• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I'm not exactly a newbie to medium but was out of the loop for the past year or so. Recently I've picked up Summer Pockets and so far I don't think I enjoy it as much as previous VNs from Key.

Anyway, my preferences are something with more interactive flowchart, relatively short or non-linear routes and as little bloat as possible (this one is hard, I know). And to summarize most things I dislike about the medium: Chaos;Child.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Chaos;Child is one of my favorite Visual Novels...

As for your question - 428 seems like an easy recommendation. Every VN is linear, more or less, but 428 is less linear and doesn't have too much bloat. It's a really funny and great VN.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
I have been playing Fashionist Little Miss Lonesome and it is way funnier than I expected.

Is an otome btw but I think that everyone can enjoy it.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The first two Zero Escape games. The second one in particular has one of the best implemented flowcharts in any video game.

428 is all about playing around with choices leading to wildly different outcomes, has around 70+ bad ends.

Planetarian if you're looking for something ultra short, no choices though.

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
As for your question - 428 seems like an easy recommendation. Every VN is linear, more or less, but 428 is less linear and doesn't have too much bloat. It's a really funny and great VN.
Yeah, I kinda want something more interactive and fast-paced as 428. Chunsoft really nailed the pacing thanks to constant switch of characters and the plot structure in general.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
This is like the opposite of what you're asking but I really loved Yu-No: a Girl who Chants Love at the Bounds of this World. It involves lots and lots of time-travel, a highly interactive flow-chart. But it's not short at all: it's a good 50+ hours to see it all and you'll skip through a lot of the same scenes to try and get different routes. But the mystery is really well done and it's an important game in the genre. It might be one of the first if not the first to actually do the flow-chart thing. It's also really more an adventure visual novel as you're collecting items and looking at things a lot. I suppose I should mention: it was originally an eroge VN (the re-release edited the hentai scenes out) and there's a LOT of "problematic" content. So be warned if you're sensitive to that stuff.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Higurashi chapter 1 is free at Steam so you should try it if you like mysteries/suspense. The last chapter (with new translation) was released a few days ago.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The perfect four-way of Zero Escape, Danganronpa, Steins Gate and Ace Attorney. It's impossible to go wrong with neither of them.

Oct 28, 2017
Seconding Raging Loop. It's a decent length without being some 50h+ epic, it has a very intriguing horror/mystery vibe with the very cool concept of a game of Werewolf with real stakes, there's multiple routes but it does have an enforced route order and there's only a small handful of them. Very little game but an enjoyable story.

There's of course all the Zero Escape games; though AI the Somnium Files is made by the same creator and it's one of the best VNs I've played in recent memory. Full voice acting, much less epic in scale and a more narrow scope than the Zero Escape games but it's full of mysteries and mind twists and it's also not doorbuster length.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend Raging Loop, fantastic VN. I also think it satisfies all your conditions.
I was gonna say that too, but in the end I didn't find the game to be that compelling and the presentation absolutely sucks. It's the worst looking VN I've played, it's so bland and boring looking. It feels like there's a handul of backgrounds, some of which are literal walls and it almost never changes. It's not a bad story though, but I'd get this one at a discount.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
So i m going to say all of the visual novel that i loved :
Muv luv trilogy ( the first one is funny but not as good as the second or the third !)
Umineko
Higurashi ( i have to read 6,7, 8, but the first 5 are so good)
G senjou no maou
Ever 17
Stein gate and Stein gate 0 ( i may be the only one that prefer stein gate 0)

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Seconding Raging Loop. It's a decent length without being some 50h+ epic, it has a very intriguing horror/mystery vibe with the very cool concept of a game of Werewolf with real stakes, there's multiple routes but it does have an enforced route order and there's only a small handful of them. Very little game but an enjoyable story.
Is it like Death Mark without P&C elements? I enjoyed a good deal out of that game.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, 428 sounds like what you want.
No bloat / alternate routes makes it a bit hard because they're often mutually exclusive.

I love them, but I wouldn't recommend most of Uchikoshi's games or Steins Gate if you want to avoid bloat, because there's a ton of fat in these games.

It's not strictly a VN, but AI: the somnium files was pretty well paced, it's a lot less mindblowing than slower burns, but it gets going quicker.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it like Death Mark without P&C elements? I enjoyed a good deal out of that game.

Can't say I know much about Death Mark besides some screenshots, though I can comment that there's almost no gameplay the speak of in Raging Loop. You make a very small handful of choices, and there's an enforced route order so the wrong answers just very rapidly lead you back to the same choice. You could honestly remove choices and lose almost nothing.

Also Raging Loop is horror/mystery yes but it doesn't really have much in the way of actual gruesome imagery or gore like what the steam page for Death Mark implies.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
ed2.jpg

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Am I the only one that doesn't consider games like Zero Escape or Danganronpa to be Visual Novels? Maybe I'm just old, but I always considered those an evolution of "Adventure Game" in the classic PC sense. While Visual Novels to me didn't have any gameplay or puzzle solving, just a novel told through a visual medium with at most choices to influence the story (ala Fate/Stay Night or something). At the very least I feel like we need to have terms to differentiate between these two things because I legitimately don't know what people want most of the time Visual Novels come up nowadays. Experiencing Umineko is very different from experiencing Phoenix Wright, ya know?

Umineko, but find the patch with the PS3 sprites.
Nah, original PC sprites for life. So much more personality.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Am I the only one that doesn't consider games like Zero Escape or Danganronpa to be Visual Novels? Maybe I'm just old, but I always considered those an evolution of "Adventure Game" in the classic PC sense. While Visual Novels to me didn't have any gameplay or puzzle solving, just a novel told through a visual medium with at most choices to influence the story (ala Fate/Stay Night or something). At the very least I feel like we need to have terms to differentiate between these two things because I legitimately don't know what people want most of the time Visual Novels come up nowadays. Experiencing Umineko is very different from experiencing Phoenix Wright, ya know?

Nah, original PC sprites for life. So much more personality.

Can the original PC sprites at least get the voice acting? Becuase the seiyuu of Beatrice was awesome.

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Am I the only one that doesn't consider games like Zero Escape or Danganronpa to be Visual Novels?
The way story is structured I think it's safe to say that Zero Escape up until the 3rd game is very much a visual novel with adventure game elements. I think storytelling techniques are more important in calling something a VN than the gameplay elements or lack of them.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Steins gate and steins gate 0 if you arent into anime. Which i recommand to watch the anime more :)
Literally crazy talk, the anime is basically just fast forwarding through the key moments with no breathing room. I watched it with my housemate after I played the VN and was blown away by how bad it was in comparison.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Can the original PC sprites at least get the voice acting? Becuase the seiyuu of Beatrice was awesome.
I believe that was possible at one point though I have no idea how viable it is now. To be honest, I read Umineko as it was first being translated into English, so voice acting would also just be weird to me. But I can at least agree that the voice acting is good, whereas I just legitimately think the original art is better suited for the story.

The way story is structured I think it's safe to say that Zero Escape up until the 3rd game is very much a visual novel with adventure game elements. I think storytelling techniques is more important in calling something a VN than gameplay elements or lack of them.
Hmm, I guess I see what you're saying but I don't really agree. When it comes to video game genres I tend to define them by the gameplay mechanics moreso than story structure. Plus like I said I guess I'm old. When people said "visual novel" twelve years ago, they never meant something with puzzles or gameplay mechanics.

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Hmm, I guess I see what you're saying but I don't really agree. When it comes to video game genres I tend to define them by the gameplay mechanics moreso than story structure. Plus like I said I guess I'm old. When people said "visual novel" twelve years ago, they never meant something with puzzles or gameplay mechanics.
I mean, VNs with gameplay elements aren't anything new. Stuff like Divi-Dead and Yu-No from a hundred years ago have them to some extent, even if it's simply navigating the map dungeon crawler style. Besides, how do we separate VNs with branching paths and kinetic novels without any sort of choice then? What would be a real VN among them?

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I mean, VNs with gameplay elements aren't anything new. Stuff like Divi-Dead and Yu-No from a hundred years ago have them to some extent, even if it's simply navigating the map dungeon crawler style. Besides, how do we separate VNs with branching paths and kinetic novels without any sort of choice then? What would be a real VN among them?

I don't think creating a difference between visual novels with choices and ones without choices is needed, as that's less of a large difference than there being gameplay like puzzle solving and dungeon crawling. For what it's worth wikipedia, citing an ANN article from 2006, notes that in Japan they do distinctly refer to games without those gameplay elements as visual novels and ones with them as adventure games, but that distinction is often ignored in the West. Which I guess is kind of what I was saying too. I think 999 is an adventure game, not a visual novel. Though I cannot speak for if that sort of distinction is still used in Japan today, I do think it's weird we've basically abandoned the term "adventure game" for these sorts of things when we used it in the 90s.

Not that I meant to derail your thread with this, I just legitimately wasn't sure what you were looking for. But it seems like maybe either?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are some people not reading the OP? Steins; Gate and especially Umineko aren't short lol, like I love the latter but it's not something I'd recommend if you want to avoid bloat (it's a 100+ hour VN after all) and Steins; Gate is pretty notorious for having a slow start. Plus unless something different happens in the Answer arcs Umineko doesn't have a flow chart.

To recommend something though I'd recommend Raging Loop.

OP
OP
Rosenkrantz

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I don't think creating a difference between visual novels with choices and ones without choices is needed, as that's less of a large difference than there being gameplay like puzzle solving and dungeon crawling. For what it's worth wikipedia, citing an ANN article from 2006, notes that in Japan they do distinctly refer to games without those gameplay elements as visual novels and ones with them as adventure games, but that distinction is often ignored in the West. Which I guess is kind of what I was saying too. I think 999 is an adventure game, not a visual novel. Though I cannot speak for if that sort of distinction is still used in Japan today, I do think it's weird we've basically abandoned the term "adventure game" for these sorts of things when we used it in the 90s.

Not that I meant to derail your thread with this, I just legitimately wasn't sure what you were looking for. But it seems like maybe either?
I think there's a big difference, gameplay wise, between Japanese adventure games (in a western sense of a word) like Glass Rose or Shadow of Memories (I think it's the name) or FromSoft's Echo Night series and what refers to as ADV on VNDB. Classic western P&Cs have a very distinctive gameplay mechanics, so, in that sense calling something like Danganronpa an adventure game would be a misnomer imo.

No worries, I love good discussion.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it personally, but I've heard You and Me and Her: A Love Story is quite good. Definitely one of those VNs you shouldn't google *at all*. Length is apparently 10-30 hours.
store.steampowered.com

YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story on Steam

YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story is the visual novel medium in its purest form. Will Shinichi choose Miyuki, the beautiful queen bee of the school, or the endearingly awkward misfit Aoi? With art by Tsuji Santa, these beautifully rendered romances will stay with you forever.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
There are many great visual novels, but from the top of my head I would recommend the Zero Escape series (especially the first two games 999 and VLN. VLN is my is my absolute favorite. Phi! <3) and 428. The latter is funny, quirky and just mad fun. 999 and VLN might actually blow your mind. Overall great stories!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Muv-Luv trilogy. If there's one visual novel you have to do, it's this one.

Also check Umineko.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I think Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick are the best visual novels out there, but they're mostly linear and have no flow charts. In this case I'd recommend Steins;Gate and Zero Escape.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

The premise is already something, but the game gets even more bizarre in some of the routes.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I get people love Muv-Luv, Umineko etc. but man they do NOT fit OP's criteria lol.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
A short experience I always recommend to people that want to get into Visual Novels is "To the Moon".
The story is good, I enjoyed it a lot, it's not too much anime mindfvck for once, just a sweet little melancholic romp.
The presentation also makes it a bit more interactive than your standard virtual comic book VN, you also play a little puzzle mini game to unlock flashbacks and progress in the story. I saw people get really frustrated by the puzzle game, not sure why honestly, it's not exactly tricky.
The mini games in DanganRonpa were sooooo much more awful than the tiny little origami puzzles in To The Moon.
It's completely linear, but I still think you should check it out.

Also throwing in a recommendation for "Raging Loup" as a more recent VN I enjoyed.

Did you play AI: Somnium Files already? Excellent game, hard recommendation for Uchikoshi fans.
(TALK ABOUT FRUSTRATING MINIGAMES THOUGH OH BOY)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
The first Zero Escape game is short compared to some of the other titles being suggested in here. The PS4. Steam, and Vita double pack with 999 and Virtue's Last Reward give 999 voice acting, a flow chart, and some modified content to work around the game no longer being on the DS.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it personally, but I've heard You and Me and Her: A Love Story is quite good. Definitely one of those VNs you shouldn't google *at all*. Length is apparently 10-30 hours.
store.steampowered.com

YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story on Steam

YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story is the visual novel medium in its purest form. Will Shinichi choose Miyuki, the beautiful queen bee of the school, or the endearingly awkward misfit Aoi? With art by Tsuji Santa, these beautifully rendered romances will stay with you forever.
Oh yeah, this game is in English now! I wouldn't say it suits OP's criteria, but it is a game worth knowing the name of for sure. It's weird, because I can't speak strongly about it as either great or terrible, but I'd without a doubt include it on a list "notable VNs" or similar. At the very least, I'm sure it'll be remembered by fans of the genre (and creators within it) for many years to come.

It's definitely nowhere near 30 hours long though, 10 is about how long it took me to "complete" it (as far as that applies to this game). Of course, reading speed varies, but given that it's full voice and I played it on auto-read 90% of the time, I can't see it taking more than 15 hours at the absolute most. And because of its format, you won't be playing it more than once.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
I had no idea Totono was just released in English. I'm getting that ASAP. Thank you everyone for recommending it!

As for the OP, I'd recommend:

No bloat, around 3 hours long. Best emotional rollercoaster I had this year. OST is also great.
And it's free.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had no idea Totono was just released in English. I'm getting that ASAP. Thank you everyone for recommending it!

As for the OP, I'd recommend:

No bloat, around 3 hours long. Best emotional rollercoaster I had this year. OST is also great.
And it's free.

Had never heard of this - thanks!