• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darth Reidar

Dec 5, 2017
What I'm most curious about is how often POC actually are considered for non-POC roles?

Famously Laura Bailey played a South African POC in Uncharted 4 though my understanding is that she was cast before the character was physically designed as a POC.

(...)
Not to take anything away from the whole Nadine situation, but Uncharted 4 did actually feature a POC woman in a non-POC role: Merle Dandridge voiced the old woman (Evelyn) in the flashback chapter with a young Nate and Sam.

So it happens. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, these characters are supposed to be PoC? Did people accept this? At best they look somewhat mediterranean. I think it's actually pretty offensive to feature "white" people and call them PoC. It's an easy way to put some PoC characters in your game. Not the first time I see this in Japanese games.
Claude and Cyril are literally from that world's version of the middle east. Claude's real name is Khalid.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
& for non-PoC VAs to turn down roles they don't fit
This would take huge, huge moral character for someone to do, to make such a sacrifice to their own job opportunities.

Morals > Money.

It's essentially the kind of attitude on a micro-scale, than if practised on a macro-scale would recalibrate Humanity towards the morally "right" course.

Not everyone has the privilege to be able to turn down roles like she does.
That's what would make it an incredible sacrifice for whomever does it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This would take huge, huge moral character for someone to do, to make such a sacrifice to their own job opportunities.

Morals > Money.

It's essentially the kind of attitude on a micro-scale, than if practised on a macro-scale would recalibrate Humanity towards the morally "right" course.

That's kind of a risky, to the point of being an unfortunately pointless gesture, for when all you know, the next 20 VAs they have in line for the role are also non-PC.
It's a nice gesture, but it only really works if everyone who is a non-PoC turns a role down, or one non-PoC turning a role down guarantees it goes to a PoC instead.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Whilst I appreciate that there are probably few VO artists who could afford to turn down roles let's not lose sight of the fact that the original Tweeter did put forward a number of other ways to help promote POC in this arena. Even stuff as simple as "I know a great actor who I think would work really well with yourselves" or "If you have any other roles available can I suggest you speak to 'X' as they've done great things with similar roles" is a good way to help get people noticed.

Helping pull others up doesn't have to mean making sacrifices yourself.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You shouldn't frame it like this. If they turn down a role and make a big deal out of their "incredible sacrifice", then everyone will know they only did it for the brownie points. If they turn down a role and nobody ever learns that they did, let alone whether or not a minority was given the role afterwards, then they'll feel as though it wasn't worth it at all because best case scenario the studio gets to say how progressive it is for casting minority actors.

It's not something we should expect anyone to do, nor is it something anyone should expect praise for doing. There are other ways to promote minority actors without giving up your own work and merely hoping the casting director will actually pick a minority actor to replace you.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
That's kind of a risky, to the point of being an unfortunately pointless gesture, for when all you know, the next 20 VAs they have in line for the role are also non-PC.
It's a nice gesture, but it only really works if everyone who is a non-PoC turns a role down, or one non-PoC turning a role down guarantees it goes to a PoC instead.
Exactly. Which is why the guilt, pressure and ultimately responsibility should be aimed at the casting, not the actors.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
You shouldn't frame it like this. If they turn down a role and make a big deal out of their "incredible sacrifice", then everyone will know they only did it for the brownie points. If they turn down a role and nobody ever learns that they did, let alone whether or not a minority was given the role afterwards, then they'll feel as though it wasn't worth it at all because best case scenario the studio gets to say how progressive it is for casting minority actors.

It's not something we should expect anyone to do, nor is it something anyone should expect praise for doing. There are other ways to promote minority actors without giving up your own work and merely hoping the casting director will actually pick a minority actor to replace you.

Good point. It's the kind of gesture that would only work in a idealistic World where the problem of institutional racism is already solved at a meta level.

Individual gestures like this don't solve the meta problem.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

That seems worse to me.

Its like active white washing.......you know the actress is white, so you decide to make the character black?

As if regular white washing wasnt bad enough now they pandering to us by giving us black characters to meet quota even if we and they know its a white actress behind the performance.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Even looking at a recent game like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, all 3 of its PoC characters (Claude, Dedue, & Cyril) are voiced by white actors in English.

m9hjuqs.png
Oq2LuO9.png
nLklfcW.png

Like I said, this falls more on the casting director than the actors themselves. But if NDAs permit, I honestly wish that they turned down those roles & let fellow PoC actors take them up.

I actually provided some examples in the OP, albeit for the same voice actor (Zeno Robinson).

I did some cursory look into Nintendo, and pretty much every black character is voiced by a non-black person (Twintelle, Urbosa/Riju, DJ Marina).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I did some cursory look into Nintendo, and pretty much every black character is voiced by a non-black person (Twintelle, Urbosa/Riju, DJ Marina).
At least in the cases of Twintelle & Marina, there aren't many (if any, I'm not 100% certain) black voice actors located in Japan, where both ARMS & Splatoon 2 were recorded. Said location should explain why Biff never got his English voice in the actual game (though on both fronts, why they didn't involve NoA is beyond me). But then then, that doesn't excuse Urbosa & Riju, with BotW having had its English voice acting recorded in America.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Voice acting in general is hella incestual, I mean you hear the same 5 damn voices across everything. Only time you see new blood at all is in smaller games who couldn't afford the big names. Lets pretend it's all a meritocracy, then Troy Baker is the greatest actor living

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
As progressive as Bojack Horseman is it's very weird to me that Alison Brie was cast as Diane Nguyen.

"For a long time, because we cast a white actress to play Diane, I was afraid of this conversation happening. And because of that, we really downplayed her race and her cultural heritage. We've treated her basically like a white woman because I didn't want to have a white woman playing an overtly Asian character, because that felt somehow more wrong to me. And now I feel the opposite. We did a complete disservice to the character by making her so white. Obviously what white-coded means is subjective, and there are Asian women who relate to Diane and I don't want to discount their experiences. But I do think we have avoided stories that could have been more interesting because of my own fear and guilt about the casting."

like ...there's obvious regret but why would it happen in the first place? casting an Asian woman to play an Asian character shouldn't be some like major revelation you have later on...it should be something they thought about from day one.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is the right thread but I've been meaning to bring up how terrible the VA is for Layla Hassan in Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey. It's a case where they got a Jamaican Canadian lady to voice a Middle Eastern American and she sounds awful. What the fuck. Her arabic might be the worst arabic I've ever heard.

So in this regard, can companies start finding people who speak or know the language of the person they're voice acting for

Oct 27, 2017
Their excuse for this doesnt hold water either which way.
Either they had the character and still went with casting a white person after calling her agent.
Or they had a white person cast and decided to make the character look like an actual South African actress....and yes im still calling bullshit that its a coincidence she looks pretty much identical to Kandyse.

1040b6ca876c85e1c116a747141ff69d.jpg

I believe she was originally designed as white character, they cast the VA, then decided to change her to be black

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I believe she was originally designed as white character, they cast the VA, then decided to change her to be black

Honestly, at the point at which they made the call to change the character into a black woman, they should've recast the role. Recasting happens. It's a very, very common process in acting and in video games.

You can say "the part has evolved, and while you're doing a great job, we've decided to go in a different direction". It's happened to many famous actors in the past and it will continue to happen in the future. They were under no onus to keep Laura Bailey in the part when the character's portrayal and personal story evolved, and it's on Naughty Dog for not recasting.

It's not like she's hurting for work. She and her husband are in virtually every single AAA game released nowadays. Their family is doing amazingly well.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
I agree that we need more PoC voice actors in general, but the idea that only PoC can play PoC and White people White Characters goes against the very thing they are doing, acting.

The most famous line in cinema is said by a white character voiced by a black actor.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
User Banned (1 week): Dismissive drive-by
Next time I see Othello I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: fiy I've actually seen Othello in early 90s in theater where the actor was having the role of a black character and it was done professionally and very well. No need to ban people with different viewpoints and experiences

default.aspx

Last edited:

skiibot

May 28, 2020
Yeah I'd appreciate if the ethic minorities characters in games were actually voiced by ethnic minorities...
It's not really that simple. I dont work in the industry but I am fairly sure that generally, directors look for people with a huge amount of range so they can save cost on hiring VAs. If one person can voice multiple people it makes sense, regardless of ethnicity.

That said, of course I'd want minorities to voice minority characters.

I also have a question: how exactly do casting directors choose people for auditions? I was under the impression that they are sent showreels of potential VAs that they then narrow down for the audition. If that's true, surely voice actors are treated pretty fairly in selection already?

May 19, 2020
Honestly, at the point at which they made the call to change the character into a black woman, they should've recast the role. Recasting happens. It's a very, very common process in acting and in video games.

You can say "the part has evolved, and while you're doing a great job, we've decided to go in a different direction". It's happened to many famous actors in the past and it will continue to happen in the future. They were under no onus to keep Laura Bailey in the part when the character's portrayal and personal story evolved, and it's on Naughty Dog for not recasting.

It's not like she's hurting for work. She and her husband are in virtually every single AAA game released nowadays. Their family is doing amazingly well.
As strange as it sounds I'm guessing ND did not want to pay her whatever she would be owed in the instance of a recast due to a creative difference rather than any actual issue of job performance. This redesign happened after all relevant contracts were drawn up and signed so Laura would likely get a nice payout for ND reneging on their deal. Or they just didn't care about the optics. Either seems plausible.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I agree that we need more PoC voice actors in general, but the idea that only PoC can play PoC and White people White Characters goes against the very thing they are doing, acting.

The most famous line in cinema is said by a white character voiced by a black actor.
This, we absolutely need more representation but I think asking others to turn down roles is asking a bit much. We need to have more black writers, casting directors, and voice actors period. There's room for both. Goes for all people of color, all genders, all ethnicities, and backgrounds.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's not easy to turn down jobs and money. Not every voice actor is well off or in a position to turn down roles they're picked for.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really that simple. I dont work in the industry but I am fairly sure that generally, directors look for people with a huge amount of range so they can save cost on hiring VAs. If one person can voice multiple people it makes sense, regardless of ethnicity.

That said, of course I'd want minorities to voice minority characters.

I also have a question: how exactly do casting directors choose people for auditions? I was under the impression that they are sent showreels of potential VAs that they then narrow down for the audition. If that's true, surely voice actors are treated pretty fairly in selection already?

Depends on the project, but for video games, they often get sent reels from agents, then cull that list of showreels down and call the survivors in for in-person auditions. And then after that, if the role includes substantial motion capture, you'll usually also have them do chemistry tests with the other actors until you determine the person you finally cast.

If it's just standard booth voice acting you won't bother with the chemistry tests for obvious reasons.

As strange as it sounds I'm guessing ND did not want to pay her whatever she would be owed in the instance of a recast due to a creative difference rather than any actual issue of job performance. This redesign happened after all relevant contracts were drawn up and signed so Laura would likely get a nice payout for ND reneging on their deal. Or they just didn't care about the optics. Either seems plausible.

Keep in mind, recasting a character due to changes in the project isn't reneging on a deal. It's a standard process. Eric Stoltz was Marty McFly for several days of filming before they replaced him with Michael J. Fox.

TheBarbarian

Oct 30, 2017
People should turn down jobs? Paying jobs?

Who has this kind of money?

The point is nice in an idealistic way, but man, turn down a job?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
If nothing else I always found it bizarre that Nolan North played this guy:

latest

In Halo ODST. Like, was nobody else available?

May 19, 2020
Keep in mind, recasting a character due to changes in the project isn't reneging on a deal. It's a standard process. Eric Stoltz was Marty McFly for several days of filming before they replaced him with Michael J. Fox.
It's all navelgazing since we don't know the specifics of Laura's contract but not to put too fine a point on it your example is quite old. I'm sure good agents do a better job keeping their talent in the seat so to speak. I also don't know how relevant it is as well since Eric Stoltz was apparently difficult to work with according to the producers which is job performance related rather than a creative difference.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eric Stoltz was fired, not quite the same situation.

For another example, one of the actors in Red Dead Redemption 2 (Pearson, I think?) made it through about three months of filming before Rockstar decided to recast the part.

Again, the specificity of the examples isn't really the point. The point is that recasting is common and not a big deal, and Naughty Dog should've been sensitive enough to realize that keeping Laura in the part was a mistake. Especially when at the end of the day her portrayal was just "Laura Bailey voice but with a very obvious fake accent on top".

May 19, 2020
For another example, one of the actors in Red Dead Redemption 2 (Pearson, I think?) made it through about three months of filming before Rockstar decided to recast the part.

Again, the specificity of the examples isn't really the point. The point is that recasting is common and not a big deal, and Naughty Dog should've been sensitive enough to realize that keeping Laura in the part was a mistake. Especially when at the end of the day her portrayal was just "Laura Bailey voice but with a very obvious fake accent on top".
They either didn't care about the optics or did not want to pay Laura Bailey out when there is no actual cause for termination. Like her or not she is a top tier talent, it's not someone you can randomly dismiss with no blowback.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Sure, though VA - as many have said - is an oversaturated field. Few VAs can afford to turn down roles, but I'm entirely down for more PoC VAs - for PoC or non-PoC roles (the clue's in the name: the voice matters). Daniel Lobé did an amazing job as French Geralt:

MV5BMWVhNTQwNGItOTQzMi00YmY1LTg0MTEtZjc5MWE2OTZlMjdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
ba57bdb313e33979493222da1333a1b9.png

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They either didn't care about the optics or did not want to pay Laura Bailey out when there is no actual cause for termination. Like her or not she is a top tier talent, it's not someone you can randomly dismiss with no blowback.

Again. It's not "randomly dismissing" her. The part changed. This is common. Laura is a professional actress, she understands that.

You're acting like this would be some kind of vengeful action. it's not. Every actor who's ever done professional work before has either had a part changed on them or seen it happen to someone they know. It's UNBELIEVABLY common.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While its good for white actors to turn down roles if they have the opportunity I still think most of the blame is on the directors/voice directors of these games not actually putting their foot down and forcing that character actually be voiced by the person who matches that race.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I agree that the onus has to be more on casting directors given how difficult it is to make it as a VO, but promoting your fellow POC VAs seems like a good way to help without hurting your career.

I've been playing JRPGS for a long time now and def within the last few years or so a lot of newer VAs have started to get casted (as a lot of the older standards like Laura Bailey or Troy Baker have become too expensive to bring back). It's wild to me that casting directors haven't taken this opportunity to look into casting more POC—like in FE3H, for example. There were a ton of roles available and most of the voice cast isn't particularly prolific (although I think by in large they did a great job), so not taking the time to try to find POC to play at least SOME characters is mind boggling.

Edit: FE3H did cast some WOC of color—4 or so I believe. But none of the POC coded characters received POC VAs :(

slightly off topic but what line are you talking about? I'm not too well versed in cinema history but very curious.

Last edited:

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that for voice acting, it doesn't matter if the actor LOOKS the part but if they can ACT the part

Oct 25, 2017
Their excuse for this doesnt hold water either which way.
Either they had the character and still went with casting a white person after calling her agent.
Or they had a white person cast and decided to make the character look like an actual South African actress....and yes im still calling bullshit that its a coincidence she looks pretty much identical to Kandyse.

1040b6ca876c85e1c116a747141ff69d.jpg
Remember when people reached out to her on twitter letting her know and she answered something like "I should probably call my lawyer" ? It was fun seeing people lose their shit over a corporation maybe getting sued.

Oct 27, 2017
In an ideal world, voice acting, unlike live acting, can he colorblind; but in the real world it's a matter of opportunity and the fact is that most PoC actors simply aren't afforded the same opportunities.