• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just saying it's not necessarily up to PC gating Atlus here, all depends on Aquaplus or whoever owns the IP

YesManKablam

Oct 31, 2017
I noticed that the /VG/ Recommendations chart hasn't been linked, so here it is for future reference.

latest

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd highly recommend looking games up on VNDB first before playing. Not to excuse the chart, its just a general note for anyone reading here.
Yes, seconded. Wish they'd also specify which of these are available on Steam- that'd be valuable information and it might drive someone to try a VN that they perhaps otherwise wouldn't.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Played:
-Zero escape Series
-Danganronpa 1 and 2
-AA Series
-Ever17
-Steins;Gate
-The House in Fata Morgana

I'm considering fate-stay(despite watching all anime stuff related) and whatever else new(ataraxia or something). I also am considering Umineko.

Out of all of the ones I have played I think the best ones(to me) are: Zeros Escape VLR, Phoenix Wright T&T, Ever17, House in Fata Morgana.

I actually think these games stand so far above the rest of the games in this industry in terms of story, it definitely can't be coincidence that they are novels as opposed to traditional gameplay heavy games.

Any recommendations?

You could try Sharnoth. Umineko is also more in line with the stuff you have read (no ero), but It's incredibly divisive on the top of being long as hell.

Sharnoth could definitely get more love, you never see it mentioned in recommendations. :(

I've very vague memory about Umineko's ending, but I remember absolutely hating the very last episode so much that I dropped chiru's rating from 9.0 to 4.0 (first 4 episodes are still rated as 9 on my VNDB profile). It's hard to argue against it when I don't even remember why I didn't like it so much however.

So now I remember the series as the perfect example of the worst payoff I ever experienced in VN medium. I don't think I ever dropped score for something this much. Which is funny considering later I've read Higurashi and it's in my top 3 along with ML Alternative and Majikoi. Even disregarding the ending I far prefer more grounded setting of Higurashi with less "magic" thrown into your face.

I think Ep. 8 is really badly paced on the top of being really a chore go through unless you enjoy the 800 magical fights. Zzzz.

R07's in-game rants about how the readers don't geeeeeet it are also hilarious. Manga is how he should have done it, he actually addressed the core issues people had with Beatrice's character and everyone was cool with the reveals. Pretty good.

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I would say something about the lack of a certain company on the chart, but that's fine.

I'm more surprised at the lack of Shuffle!. It was the best selling VN in the west for the longest time, and I'd recommend it as a great starter VN.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. To be honest, I'm a little worried, Fata felt so complete and satisfying and everything came together so nicely that I can't even begin to imagine what more the story could be hiding.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
We've got an official discord! quote this post for the link

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Vylash BTW, have you considered submitting this thread for a Community Spotlight? I'd be happy to see the genre get a bit more exposure :)
taken care of, friend

Last edited:

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! After playing VA-11 Hall-A and DDLC earlier this year, I'm thinking about trying to get back into the genre a bit.

Here are some VN's and VN-like games I've played (I generally enjoyed titles near the top more than titles near the bottom):
VA-11 Hall-A
Ghost Trick
Katawa Shoujo
Doki Doki Literature Club
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Zero Escape
Ace Attorney 1 and 2
Danganronpa 1

Of the ones I've played, I probably like VA-11 Hall-A the most - its themes about young adulthood resonated strongly with me.
Ghost Trick had fun characters and a really nice overall redemption plot.
Katawa Shoujo had great characters (I liked some characters' arcs way more than other characters').
Hotel Dusk had interesting characters and story
Um, I guess characters are really important for me to like a VN
I liked 999 and Doki Doki not so much because of the character writing, but because of the way they integrated their medium into the plot.
Oh yeah I also played a bunch of Christine Love games - Digital: A Love Story, the one where you're a teacher and spy on your students' texts, Analogue: A Hate Story. Digital is really good, and I also enjoyed Analogue quite a bit.

I've tried to get into Fate Stay Night and Clannad before, but I bounced off super hard.

I've heard a lot of praise for The House in Fata Morgana, and I'm interested. I've asked someone about it on the Falcom discord once already, but what makes it so good? Any other recommendations?

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
First of all I'd highly suggest making Ace Attorney 3 and Danganronpa 2 your biggest priorities, after that I'd say play root double

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Utawarerumono Mask of Deception. I have some gripes with the game but I loved it overall. I should receive Mask of Truth next week, can't wait for this, the ending was brutal.
Btw, is there a point to those post-game battles? They're pretty fun but I'm not sure if I want to do them all before playing the sequel.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I swear there's something bugged with alerts from community threads.

Anyways, I finished the Fatamoru manga and the art is fucking amazing. The Kindle version (the app at least, the full volume) has some issues right now though,(edit: supposedly fixed). Kobo version is fine both on ereaders and the app. It's beautiful, guys, I'm not exeggerating.

Kobo has $5 credit for every new registration, so that's a way for you to get the entire volume for 2 bucks if you're hesitant (the VN is still far superior in its presentation in my opinion, but this is as good as a manga could hope to be). (Tangentially, I get $10 credit if you're in the US and I refer you so it would make me very happy if you pm'd me before creating a Kobo account.)

We've got an official discord! quote this post for the link

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
taken care of, friend

Gracias.

I've heard a lot of praise for The House in Fata Morgana, and I'm interested. I've asked someone about it on the Falcom discord once already, but what makes it so good? Any other recommendations?

If I may be so brief, it has the singular greatest presentation, soundtrack and characterization I've seen in perhaps any medium (has an incredibly well-executed thematic message to boot). It's the closest VN to perfection, for my money. I have a slightly longer rant about it here

There's a content advisory out there you might want to check, and do check out the previously linked demo if you're hesitant, which is really long for a demo.

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Utawarerumono Mask of Deception. I have some gripes with the game but I loved it overall. I should receive Mask of Truth next week, can't wait for this, the ending was brutal.
Btw, is there a point to those post-game battles? They're pretty fun but I'm not sure if I want to do them all before playing the sequel.
Only if you want the Platinum or a way to max some characters for a couple items in Mask of Truth.

Deleted member 2585

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I downloaded the demo for Fata Morgana, and I'll check out some of the other ones y'all recommended.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I've never reported a Kickstarter but I'm really tempted to with this nonexistent Root Double port. I've backed a couple projects that have gone nearly a year without updates, but in most of those cases there's at least some sort of communication elsewhere.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I've never reported a Kickstarter but I'm really tempted to with this nonexistent Root Double port. I've backed a couple projects that have gone nearly a year without updates, but in most of those cases there's at least some sort of communication elsewhere.

Every time I remember it I just get annoyed. Sekai Project puts out some good stuff but their Kickstarter handling is completely unprofessional.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
They've bungled the majority of their Kickstarters when it comes to fulfilling rewards, but not saying anything since a brief March update saying it is in QA is low even for them.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I've back almost all of SP's projects (I do it for the goods) and this is typical. Reporting prob won't do much, and I'm sure people out there have already made tons of reports.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking Sekai kickstarters.

I'm worried for NarKarma...

By the way, the Fata Morgana manga should be fixed on Kindle now (you can get it there, or Kobo, or Comixology, I think). Again, 5 stars, amazing stuff, but play the VN beforehand for the even better art + the music.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Sekai kickstarters.

I'm worried for NarKarma...

By the way, the Fata Morgana manga should be fixed on Kindle now (you can get it there, or Kobo, or Comixology, I think). Again, 5 stars, amazing stuff, but play the VN beforehand for the even better art + the music.

Are all the chapters out or just the first?

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are all the chapters out or just the first?
The first volume (5 chapters).

As for where exactly in the plot it comes to... (vague Fatamoru spoilers)
It goes through the entirety of the first Door, then goes quite a bit into the second. (The first Door is done in 3 episodes.)

I think there's four volumes in total, but don't quote me on that one.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
The first volume (5 chapters).

As for where exactly in the plot it comes to... (vague Fatamoru spoilers)
It goes through the entirety of the first Door, then goes quite a bit into the second. (The first Door is done in 3 episodes.)

I think there's four volumes in total, but don't quote me on that one.

Do we know when it'll all be out?

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a bunch, I don't give a toss about platinums so I don't think I'll spend too much time on this.
If you're at all curious about what the battles involve:

It's a series of battles that eventually get pretty challenging, ending with a sparring match against Munechika and her forces.
Nothing major, just some fun "what if" battles and a few unique enemies.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know when it'll all be out?
Don't know. A Requiem For Innocence will probably come out before the rest of the volumes though, seeing as it is 100% translated. The translator and editor for both are the same, so we might see the rest of the volumes come out quicker since Requiem came out now.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Are you a witch cause they just sent an update that was, like, all about the Vita port.