• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
His appearance is super unique and stands out amongst all other FF characters IMO

XoOk6xi.png

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
He is a black mage with huge similarities with the sprites of this class since final fantasy 1.
I wouldn't call it unique.

Iconic? Sure I think Black Mage sprite is iconic for the series.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I have been replaying FF9 recently, especially since I tested for Covid recently (but asymptomatic). Vivi's story is up there, man. His backstory is a tearjerker and he is one of the best characters in Final Fantasy for sure.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
What? Uh, no. That's two counts of no, imo. I think the Black Mage design itself is iconic, and Vivi benefited greatly by being a callback and having a decent subplot in FFIX.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I briefly played 9 as a kid during a rental and their design has stayed with me. Definition of iconic.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's literally a black mage.

His character arc is something, for sure, but he is most definitely not unique or iconic in any way.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
The only old FF game that perseveres is FFVII these days with a big boost from the remake. Every party character in that game is more iconic than Vivi. Vivi is cool but the most iconic? I'd put generic black mage before Vivi.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Almost all main casts of FF9 are memorable. But it's especially hard to forget Steiner with the sound of his armor when he moves and this fitting music. Like, how many FF characters have their own theme?

latest

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I remember back when FF IX was newish I was confused why there was a black mage running around again and thought the game must have a class system.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I imagine a lot of people were introduced to the Black Mage design through Vivi so yeah, Iconic.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Like, how many FF characters have their own theme?
like... 50?

some fairly forgettable characters even basically have two of them

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy X - Jecht Battle Theme - Otherworld (Lyrics)

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, t...

:P

but just from ff7

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 7 - Cloud's Theme

this is the music from Final Fantasy 7 for cloud if you want the song leave me your email address and/or leave me a message on my page(RATE AND COMMENT PLEASE)
www.youtube.com

FF7 Remake Jukebox --- Barret's theme

FF7 Remake Jukebox #4 --- Barret's theme

- YouTube

www.youtube.com

Cait Sith's Theme

Provided to YouTube by SoundropCait Sith's Theme · Sean SchafianskiFinal Fantasy VII: Remastered Tracks Vol. 1℗ 2016 Joypad RecordsReleased on: 2013-04-30Com...

- YouTube

and sort of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7j29dLHPXI

actually I pulled up a track listing https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:_Original_Soundtrack and it seems the video labeled as cloud's theme is not officially called that... so strike that one but still :P (though maybe it was called that in the remake as that's from the remake I believe)

Nov 12, 2017
This is freaky was literally thinking about Vivi a few hours ago when I saw chocobo racing and had fond memories of his design and FFIX in general now we're here :)

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
it used to be a standard feature

did they stop doing that? I haven't played a final fantasy game in 15 years

like... 50?

some fairly forgettable characters even basically have two of them

- YouTube

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy X - Jecht Battle Theme - Otherworld (Lyrics)

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, t...

:P

but just from ff7

- YouTube

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 7 - Cloud's Theme

this is the music from Final Fantasy 7 for cloud if you want the song leave me your email address and/or leave me a message on my page(RATE AND COMMENT PLEASE)
www.youtube.com

FF7 Remake Jukebox --- Barret's theme

FF7 Remake Jukebox #4 --- Barret's theme

- YouTube

www.youtube.com

Cait Sith's Theme

Provided to YouTube by SoundropCait Sith's Theme · Sean SchafianskiFinal Fantasy VII: Remastered Tracks Vol. 1℗ 2016 Joypad RecordsReleased on: 2013-04-30Com...

- YouTube

and sort of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7j29dLHPXI

actually I pulled up a track listing https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII:_Original_Soundtrack and it seems the video labeled as cloud's theme is not officially called that... so strike that one but still :P (though maybe it was called that in the remake as that's from the remake I believe)
Welp, the more you know lol

I finished FF7 but somehow the only themes I remember are Aerith's and Red XIII's.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, the more you know lol

I finished FF7 but somehow the only themes I remember are Aerith's and Red XIII's.
Oh that's totally fair a lot of them are forgetable.
I also only included the ones that were strictly labeled theme.
like this is very much vincent's theme
www.youtube.com

Vincent Valentine's Theme (The Nightmare Begins)

Vincent Valentines ThemeEnjoy

but it's not titled that way

and you could argue

- YouTube

is sephiroth's theme ect

and I haven't a clue where

- YouTube

jenova lies in terms of being a theme song.

that being said Steiner is quite memberable as the FF universe just doesn't have that many knight types lol.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Black Mage is the most unique/iconic FF characters. This particular Black Mage just has a name.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Black Mage is just Orko. He was never unique.

In a sea of characters that don't stand out, he's one of the more unique. A more realized character based on the classic archetype (and obviously the design and theme music is its own version).

Being kind of similar to a character from before most people were even born is uhh.... wat?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a sea of characters that don't stand out, he's one of the more unique. A more realized character based on the classic archetype (and obviously the design and theme music is its own version).

Being kind of similar to a character from before most people were even born is uhh.... wat?

Don't know what age of character has to do with anything. That a design is old isn't really a defense of the obvious copy cat that followed.

There are far more recognizable FF characters than one that looks like generic black mage.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know what age of character has to do with anything. That a design is old isn't really a defense of the obvious copy cat that followed.

There are far more recognizable FF characters than one that looks like generic black mage.

The word generic has lost all meaning. The age and frequency of a vaguely similar character is directly tied to how unique something is, like that's a given.
Orko hadn't been relevant in decades, certainly not in videogames. "but orko existed so vivi can't be iconic" isn't something I can possibly understand.

brb

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I think OP just means the general black mage look that all (okay, most) FFs have? Maybe? Just spitballing. Anyways I have to go with Gigi as most iconic and unique.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Oh that's totally fair a lot of them are forgetable.
I also only included the ones that were strictly labeled theme.
like this is very much vincent's theme
www.youtube.com

Vincent Valentine's Theme (The Nightmare Begins)

Vincent Valentines ThemeEnjoy

but it's not titled that way

and you could argue

- YouTube

is sephiroth's theme ect

and I haven't a clue where

- YouTube

jenova lies in terms of being a theme song.

that being said Steiner is quite memberable as the FF universe just doesn't have that many knight types lol.
Yeah, some characters' themes just don't mention their name, like Roses of May for Beatrix in FF9.

I really need to replay FF9 again lol