• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
this is so weird. I could have sworn that the original release of the collection included both the SNES and Genesis versions of the game. I thought I remembered the devs making a big deal out of it.
They had the SNES and Genesis versions of The Lion King; SNES Aladdin was originally omitted because it wasn't made by the same studio of all the other games in the collection.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was close to get the "old" collection at a sale, but now I'm happy I waited, tho I will wait a bit for a sale anyway. Nice!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, SNES Aladdin was definitely superior than the Genesis version. Just felt more tight and was more fun overall.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Finally more people will experience the best Aladdin game. So much better level design and hit detection. To this day I believe people only like the Mega Drive one more because of the animations and the sword.

I think the Genesis game's atmosphere, music, animation, and just overall more accurate adaptation of the movie trumps the slightly better gameplay in the SNES version. It's not like the SNES version is a masterclass in 2D platforming or anything. If I'm being honest, I think the only reason people remember it is because of the comparison to the Genesis version.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think the Genesis game's atmosphere, music, animation, and just overall more accurate adaptation of the movie trumps the slightly better gameplay in the SNES version. It's not like the SNES version is a masterclass in 2D platforming or anything. If I'm being honest, I think the only reason people remember it is because of the comparison to the Genesis version.

Nah, to me the gameplay is leagues better. I never enjoyed actually playing the Mega Drive game. Nice to look at and maybe even listen to, but I'd rather play the SNES one.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I'm just pleased for the re-release of Jungle Book. I remember that being really good.

One day I hope I will see re-releases of Mick & Mack Global Gladiators and Cool Spot. Odds are very low though :(

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Shame no Master System Aladdin, but sounds like a cool collection. Kind of makes the one I bought redundant though lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That's interesting. I didn't think it would happen given it was a Capcom release.

I'm still hoping for some sort of follow-up to The Disney Afternoon Collection with all of Capcom's SNES games (and maybe the missing NES/GB games) in one place though.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
1. This collection didn't already include the SNES version of Aladdin?

2. What's a Mega Drive?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Still missing bootleg Lion King.

He2rFmZ.gif

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Finally more people will experience the best Aladdin game. So much better level design and hit detection. To this day I believe people only like the Mega Drive one more because of the animations and the sword.
The Mega Drive version's animations were on another level back in the 90's. Disney even sent the devs cells from the movie to be included in the game.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The Mega Drive version's animations were on another level back in the 90's. Disney even sent the devs cells from the movie to be included in the game.

Yeah, maybe this is a weird distinction to draw but while I recognize the Capcom version is superior in some respects (it is a lot easier to control and features less BS, although I think it veers too far into being too easy) I consider the Virgin/Genesis version to be sort of the "official" Aladdin game. They're both great but Disney was so much more involved in the Genesis game's production and its production values are insane for a 1993 release.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Aladdin SNES was one of the earliest games I can remember playing alongside titles like Super Mario World & Kirby Super Star, so I will gladly get this. Sold my copy of the original compilation, so hopefully this will be reasonably priced.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The old version is 100 percent not getting updated for free. Licenses are expensive

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

The Genesis version is only a more accurate adaptation in the sense of presentation (animation and music). It sticks much more rigidly with its basic gameplay format, so the later parts are very off - no prince Aladdin sequence and the final battle is just beating up Jaffar, the story completely skips everything around it.

Last edited:

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I played the NES version of Lion King (that later i found it was unlicensed knock off) and it was so damn hard due to its unresponsiveness, that maybe it was one of the most rage inducing titles for me ever. Just watching playthroughs of it on youtube is cringing me.
Aladdin on other hand was kinda nice, and I will gladly play it again. Cant remember if it was a NES knock off as well.

When does this collection releases and for which platforms?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Rewind and fast forward is such a big deal in these games.

It is blatant cheating but it feels good to just speed through Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

I wonder if its possible or even a good idea to institute in modern games...

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I continuously held out on buying the last collection.

Just wasn't worth it without the superior SNES version of Aladdin.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Thank the corporate Disney gods for this. I held off on the original because it didn't seem to offer that much value (due to lacking the SNES version of Aladdin mostly), but this one is far easier on the wallet.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I never bought the original because it didn't have Aladdin SNES. This is awesome news. The article won't load for me, is there a release date?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Hope there's DLC for the original release, but I'll probably wind up picking up the new release for Switch regardless, already kind of wished I had picked up the original there instead of PS4.

I love Genesis Aladdin, it was the one I had as a kid, but the SNES one is just so much more satisfying, the jumping and climbing in particular. It'll be fun to try out Jungle Book too, I had the Game Boy one as a kid but never touched the others.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
www.vooks.net

Disney brings its Classic Games Collection back with 16-bit 'The Jungle Book' and SNES Aladdin - Vooks

Not sure if the old version is getting updated, however.

Should be on all the same platforms as before I think. Switch is specifically shown here.

Holy shit they fucking did it! Glad Capcom finally played ball! And also a nice bonus that they added the Torus-developed GBC Lion King to boot! Was an odd omission IMO.

Would've been cool to see the PS1 Lion King top the collection off, but I can understand its exclusion. I hope we get a PS1 collection down the road. Weren't most on PC as well, likely easing the port process?

Are we sure this isn't a mistake?

All of those games were made by Virgin and other western companies. I really don't see them going out of their way to include a single game by Capcom.

Is there an official announcement confirming this or is this website just assuming things? The website doesn't have a link to the source or any PR announcement.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Are we sure this isn't a mistake?

All of those games were made by Virgin and other western companies. I really don't see them going out of their way to include a single game by Capcom.

Is there an official announcement confirming this or is this website just assuming things? The website doesn't have a link to the source or any PR announcement.

I mean, the sticker on the physical box is pretty clear here and probably not photoshopped by that website. ;)

129645_1920px.jpg

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think this is bullshit.

I saw the nintendoeverything news post (which just links to vooks) and they claim the ESRB page for the game was updated to include the SNES Aladdin, but when you go to the ESRB page, there's no such thing.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
More detailed breakdown assuming the information is accurate:

Games included in this Collection:
  • Disney's Aladdin (Capcom version): SNES
  • Disney's Aladdin: Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Sega MegaDrive
  • Disney's Aladdin – Final Cut: Sega Mega Drive
  • Disney's Aladdin – Demo Version: Sega Mega Drive
  • Disney's Aladdin – Japanese Version: Sega Mega Drive
  • Disney's The Lion King: SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Sega MegaDrive
  • Disney's The Lion King – Japanese Version: Sega Mega Drive
  • Disney's The Jungle Book: SNES, Game Boy, Sega Mega Drive

• Neat they managed to get Capcom on board with this, despite being out of place now with a bunch of Virgin Interactive games lol

Still.. claiming they have all versions of Aladdin included while the Master System/Game Gear game is absent is.. not right

images

Aso, I hope they do somekind of update for people who purchased the previous collection. Otherwise would be a pretty shitty move...
    I wonder if those versions would've required Sega to sign off on them in some way? I say that because most big name 3rd party titles developed for Master System and Game Gear were handled by Sega (or TecToy or some other porthouse often hired by Sega). Also completeness is nice but including both the Master System and Game Gear versions feels redundant since the Game Gear version is just the Master System version with a more zoomed in aspect ratio and slightly worse audio.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is great and I prefer SNES aladdin as that is the one I grew up with but what is different that allows this to happen today vs. what, a year ago?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I assume that by "Game Boy Color" version they mean The Lion King: Simba's Mighty Adventure, which is not really Lion King but a different game altogether.