• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Getting out-bidded is a part of business and competition, no matter how many times Valve fans try to use this talking point.
One side isn't bidding at all. They certainly could if they wanted to, but long term is it worth it for them. Thanks the calculation.
epic is probably fine with an ultimately tiny store with only a relatively few major releases on it, that is not the platform Steam has cultivated and by getting into the business of choosing winners and losers by trying to buy large titles exclusivity that's probably not a road that it's worth it for them to go down.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
You can't really use Nintendo as a good barometer of what Epic is doing.

Even then, the kinds of indie developers who are being hurt by Steam's curation aren't exactly the kind of indie developers who can get a booth at the show floor at PAX. If you have the marketing budget to get a booth there then you'll definitely have the marketing budget to not rely exclusively on a storefront to get your game out there.

Epic Games is not competition, they're just Steam in different clothing but with more legitimately monopolistic tendencies. There's nothing to indicate that Epic can somehow solve the issue of indie failures due to an over-abundance of games and lack of discoverability; all we've seen so far is them taking already-successful projects and putting them onto their own platform so they can reap the rewards instead.

Epic Games has an 88% cut for the developers each time a game is sold.

Steam has a 70% cut for the developer.

Now ask yourself as a developer why would you want to support a store that was offering you a lot more money and a better cut over the only store thats been a realistic way to sell your own games that is increasingly being taken over by low quality troll games like "Milky Boobs" and "Wild Animal Racing"? Yall are so out there your accusing Epic games of making a monopoly by chllaneging the incredibly dominant storefront!

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
you aren't allowed to complain unless you are directly affected is the makeup for this thread's thought processing

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's terrible that in 2019, indie devs are convinced their games bombed because of some algorithm and not because their game was just not appealing at all.
Forget about Steam because this is new info. You can sit there and say what happened after Youtube changed their algorithm was healthy for the growth of smaller creators?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Indie devs talking about Steam now:

Yep. Seems like it. Look dude, maybe some of these indie games aren't selling because...they aren't that great?

If valve somehow fucked up their algorithm, he has a valid complaint about them needing to fix their shit for sure. I'll never be cool with throwing cash at a dev to keep games off other stores. I play on pc for options and choice, not to be pigeonholed into some garbage.

Fucking launcher wars LOL what a time to be alive

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Big" Indies are hardly safe on Steam though. It's not like we haven't seen tons of them end up with a bomb or two after having a successful title on Steam. Supergiant's Pyre being a good example among the devs you mentioned. Ultimately there's no reason for them to risk going unnoticed on Steam, when they can get guaranteed returns and marketing through EGS.
you mean the exact same Pyre that bombed even harder on consoles? Fairly ridiculous to try to blame Steam for Pyre failing.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Now ask yourself as a developer why would you want to support a store that was offering you a lot more money and a better cut over the only store thats been a realistic way to sell your own games that is increasingly being taken over by low quality troll games like "Milky Boobs" and "Wild Animal Racing"? Yall are so out there your accusing Epic games of making a monopoly by chllaneging the incredibly dominant storefront!

If your high quality game is getting overshadowed by those games then you have much bigger problems.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Lol what is with people bringing up a Vlambeer's sales on a steam as though that's even remotely relevant to what he said?
Are people just that desperate to defend Valve?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

You can't be serious thinking that the store is being taken over by that type of content. Holds about as much water as eShop being taken over by shovelware mobile ports. Get a grip, man.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Why'd you just quote two different posts from me and respond with the same thing even though I've already responded to your first post?
You replied lmao originally. Then edited. That's not really a reply. You think you are being attacked cus a dev criticised a large corporation who makes a large amount of money from them. The dev's allowed to complain about them. They aren't attacking you. Grow up.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Steam's recommendation system changes have been terrible for indie developers. Valve really needs to rectify this because animosity has been brewing in the game dev scene.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
How long do you think Epic is going to keep up the practice of paying individual developers for exclusivity? Do you think they'll keep doing it once they have an install base on par with Steam, or if they manage to top them?
they'll keep doing it as long as it is beneficial to them. presumably once epic becomes the new defacto place to buy games, they won't even have to bribe devs anymore, that'll just be the app with the biggest install base so developers will automatically look to have their game on the store.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The platform holder should. Plain and simple. You shouldn't be able to upload whatever the fuck you want to and charge money for it and thats kind of about where were at with Steam.
With an excellent refund policy (Steam has a pretty fuckin good one) why not? Is your complaint about level of quality or standards of decency?

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Totally agree with him. And it's funny reading dissenting opinions considering they've most likely never made/tried to sell a game and comparatively have no idea wtf they're talking about.

Some indie developers have no idea on how to sell their own games.
You don't put your game into a store with other 10k games and blame the store because there's no visibility.

If you don't market your god damn game don't pretend Steam or other major platform to do the job for you.

We have PLENTY of successfull games on Steam, indie developers are not entitled to success.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the last big winter sale had indie devs making a third/fourth of what they would usually make and a lot of devs at the time were attributing that to the change in the discovery system https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Eri...orithm_Whats_Happening_to_Indies_on_Steam.php
Skimming the article, I'm seeing a whole lot of "anonymous indie title" in there. One of the Tweets is even from a dev whose games all have less than 100 reviews on Steam dating back to like 2015.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely feels like there's a contingent of developers and people in the games media who are resentful towards Steam for various reasons and have decided to latch on to Epic as the good guy, which is why you get so many, "finally some competition!" takes.

Hey guys, I also am not a fucking fan of Steam, I think they're slow as fuck and antiquated in a lot of ways, they're way too hands off on certain things and I'm so tired of waiting for the client to update every single time I turn on my computer or want to play a game, instead of it you know, doing it in the goddamn background but that doesn't mean I'm out here saying, "woo! I'm cheering for the other rich mega corporation that is screwing over consumers as much as possible!"

Yes but the only language anyone in the corporate world cares about is money. Money talks and bullshit walks. If you don't have a bigger company with the punching power to go head to head with the monolith that valve has built over the last 10 years or so Valve is never going to be forced to lift a goddamn finger if they don't want to.

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
The platform holder should. Plain and simple. You shouldn't be able to upload whatever the fuck you want to and charge money for it and thats kind of about where were at with Steam.

Oh you will love the fascist futur where conglomerates tell you what to read, what to watch, what to play.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
you mean the exact same Pyre that bombed even harder on consoles? Fairly ridiculous to try to blame Steam for Pyre failing.
I wasn't, my point was simply that being known, and making a quality game, is not a free ticket. Thus claiming that they don't need these kinds of deals doesn't really make sense.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You replied lmao originally. Then edited. That's not really a reply. You think you are being attacked cus a dev criticised a large corporation who makes a large amount of money from them. The dev's allowed to complain about them. They aren't attacking you. Grow up.
I'm responding to someone who said I wasn't allowed to criticize the dev for their inability to code their games to support greater than 30fps.

Lol what is with people bringing up a Vlambeer's sales on a steam as though that's even remotely relevant to what he said?
Are people just that desperate to defend Valve?
Because he's criticizing Steam algorithm and nobody's mentioning the names of specific titles affected by it. Seems hard to criticize something you weren't affected by, and seems like he's just another dev offered a bag of money by Epic.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
it's okay to hate steam but man, dude, you should really hate epic too with the stuff thats recently come out

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm with Rami on this one, and I've long gotten the impression that he's a pretty clever, with-it dude...

It's just that he's using the narrative that Steam should suffer because developers deserve 100% of revenues. That's his angle and it's a dreadfully narrow one. Don't engage with him about it either because you'll only end up wasting your time.
...but this is a proper bad opinion, wow. Digital storefronts do a lot of work for you in connecting you with your audience; they deserve to be reimbursed for this.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
If you don't market your god damn game don't pretend Steam or other major platform to do the job for you.

What defines 'good marketing'?

How much effort is meant to be put in the marketing department for a game and do you attribute that price to the size of the actual development team?

Like a lot of people on this site can feel comfortable about just saying 'just market good/better' but do you know how much investment that shit takes? I work in sales/marketing and I can definitely imagine marketing a game can be just as gruesome as any other product, if not worse.

This idea that digital storefronts aren't responsible/don't attribute to the marketing process is some dumbass shit to say, PLEASE stop saying this dumbass shit and pretend that you know what the hell you're talking about.

Cause you don't!

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you will love the fascist futur where conglomerates tell you what to read, what to watch, what to play.
Haha holy fuck 😂
Do you love the current fascist future we live in where supermarkets tell you what to eat and drink?

Having basic quality control of your storefront isn't "fascism." Valve has some very real issues related to fascists and the Steam community features though.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Silly clickbait thread title. I enjoy following Rami and his thoughts on the industry.

Also, this was posted a ways back. An important thing to note, and perspective on where he's coming from.

Ismail goes on to discuss the change in the context of Valve's impact on indie development, saying "there's an entire generation of indie game developers that got wiped out because of an algorithmic change in Valve's recommendation algorithms and they said, 'Well that's just what the data said'. Well here's what the data said, it said that Metro Exodus is not on Steam because the deal Epic gave [developer 4A Games] was better. To call that unfair, but call all they do just data, it couldn't have been a funnier statement from that perspective."

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, should've Valve just have said "You got outbusinessed, sucks you be you." to the devs that got low sales?

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
they'll keep doing it as long as it is beneficial to them. presumably once epic becomes the new defacto place to buy games, they won't even have to bribe devs anymore, that'll just be the app with the biggest install base so developers will automatically look to have their game on the store.
And that benefits any of us how? Once the curated, smaller pool of available games AND the cash bonus for signing up are both gone, how have developers benefited? Is an extra 18% of revenue enough to make up for, say, the earlier example offered of Steam devs making a third as much in the recent Winter sale as they did in older ones?

Epic's strategy of securing exclusives for their platform isn't just actively anti-consumer, it's not sustainable. Once the strategy of throwing money at things either runs out of resources or isn't necessary anymore, suddenly the deal for indie devs isn't so sweet.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Eh, Valve never paid money to monopolize 3rd party titles to be exclusive to Steam.

If that's being "out-businessed" then this person obviously has zero idea what PC gamers want. Exclusivity is anathema to what PC gaming stands for

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hate boner for EGS is something I'll never fully understand, but Rami is a thousand percent right

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Epic has something even remotely resembling a plan for opening up the store to a fraction of the number of developers allowed on Steam then maybe there will be a conversation worth having. Until then, I'll continue to be baffled to see all these woke, empathetic posters cheering the idea of a large corporation putting themselves in charge of which indie developers win and which lose.
I mean, I don't disagree about Epic's bullshit. I'm not defending Epic. I'm not saying that Epic's great actually when I'm agreeing with Rami on Valve's bullshit.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Steam's recommendation system changes have been terrible for indie developers. Valve really needs to rectify this because animosity has been brewing in the game dev scene.

I mean, we don't have concrete evidence of this other than some developers complaining that their game doesn't sell well, and a few games selling better on switch. There could be a million reasons to explain this, from marketing budgets of games, market saturation, release timing, genre preference, competing markets, etc. etc. It's easy to blame steam for everything but I don't know how realistic that is.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Some indie developers have no idea on how to sell their own games.
You don't put your game into a store with other 10k games and blame the store because there's no visibility.

We have PLENTY of successfull games on Steam, indie developers are not entitled to success.

I don't think most devs actually believe that because they made and put a game on Steam/any storefront means that they're entitled to success.

And it's obvious that you have to do something to get people excited. But a platform holder doing their part (beyond just being a store) can go a long way.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
He's right and I'm not quite sure why people are dismissing him so easily, unless they're just reading the title. The lengths that people go to, and you see it in this thread, to defend Valve from any kind of mild criticism is incredibly idiotic. Steam hasn't been good for developers recently so of course the developer isn't going to be the most sympathetic towards them. Especially someone like Rami who is a larger figure in the indie game community and knows people who haven't been as fortunate as Vlambeer have been.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Silly clickbait thread title. I enjoy following Rami and his thoughts on the industry.

Also, this was posted a ways back. An important thing to note, and perspective on where he's coming from.
Yes, that quote is literally in the OP. People are responding to it by pointing out Vlambeer has sold an incredible amount of copies of their games on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017

I get his perspective but ultimately it's asinine and short-sighted. If he thinks an entire generation got wiped out, fine, what does he think about the fact that probably the majority of those games that were released when does been accessible on any other major platform in the first place.

if you were relying on the goodwill of a storefront to make sure people know about your product you shouldn't be in business anyway.

Plum

May 31, 2018
"Big" Indies are hardly safe on Steam though. It's not like we haven't seen tons of them end up with a bomb or two after having a successful title on Steam. Supergiant's Pyre being a good example among the devs you mentioned. Ultimately there's no reason for them to risk going unnoticed on Steam, when they can get guaranteed returns and marketing through EGS.

Who's to say Pyre would have sold as much as Bastion or Transistor if it released as an EGS exclusive? It was a weird VN/RPG/Sports hybrid with an art-style and world that was, at least in my opinion (as someone who played and enjoyed it), less easy-to-relate to than To place the blame of it not being as successful solely on Steam seems just short-sighted. Developers aren't marketers by default, so when they discuss why their games didn't sell well they can be just as misguided as someone complaining why Spider-Man had fewer puddles.

I wasn't, my point was simply that being known, and making a quality game, is not a free ticket. Thus claiming that they don't need these kinds of deals doesn't really make sense.
I didn't say that, so don't put words in my mouth. I said that the kinds of developers getting these deals from Epic are not the kinds of developers Ismail is referring to when he talks about the "lost generation" of indie developers. They're established names who can take advantage of these new deals and platforms much more easily than the vast majority of other indies.

That's good, but it does not solve the issue of new indie developers being lost due to discoverability issues. Epic is not solving the problem because "heavy curation" is not the solution to "no curation," and it never has been. Those who are already successful (in indie game terms) can potentially find more success on Epic's platform, but for those who don't have that same success the situation might as well have not changed in the slightest.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With an excellent refund policy (Steam has a pretty fuckin good one) why not? Is your complaint about level of quality or standards of decency?
Both. Shit like "FEMINAZI: The Triggering " is being sold on steam right now and garbage like this makes it harder to wade through the mountains of stuff to find the actual indie gems. And again like I've said in other threads countless times Valves solution to this is the curator program or basically "Do it yourselves"

Status
Not open for further replies.