• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the only thing I can think of. Which will be unfortunate if so.
We will truly see when there are new chapters to translate. Either they add it to the vault then or the chapters just disappear after the free period is done until they get released in volumes. Or they just stop translating it which is less likely.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
We will truly see when there are new chapters to translate. Either they add it to the vault then or the chapters just disappear after the free period is done until they get released in volumes. Or they just stop translating it which is less likely.
They may also make the current arc free to read a couple weeks before the return, like they did this past time.

Though, again, that makes me curious about the potential rights issue.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
My suggestion for everyone who wants something short and fun- read School Judgement (Gakkyu Hotei). The art is by Obata (Death Note), and its about an elementary school judicial system, complete with judges, lawyers, etc. Fun read!

Oooh, def gonna check that out, thanks!

Yea it really picks up once the main character starts finding other people. Since outside of the main character himself. All of the people he hangs out with for the first dozen chapters are pretty boring. Have fun reading Bakuman though! remember liking it quite a bit when it was coming out weekly. Still think the pot shots it would take at some WSJ series and editors is hysterical.

Ayy if you decide to give One Piece a whirl like you want to. Feel free to stop by the One Piece OT. We are always happy to read new comers impressions haha.

Dr. Stone has really good character art but some lacking environmental art. Though I can't emphasis how good the character art is at times. It's also got some great landscape pages that really help set the tone of the comic and will leave you seriously impressed.

So I just binged 50 chapters of Dr. Stone (which... wasn't what I planned to do today, but I should have seen it coming) and we're going to have to sorta disagree about this, because every male character looks really cool, but...

every woman looks like a goldfish

it's like their ability to draw eyes normally vanishes as soon as they think about the character's gender

Several pages are missing in chapters 1 & 2 of One Piece. Some of the best panels in fact. Rather unfortunate, I wonder what the problem is.

As I wrote this I went back to check just in case and they were there! Server must be catching up since it's rolling out. The missing pages literally just had red text that read "Missing Image." I guess we have to give it some time.

Yeah, it's been kinda spotty with displaying things at times. But this is better than Crunchyroll, where I think some pages have been 404s for a year or more now...? It literally made me drop some series I was binging while being kinda w/e on, since I was too lazy to go to the website... but I should change that too, maybe.

I just wish it like... tracked what chapters you've read, since that's very basic but important functionality? And it's really iffy about letting you "turn the page" to the next chapter, and advertises the volume when you do so. Sometimes it shows the thing about the next chapter at the top and sometimes it doesn't, even if you downloaded it.

Still, works surprisingly well other than that and how it sometimes doesn't load all the chapters, but that's probably just due to the servers being hit hard today.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Text: Q: No Hunter x Hunter in the digital vault???? No One-Punch Man????

A: There are a couple Shonen Jump series that Viz sells digitally that aren't in the vault, but we're working on it and hope to add those eventually!

Oct 25, 2017
Shame about the Togashi stuff, but I'm sure it'll show up soon.

I've been meaning to read Dr. Slump, so I'll start there.

I would recommend Psyren to anyone that hasn't read it. I'm still mad that series didn't get an anime

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just wish it like... tracked what chapters you've read, since that's very basic but important functionality?
Yeah this is my biggest criticism so far. The only workaround I can think of is only downloading what you're about to read so if you have to put it down and come back later you know what's next, which... isn't really ideal.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good stuff here. A few recommendations of relatively under-the-radar stuff I've enjoyed:

Barrage - This one was cut super, super short, but it's an earlier work from the creator of MHA (when that one started I was like - oh, it's the guy from Barrage!). Solid art and interesting characters. It's kind of a prince-and-the-pauper story in a fantasy world.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman - If you ever need evidence that Toriyama is still a top-notch cartoonist, read Jaco. Short, cute, and funny.

Cross Manage - Another one that died kind of young. A slice-of-life style sports manga about the manager of a girl's lacrosse team - he lost his passion for sports after an injury in middle school, but the team captain's love of lacrosse inspires him. But she's just absolutely, incredibly awful at the game. It's really top notch, one of my favorite manga of the past few years. And the art is good (with really diverse body types in its female designs which I always appreciate).

School Judgement - Kind of Phoenix Wright in a middle school, with clever writing and quality art (from Takeshi Obata). Warning that it has... weirdly suggestive designs for like 5th graders.

Sand Land - A punk kid devil in a search to find water in a post-apocalyptic desert dystopia from Akira Toriyama. His best work, as far as I'm concerned.

Astra Lost in Space - In the future, a bunch of teenagers on a field trip to space are sucked through a black hole and end up on a derelict spaceship halfway across the universe, trying to make their way home. Strong characters and the plot gets WILD, with lots of high-concept worldbuilding.

Emperor and I - A little girl with a pet emperor penguin (that she finds living in her freezer one morning). Super cute and funny, I was heartbroken when it ended.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

Text: Q: No Hunter x Hunter in the digital vault???? No One-Punch Man????

A: There are a couple Shonen Jump series that Viz sells digitally that aren't in the vault, but we're working on it and hope to add those eventually!

Huh.

Well, good to hear, but strange they didn't have HxH ready.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
For an oldie but a goodie, I recall loving Pretty Face when that came out! Also, pleased to find a number of series that I want to read in there... though I'll totally burn through their catalogue in the 4 months I currently have (I've read a LOT of Jump stuff already.)

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, still needs basic functionality like tracking of progress but for the pricue I'll deal with it.

Marvel Unlimited slowly improved itself. Hope this can do the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully they've finally ditched the old Flash-based reader. The site still needs work to catch up with pirate sites in terms of usability, but it's a start. The image quality could also be better. But at $2 a month it's still an amazing value.

Time to catch up on One Piece, I got 200+ chapters behind somehow.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Just subbed. Oh man I'm gonna have so much to read.

Just tried explaining the value to one of my friends and he goes "my app has them all too". Some people just don't get the idea of supporting. He'll then complain when something he likes gets cancelled or something as usual.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if Golden Kamuy is on the app/digital vault, or if they will be adding it?

Going to sign up for the trial tomorrow probably, just curious in the mean time.

OP
OP
Bigkrev

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good stuff here. A few recommendations of relatively under-the-radar stuff I've enjoyed:

Cross Manage - Another one that died kind of young. A slice-of-life style sports manga about the manager of a girl's lacrosse team - he lost his passion for sports after an injury in middle school, but the team captain's love of lacrosse inspires him. But she's just absolutely, incredibly awful at the game. It's really top notch, one of my favorite manga of the past few years. And the art is good (with really diverse body types in its female designs which I always appreciate).

Oh shit, completely forgot about this. My current favorite ongoing series is Blue Flag, by this same creator. I'm going to check this out now

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Oooh, def gonna check that out, thanks!

So I just binged 50 chapters of Dr. Stone (which... wasn't what I planned to do today, but I should have seen it coming) and we're going to have to sorta disagree about this, because every male character looks really cool, but...

every woman looks like a goldfish

it's like their ability to draw eyes normally vanishes as soon as they think about the character's gender
Oh yea should have specified that for character designs it's males only. every girl in that comic looks like a bad porcelain doll dressed by a horny 13 year old boy.

Last edited:

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
Anyone know if Golden Kamuy is on the app/digital vault, or if they will be adding it?

Going to sign up for the trial tomorrow probably, just curious in the mean time.
Golden Kamuy is a part of Viz's Signature line, which is where the majority of Viz's Seinen licenses go, which is what Kamuy is as it runs in Young Jump. At the moment the vault only extends to stuff from Shonen magazines that fall into Viz's Weeekly Shounen Jump and Jump Advanced brands, though I imagine if this does well, Viz will open up the rest of their library eventually to their other licenses.

In other words...No it won't be added, unless this they decide to expand further.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda confused, I immediately subbed but have never used their site before, it looks like I'm still just viewing the free site, not sure why it hasn't changed.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I'm kinda confused, I immediately subbed but have never used their site before, it looks like I'm still just viewing the free site, not sure why it hasn't changed.

I think it's just the servers getting stressed. Occasionally I would end up not getting logged in due to stuff. I imagine it'll improve over the next few days.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just the servers getting stressed. Occasionally I would end up not getting logged in due to stuff. I imagine it'll improve over the next few days.
Hmm have you made sure to go to the shonen jump section of the viz site? That's where I'm at to view the manga vault.

Hmmm...maybe, this is what it looks like (not seen in picture is that I'm logged in on top)
3bGLLve.jpg

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, hope they update the app for my Fire before too long. That's what I like to read on, but even though I'm logged in, I can't see any of the stuff you should as free if you're subscribed (though I just read the week's new stuff that carried on from the magazine format.) Also hoping they make adding the new stuff for the week at least a bit easier, as it's a kind of a pain.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The better question is why not just put the whole series on the app? It's not like they didn't translate it.

Also the new series hell warden is pretty solid worth checking out

Are you sure they translated the whole series? Usually when they do a jump start it was just the first three chapters.

Yaiba I can understand having a gap, since I don't think they were translating chapters regularly. But weren't they always translating the latest chapters of Haikyu on the website?

Also, the only way I can tell if there are free chapters is if they list the number of chapters next to the number of volumes, right? For me the Viz app is super slow, and all the extra non shonen jump manga there isn't part of the sub so it's just more stuff to scroll through, unless I'm missing some kind of filter.

And now the sorting at the chapter level is random.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
But weren't they always translating the latest chapters of Haikyu on the website?
there was always a gap as HQ was adding a volume worth of chapters monthly as they released the volumes, it was until recent that they reached their newest volume, but their newest was still 70chps behind JPN. So there is still that gap between the simulpub chapter and the newest volume chapter.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
So I just read everything Viz has put out for 7th Garden. It's not very good and I feel like it is clear that when the next volume drops it'll be a warp on it. Shit just accelerates to the end game hard in the latest volume. Oh if anyone wants to read this save yourself some time and instead
just watch the Matrix. You get less wifu bs and great action scenes. Oh and just think of the quote "I think therefore I am" while watching it. Congrats I have given you a better story then 7th Garden.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
there was always a gap as HQ was adding a volume worth of chapters monthly as they released the volumes, it was until recent that they reached their newest volume, but their newest was still 70chps behind JPN. So there is still that gap between the simulpub chapter and the newest volume chapter.

Ah, I don't read Haikyu so I didn't realize they were still behind. That makes sense, thanks for the info!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really impressed. However, the iOS App kept crashing for some reason, maybe server overloads? The web based version on my PC is working fine. Hopefully, the iOS app gets more stable and they add a way to track your reading progress ASAP because I usually like to read multiple series instead of just focusing on a single one until I'm caught up.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone tried signing up with a vpn? I am not one of the eligible countries but wondered if it is possible to use the services from outside. Fake address and all.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried signing up with a vpn? I am not one of the eligible countries but wondered if it is possible to use the services from outside. Fake address and all.

At least for ios you only need a us account and can access the app.

Very excited by this news on a matter of principle, but, and I don't want to disrespect anyone, really let down by the selection and the shonen orientation. Yeah I know, surprising considering we are talking about SJ...
I think if Young Jump was added I would really sing another song.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
To read anything right now, just go to the series in question. If you aren't a member it should ask you to unlock any given chapter, but if you are, they'll be green and unlocked.

Definitely seems like a lot of focus went into getting the app running, because the website does feel a bit clunky by comparison. That said, still just nice to have so much readily accessible.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I just downloaded some free chapters on my 2018 iPad, but image compression wrecks the quality of the manga. Does the subscription offer higher quality images?

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
At least for ios you only need a us account and can access the app.

Very excited by this news on a matter of principle, but, and I don't want to disrespect anyone, really let down by the selection and the shonen orientation. Yeah I know, surprising considering we are talking about SJ...

I will look into it then. Thanks for the response.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
So how do i or when will i be able to access the Nisekoi content with my subscription? Only one volume appears to be free to download.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
So to access the content on mobile you need the Shonen Jump App. Not the Viz app. Only the chapters are free. Not the volumes.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
The subscription service and the free chapters are region blocked on the website (why is this still a thing) but if you have a US Apple/Google Play account you can download the app and read the free chapters at least.

I imagine if you have a payment method that matches the supported country, the subscription service would work on the app as well, but I can't say for sure.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The subscription service and the free chapters are region blocked on the website (why is this still a thing) but if you have a US Apple/Google Play account you can download the app and read the free chapters at least.

I imagine if you have a payment method that matches the supported country, the subscription service would work on the app as well, but I can't say for sure.
So maybe if you have someone buy it for you and then download the apk on Android it could work? Not sure it's worth the effort.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017

I mean it is two dollars a month. I would absolutely pay 10 plus for a subscription service of all Viz's titles though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Are you sure they translated the whole series? Usually when they do a jump start it was just the first three chapters.

Yaiba I can understand having a gap, since I don't think they were translating chapters regularly. But weren't they always translating the latest chapters of Haikyu on the website?

Also, the only way I can tell if there are free chapters is if they list the number of chapters next to the number of volumes, right? For me the Viz app is super slow, and all the extra non shonen jump manga there isn't part of the sub so it's just more stuff to scroll through, unless I'm missing some kind of filter.

And now the sorting at the chapter level is random.

They did fully translate it and love rush. Both were picked up because Jump had just lost IIRC Bleach, Toriko, and Nisekoi within a short window of time. Both red sprite and love rush got shit canned early but Viz has digital copies of the whole series somewhere.