• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
damn, nuclear throne and luftrausers are amazing.

wonder what's next for those two guys

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Dang. I guess Jan Willem Nijman has already done Minit and the upcoming Disc Room on the side, so we're still probably going to be getting plenty more of that sort of thing without the studio. What an amazing run they had together though.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Nuclear Throne will always be one of my favorite games, hopefully they go on to create cool stuff individually.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
What?

Why?!?

ridiculous-fishing-2.gif

Ridiculous Fishing was amazing and made me realize how underproduced most iPhone games were. I 100%ed it twice due to all the extra in-game unlockables. I also love Nuclear Throne, Gun Godz and I've been meaning to play my copy of Luftrausers.

I'm so sad about this, I really liked these guys.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
that 2010-2015 run was godlike. few studios will ever manage such an incredible run. wish nothing but the best for all of the vlambeer team. i know they're all going to keep doing great things.

finally

Jul 22, 2019
I couldn't believe how the guys who made amazing game like NT, are now making very small game that looks like a flash game (ULTRABUGS)..I felt something was off, so maybe this news is related to thIs

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
In 2010, two Dutch students—Rami Ismail and Jan Willem Nijman—founded an independent video game studio. It would start with some fishing, go on to release games like Nuclear Throne and Luftrausers, and now in 2020 is shutting down like a rock band deciding yeah, you know what, enough is enough.

So broken is this industry that we're used to seeing developers and their studios go out one way and one way only: succumbing to the relentless pressures of life in the video game business by closing their doors, usually as a result of some kind of sales or development disaster.

It's fitting then that Vlambeer—a studio that has done as much as any other over the past decade to redefine what it means to be an independent developer and the kind of success one can achieve—bucks that trend by simply riding off into the sunset. Both co-founders have announced today that they're winding the company up on its tenth birthday, and going their separate ways.

There's no business failure, no stinking turd of a game and no upset community in their wake. Just two guys looking at themselves, their place in life in 2020 vs when they began, and a mutual decision that, yeah, it's probably time to call it a day.

kotaku.com

Vlambeer Is Closing Down

In 2010, two Dutch students—Rami Ismail and Jan Willem Nijman—founded an independent video game studio. It would start with some fishing, go on to release games like Nuclear Throne and Luftrausers, and now in 2020 is shutting down like a rock band deciding yeah, you know what, enough is enough.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
At least they decided to close up on their own terms, and not due to any pressure or failures, just moving on. Will be interesting to see what happens next with them.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
That sucks, but this is a tough industry and sometimes you just get out-businessed.

They've made some wonderful games and I have no doubt they'll find success on their own.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Good luck to the two of them. They're branching out with smaller projects here and there anyway so at this point they're more like "consultants" to the industry.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i was really, really hoping for a ridiculous fishing sequel, too. that game is so good and has so much potential for an expanded experience. dang.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Why can't we have nice things? ☹️

This is saddening. Absolutely loved their early output but never picked up Nuclear Throne because I didn't feel ready to move on from Binding of Isaac...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so what happens to all their IP then?

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Can't say I've ever heard of them, their company, or the games they made. So no big loss for me. I'm glad though they're going out for a relatively good reason, as opposed to some of the other awful alternatives we've been seeing in this industry.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I enjoyed Nuclear Throne a lot when I bought it a few years ago. Haven't played any of their other titles, but this is a shame to hear. At least they finished up on their own terms.

Oct 27, 2017
Will be a shame as I've really liked many of the games from them, but I hope they go on to do stuff which makes them happy, and even better if they stay in the industry. At least they're ending on their terms and not due to the business struggling.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Ridiculous Fishing is an all timer. A truly great game that worked with the limitations of cell phone controls.

Oct 29, 2017

ah good. It looked neat, glad it will still come out. And while yes, it's sad, this is not TERRIBLY surprising. JW has been doing solo/other stuff with Devolver for a while (Minit, Disc Room), and Rami has been doing the game industry event touring game for so long I figure he could probably spin that off into its own business.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sad to see these guys call it quits.

My story with Vlambeer is really small and short, but meaningful to me. I remember being hearing of /seeing these guys for the first time during a very small NYU video game awards thing in New York City. It was a cool little event with a bunch of industry people visiting (Jason Schreier included). IIRC they only voted on submitted games, and Ridiculous Fishing won Game of the Year, and the developers were there to accept that reward.

I never actually heard of Ridiculous Fishing, but I was curious. I bought it, and I was like, "That's it? That's the whole game?" Lol. But eventually the game really grew on me hard and I ended up really loving it. It's a really great game. Every couple of years when I think of it, I have to play it on my phone, from beginning to end.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly made a huge name for themselves in the indie sphere. Best of luck to them on whatever they decide to do next!

Also, in case nobody ever realized: the name of the studio was pronounced "flahm-beyr," not "vlam-bier." Their mascot is a bear that is on fire (Dutch for "flame-bear").

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame but not too surprising when they sort of winded down after Nuclear Throne and moved onto other projects. At least it's on their own terms and theres still Ultrabugs.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sad news - always loved their output.

As far as the sale's concerned, I need to shout out Fred Wood's Love and kuso - fantastic minimalist platformers that I found suprisingly emotional experiences. I adore the OST for Love especially:

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Jan had been working on several games independently of Rami for a while now so it isn't too surprising to me.

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nuclear Throne is still regularly played by me. I remember when I first unlocked the Melting B Skin. I was so fucking happy.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I've ever heard of them, their company, or the games they made. So no big loss for me. I'm glad though they're going out for a relatively good reason, as opposed to some of the other awful alternatives we've been seeing in this industry.

This is a strange thing to post.

Also, play Nuclear Throne.

You're welcome. I'm glad you see the benefit of using a forum to view others' valid opinions that are different from your own.

It's just weird reasoning. How do you know it is of no big loss to you if you aren't even aware of their output?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
You're welcome. I'm glad you see the benefit of using a forum to view others' valid opinions that are different from your own.

imagine thinking you had to weigh in on topics you know nothing about with a post that is just "don't care"

like, why? why would you feel the need to do that. why would you think that doing so was valuable.

i'm criticizing you because that's a dumbass thing to do. if your defense to that criticism is "it's a FORUM and i can post what i want" that says it all, really.

Oct 29, 2017
What?

Why?!?

ridiculous-fishing-2.gif

Ridiculous Fishing was amazing and made me realize how underproduced most iPhone games were. I 100%ed it twice due to all the extra in-game unlockables. I also love Nuclear Throne, Gun Godz and I've been meaning to play my copy of Luftrausers.

I'm so sad about this, I really liked these guys.
Oh I had no idea that this was them! I just played this a couple months ago. Wow