• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly, the idea that one should boycott a development team of 300 people because a voice actor is an asshole is migraine inducing logic.

The devs were already paid though.

Also:
Developers aren't fucking owed your money.

You are free not to buy a game for any reason.

If a black person doesn't want to buy the game because the main voice actor has shown anti-black racism, they are free to do that, just as I would be free to "punish" Insomniac by saying "Eh, I'm not interested in the game."

Welcome to the fucking free market baby.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain what's wrong with these. I get that the first is a dumb conspiracy theory that he is stupid for believing in but he's kind of trying to stand up for her and human rights.

The second image is about the NFL losing viewers, possibly related to them not allowing players to kneel and you should "echo" the post if you will continue to boycott them? That sounds good. Or did they start allowing people to kneel? I'm not from the US so maybe someone could fill me in here.
if you're on parler you're a nazi

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
This is extremely disappointing, to say the least. Shit.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
1. Parler is a right-wing openly white supremacist website.

2. Claiming China created the covid virus is a racist right-wing fake conspiracy theory.

3. Protesting watching the NFL because players are kneeling to support Black Lives Matter is blatant racism.

Thank you for the explanations. I just went back through the thread and BAD also explained it too. This is really disheartening. JAT is one of my favorite voice actors for one of my favorite videogame characters ever.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Can someone explain what's wrong with these. I get that the first is a dumb conspiracy theory that he is stupid for believing in but he's kind of trying to stand up for her and human rights.

The second image is about the NFL losing viewers, possibly related to them not allowing players to kneel and you should "echo" the post if you will continue to boycott them? That sounds good. Or did they start allowing people to kneel? I'm not from the US so maybe someone could fill me in here.
The fact that hes posting on Parler should tell you everything you need to know.

"Echoing" the post sounds to me like one of those anti-Semitic kind of things when the Triple Parenthesis was popular, as that was also referred to as "Echoes".

And usually, when right-wing sites are complaining about something there's usually a catch of some kind that they don't want to mention. That's a red flag for me.
I thought it was like echo like an echo chamber.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
It is not black people's responsibility to save video game developers.
People can buy whatever they want but to think a company of 200 plus all believe and stand up for what a unionized voice actor who works freelance is saying is incorrect and Insomniac denounced bigotry countless times and if I recall are very diverse as far as staff goes.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Insomniac is a great company don't punish them by one person!
Exactly, the idea that one should boycott a development team of 300 people because a voice actor is an asshole is migraine inducing logic.
"Punish", this has to be one of the dumbest things i have seen, so many people "punish" them all the time when they decide to buy something else, if people don't want to buy their game because one person is being an alt-right asshole they are in their right to do so

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know who Li-Meng Yan is and how is her story credible so I won't comment on that one.

But the second one is pretty transparent, and I'm not even from US or have any interest in american football.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
People can buy whatever they want but to think a company of 200 plus all believe and stand up for what a unionized voice actor who works freelance is saying is incorrect and Insomniac denounced bigotry countless times and if I recall are very diverse as far as staff goes.

The answer here is simple: if Insomniac values diversity and dislikes bigotry the way they say they do, they can drop Taylor and replace him with a voice actor who isn't an unapologetic racist.

The onus is not on the consumer to protect a developer from their mistakes.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
"Punish my god people this has to be the most stupid thing i have seen, so many people "punish" them all the time when they decide to buy something else, if people don't want to buy their game because one person is being an alt-right asshole they are in their right to do so
Customer is always right but i just think attributing a whole company's staff to this one person isn't it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Customer is always right but i just think attributing a whole company's staff to this one person isn't it.

The product is a reflection of the company that made it. Nobody is saying every single member of Insom's staff is racist because they hired an actor who turned out to be racist.

But unfortunately, the literal face of the Ratchet series is now associated with Taylor's behavior and that is a black mark on the franchise moving forward unless Insomniac addresses it before release.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No one said anything about the ethics of every individual Insomniac employee, so don't move the goalposts.

This is about JAT and his bigotry. It is okay for people to decline buying the game in protest of his continued status as Ratchet's actor.

To imply otherwise suggests a responsibility for consumers, especially minority consumers, to prop up companies and products that they don't believe represent their interests.

And that's not how this bitch works. I'll buy or not buy whatever I want for any reason. If you only have a problem with my purchasing habits when I conduct them on the basis of anti-bigotry grounds, that's a problem you need to reflect on.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just assume people are the worst and you'll never be dissappointed by their stupidity.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Topic title could have just said the voice actor made a Parler account and that would have been all we needed to know. Actually posting his stupid ass beliefs is, strangely, icing on this shitty cake.

Who needs to "make a list" of the fringe when all we gotta ask is "do they have a Parler account?"

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
The product is a reflection of the company that made it. Nobody is saying every single member of Insom's staff is racist because they hired an actor who turned out to be racist.

But unfortunately, the literal face of the Ratchet series is now associated with Taylor's behavior and that is a black mark on the franchise moving forward unless Insomniac addresses it before release.
Here is the tricky part though, R&C is a Sony owned license and they have plenty of say towards their funding/backing goes. Of course the direction is in Insomniac's court but if Sony wants something like said voice actor to keep his major role, that's not on Insomniac.

I am cool either way if someone wants to wait to buy the game, i can seperate art from artist but i respect others who don't want to or can't. No one is wrong, i just like Insomniac games and want to support them because whether it was Spyro, Spiderman, R&C or Sunset Overdrive they hit on my gaming tastebuds.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So like is Parker all political stuff or are people using it as a regular FB alternative as well?

Like do people post "what Friends character are you?" polls in between discussing skull structures?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Here is the tricky part though, R&C is a Sony owned license and they have plenty of say towards their funding/backing goes. Of course the direction is in Insomniac's court but if Sony wants something like said voice actor to keep his major role, that's not on Insomniac.

I am cool either way if someone wants to wait to buy the game, i can seperate art from artist but i respect others who don't want to or can't. No one is wrong, i just like Insomniac games and want to support them because whether it was Spyro, Spiderman, R&C or Sunset Overdrive they hit on my gaming tastebuds.

I mean if Sony is willing to risk burning the entire franchise down just to keep one voice actor on payroll, that reflects badly on Sony.

WTF what's wrong with Michiru Yamane?

She was posting conspiracy theories about the US election being rigged on social media last week. I don't know if she doubled down or not or if she's just ignorant about the political process.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017

If the decision to keep JAT in came from Sony, that would be even bigger reason to not buy the game, to be honest.

Anyway, it's not the customers job to protect companies.

Oct 26, 2017
n9qvqwfp6hk41.png

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
My heart would break so hard if Nolan North were ever like this. He seems like too nice of a guy to though.