• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing price! How is the screen quality in comparison to their LCD/LED TVs?
Haven't read it in detail, but it got an 8.4 from rtings (LG CX: 8.8, X900H: 8.0, etc.). Looks like a solid TV!

www.rtings.com

Vizio OLED 2020 Review (OLED55-H1, OLED65-H1)

The Vizio OLED 2020 is the first OLED TV Vizio has released and delivers excellent overall performance. Like any OLED TV, its ability to turn off individual pixe...

Edit: Didn't see that you were asking about other Vizio TVs, but maybe the above will still be useful for others. LOL

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever fix their VRR problems?

Haven't read it in detail, but it got an 8.4 from rtings (LG CX: 8.8, X900H: 8.0, etc.). Looks like a solid TV!

www.rtings.com

Vizio OLED 2020 Review (OLED55-H1, OLED65-H1)

The Vizio OLED 2020 is the first OLED TV Vizio has released and delivers excellent overall performance. Like any OLED TV, its ability to turn off individual pixe...

Edit: Didn't see that you were asking about other Vizio TVs, but maybe the above will still be useful for others. LOL

Scores on rtings are meaningless if you don't understand how they come up with their scores. They had TVs that had no HDR functionality scoring a 4.6 rating in HDR capability last year. They had just the mere fact that a TV took any HDR signal regardless of quality as a 7 too last year as well. Their scores can be awfully misleading on the surface.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
There are some really bad user reviews for this TV on bestbuy, though.

Yeah, I really wouldn't recommend Vizio, at least not for a high-end TV. Their quality control isn't great and their software has issues. If you're gonna spend $1500 on a TV, get something from Sony, Samsung or LG.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
Rtings liked it: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/oled-2020

Overall 8.4, HDR Gaming 8.0
The Vizio OLED is an impressive TV for most uses. Thanks to its infinite contrast ratio and perfect black uniformity, it's an excellent choice for watching movies in dark rooms. It has wide viewing angles if you want to watch shows or sports with a large group of people. It has a near-instant response time and low input lag for gaming, but its VRR support doesn't work. Unfortunately, there's temporary image retention and risk of permanent burn-in, so it's not ideal for use as a PC monitor.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing price! How is the screen quality in comparison to their LCD/LED TVs?
These sets use LG OLED panels, so it'll look better than any display Vizio has ever made, particularly in a light controlled room.

Biggest things you're losing compared to LG OLEDs is these Vizio sets are dimmer, you don't get that sterling LG customer support, and there's some day one bugs (that Vizio says they will be correcting with firmware updates).

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel like this isn't really worth it. 55" CX is $1,399 and a much better TV. Or just spend a couple hundred more for the 65" CX.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I feel like this isn't really worth it. 55" CX is $1,399 and a much better TV.
It's 10" smaller though. They aren't really comparable.

The relevant one to compare to would be the 65" BX. They have comparable PQ and the BX is on sale for $1800.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Did they ever fix their VRR problems?

Scores on rtings are meaningless if you don't understand how they come up with their scores. They had TVs that had no HDR functionality scoring a 4.6 rating in HDR capability last year. They had just the mere fact that a TV took any HDR signal regardless of quality as a 7 too last year as well. Their scores can be awfully misleading on the surface.
Got an email from them yesterday wit this in the Subject line
New AMD FreeSync Software Update Coming
So its a matter a time. I know Sony just dropped a firmware on there 900H also.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. It's a much, much better TV for just a few hundred more.
I mean, it's nearly the cost of a PS5 digital in price difference. Not everyone has a few extra hundred to spare.

I definitely agree LG OLEDs are better. I own a 65" C9 and a 55" B8 myself. But I think these Vizio's are nice deals at a $1500 price point. They're very comparable to LG's BX line (but much cheaper).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This is perhaps getting off-topic, but I've heard stutter on lower framerate content like movies is an issue with OLED TVs like these. I know I've seen this discussed quite a bit in hdtvtest videos and such, but some folks make it sound like it's a real dealbreaker. I don't watch a lot of movies, so I doubt it would have much of an impact on me, but curious what others think.

Of course, always read the fine print. :)

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Caveat Emptor on this tv - it's a first gen OLED so it probably won't perform well vs more mature brands. I'd spend a little bit more and just get a CX

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
From rtings (as of the 2.1 firmware update - review updated 4 days ago):

"This TV has variable refresh rate support, but there are a ton of bugs and issues when using it. VRR can be enabled with 1440p or 4k content, but it doesn't work at all on any port and constantly tears. It can be enabled on a G-SYNC PC, but it makes the TV crash every time, and therefore doesn't actually work. FreeSync is enabled with 1080p content between 40-60Hz, but there's some tearing. To enable VRR, enable Game Low Latency and Variable Refresh Rate. "

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is perhaps getting off-topic, but I've heard stutter on lower framerate content like movies is an issue with OLED TVs like these. I know I've seen this discussed quite a bit in hdtvtest videos and such, but some folks make it sound like it's a real dealbreaker. I don't watch a lot of movies, so I doubt it would have much of an impact on me, but curious what others think.
Because OLEDs have virtually instantaneous response time, judder can be a bit more noticeable. It's not really a technical flaw, but a side effect of OLEDs design. On LG OLEDs there's a setting called TruMotion that tackles this though. In my experience, setting De-Judder to 1 and De-Blur to 10 in that setting completely eliminates judder without introducing any weird soap opera effect.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Got an email from them yesterday wit this in the Subject line

So its a matter a time. I know Sony just dropped a firmware on there 900H also.

Never buy based on promised firmware. You never know how it's going to turn out. Sony's firmware update has problems and limitations. Yamaha promised a firmware update for their receivers to enable HDMI 2.1 and now we learn there's a hardware bug preventing 4K120 from working. There's no way you can know how the firmware update will turn out until it has dropped and you won't learn about the issues around their implementation until then. So never buy based on a promised update.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're changing your TV every year, I would spend a few hundred dollars extra for a better model

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
Do not buy a vizio, I bought the vizio p-55 when it was the darling the year it came out I believe in 2016. Super high marks from rtings and had dolby vision and hdr. Now after owning it for 4 years sometimes it doesn't turn on and I have to go through a whole step by step process to turn it on. The onscreen menu is slow as molasses when navigating with the crappy ass remote that it came with because using the app is such a pain that I quit using that a long time. The HDR is almost worthless every time I've watched something with HDR it's barely any difference. Never once used dolby vision since hardly any shows or movies have that. Every firmware update breaks something else and a firmware almost 2 or 3 years ago added additional lag to the tv as well when gaming in HDR. I would never buy one again.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up - the 55" LG CX is also in sale at Best Buy for only $50 more than the 55" model of this if you have a Best Buy account

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Just FYI, ive had a couple vizios (not oled) and they look pretty fantastic when they work. They are really bad about releasing firmware that breaks stuff, then not communicating that they are aware and are fixing it. They generally do fix it but they leave users with broken features and no idea when it will be fixed or if vizio even knows. They eventually get everything ironed out, but just saying this is their first OLED and there are probably going to be firmware bugs for quite a while.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Never buy based on promised firmware. You never know how it's going to turn out. Sony's firmware update has problems and limitations. Yamaha promised a firmware update for their receivers to enable HDMI 2.1 and now we learn there's a hardware bug preventing 4K120 from working. There's no way you can know how the firmware update will turn out until it has dropped and you won't learn about the issues around their implementation until then. So never buy based on a promised update.
Very true.
I mean they make them for Sony as well and the picture quality is massively better. It's all about processing, not necessarily panels
Yup. Just wanted to be clear it wasn't Vizio making their own.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Because OLEDs have virtually instantaneous response time, judder can be a bit more noticeable. It's not really a technical flaw, but a side effect of OLEDs design. On LG OLEDs there's a setting called TruMotion that tackles this though. In my experience, setting De-Judder to 1 and De-Blur to 10 in that setting completely eliminates judder without introducing any weird soap opera effect.
Thanks for putting this into terms I can understand. I've been so close to pulling the trigger on a CX display recently, but also feel like we're sort of in that weird "in between" phase (like when HDR was still relatively new) where the various bits of hardware/software are still trying to harmonize, for lack of a better term, so I might wait until sometime next year. I also haven't been able to secure either next gen console, so there's that holding me back as well. LOL Thanks again for your response!

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Someone convince me to return my 65" x900h and get this or the LG.

For the LG,

Better picture quality
Better black levels
Better contrast
More HDMI 2.1 ports
VRR
Doesn't degrade the picture when displaying at 120hz (Sony calls this a feature not a bug)
Allows Dolby Vision and HDMI 2.1 to be used at the same time

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
For the LG,

Better picture quality
Better black levels
Better contrast
More HDMI 2.1 ports
VRR
Doesn't degrade the picture when displaying at 120hz (Sony calls this a feature not a bug)
Allows Dolby Vision and HDMI 2.1 to be used at the same time

My 2 concerns with the LG:

-Burn-in
-It's an additional $900, so I might got with the 55" instead of the 65".

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People really should check out the AVS thread on this set. Software seems extremely buggy. A Vizio employee has been in the thread communicating with users but idk if the discount negates the headache or supersedes the fact that fixes while promised are not guaranteed.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plusses of LG OLED: It's better in literally every way
Negatives: It's more expensive

That's it, really. I'm not even going to include burn in because it's a non issue on modern OLEDs under normal usage.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
My 2 concerns with the LG:

-Burn-in
-It's an additional $900, so I might got with the 55" instead of the 65".

Burn-in tends to be overstated. It is still possible under more extreme circumstances, but under normal usage it is very unlikely to happen with panels these days and the things that the sets do to mitigate it. Unless you are displaying the same thing every day for many hours every day and there is something static in the same place all that time, you're probably not going to experience burn in and even in those cases it takes a long time to kick in.

The additional $900 on the other had is certainly something to consider but that will be a personal decision based on factors such as how often you plan to upgrade your TV and how much you feel comfortable spending on a TV. The C9 65" went for as low as $1600 last year during the holidays but who knows if that will happen this year. I will say I'd rather pay more for a much better TV upfront and do it right the first time rather than upgrade more frequently over the same period and spend a comparable amount in the end. Having known issues up front just makes it seem like you'll have it on your mind to fix those issues sooner rather than later by upgrading to a newer set.

Personally, I'm done with LCD sets. It's a way outdated technology that really is a shame that it won out over better technology. Those problems that were there 10, 15 years ago with LCD tech are still here today. Viewing angle is another issue with LCD sets that I didn't mention above. LCDs have limited viewing angles and that's annoying to me. I hate even a slight color shift just because you went beyond the allowed viewing angle. I'm too used to screens now that don't have this problem to go back to it too. I get why the Sony X900H is getting so much attention, but now isn't a bad time to move on from LCD screens. Hell even Samsung is and they're the leader in LCD screens.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Plusses of LG OLED: It's better in literally every way
Negatives: It's more expensive

That's it, really. I'm not even going to include burn in because it's a non issue on modern OLEDs under normal usage.

One more bit of devil's advocacy for the x900h: the interface is amazing.

I literally walk into my tv room and say "Hey Google, turn on the TV" and my Sony, the soundbar, and the PlayStation all kick on.

I've read mixed things about webos on the LG sets being as fully featured. Android TVs are pretty stellar.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I mean, it's nearly the cost of a PS5 digital in price difference. Not everyone has a few extra hundred to spare.

I definitely agree LG OLEDs are better. I own a 65" C9 and a 55" B8 myself. But I think these Vizio's are nice deals at a $1500 price point. They're very comparable to LG's BX line (but much cheaper).

Bold is true, but if you don't have a few extra hundred to spare, getting a $1500 TV may not be a good idea

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
One more bit of devil's advocacy for the x900h: the interface is amazing.

I literally walk into my tv room and say "Hey Google, turn on the TV" and my Sony, the soundbar, and the PlayStation all kick on.

I've read mixed things about webos on the LG sets being as fully featured. Android TVs are pretty stellar.

if you really want to, you can replicate that stuff while using an LG OLED. I can do all of what you said with my existing TV, including the Android TV stuff and that's 12 years old now. So I wouldn't get totally held up on that aspect.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bold is true, but if you don't have a few extra hundred to spare, getting a $1500 TV may not be a good idea
People have budgets that they work around. They save money for a long time, and calculate that they have X number of dollars available to spend for this specific item. Just because the can't / aren't interested in spending hundreds of dollars beyond their self imposed limit doesn't mean it's a bad idea for them to buy something they've saved for and want.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
if you really want to, you can replicate that stuff while using an LG OLED. I can do all of what you said with my existing TV, including the Android TV stuff and that's 12 years old now. So I wouldn't get totally held up on that aspect.

Yeah? That's good to hear. I was blown away by the x900h's interface after coming off my 4 year old Samsung KS8000.

YouTube Music as an Android TV app is convenient, but the ability to shout at my Google home to play music on my TV and then turn the picture off while the x900h + soundbar keep going is some Jetsons-tier-shit to me, still.

I'm expecting the LG webos to be better than the middling Samsung OS, but not quite as fully-featured as fast as the Android TV front-end... but maybe I just need to go do an in-store demo today. I have until the end of tomorrow to return my x900h to Best Buy without any restocking fees... and then I'd pay an extra $900 for the 65" LG or $400 for the 55" LG.

No offense to the Vizio, btw! I'm just unsure if that is going to give me what I want for 4-5 years.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
I almost grabbed this when I saw the price this morning, but the number of Xbox/gaming related issues in reviews led me back to LG and I grabbed the CX, total price after IL taxes ($2030.50)

Shado

Oct 26, 2017

I will play the opposite. x900 is more bang for your buck right now vs an LG CX. Oled still has the burn in issue and premium costs attached to it. Don't fall for the fomo.

Maybe next year microLed tvs will finally meet the oled level of picture quality and you can buy them in 2 years for a cheaper price.

Think about it. Premium price and always having to take care of the tv is a pain if you buy an oled.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah? That's good to hear. I was blown away by the x900h's interface after coming off my 4 year old Samsung KS8000.

YouTube Music as an Android TV app is convenient, but the ability to shout at my Google home to play music on my TV and then turn the picture off while the x900h + soundbar keep going is some Jetsons-tier-shit to me, still.

I'm expecting the LG webos to be better than the middling Samsung OS, but not quite as fully-featured as fast as the Android TV front-end... but maybe I just need to go do an in-store demo today. I have until the end of tomorrow to return my x900h to Best Buy without any restocking fees... and then I'd pay an extra $900 for the 65" LG or $400 for the 55" LG.

No offense to the Vizio, btw! I'm just unsure if that is going to give me what I want for 4-5 years.

Oh god, the Samsung interface is awful. For me personally, I strive to avoid TV UIs as much as possible. I want my TV to be a display and let other things be the point of interface for handling things. But to do so comes at a cost. It sounds like the X900H has a built in microphone so that means you'll have to get a Google Home Mini or a Echo Dot to replace that if you don't have one already. Fortunately, they practically give those away. It's easy to obtain them for like $20 and hell I know Google has given them away for free too.

For the Android TV stuff, you simply need to get a dedicated box and I will say that's probably a better way to go because it'll get the updates more frequently and faster. Decoupling that stuff from the TV means it'll be more up to date in the long run because a lot of the time you can be dependent on the TV manufacture being the bottleneck for support and at some point they drop support. That's why I like to keep my TV as just a display and put that on to something else. Google's own version is like $50 and I bet there will be sales on that too bringing that down.

That should get you most of what you need but if you want to take it one step further, you can add in a Logitech Harmony Hub to help with devices that are controlled by IR which will then interface with the Google Home Mini or the Echo Dot with voice commands so you can control those too. But that's going beyond what your current TV does probably.

So ya there are ways to add that stuff to any TV. Of course being built in and integrated is easier, but it's not something to be a make or break point since you can do it yourself too.

Maybe next year microLed tvs will finally meet the oled level of picture quality and you can buy them in 2 years for a cheaper price.

Think about it. Premium price and always having to take care of the tv is a pain if you buy an oled.

Micro LED TVs are several years away. They are potentially the next big thing but they aren't anywhere close to being viable soon.

I'd argue the premium price means you won't upgrade as frequently because there will be less reason to do so on a sooner basis and it'll be cheaper than having to buy two TVs over the same period of time that you'll own just one better TV.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I really wouldn't recommend Vizio, at least not for a high-end TV. Their quality control isn't great and their software has issues. If you're gonna spend $1500 on a TV, get something from Sony, Samsung or LG.
I don't own this particular set but I've never had a problem with other Vizio TVs in terms of quality control. I'm sure some people occasionally get duds but they're not a terrible brand, IMO.

Plus, I think the AVS forum is a better source of info than a single Best Buy review. If the newer Vizios had real problems they would not stay quiet about it.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue the premium price means you won't upgrade as frequently because there will be less reason to do so on a sooner basis and it'll be cheaper than having to buy two TVs over the same period of time that you'll own just one better TV.

So, about not upgrading frequently when you get an oled seems to be suspect to me, with how short lived oleds seem to be. More like people with oled tvs need to upgrade, as the potential to have a burn in keeps going up, the longer you use it. It feels like a question of when rather than if based on all the things I have seen about them.

And also fyi, the new gen with hdr and more bright and colorful games seems to be just a recipe for such a thing to happen. Just my pessimistic take on it.

Last edited: