for making unwise decisions and being vocal about them online.

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is why Shaun's the best left-tuber. Pure dry facts laid over still images of academic text with some occasional jokes, baby.

Do quite like Shaun's stuff. He's definitely more hard left. Though I've recently taken more to Thought Slime. Those expensive slime production values keep me engaged. Thay said I've stayed away from their twitters a bit as it seems the entirety of there posting is clowning on libs these days.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
This is the obligatory post pointing out that the entire gay pride movement was started by a riot that killed no one.

That wasn't a "how dare those rioters break stuff" post. In any case, the 'all revolutionary movements' in the post I was responding to is a huge generalization, and you're right to distinguish a social revolution from a wide-scale and drastic political transformation. The history of those revolutions have cost a lot of lives. The answer to incrementalism is not as easy as just banding enough people together.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
tenor.gif
He must think Natalie is like, at least a millionaire.