• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
Rami Ismail tells Valve "sucks to be you" over Epic store exclusives

Nuclear Throne developer Rami Ismail says that Valve was simply "out-businessed" over Metro Exodus' move from Steam to the Epic Games store. In an interview with PCGamesN at Yorkshire Games Festival (which you can read in full here), the Vlambeer co-founder made fun of Valve's statement, which said that the game's move was "unfair" to consumers.
Ismail says that "the only thing I will argue in Valve's favour is that it was a game that was up from pre-order that was pulled, and I think being transparent about that messaging is important. But Valve arguing anything being unfair, with the position they're in, they just got out-businessed. I'm sorry, it sucks to be you."

Ismail goes on to discuss the change in the context of Valve's impact on indie development, saying "there's an entire generation of indie game developers that got wiped out because of an algorithmic change in Valve's recommendation algorithms and they said, 'Well that's just what the data said'. Well here's what the data said, it said that Metro Exodus is not on Steam because the deal Epic gave [developer 4A Games] was better. To call that unfair, but call all they do just data, it couldn't have been a funnier statement from that perspective."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/metro-exodus/rami-ismail-steam-epic

Woah.

More in the article.

Edit: added the second paragraph to add more context on Ramil position.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
He's right. (Also Valve's mess of a store with curation is a liability they have shown they'd rather let fester as they tweak an algorithm than truly fix).

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
You left out another interesting bit:

Ismail goes on to discuss the change in the context of Valve's impact on indie development, saying "there's an entire generation of indie game developers that got wiped out because of an algorithmic change in Valve's recommendation algorithms and they said, 'Well that's just what the data said'. Well here's what the data said, it said that Metro Exodus is not on Steam because the deal Epic gave [developer 4A Games] was better. To call that unfair, but call all they do just data, it couldn't have been a funnier statement from that perspective."

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's terrible that in 2019, indie devs are convinced their games bombed because of some algorithm and not because their game was just not appealing at all.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The list of developers I've bought games from in the past that I won't in the future grows.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's right and also had a section in there about how Valve screwed over indie devs (hint: he's an indie dev), but that won't get clicks or start internet fights about digital storefronts.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's right. Valve has had market dominance and could have made the decision to improve developer revenue share (and a dozen other aspects of its storefront) on its own at any time. It should come as no surprise to anyone that developers are leaping at the opportunity to get 88% over 70%. And every game that moves to Epic over Steam is another lost opportunity on Valve's part. It won't end until Steam makes the change. And no consumer should pity Valve in that respect.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wow, that is not beating around the bush. At least Rami does agree that pulling a game that was up for preorder is crappy.

Today is crazy.

Oct 26, 2017
Ismail says that "the only thing I will argue in Valve's favour is that it was a game that was up from pre-order that was pulled, and I think being transparent about that messaging is important. But Valve arguing anything being unfair, with the position they're in, they just got out-businessed. I'm sorry, it sucks to be you."

Well... yeah, no lies detected. Not a lot to Woah over.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Rami has been very very vocal about his hate of Steam on Twitter for a while now.

It's just that he's using the narrative that Steam should suffer because developers deserve 100% of revenues. That's his angle and it's a dreadfully narrow one. Don't engage with him about it either because you'll only end up wasting your time.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
There must be some fascinating backroom drama behind Rami and Valve. Cause his other quotes in the article make him look like a salty 13 year old lol

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's hard to "out-business" someone who offers more money.

I loathe the Epic Store but I can't blame indie devs for taking that deal.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe read the whole thing and understand the context first?

I read the OP. The additional context makes it sounds like he just hates how Valve operates.

He's kidding himself if he thinks discoverability won't get just as bad on EGS if it continues to grow. It might be a sweet time for select devs that get Epic's love right now, but that will not last.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Updated thread title, just putting Rami's name in.

Am I crazy or was there a thread about this already btw I might be mixing things up

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
What is up with people's blind obsession with the Valve monopoly?

They've rested on their laurels and raked in the cash. I'm glad they're being challenged.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
This guy has been whining for a long time.

Sorry, not every game is going to be successful. The indie scene has exploded and there's gobs more competition now. You're not entitled to sell well.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's terrible that in 2019, indie devs are convinced their games bombed because of some algorithm and not because their game was just not appealing at all.

How do you explain the fact that indies are increasingly finding more success on Switch rather than Steam? Its been two years, and it certainly isn't because Switch users are starving for games.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
He's completely right.

Epic is offering developers a better deal, and Valve has done nothing to counter it. They've just rested on their ubiquity & consumer popularity to pressure devs into taking a worse deal than they deserve.

It's not great for consumers, but the pressure should be on Steam to actually compete - in addition to pressuring Epic to improve their platform and policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.