• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your most anticipated Vita title of 2018?

• 13 Sentinels

Votes: 125 28.3%
  • Catherine Fullbody

Votes: 160 36.2%
  • Persona 3/5 Dancing

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Muv Luv

Votes: 52 11.8%
  • Code: Realize/Hakuoki

Votes: 18 4.1%

• Total voters

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
So after about 5 months off from Vita gaming due to various real-life drama alongside getting a bit burned out, I'm finally back into it now. Playing Freedom Wars, Ray Gigant, thinking of picking up Trails of Cold Steel II soon. Definitely helping through all this lockdown.

Also various reviews I've done since I last posted here:

Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo (disappointed mech looter);

kresnik258gaming.wordpress.com

(Vita) Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo review

Arc System Works’ isometric, loot-based mech hack ‘n’ slash offers a basic repetitive experience that could have been so much more with a little care put in. Developer Aplus Co Lt…

Fast Striker (generic scrolling shooter);

(Vita) Fast Striker review

A fast-paced and well-made shoot ’em up that’s made the jump across from Neo Geo and sadly shows its roots a little too often. Developer NG:DEV Publisher eastasiasoft Franchise N/A Genr…

Inviizmals: The Resistance (probably the best Invizimals game ever made, which isn't to say much but it's somewhat fun):

(Vita) Invizimals: The Resistance review

A tweaked improvement to 2013’s The Alliance that makes enough changes and improvements to be easily the best Invizimals title ever made. Developer Novarama; SCE XDev Studio Publisher Sony Co…

Orgarhythm (bit of a hidden gem, I enjoyed it, rhythm/strategy hybrid:

(Vita) Orgarhythm review

A unique mix of rhythm and strategy gameplay elements by Acquire that manages to overcome some rough edges to make a memorable experience. Developer Acquire; Neilo Publisher Acquire; XSEED Games Fr…

Sly 2: Band of Thieves (I sort of half loved, half got annoyed at this game. It's too long winded but the gameplay changes are excellent):

(Vita) Sly 2: Band of Thieves review

An imaginative sequel that makes sweeping changes to the stealth-platforming formula that mostly work, although a bloated run time hurts its enjoyment. Developer Sucker Punch Productions; Sanzaru G…

And Populous: The Beginning PS1 (I will forever love this game even if the PS1 port is abysmal):

(PS1) Populous: The Beginning review

Bullfrog offer an experimental new direction for their storied franchise that works stunningly well, although this PS1 port has a few issues that hold it back. Developer Bullfrog Productions Publis…

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see you back. :)

Thanks Dandy!

Have you seen the eBay prices of Persona 4 recently? It's insane. I've been holding off getting a copy because it's always seemed in abundant supply, but...

Hoping once shop's reopen I can find one in CEX or similar (UK pawn shop) for a decent price.

I also paid £32 for a copy of Ragnarok Odyssey Ace which seems to have gotten ridiculously pricey too.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So I've decided to (finally) hack the Vita, I know what steps to follow, etc.

A couple of questions:

- Can I use a Vita memory and SD2Vita at the same time?
- Can I use a Cartridge game with the vita hacked? The hack is only installed on the Vita Memory, so I should, right?

I get confused by the memory stuff

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, definitely an option, but I was also hoping to pick up a spare card.

Alright, well the only advice I can give you for normal memory-cards, don't go with 64gb, they have have a high failure-rate, especially for the price. My 64gb one broke after a year of moderate use and I basically wasted 80€ on it. 32gb ones have some failures too but that's much less common from what I've seen online.

So I've decided to (finally) hack the Vita, I know what steps to follow, etc.

A couple of questions:

- Can I use a Vita memory and SD2Vita at the same time?
- Can I use a Cartridge game with the vita hacked? The hack is only installed on the Vita Memory, so I should, right?

I get confused by the memory stuff

Yes to both to your questions. Although they won't both be available at the same time, aslong as a SD2Vita is inserted the Vita memory-card will be dormant. Then if you remove the SD2Vita to play a cartridge game the Vita memory-card will take over, although you have to turn off the Vita before removing or inserting a SD2Vita. I would advice you to just dump your physical games and put them on the SD card.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Alright, well the only advice I can give you for normal memory-cards, don't go with 64gb, they have have a high failure-rate, especially for the price. My 64gb one broke after a year of moderate use and I basically wasted 80€ on it. 32gb ones have some failures too but that's much less common from what I've seen online.

Yes to both to your questions. Although they won't both be available at the same time, aslong as a SD2Vita is inserted the Vita memory-card will be dormant. Then if you remove the SD2Vita to play a cartridge game the Vita memory-card will take over, although you have to turn off the Vita before removing or inserting a SD2Vita. I would advice you to just dump your physical games and put them on the SD card.

So the CFW goes into the Vita Memory and that allows me to use the SD, right?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So I finally did it, I really should've done it sooner. The Vita is stil an amazing system, and much more opened like this. I installed a lot of homebrew, emulators, and transferred games... Quake 2, OMG, can't believe how well ported it is.

Any essential tools I should know of ?

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
I also got Enso on 3.60 done recently since I learned about sd2vita. Wanted to download metal gear solid 1 and finally start that series, but I cant find it on my download list. How can I enable all my ps1/psp downloads that aren't shown on the vita store?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I also got Enso on 3.60 done recently since I learned about sd2vita. Wanted to download metal gear solid 1 and finally start that series, but I cant find it on my download list. How can I enable all my ps1/psp downloads that aren't shown on the vita store?
Pretty sure that ones not natively on the Vita so you'd need to transfer it from a PS3 to Vita to be able to play it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have MGS1 on my Vita. And I don't have a PS3. So unless something changed recently, you should be able to download it from PSN just fine. Odd that it's not in your DL list. Tried using the website to push the DL request to your Vita?

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Do you have a original PSX disc? You could dump it and convert it to an eboot for use with Adrenalin on the Vita.

Nope. Bought it on psn store for the first time years ago.

I have MGS1 on my Vita. And I don't have a PS3. So unless something changed recently, you should be able to download it from PSN just fine. Odd that it's not in your DL list. Tried using the website to push the DL request to your Vita?

Are you from Europe? I saw that it works in european regions. Double checked my dl history and nope cant download from there.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Are you from Europe? I saw that it works in european regions. Double checked my dl history and nope cant download from there.

I am. Guess that's why then. It's baffling how the availability of some of these games differs per region.

Don't even get me started on the 50hz PAL PlayStation classics 😭

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
dZ5lfT1.png

PC site if that is what you mean. Guess I'll just play it via my mind...

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I bought a refurbished 1000 yesterday off Ebay to mostly play PSone classic RPGs. I also got an 8GB memory card and Trails of Cold Steel 1/2 physical carts.

Kinda stupid excited about this. I've been playing my switch a ton and I can see myself using this a lot. Hope it comes soon!

I really wanna play freaking Xenogears.

List of games I will buy or already own: Xenogears, FFT (standard, may upgrade to WOTL), Suikoden 1, Suikoden 2, Wild Arms 1, Wild Arms 2, Trails of Cold Steel 1, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Castlevania SOTN

That's definitely enough games to justify the purchase so I feel pretty good about it.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a refurbished 1000 yesterday off Ebay to mostly play PSone classic RPGs. I also got an 8GB memory card and Trails of Cold Steel 1/2 physical carts.

Kinda stupid excited about this. I've been playing my switch a ton and I can see myself using this a lot. Hope it comes soon!

List of games I will buy or already own: Xenogears, FFT (standard, may upgrade to WOTL), Suikoden 1, Suikoden 2, Wild Arms 1, Wild Arms 2, Trails of Cold Steel 1, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI.

That's definitely enough games to justify the purchase so I feel pretty good about it.

Welcome to the family!

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Welcome to the family!

Thank you! Now impatiently awaiting shipping. It's from a reputable seller and with it being refurbished it should be in pretty great shape.

Oh, I should add Breath of Fire III & IV before I forget about it. Any other classic PSOne RPGs I'm forgetting about that are available? Is Lunar Silver Star Story on this jaint?

Does PSN often have any of these games on sale? I'd hate to stock up just to see these games all for a few bucks a pop in a month or something.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Thank you! Now impatiently awaiting shipping. It's from a reputable seller and with it being refurbished it should be in pretty great shape.

Oh, I should add Breath of Fire III & IV before I forget about it. Any other classic PSOne RPGs I'm forgetting about that are available? Is Lunar Silver Star Story on this jaint?

Does PSN often have any of these games on sale? I'd hate to stock up just to see these games all for a few bucks a pop in a month or something.
Square Enix has regular sales on their PS1 stuff, so you can grab cheap Parasite Eves and Final Fantasies once in a while! I believe Capcom does too!

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, didn't even know we had this thread. I got a Vita 2000 in 2017 and a PSTV in 2018 with a bunch of games, but never got too deep into any of them. I put up with Persona 4 Golden for like 30 hours and as pushing towards the end I thought but then learned I was less than halfway through so I quit. Mostly just became a handheld Spelunky device for me after that. Now I began playing my Vita again this past month after having ignored it for all of 2019 and am getting really pulled into a few of the games I had on it, namely Soul Sacrifice Delta (which seriously kicks ass! It's so good), Wipeout 2048, and Freedom Wars (not as interesting as SSD, but still pretty cool and another really great take on a MH-like game, which I don't usually like outside of actual Monster Hunter titles).

Hoping I can also get into the Vanillaware games I got. Dragon's Crown I was most interested in initially, but sort of bounced off of a couple of times, and I hadn't tried the other two because of that. I think I may end up liking Muramasa more. Also plan on playing a few other Vita exclusives at some point. I did also get TxK which I'm not sure I totally understand how to play but I like having arcadey type games on handhelds for short play sessions.

Mainly been screwing around with CFW and homebrew stuff though. "Overclocking" and changing render resolutions and framerate caps does some good for a few games.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
TFW you realize you ordered an item you really want on a holiday weekend with an extra day where the shipping doesn't run 😬

With the Switch really selling me on modern handheld gaming I'm soooo excited to get some quality time in with another handheld, especially to revisit my old PS1 friends.

But this is also perfect timing for me to get the Trails games with Trails 3 coming to switch next month, now I will be able to play 1 and 2 on vita first and have an idea of what the hell is going on.

I've ordered a screen protector/back protector set, a sorta switch style dock charger, some joystick grippy covers, and a carrying case with room for some physical games. Any other must have accessories for a 1000 series?

Last edited:

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

List of games I will buy or already own: Xenogears, FFT (standard, may upgrade to WOTL), Suikoden 1, Suikoden 2, Wild Arms 1, Wild Arms 2, Trails of Cold Steel 1, Trails of Cold Steel 2, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Castlevania SOTN

Hey, welcome to the family! I've been touting how good Vita is as a portable RPG machine for a while, there's tonnes of brilliant stuff in there, so I hope you enjoy it!

Don't forget Breath of Fire III and IV in your list :)

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Hey, welcome to the family! I've been touting how good Vita is as a portable RPG machine for a while, there's tonnes of brilliant stuff in there, so I hope you enjoy it!

Don't forget Breath of Fire III and IV in your list :)

yup, added them and tactics ogre as well.

looks like everything will be arriving a week from today. The waaaaaaiting is the haaardest part *tom petty voice*

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
What's the usual recommendation for SD Cards to use on the Vita? Is the SD2Vita compatible with high speed SDXC, SDHC?

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Guys, I need help with Lost Dimension. I already finished my first playthrough and 'strengthened bonds' with seven characters. Now I'm in the second walkthrough and I'd like to strengthen bonds with the other three characters, but as you already know, they could end up being the traitor before chapter 4.

Now, the question is what happens if I leave the traitor alive??? Let's say that character is the traitor in the third floor and I sacrifice an innocent. Is that character still the traitor in the fourth floor, or do I get a new traitor???

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I need help with Lost Dimension. I already finished my first playthrough and 'strengthened bonds' with seven characters. Now I'm in the second walkthrough and I'd like to strengthen bonds with the other three characters, but as you already know, they could end up being the traitor before chapter 4.

Now, the question is what happens if I leave the traitor alive??? Let's say that character is the traitor in the third floor and I sacrifice an innocent. Is that character still the traitor in the fourth floor, or do I get a new traitor???

This is a little bit spoiler-y I think so I'll put it in tags in case you don't want to know what happens (I think it's an awesome surprise).

You'll get a new traitor at the next floor. When you reach The End, any traitors that are still alive will fight alongside him (and not with your team) in the boss battle.

It means that one of the trophies is really hard to get, because you can raise all the bonds for the trophy, but there's one that requires you to fight the true end (i.e. raise all bonds and fight The End with no traitors alive) but that comes down to pure luck as for who you get as your traitors during your first run or two

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
So I may have gone a little overboard but fuck it. In for a penny in for a pound.

Up to 21 games, whenever the vita comes - below is the list.

— my vita collection

Out of those, physical are: P4G, Trails 1, Trails 2, Disgaea 3 and Ys Memories of Celceta. Found some good deals on eBay and Facebook marketplace. If I'm missing a major JRPG from psone or one that isn't available now on switch, please comment! Hoping I can squeeze most of not all of these on the 8GB card.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So I may have gone a little overboard but fuck it. In for a penny in for a pound.

Up to 21 games, whenever the vita comes - below is the list.

Out of those, physical are: P4G, Trails 1, Trails 2, Disgaea 3 and Ys Memories of Celceta. Found some good deals on eBay and Facebook marketplace. If I'm missing a major JRPG from psone or one that isn't available now on switch, please comment! Hoping I can squeeze most of not all of these on the 8GB card.

Have you played visual novels before?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I'm not super into them. My friend won't shut up about Steins Gate...
Is it the lack of gameplay other than selecting choices? If so the Zero Escape series and Kresnik's mention of Danganronpa might be worth looking into. They are not full on RPGs or anything but have puzzles and other things to do versus just selecting choices.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
This is a little bit spoiler-y I think so I'll put it in tags in case you don't want to know what happens (I think it's an awesome surprise).

You'll get a new traitor at the next floor. When you reach The End, any traitors that are still alive will fight alongside him (and not with your team) in the boss battle.

It means that one of the trophies is really hard to get, because you can raise all the bonds for the trophy, but there's one that requires you to fight the true end (i.e. raise all bonds and fight The End with no traitors alive) but that comes down to pure luck as for who you get as your traitors during your first run or two
Is it possible to erase two characters in a single trial??? Looks like I'll have to, because fucking Mana decided to be the fucking traitor in the third fucking floor... AGAIN!!!

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Vita scheduled to arrive on Friday!!

anything I can do with it until the memory card comes? I got it from a diff seller so it may not come til Saturday or Sunday :(