• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Fortune Lover.
Catarina is best girl. Too bad you can't get her route.

In seriousness though, Grisaia is pretty good for pulpy action/harem fun.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Higurashi
Umineko (best visual novel)
Danganronpa
Virtue's Last Reward
AI: Somnium Files
Ace Attorney
Death Mark, I finished it today I loved the game.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Personal faves : muv luv trilogy, fate stay night realta nua, steins:gate and sg 0
I am on the fence with recommending Phoenix Wright / Danganronpa and Nonary Games trilogies. They are all brilliant but require way more interactivity from the "reader"

MintMuffin

Banned
Jun 4, 2020

VNDB scores can be misleading, but at least the top 20 make a lot of sense. (The Fruit of Grisaia conveniently sits at #21, I have no idea why it ranks so high). Out of the ones I played, my favorites are White Album 2 and Baldr Sky. White Album 2 offers better character study than all the other videogames I've played. Baldr Sky was one of the most batshit insane Sci-Fi adventures, along with 13 Sentinels.

Last edited:

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
House in Fata Morgana is the best visual novel I've played, is only about 20 hours, but not sure it fits your criteria as it's mostly linear

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Coffee Talk has appeared on the three consoles (and Xbox Gamepass) recently. It's not a revolution but relaxing and well crafted.

store.steampowered.com

Coffee Talk on Steam

Coffee Talk is a coffee brewing and heart-to-heart talking simulator about listening to fantasy-inspired modern peoples’ problems, and helping them by serving up a warm drink or two.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to slightly hijack your thread OP, but I was wondering if people could recommend me some good VNs on Switch as well.

I'd say I'm fine with longer ones if the story, characters and pacing are good.

I've already played some of the more recommended ones here, like 999, VLR and Danganronpa. Also I would prefer them to have some gameplay interactions besides just making dialogue choices, but again, if the story is good and well paced then I can do classic VNs as well.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to slightly hijack your thread OP, but I was wondering if people could recommend me some good VNs on Switch as well.

I've already played some of the more recommended ones here, like 999, VLR and Danganronpa. Also I would prefer them to have some gameplay interactions besides just making dialogue choices, but again, if the story is good and well paced then I can do classic VNs as well.
AI: The Somnium Files which is from 999 and VLR's writer and developer, VA-11 Hall-A might also be what you're looking for and it's pretty good

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Along with the other suggestions, the Ace Attorney games sound like they are what you are looking for since you would prefer something more than just a traditional vn. I think the trilogy of the first three games goes on sale on PS4/Steam/Switch fairly often.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017

Clannad is a classic, and is available on Switch. It's incredible.

CLANNAD Review | Bonus Stage is the world's leading source for Playstation 5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One, 3DS, Wii U, Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PS Vita, and DS Video Game Reviews with over 5500 in-house reviews to

The matriarch of the visual novel world has come to the Switch, and allows a new generation to see if they, too, can get dehydrated from crying too much.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

VA-11 HAL-A. It's a VN but you are a bartender and mix drinks for people.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Along with the other suggestions, the Ace Attorney games sound like they are what you are looking for since you would prefer something more than just a traditional vn. I think the trilogy of the first three games goes on sale on PS4/Steam/Switch fairly often.
Clannad is a classic, and is available on Switch. It's incredible.

CLANNAD Review | Bonus Stage is the world's leading source for Playstation 5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One, 3DS, Wii U, Wii, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PS Vita, and DS Video Game Reviews with over 5500 in-house reviews to

The matriarch of the visual novel world has come to the Switch, and allows a new generation to see if they, too, can get dehydrated from crying too much.
VA-11 HAL-A. It's a VN but you are a bartender and mix drinks for people.
Thank you guys.

I'll def keep those in mind. There were a couple of times that I came this close to buying Ace Attorney Collection but talked myself out of it since it seems a bit overwhelming as a newcomer haha

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

VNDB scores can be misleading, but at least the top 20 make a lot of sense. (The Fruit of Grisaia conveniently sits at #21, I have no idea why it ranks so high). Out of the ones I played, my favorites are White Album 2 and Baldr Sky. White Album 2 offers better character study than all the other videogames I've played. Baldr Sky was one of the most batshit insane Sci-Fi adventures, along with 13 Sentinels.

God I wish this had an English translation. Hopefully I'll play it in Japanese someday.

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
God I wish this had an English translation. Hopefully I'll play it in Japanese someday.
Huh, I was sure White Album 2 would be translated by now, but it seems translation team hasn't updated patch in almost 2 years. Maybe it was bought by Sekai? Seems like a decent candidate for official release.

I hope Amagami is still worked on.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not pure VNs but the Utawarerumono games are pretty great i really loved the story and the turn based combat part is also surprisingly well done and addicting.

ShackD

Oct 27, 2017
Utawarerumono as said before is really good. It made me cry lol.

Also if you don't mind sexual content give "Acting Lessons" a try.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1045520/Acting_Lessons/

Reviews: Overwhelmingly Positive (1,612)

Quote from one review:
So many of the reviews for Acting Lessons say that once you start, you'll skip through the "good bits" to keep following the "oh so amazing plot." Of course, going into it, I expected that to be absolute bs. How could you open the game ready to crank it and then get so distracted by the story that you completely forget what you came here for? As it turns out, those reviews are absolutely right. In fact, this is another one.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Utawarerumono as said before is really good. It made me cry lol.

Also if you don't mind sexual content give "Acting Lessons" a try.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1045520/Acting_Lessons/

Reviews: Overwhelmingly Positive (1,612)

Quote from one review:

I hadn't taken such reviews that seriously, but no one had given it a recommendation whilst putting Utawarerumono within the same post.

The 'artstyle' doesn't appeal to me in the slightest - is this really worth it from a genuine plot perspective?

ShackD

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't taken such reviews that seriously, but no one had given it a recommendation whilst putting Utawarerumono within the same post.

The 'artstyle' doesn't appeal to me in the slightest - is this really worth it from a genuine plot perspective?

I would say so. Acting Lessons might seems like it's a happy harem romance, but there is a lot of depth to the characters and lots of twists and turns in the plot. I mean the plot struck me in such a way that I honestly have only played it once... Because I didn't want to go through some of the stuff that happened in the game again (It get's pretty dark).

I'm not sure what I can say without spoiling the game, but I will say that my ending was very bittersweet and it made me cry... But I still want to try to go back and get my "perfect ending" but I'm afraid lol.

And yeah, 3DCG can be pretty jarring for a VN, but you get used to it as you play. I say this as someone who only played anime style visual novels for most of his life.

There are some really dark moments in this VN so I'll give a trigger warning.
Domestic Abuse, Attempted Rape, Racism.
Also Melissa is best girl!

Slashkice

Oct 27, 2017
I'm obligated to recommend Muv-Luv because it's the GOAT, but it's not at all what you're looking for OP. The Zero Escape series fits your criteria even if the last entry is disappointing.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018

Grisaia's trilogy is a pretty good story wise imo.

Its one of the unique VN that has a MC with a dark past that affects with him mentally. Though Meikyuu is the most uncomfortable part of the series since it dives into Yuuji's past to show why he suffers those mental trauma. (Getting groom/sexually molested by the big bad. Losing Asako and etc.

The backstory of the girls are also well done. All of them has a reason why they go to the school just like Yuuji. They suffered some emotional trauma in the past.

White Album 2 deserves an English translation, the whole series (Introductory Chapter + Closing Chapter) was such a fun and memorable game. One of my prized gaming collection is my of White Album 2: Shiawase No Mukougawa Premium Edition.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Grisaia's trilogy is a pretty good story wise imo.

Its one of the unique VN that has a MC with a dark past that affects with him mentally. Though Meikyuu is the most uncomfortable part of the series since it dives into Yuuji's past to show why he suffers those mental trauma. (Getting groom/sexually molested by the big bad. Losing Asako and etc.

The backstory of the girls are also well done. All of them has a reason why they go to the school just like Yuuji. They suffered some emotional trauma in the past.

White Album 2 deserves an English translation, the whole series (Introductory Chapter + Closing Chapter) was such a fun and memorable game. One of my prized gaming collection is my of White Album 2: Shiawase No Mukougawa Premium Edition.

Don't forget coda! Coda is the much needed catharsis!

I would not call WA2 fun....
Also WA2 has an excellent OST.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fault milestone
Grisaia series

also where the fuck is umineko gold

lastly technically a VN and will release in September

13th Sentinels : Aegis Rim (I heard nothing but great re: this)

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
So, I don't know if we have a Visual Novel Community Thread, but since you guys are all here, does anyone know if "Buried Stars" might be any good? It's coming out in two weeks:

It's a Korean adventure game/visual novel with a Death Game setting (this has to be a genre by now...), even the music is... reminiscent... of Danganronpa as you'll find in the video.
I like the artstyle and the theme, I was just wondering if it's going to be total trash?
Here's the Gematsu article with more info:
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/buried-stars-launches-july-30-gameplay-trailer

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So, I don't know if we have a Visual Novel Community Thread, but since you guys are all here, does anyone know if "Buried Stars" might be any good? It's coming out in two weeks:

It's a Korean adventure game/visual novel with a Death Game setting (this has to be a genre by now...), even the music is... reminiscent... of Danganronpa as you'll find in the video.
I like the artstyle and the theme, I was just wondering if it's going to be total trash?
Here's the Gematsu article with more info:
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/buried-stars-launches-july-30-gameplay-trailer

We do have a Visual Novel Community Thread! https://www.resetera.com/threads/visual-novel-community-thread-no-auto-read-required.1555/

I agree Buried Stars looks intriguing - someone made a thread earlier: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ko...wide-for-switch-ps4-vita-on-july-30th.247579/

:)

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Isn't the game about the MC being miserable as an adult, because of a teenage fling?

Not at all.

Is definitely not a fling - that is kind of the point of WA2, is something will not go away despite the years, they can try to avoid it, hide it or pretend to get over it but sooner or later their true feelings will come back to hunt them. WR2 rests on the goals and faults of their characters - that will absolutely not change at all during the duration of the VN.
Everyone is miserable in their own way until Haruki decides to choose or someone decides for him and even so someone will get hut.

Setsuna - Keep them together regardless the method and get Haruki as the cherry on top.
Kazusa - Hariku or hell - even if it means leave literally everything behind, her piano and mother is the cherry on top.
Haruki - Kazusa is everything but also has a soft spot for Setsuna that will never go away and dont want to hurt her given how much she did for him and he actually care for her but regardless Kazusa will always be more important to him, no matter what.

The normal Kazusa ending is such great way to show it -in the worst possible way- cheating with Kazusa while being engaged to Setsuna with lots of sex, Kasuza being next door neighbor and hear how Haruki has sex with Setsuna and suffering for that and at the end hes left a a wreck by not being sincere with him and to the others.

Luckily the K True End fixes all that.......but still, this is WA2 and happiness comes with a price.

[/QUOTE]

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant reccomended anything to OP because every flow chart game I've played isnt "short". Hell every VN I've played is long by nature.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Well this recommendation is not what OP is looking for, but since the topic is here, if anyone ever wanted to get into the whole Fate/ series and has any interest in VN's, I'll recommend you go ahead and check out the Fate/Stay Night VN since it's still the best story in the series and the most complete too. If you enjoy it, Hollow Ataraxia is a great pseudo sequel too.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Was the sequel ever translated?

Sequel? I guess you mean the game with all the chapters, no, it has not being officially translated but the english patch can be easily obtained. It covers IC and CC (first and second part), while not perfect is absolutely fine and follows fatefully what is said. Google baka-tsuki WA2.

The last chapter is the one is not finished and maybe it will never be - coda - but there is an excellent youtuber that has the playthrough of that chapter "translated" and what is even better he gives context to the scenes and the japanese language that is used in Kasuza TE.

Last edited:

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
Don't forget coda! Coda is the much needed catharsis!

I would not call WA2 fun....
Also WA2 has an excellent OST.

It was fun for me! The story was just mature in many ways. It completely stomps on the typical "happy ending" that a lot of VNs have. As painful it was going through each route. Going for someone routes just means hurting someone else. I'm a big Kazusa fan so it hurts having to do Setsuna's route lol

Not at all.

Is definitely not a fling - that is kind of the point of WA2, is something will not go away despite the years, they can try to avoid it, hide it or pretend to get over it but sooner or later their true feelings will come back to hunt them. WR2 rests on the goals and faults of their characters - that will absolutely not change at all during the duration of the VN.
Everyone is miserable in their own way until Haruki decides to choose or someone decides for him and even so someone will get hut.

Setsuna - Keep them together regardless the method and get Haruki as the cherry on top.
Kazusa - Hariku or hell - even if it means leave literally everything behind, her piano and mother is the cherry on top.
Haruki - Kazusa is everything but also has a soft spot for Setsuna that will never go away and dont want to hurt her given how much she did for him and he actually care for her but regardless Kazusa will always be more important to him, no matter what.

The normal Kazusa ending is such great way to show it -in the worst possible way- cheating with Kazusa while being engaged to Setsuna with lots of sex, Kasuza being next door neighbor and hear how Haruki has sex with Setsuna and suffering for that and at the end hes left a a wreck by not being sincere with him and to the others.

Luckily the K True End fixes all that.......but still, this is WA2 and happiness comes with a price.
[/QUOTE]

This fucked me up so hard in the end when we were shown Setsuna learning how to play the guitar and plays/sing powder snow with a changed lyrics. Just when I thought I got my happy ending with Kazusa, they throw a lowblow ;-;

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
This fucked me up so hard in the end when we were shown Setsuna learning how to play the guitar and plays/sing powder snow with a changed lyrics. Just when I thought I got my happy ending with Kazusa, they throw a lowblow ;-;

But of course, is WA2 we are talking about.

"How are you? Im still
signing.
"

And directed to Haruki - only-

Happiness comes with a big price to pay.

eggs

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna plug some slightly less well known visual novels here...

A Light in the Dark is pretty good, it's an indie Taiwanese visual novel with a fairly unique premise. Has a demo as well. https://store.steampowered.com/app/766280/A_Light_in_the_Dark/

CUPID. A free to play visual novel. I found the premise interesting - you don't play 'as' the main character, but rather, a voice in the main character's head, 'Mother'. This makes for a pretty different set of interactions between you and the viewpoint character. https://store.steampowered.com/app/421670/CUPID__A_free_to_play_Visual_Novel/

Royal Alchemist - a stat-raising visual novel in the vein of the Princess Maker games, or Long Live The Queen if you've played that. It's an otome as well. https://store.steampowered.com/app/939790/Royal_Alchemist/

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Umineko
Stein's;Gate
House of Fata Morgana

Crash course in fucking excellent VNs right there

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the Danganronpa games, the Zero Escape games, and Steins;Gate

I know a lot of people really don't like how over-the-top and just kinda campy Danganronpa is, but it's a good time.

The Zero Escape games I've played (999 and VLR) are both excellent, but if you don't like solving puzzles that could be an issue

Steins;Gate is so steeped in circa 2009 otaku culture, that I think you can appreciate it being really representative of that time, but it could easily be too weeby for a lot of people. Beyond that though there is one scene that is pretty bad, and the way the game handles trans representation is not great, though for a Japanese game in 2009, it's probably better in that respect than a lot of its counterparts. It's still by far my favorite time travel story in a video game and I do think it's worth playing in context, just keep a guide with you for the true ending.

eggs

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in regards to Steins;Gate and to a somewhat smaller extent, Chaos;Child, I do have to say that they both come across as rather more 'weeby' compared to Raging Loop and The House of Fata Morgana, so if you have low tolerance for that, take it as a warning.

On my part I couldn't really make it through Steins;Gate, but was able to muster through Chaos;Child.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Saya no Uta and Hanachirasu, maybe? Not much in terms of flowcharts or different routes but they're short and pretty bloat-free. I'd recommend Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer too, but I don't think that one ever got an english release. Do keep in mind these are adult games and SnU in particular may be a no-no since it has a sex scene with... a thing that the protagonist perceives as a very young girl.

For something a bit more lighthearted that I don't see many people talking about, there's Kira☆Kira. Bunch of high school kids making a band and going on a road trip. This one's not so short but I really liked it and I think it doesn't get enough cred. Nothing too deep or thought-provoking, just a fun read with a nice soundtrack to boot. As for routes, it's the usual "each heroine gets her own".

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone please post in the Buried Stars news thread so people will see it. I don't want to triple post.

I feel like it's got major appeal for the Zero Time Dilemma/DanganRonpa crowd here, but it has almost no media presence despite coming out in two weeks.