• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your most anticipated Vita title of 2018?

• 13 Sentinels

Votes: 125 28.3%
  • Catherine Fullbody

Votes: 160 36.2%
  • Persona 3/5 Dancing

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Muv Luv

Votes: 52 11.8%
  • Code: Realize/Hakuoki

Votes: 18 4.1%

• Total voters

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Question for people who have imported a Japanese Vita Slim (2000) model. Without hacking, can you normally access your country's PSN to download your digital purchases if you buy a Japanese Vita 2000?

For example, if I'm from North America and I import the Japanese Vita Slim, can I access the US PSN store to download my games from my US account?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Question for people who have imported a Japanese Vita Slim (2000) model. Without hacking, can you normally access your country's PSN to download your digital purchases if you buy a Japanese Vita 2000?

For example, if I'm from North America and I import the Japanese Vita Slim, can I access the US PSN store to download my games from my US account?
Yes. It'd exactly the same, just the O and X buttons are flipped in home menus and certain older games.

Joe Molotov

Oct 25, 2017
You can access the JPN PSN and US PSN on the same Vita, but you have to format your memory card (or have a second memory card) to switch IIRC.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Yes. It'd exactly the same, just the O and X buttons are flipped in home menus and certain older games.

You can access the JPN PSN and US PSN on the same Vita, but you have to format your memory card (or have a second memory card) to switch IIRC.

Thank you both. I only have the North American Vita models from launch, but I'm thinking of getting a Japanese Vita Slim model as a gift and those are the only ones really available on Ebay now.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Thank you both. I only have the North American Vita models from launch, but I'm thinking of getting a Japanese Vita Slim model as a gift and those are the only ones really available on Ebay now.

FYI I found a seller on ebay with refurbished 1000 models. Mine should be arriving tomorrow. Not sure if it's kosher to link here so I wont, but I also found a seller with new in package 16gb memory card for like $70 shipped, so I snagged that to go along with the used 8GB one just to have a backup as I think they'll get insanely pricey in the future. That seller had multiples, too.

My aforementioned refurb vita comes tomorrow by 8!!! So excited. I think I'm going to replay Xenogears on the Vita before I jump into Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive on Switch.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
FYI I found a seller on ebay with refurbished 1000 models. Mine should be arriving tomorrow. Not sure if it's kosher to link here so I wont, but I also found a seller with new in package 16gb memory card for like $70 shipped, so I snagged that to go along with the used 8GB one just to have a backup as I think they'll get insanely pricey in the future. That seller had multiples, too.

My aforementioned refurb vita comes tomorrow by 8!!! So excited. I think I'm going to replay Xenogears on the Vita before I jump into Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive on Switch.

Thanks for the heads up! I actually have a 1000 model in pristine condition, but I am keeping it for myself. I just want the slimmer, lighter 2000 for my fiance.

Congrats on getting the Vita! Is it your first time with the system? If so, what games are you getting for it other than the PS1 Classic Xenogears?

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Thanks for the heads up! I actually have a 1000 model in pristine condition, but I am keeping it for myself. I just want the slimmer, lighter 2000 for my fiance.

Congrats on getting the Vita! Is it your first time with the system? If so, what games are you getting for it other than the PS1 Classic Xenogears?

Yup, this is my first time with it.

I went on a shopping spree... I have 23 games, some of them off ebay physical, the rest are PSN. Pretty much all JRPGs.
My PS Vita Backlog

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Yup, this is my first time with it.

I went on a shopping spree... I have 23 games, some of them off ebay physical, the rest are PSN. Pretty much all JRPGs.
My PS Vita Backlog

Wow, quite the backlog there. You should also get some of the more Vita specific games that make the system special, too (e.g. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gravity Rush 1, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, LittleBig Planet Vita, Tearaway, etc.). Vita is a great way to play PS1 games since they look gorgeous on the smaller screen so that's awesome you're playing some of them this way.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Wow, quite the backlog there. You should also get some of the more Vita specific games that make the system special, too (e.g. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Gravity Rush 1, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, LittleBig Planet Vita, Tearaway, etc.). Vita is a great way to play PS1 games since they look gorgeous on the smaller screen so that's awesome you're playing some of them this way.

Im so excited to revisit all my PS1 JRPG favorites, you have no idea.

Is the resistance game on Vita worth checking out? I didn't even realize there was a Killzone game..

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Im so excited to revisit all my PS1 JRPG favorites, you have no idea.

Is the resistance game on Vita worth checking out? I didn't even realize there was a Killzone game..

Sadly, no. I am a big fan of the Resistance series, especially the first one. I think the PSP game is better than the Vita game, but the Vita game plays better due to updated technology. However, the game just isn't fulfilling, it constantly feels like everything wasn't optimized, unpolished, and just not up to the standards of Insomniac's efforts. If you take Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Bend Studios did a fantastic job living up to the Naughty Dog level of production. I would have loved to see Resistance flourish on the Vita, but I personally don't like Burning Skies because of how unpolished it is.

Now... I have a bias against Killzone as a series. First off, I know it's not important to most people, but I hate the title. I think the title pushed me away from the series for a while. However, I got into all of them later, 1-3, Shadowfall. I think the fan favorite is understandably 2, though I thought the others were decent. Since I didn't really enjoy the Killzone series (from a lore, writing, or gameplay standpoint) compared to Halo, Resistance, and a number of other FPS series... I wrote off Killzone Mercenary all of these years... until a week ago. I had this game for about 6 years, but I never played it. I finally gave it a shot and I'm totally blown away by it.

Killzone Mercenary may just be the most amazing FPS game I've played in the last decade. It's feedback from gunfire to enemies getting hit feels as polished as Bungie's Destiny series, which I find lacking in most other FPS games where enemies getting hit doesn't sound or feel like it has impact.

To make a long story short, Killzone Mercenary is just amazing. I totally wrote it off and now I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's now one of my favorite Vita titles, right up there with Persona 4 Golden, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Tearaway, Little Big Planet, Gravity Rush 1 and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC

Honestly this looks to be in mint condition. Can't play Xenogears today as the memory card hasn't come, though :( :(.

so how do I turn this puppy on? I have it on charger and ps button is lit orange but keeps blinking seemingly randomly. Nothing happening when I hit power

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Has Fata Morgana ever gone on sale on the PSN store? I've been watching to for a month or two and no sale. If it's just one of those games that never goes on sale I don't want to wait endlessly for no reason lol.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017

Honestly this looks to be in mint condition. Can't play Xenogears today as the memory card hasn't come, though :( :(.

so how do I turn this puppy on? I have it on charger and ps button is lit orange but keeps blinking seemingly randomly. Nothing happening when I hit power

You need to fully charge it or enough until it's safe to power on. The light will stay orange without blinking. Then you can hold down the power button on top to turn it on. Or wait until it fully charged and light turns blue instead of orange.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
You need to fully charge it or enough until it's safe to power on. The light will stay orange without blinking. Then you can hold down the power button on top to turn it on. Or wait until it fully charged and light turns blue instead of orange.

Kay. Whew!

Well, a few cartridge games came just now, so when it's charged I can at least check out if it works. I'm really impressed how good the condition is though, hopefully everything else checks out! It feels amazing in the hands.

Why the hell didn't the Vita catch on??

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Kay. Whew!

Well, a few cartridge games came just now, so when it's charged I can at least check out if it works. I'm really impressed how good the condition is though, hopefully everything else checks out! It feels amazing in the hands.

Why the hell didn't the Vita catch on??

Short answer is the device and accessories, in particular the memory cards, were way too expensive.

Long story, the expensive prices led to an initial low install base, which led to lower support from Sony and other developers. It's why only niche/indie developers and publishers were the only ones continuing to produce and release Vita games later in its life cycle. The other side people forget about is Sony itself (not PlayStation, but Sony as a company) was going through financial hardships and recovering at the time. They chose to focus on PS4 instead of splitting attention onto a handheld with iffy potential and a new console. I think in retrospect, they made the right call because of their focus the PS4 became a huge success and pushed Sony into much more positive gains as a whole.

Another huge point, Sony dropped the ball and didn't get Monster Hunter to continue on the Vita, which was a huge reason why the PSP continued to be successful in Japan and continued to receive development support for the PSP. Without Monster Hunter and its fanbase, the Vita struggled even more.

Whatever the case, the Vita is an astounding machine, especially for its time. I basically have every console ever made since the 1980's and I think the Vita is my personal favorite.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Yes, I can see how the memory card situation and relative lack of support killed it.

Every game, screen protector, case, the vita itself have come today...but memory card not 'til tomorrow :( So close but so far. I tried playing the carts but it says I need a memory card inserted so that's a no go.

In the mean time I got it set up and getting the protectors on, etc.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Keep us updated with your enjoyment of the system. I think the system deserves way more love than it gets now or ever got back in its hey day.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Keep us updated with your enjoyment of the system. I think the system deserves way more love than it gets now or ever got back in its hey day.

It's gonna get a ton of love from me. I just can't wait to dig in! It feels pretty good in my hands.
Oh hey, is there a way to enable cloud saves? So if I start on one memory stick and switch to the bigger one when it comes, I can pick up where I left off?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna get a ton of love from me. I just can't wait to dig in! It feels pretty good in my hands.
Oh hey, is there a way to enable cloud saves? So if I start on one memory stick and switch to the bigger one when it comes, I can pick up where I left off?
If you have PS+ yeah. Otherwise you can back it up on your PC.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I don't think so... although I think I had that trouble with Mana during my playthroughs too haha.
I tried to do that yesterday, but even if you manage to get a tie, you have to vote again.

I also think I managed to get the true ending??? Or at least the trophy said so. The only thing I can say is
excuse-me-what-the-fuck2.jpg

Like, Sho went fucking super saiyan and punched the meteorite to oblivion???

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
How is Xcom 1 on vita? Having it on handheld sounds awesome
It's ugly and laggy, but fairly playable, being turn-based. However, I didn't get super far into it, as I got the PC version from a Humble Bundle.
I believe it's a port of the Android version. If you overclock on CFW it'll be 30fps most of the time.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
It's ugly and laggy, but fairly playable, being turn-based. However, I didn't get super far into it, as I got the PC version from a Humble Bundle.
I believe it's a port of the Android version. If you overclock on CFW it'll be 30fps most of the time.

gotcha I'll prolly hold off and play it on PC. Xcom 2 on pc was one of my favorite games ever.

I love my vita folks. Playing out back by the fire pit

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
I finally bought myself an used PS Vita today and it comes with 10 games, 2 memory cards (16 and 4 gb) and a bag.

Can't wait for it to show up in the mail!

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Alright, my Vita dock/stand came! It looks happy next to big bro PS4pro and Switch cousin.

Posted a pic on my twitter but won't share here, as I noticed dust (we have 5 pets, natch) after I took pics and people here have sick setups, lol.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Alright, my Vita dock/stand came! It looks happy next to big bro PS4pro and Switch cousin.

Posted a pic on my twitter but won't share here, as I noticed dust (we have 5 pets, natch) after I took pics and people here have sick setups, lol.

That's awesome! How are you liking Xenogears on Vita? Doesn't it look glorious on the Vita screen? I think it totally gives PS1 games new life since they all look terrible on HDTVs nowadays.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Does Spelunky ever go on sale? I'm really LTTP just playing the steam version ( it's been in my backlog for like 4 years) but would love to play it on Vita as the game just seems ideal for a handheld.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
That's awesome! How are you liking Xenogears on Vita? Doesn't it look glorious on the Vita screen? I think it totally gives PS1 games new life since they all look terrible on HDTVs nowadays.
PS1 games definitely look much better on the Vita screen than they do blown up on a modern TV. The screen really does it justice. That's pretty much the only way I play PS1 now.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Does Spelunky ever go on sale? I'm really LTTP just playing the steam version ( it's been in my backlog for like 4 years) but would love to play it on Vita as the game just seems ideal for a handheld.
You're dang right about that! It has some slowdowns and is a little small on the Vita but overall works really well on it. For a little while It was all I used my Vita for, before I finally found some Vita-exclusives I actually liked.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Hey! Does Retroarch not save your games (for example, those that should have a built in memory)?

Which emulators do you recommend me? Retroarch seemed so good (it is) but the errors using save states and this apparent lack of saving kills it

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Payday! Already got a couple of new Vita games.

Ys Origins on PSN, and Metal Gear Solid HD collection off ebay.

I think after I get Gravity Rush, that's pretty much it for the games I really want to play on Vita. I'll probably get Killzone at some point but it's not a priority for me honestly.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I platinumed Lost Dimension yesterday.

I ended up liking it for its gameplay rather than its story, which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting.

Now I'm gonna try to platinum Tokyo Xanadu.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Could someone tell me if it's possible to transfer the save data of PSOne classic games from memory card to memory card somehow?

I used the data management app, but the only data it wanted to let me xfer was for cartridge/native Vita games, I guess not PSOne classics?

My 16GB memory card came, but I'm over 12 hours into Xenogears now and I'm not gonna restart again, lol.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Could someone tell me if it's possible to transfer the save data of PSOne classic games from memory card to memory card somehow?

I used the data management app, but the only data it wanted to let me xfer was for cartridge/native Vita games, I guess not PSOne classics?

My 16GB memory card came, but I'm over 12 hours into Xenogears now and I'm not gonna restart again, lol.

I believe you can back the Vita memory card up to a PS3 or PC and then restore that same backup to your Vita with the new/bigger memory card.

I think this requires the Content Manager software for PC though so definitely look it up.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sharin no Kuni's latest Kickstarter update actually shows off English Vita screenshots.

Stunned it's still happening.