• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I've read a hundred chapters in a day and felt like a waste of sperm afterwards

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah I'm subbing to this. I buyphysical for manga I love like Assassination Classroom and MHA, but being able to keep up with MHA for free is a steal so I gotta throw down that 2 dollars to support it.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
oh man I somehow missed this. I liked the idea of having the magazine every weeks but this seems like a pretty good deal so I can't be too mad at it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully their back catalog grows slowly. 10,000+ sounds like a lot till you realise One Piece itself is about 1000 of those.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Actually it turns out chapters will come out a day earlier now.

Instead of "Monday morning because in Japan it comes on Monday", now they literally come out when it's Monday in Japan, aka Sunday afternoon/evening in North America. Honestly that's enough for me to give up on leaks for good, since I only have to wait a little bit, rather than read them on Fridays and then re-read on Monday.

They do have email notifications and I think there might be push notifications as well (I turned those off for most apps so I'm not sure). But right now the magazine always releases at the exact same time (Monday 11am ET) so there'll most likely be a set time for this to that you can get used to.

Yeah i did enable push notification on the app. But I don't think I was ever notified. I don't get notifications on the new DBS chapters.

Oct 25, 2017
More series will be simulpubbed in this new iteration of jump.

DuETykKWoAAiVLb.jpg

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a stack of old Jumps that are still sealed in the bag lol from when I just didnt have time to read. I always kind of wanted to catch up on everything in there but I saw digital jump didnt work that way. But now this new thing, perfect.

I should probably dig out the yugioh cards from those old ass issues though..

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Is the English Digital version an actual magazine like the physical monthly one that used to exist ages ago or is it just a collection of chapters?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yooooooo Haikyu!, Jujutsu, Yaina, Act-Age!!!
Man this just gets better and better.
Also, Sunday noon PT release for SJ manga confirmed, which is awesome.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
This is great, glad they simulpubbing everything!
Though one thing I am unclear about is if they will have the previous chapters of the new series they are adding.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the English Digital version an actual magazine like the physical monthly one that used to exist ages ago or is it just a collection of chapters?
the current version is a magazine that is digital, full with ads for manga, author comments, interviews, and cosplay photos. The new version, will just be like any comic or book app where you just click a chapter in a series.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is great, glad they simulpubbing everything!
Though one thing I am unclear about is if they will have the previous chapters of the new series they are adding.
I would be very surprised if they didn't. For the new weekly series, it'll probably be like when Vigilantes was added to the app where we get frequent translated chapters until we are caught up with Japan at which point we switch to the normal schedule (in Vigilantes case, new chapters came weekly until up to date then it followed the normal 2 week schedule). A similar thing happened in the magazine itself when actual new series were added eons a year and a half ago with Dr. Stone/We Never Learn where there were two chapters every issue until they caught up.

I think either it'll be like that or all the chapters will be added at once but sooner or later they'll all be there.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be a dumb question, but is there a way to read this on a Windows tablet?
Their app is just for IOS / Android.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The schedule at the back of today's volumes still says the main Jump series are releasing on Monday so I guess no Sunday release?

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I would be very surprised if they didn't. For the new weekly series, it'll probably be like when Vigilantes was added to the app where we get frequent translated chapters until we are caught up with Japan at which point we switch to the normal schedule (in Vigilantes case, new chapters came weekly until up to date then it followed the normal 2 week schedule). A similar thing happened in the magazine itself when actual new series were added eons a year and a half ago with Dr. Stone/We Never Learn where there were two chapters every issue until they caught up.

I think either it'll be like that or all the chapters will be added at once but sooner or later they'll all be there.
Forgot they did that for the other series, hopefully, they'll have for the new ones.

Might be a dumb question, but is there a way to read this on a Windows tablet?
Their app is just for IOS / Android.
Don't know if they'll have a Windows app, but it might be possible to read through a browser on your tablet.

The schedule at the back of today's volumes still says the main Jump series are releasing on Monday so I guess no Sunday release?
Next weeks will be on Monday for the launch but after that it will be Sunday noon pst.

Oct 25, 2017
sunday probably wont happen until after this usual seasonal, delayed jump release dates in jpn, notice that on dec 21 its a friday release not sunday for the usual pre christmas double issue. I think there is going to be one more friday issue in january too before its back to normal.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Got my magazine and there's more info inside

More info:
https://imgur.com/a/qqqv9mw

Uploading images to resetera seems to be broken and it tells me to contact administrator. Anyways, looks like we'll be getting official translations "22 hours earlier" and they'll now release Noon PST. NICE

Oct 25, 2017
does anyone know what the breadth of the older stuff will entail? will it have DB/Jojo/etc?
I think the safe bet is that if it is in the Shonen Jump App currently than it is most likely going to be in the Digital Vault of older stuff. Dragon Ball should be in, but who knows if that includes the colored version. JJBA should be in some capacity as well.

Ultimately we wont truly know until monday.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The only thing I was gonna miss with the new format change would be the front cover of the magazine, which I usually prefer to the one for the Japanese magazine due to it being less busy, but turns out we'll still be getting those.
It doesn't make as much practical sense due to there not being an actual magazine anymore, but I'm not complaining lol.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a big step in manga distribution. Right move considering how easy it is to read all the manga for free right now.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just heard about this. Massive news.

If this doesn't force the dinosaurs of DC and Marvel to evolve, nothing will. Manga readers are younger, more diverse, and of all genders. This will hurt physical sales, I'm assuming.

It doesn't help though that the BW colouring of Manga and it's page ratio makes it far more pleasant to read digitally than a 'busy' traditional western full colour with a larger page size.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just heard about this. Massive news.

If this doesn't force the dinosaurs of DC and Marvel to evolve, nothing will. Manga readers are younger, more diverse, and of all genders. This will hurt physical sales, I'm assuming.

It doesn't help though that the BW colouring of Manga and it's page ratio makes it far more pleasant to read digitally than a 'busy' traditional western full colour with a larger page size.

Shonen Jump evolving is good news, but this is a flaming hot take.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shonen Jump evolving is good news, but this is a flaming hot take.

Nuclear even

but it's true.

Manga, a graphic form native to Japan, is a particularly strong area of growth for both kids and adults. Manga is skewing the youngest of all of the comics and graphic novels categories, with 76 percent of the purchasing being done by those ages 13-29. Manga buyers are also the most diverse group of buyers of comics and graphic novels; they are 20 percent less likely to be white than the overall population of comics and graphic novels buyers.

"There is a whole new audience emerging for comics and graphic novels; these readers are younger, they are more diverse, and they are getting their books from a much wider range of channels than we typically think of for comics," said Kristen McLean, industry analyst for NPD Books. "This is also a very interesting category when it comes to crossover and media tie-ins from across entertainment, including film, toys, and gaming. We have seen this category grow for a few years now, and we have no reason to think it's just a flash in the pan."

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/...-growth-categories-in-publishing-reports-npd/

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
So let me get this straight.
  • For all ongoing series, the last 3 chapters will be ad-supported and free to read.
  • For $2/mo, I can read every English SJ manga ever released at 100ch/day. (Ads? No ads?)
  • For older releases, I will have access to all the magazine content (editorials, author notes, etc.), but going forward, it will just be straight manga chapters.