• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
What is the current state of emulators for vita like snes, genesis, ps1, neogeo etc? Are the good enough to even bother hacking the vita?
They're worth it, but they're not all that great.

Genesis is perfectly fine, but is just not good enough for Virtua Racing. PS1 can be played in Retroarch or under PSP/Adrenaline mode without issue. From memory, PS1 can even be upscaled 2x in Retroarch with some hacks. SNES can vary (but I haven't played a lot of SNES stuff), Neo-Geo I think ran okay and GBA really isn't worth it.

It's still totally worth hacking, though. It's easy and free and you have nothing to lose. But if you want it permanent, you'll need some variation of the SD2Vita.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
finally got this working after 2 hours of messing about, most of which was spent trying to get the Vita content manager and qcma on my PC to talk to each other :/

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Umm... so I did the following:
1) Used Trinity exploit to install vitashell
2) Installed Modoru using Vitashell
3) Installed 3.65 FW using Modoru

Now I'm on 3.65 FW with VitaShell and Modoru apps that don't work. And HENKaku is gone too. So what do I do now? Go forward with steps to jailbreak 3.65?

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the advantage of 3.60 over 3.65? Can I still have a permanent jailbreak on 3.65 and play my emulators without needing to sign into psn?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
They're worth it, but they're not all that great.

Genesis is perfectly fine, but is just not good enough for Virtua Racing. PS1 can be played in Retroarch or under PSP/Adrenaline mode without issue. From memory, PS1 can even be upscaled 2x in Retroarch with some hacks. SNES can vary (but I haven't played a lot of SNES stuff), Neo-Geo I think ran okay and GBA really isn't worth it.

It's still totally worth hacking, though. It's easy and free and you have nothing to lose. But if you want it permanent, you'll need some variation of the SD2Vita.
Can a USB stick be used instead of an SD2Vita for a permanent hack?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, if only Sony would provide some certainty about Vita/PSP/PS1 game downloads. But I guess it's mainly up to publishers whether a game gets pulled from the store.

Gotta read some more about about PSN spoofing works before I do this.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Really close to installing this, especially after reading more about the Full RGB thing for my Slim. Though I have few questions I was hoping someone could answer:

1. After downgrading my Vita to 3.65 using this method, can I continue to use the system as usual, i.e. only enabling h-encore to buy and download games from PSN? Is there anything I won't be able to do normally anymore? I read something in Near needs to be disabled or it'll ping Sony's servers too often and result in IP ban.
2. Where I can find out more about game (in)compatibility and firmware versions and the workaround?
3. Can I sync trophies as usual if I just don't enable h-encore after a reboot?
4. Is there any risk of losing the data on my system in the process of installing these exploits?
5. Can I delete these bubbles related to the exploits from my home screen and upgrade to the latest firmware without issue if I ever decide to do that?

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Really close to installing this, especially after reading more about the Full RGB thing for my Slim. Though I have few questions I was hoping someone could answer:

1. After downgrading my Vita to 3.65 using this method, can I continue to use the system as usual, i.e. only enabling h-encore to buy and download games from PSN? Is there anything I won't be able to do normally anymore? I read something in Near needs to be disabled or it'll ping Sony's servers too often and result in IP ban.
2. Where I can find out more about game (in)compatibility and firmware versions and the workaround?
3. Can I sync trophies as usual if I just don't enable h-encore after a reboot?
4. Is there any risk of losing the data on my system in the process of installing these exploits?
5. Can I delete these bubbles related to the exploits from my home screen and upgrade to the latest firmware without issue if I ever decide to do that?

Full RBG?

logash

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought and setup a vita2sd card and I think I got it working because when I check the space in Vita shell I see 119GB of available space but when I use it as a USB drive I still only see my 4 GB memory card with only 700mb left on it. Anybody know if this is normal or if I need to do anything so my PC recognizes the more space?

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought and setup a vita2sd card and I think I got it working because when I check the space in Vita shell I see 119GB of available space but when I use it as a USB drive I still only see my 4 GB memory card with only 700mb left on it. Anybody know if this is normal or if I need to do anything so my PC recognizes the more space?
Do you mean when you're using VitaShell? In VitaShell, press start and choose sd2vita as the USB device setting.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

Did you format the as card according to the Sd2vita instructions?

Oct 27, 2017
So guys, I have been using Enso after downgrading from 3.68 CFW and now I can't play games that require higher Firmware that I could use before downgrading. I have looked everywhere to find something that could allow me to play them but I can't find anything.

Anybody know what I can do? I want to replay Bloodstained before the main game comes out.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
So guys, I have been using Enso after downgrading from 3.68 CFW and now I can't play games that require higher Firmware that I could use before downgrading. I have looked everywhere to find something that could allow me to play them but I can't find anything.

Anybody know what I can do? I want to replay Bloodstained before the main game comes out.

If you had followed the guide, you should've installed reF00D, which handles that.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019

Remember to set your Windows Folder Explorer settings to show System Files, otherwise Windows Explorer won't show you the whole drive.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the time to try to figure all this stuff out with my workload these days, but I'm curious if this is a better method to follow over using the original Henkaku hack? I've kept my Vita on FW 3.60 ever since that came out (ironically it killed my previously frequent use of the system), but have never found the time to actually install it. I'm worried that if I don't use this method I might be missing out on features I couldn't get by using Henkaku when I eventually have the time, and even besides that Henkaku's website, instructions and other resources might die out before I get around to this.

So basically is there anything this does that Henkaku can't? Or are they both equal entry points into hacking the Vita? Because I'm trying to future proof it before the servers get knocked off forever.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Any suggestions for how to dump games you own so you can load them on a SD2Vita? I have a ton of games I don't want to pay for digitally and all the info I can find is from 2016 and doesn't appear valid.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

Here is what I followed, worked perfectly for me!

Quick question. If you're on 3.70, and then you do the trinity exploit and install henkaku, should you still down grade or just stay on 3.70? Anyone know?

And if we do downgrade, what firmware should we downgrade to? 3.60 or 3.65?
Technically against the forum's rules to talk about, IIRC.

You sure? They don't mind us talking about hacks and this is part of it. I'm talking about being able to put the game cards I own into my own system so I can dump them on a memory card, not asking for download rom sites. I'll reach out to a mod anyway.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure as long as you have the basic "kit" (PSP software, stay on 3.70) then you should be okay. When Sony update, that's when it *might* kill remote play.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for how to dump games you own so you can load them on a SD2Vita? I have a ton of games I don't want to pay for digitally and all the info I can find is from 2016 and doesn't appear valid.
Technically against the forum's rules to talk about, IIRC.

I believe what Ronin is asking is advice for ripping their own legally obtained games, which should be fine providing no copyrighted material is needed.

Oct 30, 2017
Did they already pull these demos from the store? I can't find the loco roco one?

Edit: I can't read. Says it can be any psp/minis game.

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I just screwed up and deleted SD2Vita plug in while trying to get reF00D to work. Now there is nothing on my XMB.

I gotta see what I can do tomorrow. The thirst for Bloodstained is too real.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Went from "this is nothing I care about but interesting from a technical perspective" to 3.60 Enso after a number of scary posts about PSV memory card failure (not in this thread). I already wasn't willing to pay for more than the 16GB card the system came with, I really don't wanna hazard the aftermarket if that fails before I'm done playing games. Any confirmed legit Amazon US sellers for the SD2Vita? (I'd take non-Amazon as well, I just have gift credit there.)

Other people have said as much in the thread but with the PSN spoofing and firmware version spoofing (set to 3.70) options turned on in henkaku I had no trouble syncing trophies and checking the store. Even if I wasn't too tired to stress over it the only posts I've found so far where somebody caught a ban involved piracy, so. YOLO.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Went from "this is nothing I care about but interesting from a technical perspective" to 3.60 Enso after a number of scary posts about PSV memory card failure (not in this thread). I already wasn't willing to pay for more than the 16GB card the system came with, I really don't wanna hazard the aftermarket if that fails before I'm done playing games. Any confirmed legit Amazon US sellers for the SD2Vita? (I'd take non-Amazon as well, I just have gift credit there.)

Other people have said as much in the thread but with the PSN spoofing and firmware version spoofing (set to 3.70) options turned on in henkaku I had no trouble syncing trophies and checking the store. Even if I wasn't too tired to stress over it the only posts I've found so far where somebody caught a ban involved piracy, so. YOLO.

I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F63FPT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And they're working great so far with a sandisk SD card. Now that I can load all my old PSP games I'm thinking of upgrading to a 256gig because 128 isn't cutting it. lol

Mar 18, 2018
this is a better method to follow over using the original Henkaku hack?
AFAIK, it's not about beijg better or worse. It's just the fact that Trinity is specifically for 3.69/3.70 that can't be hacked using previous method so it's not that is better or worse. If you have older version, you can just use henkaku/hencore hack

should you still down grade or just stay on 3.70? Anyone know?
You should still downgrade and install henkaku enso as it's permanent. The hack for 3.70 is not and it's possible that it can be blocked by Sony (if they still care). Even the github page for this hack strongly advises to downgrade.
Not sure which is the best version, though. Some people say 3.60, some say 3.65.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
3.60 is the best. Some legacy homebrew/plugins haven't been updated to support 3.65, and reF00D means that in practice the two perform identically for actual games.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
For those downplaying emulation on the Vita, it can play the following pretty much perfectly:

All 8-bit consoles, [Retroarch]
All 16-bit consoles (with the exception of some taxing SNES titles that use additional mappers or the Super-FX chip), [Retroarch]
Almost all legacy handhelds, [Retroarch]
GBA [combination of Retroarch, mGBA, and PSP Emulation solutions]
PS1 [native support via Adrenaline mod]
PSP [native support via Adrenaline mod]
Home computers like the Spectrum, Amiga, C64 [standalone emulators split across Vita and PSP]
Home-brew ports of games like Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Half Life

Seriously - my console with its 128gb Micro SD (courtesy of the SD2Vita mod) holds about 20,000 games. All of which play WITHOUT issue. Combined with the Vita's own library (200+ carts and counting in my collection!) this machine could honestly sustain my gaming habits until I die.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
For those downplaying emulation on the Vita, it can play the following pretty much perfectly:

All 8-bit consoles, [Retroarch]
All 16-bit consoles (with the exception of some taxing SNES titles that use additional mappers or the Super-FX chip), [Retroarch]
Almost all legacy handhelds, [Retroarch]
GBA [combination of Retroarch, mGBA, and PSP Emulation solutions]
PS1 [native support via Adrenaline mod]
PSP [native support via Adrenaline mod]
Home computers like the Spectrum, Amiga, C64 [standalone emulators split across Vita and PSP]
Home-brew ports of games like Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Half Life

Seriously - my console with its 128gb Micro SD (courtesy of the SD2Vita mod) holds about 20,000 games. All of which play WITHOUT issue. Combined with the Vita's own library (200+ carts and counting in my collection!) this machine could honestly sustain my gaming habits until I die.

Yep. The Vita is truly the best gaming hardware for legacy titles, imo. Combine this amazing backwards compatibility with remote play/Moonlight to your PC and PS4, and you pretty much can play all titles that support a controller.

If only it could do 3DS & DS emulation, it would be sublime :P

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the disadvantages to running 3.60 Enso over sticking to the latest official firmware, if any?

Looks like I'll be able to spoof my firmware version and access PSN to continue buying/downloading all my digital content, and I can use ref00d to access games that require higher firmware. I should also still be able to use all other network features as usual, including trophies.

Anything major I'm missing out on by not being on latest official firmware anymore?

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
So what are the disadvantages to running 3.60 Enso over sticking to the latest official firmware, if any?

Looks like I'll be able to spoof my firmware version and access PSN to continue buying/downloading all my digital content, and I can use ref00d to access games that require higher firmware. I should also still be able to use all other network features as usual, including trophies.

Anything major I'm missing out on by not being on latest official firmware anymore?

No. Almost all of the firmware after 3.60 were Sony trying to block out homebrew.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me if a hacked PSTV allows for additional resolution options? I hear the PSTV has poor upscaling. I'd also be really interested in outputting PS1 titles at their native 240p resolution without the PSTV upscaling them to 480p/720p/1080i.