• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Link: https://www.vooks.net/new-nes-and-s...leased-monthly/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

00001737_820_461.jpg

A post on Nintendo's website in Japan has revealed that both NES and SNES games will no longer be releasing monthly, instead releasing irregularly from here on out. New games are said to be coming to both services in the future, however. We contacted Nintendo to see if this would affect us here and they confirmed it saying that more games "will be added after launch, but those releases will not adhere to a regular schedule".

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Ok... That's actually rather annoying but hopefully it means they'll be coming out quicker than monthly.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I got this vibe too from the wording. Guess they want to spread them out more.

Aug 27, 2018
Ok... That's actually rather annoying but hopefully it means they'll be coming out quicker than monthly.
I'm worried that it means they will be released less often while I'm still paying the yearly fee, I mean it's not "expensive" but this gives them a free pass to continue charging while also not release games regularly.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please do them more often, because two NES games a month... Lord that trickle was absolute insanity!

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, 3 more games and then no more until they start over with NES on Switch 2. Excellent.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I read this as a positive (a sudden influx of games whenever--no need to wait until next month if the current month's picks were bad for you) and a negative (perhaps long droughts on no notable games out of nowhere).

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
They might want the games out sooner so they can get to bringing out Gameboy games more quickly. Or even in the opposite way, they might feel there's no rush because they're going to be adding another system of games to add to everything already there.

Either way, I don't think we'll be waiting another year before they add another system.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Charge people for a service, get them in the ecosystem, then alter that service so you don't have to provide as much.

I will be shocked when this change overall slows down the rate that these games come out. Absolutely shocked I tell you.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that doesn't mean the content drip is even slower (is that even possible?).

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that doesn't mean the content drip is even slower (is that even possible?).
I think (hope) the bottom line is that you will end up with more NES/SNES releases on a yearly basis, however they might just be spread out to 4 to 6 release windows in the year.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing they have numbers that suggest the two NES games added each month did next to nothing to bring people back to the app lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just put the DKC trilogy and SMRPG on it and then I'll never ask for another game on it again.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is legit, everyone wanted SNES games (myself included)...and now we have them and Nintendo is basically saying they don't know when they'll release more.

Yeah, it's unreal. I get that licensing is not exactly "press a button to obtain permissions", but (while completely different services and all) we see Microsoft, Sony, EA and Ubisoft ramping up their services, increasing their value continously to offer more and more games as close as it's possible to their launch (in Microsoft's case, that means day 1 or even day 0 in the case of Gears 5). Meanwhile, Nintendo managed to trickle a whopping 2 games from the 1980s each month, for once they finally manage to throw in 20 games from the 90's in one run, they immediately imply that the next games will not arrive next month, with future additions that could take months to arrive. Thanks, I guess?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And here I was celebrating their unusually great launch lineup... There's always a catch, huh.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rough outline of what we're probably gonna get:
October: 3 NES, 1 SNES
November: 5 NES, 2 SNES
December: Nothing
January: Nothing
February: 1 SNES
March: Nothing
April: 2 NES
May: Nothing
June: 12 NES, 7 SNES
July: 3 NES, 3 SNES
August: They accidentally throw up the FF7-9 ports for about 30 minutes before Nintendo remembers they didn't make the Playstation
September: Nothing, but hey, there's a $60 remaster of OoT 3D for you to buy now!

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing they have numbers that suggest the two NES games added each month did next to nothing to bring people back to the app lol

If that's the case, they were looking at two solutions:

1) Increase the quality and pace of games to give people more reasons to log back in.
2) Decrease the frequency of games because it's not worth the effort.

I'm somehow not that surprised they went for option 2 :\

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
To me this feels like Nintendo just can't decide their strategy regarding the classic games.

Strategize? What is there to strategize.

It's fucking simple: Put games on paid service on a regular basis.
Not "put a bunch of games and wait a year to release mother 2 just before annual renewal".

Oct 25, 2017
The schedule and output didn't help them at all, just wondering if not having some sort of deadline to adhere to can lead to quicker prep for more games every few months.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meh as long as the addition of Chrono Trigger is not too far away they can add a total of 6 additional games for the next year for all I care. I'll be waiting in the meantime.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really, I just want to go back to 2005 and tell someone at Nintendo to set up some sort of account system for the Revolution, tie all VC purchases into that instead of doing it at the hardware level, and letting players carry those games forward to newer systems. We could have avoided so many headaches...

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
It better be 20 at a time then. I hate playing this game of waiting for three crap games then getting an SP version of the same games next month. These games are old and a LOT of them are bad and barely worth booting. It needs to be 20 at a time and we need N64 and GC game tomorrow.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NES service launched with 20 games as well.

But this is the first time it's games from the 90's. I have fond memories with NES games but due to obvious reasons, many of them aged worse than SNES games, thus offering less value right now. 20 SNES games out of nowhere is a good drop, and albeit many of them are already in my collection in some ways (SNES Classic, other ports, etc.), it's good. It sucks that they immediately had to point out that not even those 2 games per month are now a given, because that was already a low number to begin with.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really, I just want to go back to 2005 and tell someone at Nintendo to set up some sort of account system for the Revolution, tie all VC purchases into that instead of doing it at the hardware level, and letting players carry those games forward to newer systems. We could have avoided so many headaches...

I believe they made a business decision. Without an account system we have to rebuy every generation. Except this time they figured to just use it as added value for the online service and to sell it separately with Mini's.

And it is awful. A crappy emulation wrapper, a random assortment of titles. No true offline play. No individual apps to manage, I am at Nintendo's behest.

Switch was the perfect platform for the rebirth of the Virtual Console. I'm so disappointed at the missed potential.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It better be 20 at a time then. I hate playing this game of waiting for three crap games then getting an SP version of the same games next month. These games are old and a LOT of them are bad and barely worth booting. It needs to be 20 at a time and we need N64 and GC game tomorrow.

I'm all for that but the frequency is not going to be good, like other said see yah in 2020 when we only get 20 games in the year. Freaking nintendo