• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
That tweet's been posted like 3 times already and Hamill is clearly saying "dude why are you on Parler"

Well one or both of us needs better reading comprehension because "Anyone who knows you knows these accusations are untrue" reads to me as defending him and giving him an out to save face, not a condemnation the actions he's trying to deny.

But apologies for not seeing it had been posted before. I saw this because it was retweeted by yet another VA, who ironically is very vocal about BLM and other areas of social justice.

Guess it's fun to be an ally til one of your buddies is outed as a baddie.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Boycotting a game or show because of these assholes seems silly to me. A whole lot of other people contributed to the project, why hurt them?

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry I am not well versed in these topics he retweeted. What is racist about them?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Boycotting a game or show because of these assholes seems silly to me. A whole lot of other people contributed to the project, why hurt them?
www.resetera.com

A call to Era's developers and mods about the "think of the poor devs" argument.

So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar...

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the reason we are stuck with Nolan North and Troy Baker for every other game is because most voice actors are batshit crazy.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
He is very adamant about claiming that he didn't echoed /retweeted the posts. That is what confuses me. He's not saying he miss clicked or he didn't understood the echo functionality. 🤔 Could be somehow true? Hacked account, Parler echoing without consent?

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
people think i am a race-ist b/c i retweeted 'i hate asian people because they are asian' but newsflash buddy
😎 i didnt say that 😎​
Every one of you who believes him is an absolute Neanderthal. And so is Mark Hamill for that matter.

Is it just SAG-AFTRA? Does that union just turn VA, performers and other affiliates into meatheads?

He is very adamant about claiming that he didn't echoed /retweeted the posts. That is what confuses me. He's not saying he miss clicked or he didn't understood the echo functionality. 🤔 Could be somehow true? Hacked account, Parler echoing without consent?
"Hey guys sorry my account got hacked."

Would definitely be someone's first defence if it happened, don't you think?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Always a good reason to post this thread as response to such posts.
www.resetera.com

A call to Era's developers and mods about the "think of the poor devs" argument.

So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar...
So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar one has been popping up more often than usual; one that is rarely, if ever, actioned. Not even a warning is ever issued for it, let alone a ban; of course, this is probably why it's so popular, as opposed to other arguments that would get actioned.

Yes, I'm talking of the "think of the poor devs" argument, phrased in a handful of variants with the same underlying sentiment ("it's unfair to punish the people that worked on this game", etc.). Again, this is nothing new: it's been used to justify (and sidestep discussion of) vile shit in videogames since the dawn of time (see Kingdom Come: Deliverance, The Last Night, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.).

I think both the argument itself and the lack of moderation about it seems to arise from a fundamental misunderstanding of how game development works and how most developers profit from game sales or will have their livelyhood affected by their sales (news flash: in the case of AAA games with dozens or hundreds of salaried devs, barely at all). Much has been written in this forum about the validity of this argument as a whole, often by devs themselves, but few of it seems to ever be heeded, or have any kind of long-term impact whatsoever on either its usage or moderation.

To throw my two cents, as a dev myself: I feel offended every time someone uses fellow devs as a shield to justify their own purchasing decisions. Please do not pin your support of vile people on any of our livelyhoods; I'd rather change jobs than be the excuse for people to e.g. keep funneling money into Rowling's pockets.

That said, I shouldn't, and won't, speak for all devs. And so, I'm calling to both developers and mods to have a discussion about it, on this thread, and hopefully reach some kind of conclusion.
- To devs, I ask you to please share your thoughts on whether you think the argument holds water, both practically and morally.
- To mods, I ask you to please listen to devs, ask them any questions you may have, and take a lasting decision whether to include it on the TOS, and have it affect future moderation about it.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
These retweets were months ago, would someone really just hack his account just to retweet a couple of shitty posts that just so happens to line up with this guys views and then do nothing else?
And the echo functionality is basically just retweeting, unless he thought he was liking the posts rather than retweeting but thats no better either.
And as much as I wouldn't put it past the right wing to post stuff on people's accounts without their consent I very much doubt that the accounts automatically retweet shitty posts because we would have heard about that by now.
Let's not forget he was also following a load of white supremacist alt-right nutjobs on twitter until it was pointed out here and then he removed them

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
That's honestly a pretty bad look, but he denied it was him and denounced the ideas being promoted. As of now I believe him, I mean it's not like there's any conclusive proof on whether he truly thinks like that or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck, James Arnold Taylor's bad?

Oh fuck, Quinton Flynn's bad?

OH FUCK, MICHIRU YAMANE TOO? WHAT THE FUCK?

FabulousCloseBeardedcollie-small.gif

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
That's honestly a pretty bad look, but he denied it was him and denounced the ideas being promoted. As of now I believe him, I mean it's not like there's any conclusive proof on whether he truly thinks like that or not.
Let's just ignore the anti-mask comments on YouTube, having a Rumble account, and following white supremacists on Twitter too 😅

Oh, and having a Parler account in the first place.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He's followed alt right/extreme right wing figures on his Twitter like Candace Owens and then unfollowed when folks found out. Also thing is he never apologised for retweeting a racist conspiracy theory or for being on Parler, so not sure why he's given the benefit of the doubt. Again when people found out he's on Parler, he just deleted the account rather than taking responsibility for his actions.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Erm....he literally is saying that he didn't see those retweeted posts on his Parler account, which is bullshit. And don't know what people are talking about.
This is blowing up and he's working overtime doing damage control on his Twitter account, literally responding to a ton of people. Dude is saying he would've admitted it, if they were his posts, but they are not, they are just retweets. And lmao at his defense video, "i'm just an enterainer, i'm not political", yeah like all those other VA's/celebrities that were caught to be sexual predators or trumpers. Dude is terrible.

Again, I've not claimed a false account, and couldn't find these on my account anyways so I'm not sure how you all have gotten them or drawn your conclusions, but I'm done trying to enrage this with you

Thank you I agree, if they were my posts I would admit it.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of people say this. I'm obviously OOTL here, what other VA's have had controversy lately?
There's obviously the Quinton Flynn stuff that broke the same day as this, but for some other high-profile, recent examples from off the top of my head:

Vic Mignogna:
www.resetera.com

Vic Mignogna Lawsuit |OT| Hold My Beard (Update: Appeal lost, Mignogna must pay attorney fees to defendants)

Over the past few weeks with the release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, accusations and stories have piled up mainly from convention goers about Mignogna's alleged antisemitic comments, general unease with LGBTQ+ elements in anime and fandom, and sexual misconduct with young, presumably starstruck...

Reuben Langdon:
www.resetera.com

Dante and Ken Masters voice actor Reuben Langdon is peddling COVID-19 conspiracy theory videos on Twitter

For those unfamiliar with Plandemic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plandemic As a mega DMC fan who supported Reuben as Dante from day 1, who fondly remember him posting on GameFAQs back before DMC3 came out and interacting with fans, and always loved how passionate he was about the role and the...

Karen Strassman:
www.resetera.com

Karen Strassman (Poison from Street Fighter, Mileena from Mortal Kombat, Aigis & Nanako from Persona, and Anna from Fire Emblem) likes Anti-BLM tweet

Goddammit, this shit stings. In case you're curious where I got this, just pull up her Twitter & checked her list of Liked tweets. This shouldn't be that far down the list. Source: Karen Strassman (Twitter)

Also, while it's far out of scale compared to the rest of this stuff, there's also that time Troy Baker posted a Teddy Roosevelt quote about how critics suck when the whole Naughty Dog crunch controversy was going down.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's the Boogie trajectory of denialism: let's stop posting negative stuff, let's stop talking about fear, what about this, what about that... and before you realise it, you're literally throwing in with the conspiracy theories in some mad attempt negate the unvarnished truth of an ugly world. All while the inner dialogue of "I'm just a normal, decent person?" plays out. You may very well be pleasant, but your actions are perpetuating a cycle of fundamentally bad shit.

Parler itself is the app of denial.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
Let's just ignore the anti-mask comments on YouTube, having a Rumble account, and following white supremacists on Twitter too 😅

Oh, and having a Parler account in the first place.
He's followed alt right/extreme right wing figures on his Twitter like Candace Owens and then unfollowed when folks found out. Also thing is he never apologised for retweeting a racist conspiracy theory or for being on Parler, so not sure why he's given the benefit of the doubt. Again when people found out he's on Parler, he just deleted the account rather than taking responsibility for his actions.

Damn I didn't know about any of that, that settles it then. What a scummy person. Thank you both for letting me know.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Of course alt-right idiots complaining about SJW's are swarming to his defense on twitter lol

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
Karen Strassman:
www.resetera.com

Karen Strassman (Poison from Street Fighter, Mileena from Mortal Kombat, Aigis & Nanako from Persona, and Anna from Fire Emblem) likes Anti-BLM tweet

Goddammit, this shit stings. In case you're curious where I got this, just pull up her Twitter & checked her list of Liked tweets. This shouldn't be that far down the list. Source: Karen Strassman (Twitter)
what the fuck man how'd I miss this shit and she's apparently a TERF too? While voicing Poison??? fuck you, Karen

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
Oh fuck, James Arnold Taylor's bad?

Oh fuck, Quinton Flynn's bad?

OH FUCK, MICHIRU YAMANE TOO? WHAT THE FUCK?

FabulousCloseBeardedcollie-small.gif
You would think by now with the advent of the internet and all the broo-hah that has occurred over the past 2-3 years that the general populace would have created clear lines of separation; that important distinction between reality of humanity vs. admiration & adoration to "celebrities."

Yet it seems that many keep flipping out when a negative situation occurs. Shakespeare had forewarned this human condition for so many generations. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars. But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the echoed posts were posted by "Name Hidden @Private User", so what if some weird Parler bug really makes them not appear for him (as a logged-in user) but somehow visible for us non-logged in readers?

He still followed Candace Owens and stuff though so not defending him or anything

Jan 11, 2018
Yoko Shimomura also made a tribute song for XXXTentacion.

She gets the benefit of doubt from me.

From what I can tell she was told by her people that he was a big Kingdom Hearts fan and she wanted to honour him because of that - and this was more or less her official statement on it, and I honestly doubt she knew more than that. The suits most likely saw an opportunity to cash in on his death and worked out a deal. She doesn't strike me as someone who spends too much time on the internet, and when she does post something on social media it's usually cute stuff. Granted, it's a bad look to not be properly informed in this day and age, but the world is full of people who are a bit too naive and trusting for their own good. There's really no evidence to suggest she's got any bad views otherwise, so this definitely feels like an honest mistake to me.

EmfQSaeXUAEfE7_.png

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You would think by now with the advent of the internet and all the broo-hah that has occurred over the past 2-3 years that the general populace would have created clear lines of separation; that important distinction between reality of humanity vs. admiration & adoration to "celebrities."

Yet it seems that many keep flipping out when a negative situation occurs. Shakespeare had forewarned this human condition for so many generations. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars. But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Oooh, efficient; getting your entire yearly condescension dosage in one single post.

giphy.gif

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Seeing a lot of people say this. I'm obviously OOTL here, what other VA's have had controversy lately?
There's obviously the Quinton Flynn stuff that broke the same day as this, but for some other high-profile, recent examples from off the top of my head:

Vic Mignogna:
www.resetera.com

Vic Mignogna Lawsuit |OT| Hold My Beard (Update: Appeal lost, Mignogna must pay attorney fees to defendants)

Over the past few weeks with the release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, accusations and stories have piled up mainly from convention goers about Mignogna's alleged antisemitic comments, general unease with LGBTQ+ elements in anime and fandom, and sexual misconduct with young, presumably starstruck...

Reuben Langdon:
www.resetera.com

Dante and Ken Masters voice actor Reuben Langdon is peddling COVID-19 conspiracy theory videos on Twitter

For those unfamiliar with Plandemic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plandemic As a mega DMC fan who supported Reuben as Dante from day 1, who fondly remember him posting on GameFAQs back before DMC3 came out and interacting with fans, and always loved how passionate he was about the role and the...

Karen Strassman:
www.resetera.com

Also, while it's far out of scale compared to the rest of this stuff, there's also that time Troy Baker posted a Teddy Roosevelt quote about how critics suck when the whole Naughty Dog crunch controversy was going down.
Also let's not forget the Laura Bailey snafu where she doubled down on how she was perfectly within her right to portray a black character as if she, a white woman, was the only person suitable for that role.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She gets the benefit of doubt from me.

From what I can tell she was told by her people that he was a big Kingdom Hearts fan and she wanted to honour him because of that - and this was more or less her official statement on it, and I honestly doubt she knew more than that. The suits most likely saw an opportunity to cash in on his death and worked out a deal. She doesn't strike me as someone who spends too much time on the internet, and when she does post something on social media it's usually cute stuff. Granted, it's a bad look to not be properly informed in this day and age, but the world is full of people who are a bit too naive and trusting for their own good. There's really no evidence to suggest she's got any bad views otherwise, so this definitely feels like an honest mistake to me.

EmfQSaeXUAEfE7_.png
I've also seen Square Enix employees post tribute messages for Kobey Bryant after his death despite the fact that he was a rapist

It's basically the usual uninformed opinion or "separate the art from the artist" tropes.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
This thread needs some thread marks.
Yep, as someone who has entered this morning from the first time, I have no clue what's going on anymore
Basically what's happened is that the retweets or "echoes" were pointed out, someone on this site who is a big fan tweeted James directly to inform him of the issue so he started tweeting to defend himself saying we were out to get him etc.

He said he never shared those posts and that even if he did it doesn't reflect on him because he didn't write those posts.
Fellow voice actors like Mark Hamill came out to defend him (and alt right idiots) and Hamill pointed out what Parler is which apparently he didn't know as he doesn't engage in politics.

But then it turns out he in fact does because he's been anti-mask in youtube comments and not only has a Parler account but also an account on an alt-right version of youtube.

Then it turns out he also follows some white supremacists on twitter, once it was pointed out in the thread his twitter went private briefly and then came back with those follows removed.

He still denies it was him that shared the posts but confirms the account is his and that he hasn't been hacked and blames us for trying to ruin his career or something.

I think that is where we are at right now but other people feel free to add if I missed anything

Jan 11, 2018
I've also seen Square Enix employees post tribute messages for Kobey Bryant after his death despite the fact that he was a rapist

It's basically the usual uninformed opinion or "separate the art from the artist" tropes.

I'd go with uninformed opinions. Unlike Michiru Yamane who is going out of her way to read up on conspiracy nonsense and clearly believes everything she reads.

I think maybe it's in part related to how Japan perceives famous people? Unless they do drugs, in which case they might as well never have existed, it seems to me that Japan never talks about the human side of celebrity other than gossip about who's dating who. It would be in line with Japanese media's overall "apolitical" stance.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Basically what's happened is that the retweets or "echoes" were pointed out, someone on this site who is a big fan tweeted James directly to inform him of the issue so he started tweeting to defend himself saying we were out to get him etc.

He said he never shared those posts and that even if he did it doesn't reflect on him because he didn't write those posts.
Fellow voice actors like Mark Hamill came out to defend him (and alt right idiots) and Hamill pointed out what Parler is which apparently he didn't know as he doesn't engage in politics.

But then it turns out he in fact does because he's been anti-mask in youtube comments and not only has a Parler account but also an account on an alt-right version of youtube.

Then it turns out he also follows some white supremacists on twitter, once it was pointed out in the thread his twitter went private briefly and then came back with those follows removed.

He still denies it was him that shared the posts but confirms the account is his and that he hasn't been hacked and blames us for trying to ruin his career or something.

I think that is where we are at right now but other people feel free to add if I missed anything

Oh, thanks very much for summarizing!

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, and here I am as one of the fans who was excited to see him reprise his role in the movie as well as the new entry.

Now I want him OUT alongside Ruben Langdon. Delay Rift Apart if need be, I will gladly wait.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I continue to believe that social media was huge a misstep in human evolution. This guy never would've gotten in trouble for this dumb crap, and you guys wouldn't be investigative journalists looking on his socials for it either.

We'd all be way happier not knowing what the next person is thinking lol.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I continue to believe that social media was huge a misstep in human evolution. This guy never would've gotten in trouble for this dumb crap, and you guys wouldn't be investigative journalists looking on his socials for it either.

Nah let the bigots expose themselves. I'd rather they do that than pretend to be decent human beings

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So you're saying it's a positive then?