• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buzzi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, another big guy went down: finished MLA.

On one hand, it is probably the one title which better lived up to my expectations built upon high votes and popular opinions. On the other hand, when it had to raise the bar and become a masterpiece it went into safe mode
everyone dies 5 minutes after its death flag...

The lore was beautiful though, and the ost well matched the action. And yes, that visual presentation :0
Now, does it make sense to go deeper with spinoffs and side material or Alternative is the one and only peak? Also considering somewhen in the next century the Codex will be out for backers...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
MLA's visual presentation is truly special. I can't think of another VN that turns the screen window into a stage.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Important question : is there a way to play Banshee's Last Cry outside of iOS ? It was a big reason for me to get an iphone a few months ago, then I upgraded to iOS11 without thinking and I can't even continue my playthrough because Aksys Games didn't upgrade to 64 bits. The website says it's on android but I can't find it at all so I'm pretty sure they never did an android version.

I am livid, I was interested in that game for years and I can't play it when the app is still in my phone.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Now, does it make sense to go deeper with spinoffs and side material or Alternative is the one and only peak

While the side stuff is not bad (Euro Front, The Day After...), I regret to inform you that the vast majority of it is untranslated :(

If you are really thirsty for more Muv Luv you could watch the couple of animes that were made (Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken), but... keep your expectations low, they are pretty low budget.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Fata Morgana was beautiful, I'm insanely hyped for NarKarma and pretty much anything that Novectacle releases on the future.

Could we hope for a worlwide release for NarKarma? Or at least to get it not much after the japanese launch?

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I finished Muv luv alternative and I can't believe how much i love it!
I thought Muv luv extra/unlimited were ok/mediocre,but MLA was awesome,and the jump in quality is pretty insane.
If anyone hasn't jumped in yet,i strongly recommend it.

Oct 27, 2017
MLA's visual presentation is truly special. I can't think of another VN that turns the screen window into a stage.
The recently released Chaos;Child is as close as I've seen, attempting to use actual framing, moving around and focusing on background shots during exposition, making use of closeups, and keeping the character sprites moving around the screen. It's not half as animated as Muv-Luv is about it, especially during action, but it does keep things more visually interesting.

On a completely different note, I'm curious whether anyone's had a chance to read the official release of Little Busters yet and comment on the localization. I gather they held it back a few months to fix technical issues and do another editing pass. What I can pick apart from Steam screenshots isn't completely free of awkwardness but it looks a lot better, at least, than the footage released a couple months ago. About average for VNs, anyway. That footage was dicey enough that I'm still wary, though. As much as I want to at least give it a shot, if it's going to descend into hyperliteral nonsense I'd rather just stay away.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's getting a Steam release in a few days, i hope more people will try Eiyuu Senki, one of my favorite VNs, i mean how can you not? look at these designs!

4758-1619763149.png

5688-518051545.png

latest

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Now that it's getting a Steam release in a few days, i hope more people will try Eiyuu Senki, one of my favorite VNs, i mean how can you not? look at these designs!

4758-1619763149.png

5688-518051545.png

latest

I still can't believe so little people tried the game on the PS3, it was the perfect swan song for the platform. I was obsessed with the game back then, I wish Fruitbat Factory released the Vita port with a physical LRG release to boot.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe so little people tried the game on the PS3, it was the perfect swan song for the platform. I was obsessed with the game back then, I wish Fruitbat Factory released the Vita port with a physical LRG release to boot.
all ages digital only on a console was always gonna be a tough sell, but with an 18+ pc release and a steam release I'm hoping it gets the attention it deserves, especially so we can get the sequel

Oct 27, 2017
London
Anyone else tried this free otome VN on Steam called Cinderella Phenomenon? It has really good reviews. I'm playing it so far and it seems interesting so far. Normally I have a low opinion of free games other than Katawa Shoujo which I love.

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
Roughly 11 hours into a playthrough of The House in Fata Morgana

I don't think the story is bad but I'm not sure I'm really enjoying it? Some rambling thoughts on it so far:

It's well written, but the twists aren't very surprising. The Maid realising who she is wasn't dramatic as the game tried to make it feel, especially since it was obvious she was going to be a major character. Door 4 being made-up wasn't a surprise either as the painting literally tells you not to believe it.

Anyway, I just got to the part where they tried to leave the mansion and Morgana intereferes. I'm hoping that Morgana and her motivations are satisfying because I feel like the entire game rests upon it to make sense/have a satisfying ending.

As for things I do like!
  • The music is unlike anything else I've heard in the genre, and each piece really suits the time period its set in while still sounding like they're all linked. I think the vocals really help bring it all together.
  • I really didn't expect Yukimasa to be the beast, nor did I expect Pauline to be the other beast.
  • Michael/Giselle are really likeable, I just want them to find happiness.
I'm looking forward to learning more about Michelle and how/why she was resurrected in each story. And who/what Morgana is.

Did anyone else get burnt by the timed choice? I was trying to save the game when it decided I took too long to respond. Luckily my previous save wasn't too far back, but... that could have been annoying.

YesManKablam

Oct 31, 2017
I started Eiyuu Senki.

q9RvrCf.jpg

Didn't think the EU was around like 500 years ago.

AbkAauN.jpg

I.....maybe geography isn't their strong suit?

vxwyQcd.jpg

Oh Jesus.

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Hello there! Pretty "casual" VN reader here (played through the AA series, 999 and VLR). I've been interested in some VN series for some time, namely Higurashi, Umineko and Fate Stay/Night, but I know I just won't be able to sit in front of my computer and read them for dozens of hours. I tried to play Danganronpa on PC but I couldn't get into it because I feel like a computer screen isn't made for these kind of games. So I was wondering if there's any way to read those novels on an Android phone?

YesManKablam

Oct 31, 2017
Hello there! Pretty "casual" VN reader here (played through the AA series, 999 and VLR). I've been interested in some VN series for some time, namely Higurashi, Umineko and Fate Stay/Night, but I know I just won't be able to sit in front of my computer and read them for dozens of hours. I tried to play Danganronpa on PC but I couldn't get into it because I feel like a computer screen isn't made for these kind of games. So I was wondering if there's any way to read those novels on an Android phone?

Yes and no. Some games have mobile ports and some games have a thing called the VNDS Interpreter. It's a system for converting certain specific VNs to work on the Nintendo DS. That has been ported to android. So you'd be reading a PC VN ported to a DS ported to a phone. It.....works.

There's also desktop streaming options, where it's like remote play on PS4 or something but from your PC to any device. I've never bothered with those as they're honestly a bit too much.I know there's a new service that allows you to remotely connect to a PC on a server farm and run games off that, so you could local co-op with friends over the internet, but I don't remember the name of it and I don't know if it works with android.

So yeah, I bought a GPD Win because I do a fair bit of travel and the options for just using my phone are limited. Computer screens are honestly fine for these games.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington

Mahou Tsukai no Yoru back when it was first released really impressed me in the way it handled its visual direction. While I wasn't a fan of the story, it gives me high hopes of the Tsukihime remake (that will never come).

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mahou Tsukai no Yoru back when it was first released really impressed me in the way it handled its visual direction. While I wasn't a fan of the story, it gives me high hopes of the Tsukihime remake (that will never come).
That game is in my backlog and I've heard plenty of good things about its visual direction. Excited to try it out one day.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I FINALLY got my WAS soundtrack in today. Not sure if there was supposed to be a digital version of it too, but whatever. At least that's one Kickstarter that has been completed and I can scratch off the (huge) list :x

Vivian

Oct 26, 2017
England
Utawarerumono remake announced, with the engine and art style of Mask of Deception/Mask of Truth. Releases 26/4/2018 in Japan on PS4/Vita.

Now we just need to pray for it to get the same localisation treatment as the sequels.

Oct 26, 2017
Utawarerumono remake announced, with the engine and art style of Mask of Deception/Mask of Truth. Releases 26/4/2018 in Japan on PS4/Vita.

Now we just need to pray for it to get the same localisation treatment as the sequels.
Doesn't look like anything is being changed/added story-wise, otherwise I'd be all over this if I didn't play the psp port last year to set up for 2-1/2-2. Also there's a 30k yen LE lol

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be all over newer Utawarerumono games and the remake if it came out on PC. I've Vita, but I don't like playing on it and more importantly prices are much higher there than on Steam (thanks to regional pricing).

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope the Switch eventualky becomes the go to console for visual novel games. It's perfect for it and I'm holding out on Danganronpa 3 to be announced for it. These games need to be portable.
Does Sony have any pull in the decision?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

Awesome news! Really hoping for a localization for this, and it would be fitting to have the entire trilogy on the systems...

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding playing VNs on Switch, I'm hoping for the rainway app ending up as good as it seems and being released at the Nintendo store.

I'm currently using the moonlight android app to play via my steam games on my tablet, and it's great.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Well, guess that's an excuse to not play the sequel games till next year (or the year after...) then. Gonna be weird if we get it PS4 only but I'll deal if needed.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I will Day 1 that the day it's announced for localization (which it totally will!) Just need to find time to beat the other two >_>

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I... I just realized something.
45.jpg
32109.jpg

Same bloody voice actress.
(I spent 50+ hours in Fate and 100+ hours in Umineko. Never made the connection till now)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
My shocking VA surprise:
When I realized that
sachiko.jpg

Sounded familiar and turned out to be
Bl3vPK5IAAADYEF.jpg

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I really hope it gets localised, its fan translation wasn't great infortunately.

Lowlander2

Nov 7, 2017
Australia
You can probably tell by my avvy which horse I back the most, but I do have a glut of visual novels I bought in various Steam sales I've yet to touch! (Actually I think my friend bought me Root Double which is especially bad form I've let it sit there :( )

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So i've been playing Flowers, and despite it being really, really good (Such good art and music...) does anyone find Suoh's personality...to be highly unusual for a Yuri protagonist? Her favorite movies are fricken Shawshank Redemption and Gladiator, pretty strange for a VN character in general.

Still, it's very cute seeing her really flustered and kinda turned on by cute girls in leotards. I hope it's quality remains in the other chapters.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
This blew my mind when I first learned about it. I never looked at Pikachu the same way again.

Around the time that I played the first game, there was a new character in the Pokemon anime that the VA also did. So when I played CP, I kept feeling it sounded familiar... Then I realized that they were the same voice... but not just that, it was Pikachu's voice! Mind blown.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

Uh, interesting, I actually planned to start the series at one point, but I wonder if it's worth waiting now. No chance of a PC port, eh?