• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if I'll even get the promised booklet? I was backtracking and looking at the order. Looks like there is the huge 200 page booklet (for only like $400 pledges...) and the booklet, so if you pledge at least the physical edition, you would get it too.

Time to cross my fingers for my physical game, OST, and booklet to arrive... SOME DAY!

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I wonder if I'll even get the promised booklet? I was backtracking and looking at the order. Looks like there is the huge 200 page booklet (for only like $400 pledges...) and the booklet, so if you pledge at least the physical edition, you would get it too.

Time to cross my fingers for my physical game, OST, and booklet to arrive... SOME DAY!
The booklet came with my physical edition. Everything was in order.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...yotsunoha-visual-novel-2-light-novels/.130237

New Sol Press announcements (including digital light novels).

EDIT:
Also, Sekai stuff exist!! Shipping out this month.

Dahd6JYUMAAUrqe.jpg

I guess Narcissu stuff is getting put together too.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Heaven Will Be Mine is May too. So there's this, that, and then I'm surely gonna be still working through at least 1 if not 3 of Chaos;Child, Future Blessings, and Psychedelica... I'll drown under VNs.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

So what was this again?

Have yet to even finish the original Fata Morgana, though. Really wish I could get it on iPad or linux (have a tiny thinkpad with Linux Mint, good for bed computering). I'm starting to find it increasingly hard to focus on reading long visual novels or books on my desktop computer. Even tried playing via remote desktop on the iPad, but it was unfortunately pretty laggy and low quality.

When I tried to install Fata Morgana on the linux laptop it said something about steam remote play which I have yet to try. Maybe I should check it out soon.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what was this again?

Have yet to even finish the original Fata Morgana, though. Really wish I could get it on iPad or linux (have a tiny thinkpad with Linux Mint, good for bed computering). I'm starting to find it increasingly hard to focus on reading long visual novels or books on my desktop computer. Even tried playing via remote desktop on the iPad, but it was unfortunately pretty laggy and low quality.

When I tried to install Fata Morgana on the linux laptop it said something about steam remote play which I have yet to try. Maybe I should check it out soon.
Have you tried running it on your laptop using WINE? I'd imagine that it would be fairly easy to run VNs that way.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried running it on your laptop using WINE? I'd imagine that it would be fairly easy to run VNs that way.

I remember taking a quick look at wine and when I couldn't get Steam to boot in like 5 minutes, I gave up, haha. But yeah, good idea, I should probably try it again.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Funny timing to duck my head back into this thread lol. I think I'm approaching the actual end of The House in Fata Morgana.

The game has been pretty awesome, almost entirely living up to the expectations that people have set, but I'm increasingly feeling that it's slightly undercut by the fact that it's a visual novel. Of all the VNs I've played (which to be fair, is... ten?), this one makes the weakest case for it to exist in this medium. The visuals are vague and often bland, the music has gotten better but has been largely forgettable, and it's far and away the least "interactive" of any VN I've played. Maybe my feelings will change once I'm done, but it really feels like this story would have been better served as an actual novel, or as some hybrid novel-radio drama-thing without any pretense of interaction or player-dictated pacing.

But yeah, having said that, the storytelling fucking rocks. It's so good.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Funny timing to duck my head back into this thread lol. I think I'm approaching the actual end of The House in Fata Morgana.

The game has been pretty awesome, almost entirely living up to the expectations that people have set, but I'm increasingly feeling that it's slightly undercut by the fact that it's a visual novel. Of all the VNs I've played (which to be fair, is... ten?), this one makes the weakest case for it to exist in this medium. The visuals are vague and often bland, the music has gotten better but has been largely forgettable, and it's far and away the least "interactive" of any VN I've played. Maybe my feelings will change once I'm done, but it really feels like this story would have been better served as an actual novel, or as some hybrid novel-radio drama-thing without any pretense of interaction or player-dictated pacing.

But yeah, having said that, this fucking rocks. It's so good.

I'm very happy you're playing it and enjoying it and have gotten far in, but if you'll permit me to be a little pretentious - it might just be what VNs you've played before, but I wouldn't say this sounds like an issue of a "pretense of interaction" happening as much as a disconnect of expectations? There's plenty of VNs that are "interactive" to the same degree - just choices (though admittedly they're extra minor here) and advancing text - and so just having that's not really out of line with what the medium is; anything else is really just "extra", in a way. Though maybe it'd be more accurate to say this is part of the problem with Japanese "adventure" games being mixed with pure VNs under the same term when we discuss them in English, hmm.

I also think the art is very good (I definitely would not call that style bland at all) and the soundtrack is both fantastic and very memorable, but that's more personal taste, hah.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
So yesterday I completed Chaos;Child on my PSVITA... I'm not really sure I understood correctly the plot, did really all the murder happened because of... damn how do i use the spoiler here? XD But I wasn't convinced completely by the explanation... also the game became so dark and gory at a certain point... unexpected...
I kinda enjoyed it, but my favourite remain Steins Gate by a lot.
Now going to see all the endings following a guide.
Next one on the list is the Psycho Pass VN got free with the PSPlus, but I don't know if so soon...

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
So yesterday I completed Chaos;Child on my PSVITA... I'm not really sure I understood correctly the plot, did really all the murder happened because of... damn how do i use the spoiler here? XD But I wasn't convinced completely by the explanation... also the game became so dark and gory at a certain point... unexpected...
I kinda enjoyed it, but my favourite remain Steins Gate by a lot.
Now going to see all the endings following a guide.
It sounds like you just finished the common route.
There's still loads of game before you.
(And yes, you understood the plot correctly)

Oct 28, 2017

Alright guys, I'm here to shill for WILL: A Wonderful World, an amazing VN I only learned existed about today and that is a goddamn TRAGEDY.

It's a Chinese developed VN released with no english version that, apparently about a month ago with little to no fanfare, received an English translation. It features a ton of great art, an amazing and snappy visual style and a really cool central concept. The best way I can describe it is a visual novel with some light deduction elements; think sorta similar to Ace Attorney games. You play the role of some benevolent god that tries to answer people's prayers by literally rewriting people's wishes to change the outcome of events.

The first like 30 minutes are pretty boring and the only driving force is the novelty of the gameplay sections as you start off by intervening in mundane shit like helping someone make a commute or something but it quickly shifts into some really, REALLY heavy and disturbing themes and the suspense is really great as well. I'm about 5 hours in and the story looks like it's nowhere near even nearing the end, and the ensemble cast is really strong. Some of the characters you rapidly become attached to as you try to solve their problems big and small... and some of the characters you help are complete scumbags but even that keeps the story interesting. The story also depends alot on mood whiplash, from one scene you're trying to help develop a (not entirely healthy) relationship and then the next scene is all murder and torture.

The actual minute to minute gameplay is like 90% experimentation and 10% deduction. For every given "scene" you are given a few phrases (usually no more than 4) for which you can shuffle or reorder around to change the order of events. You try out different combinations until you find out the phrase that gets you the "good" ending for that scene. There's usually a large number of bad or even secret endings per scene that can be fun to search for. The "correct" order of events is usually obvious with a bit of critical thinking but there's also alot of fun to be had in deliberately trying to screw things up to see what happens.

It's also helped by a strong sound track and a really slick presentation. The translation quality isn't professional grade, but it's not bad either, like good fan-translation level of quality.

It may not be one of the best VNs I've ever played but it's by far one of the most original, and a reminder that VNs can be more than just picking multiple choice dialogues. The closest game that I can think of that shares some of the "feel" of this game is Analogue: A Hate Story or some of the other games Christine Love has made, in many ways it feels very much like those games in how it combines a bright a happy aesthetic with some super-duper heavy themes like in those games.

As a fair warning to those who play, the game starts off by warning you there are some scary moments in this game. I thought they meant it'd go all DDLC on you and hit you with jump scares but there's none of that at all and it's more for the really oppressive atmosphere in some of the darker scenes in this game. It also deals with graphic depictions and discussions on suicide, stalking, murder, rape and all sorts of tragedies so be forewarned.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Alright guys, I'm here to shill for WILL: A Wonderful World, an amazing VN I only learned existed about today and that is a goddamn TRAGEDY.

It's a Chinese developed VN released with no english version that, apparently about a month ago with little to no fanfare, received an English translation. It features a ton of great art, an amazing and snappy visual style and a really cool central concept. The best way I can describe it is a visual novel with some light deduction elements; think sorta similar to Ace Attorney games. You play the role of some benevolent god that tries to answer people's prayers by literally rewriting people's wishes to change the outcome of events.

The first like 30 minutes are pretty boring and the only driving force is the novelty of the gameplay sections as you start off by intervening in mundane shit like helping someone make a commute or something but it quickly shifts into some really, REALLY heavy and disturbing themes and the suspense is really great as well. I'm about 5 hours in and the story looks like it's nowhere near even nearing the end, and the ensemble cast is really strong. Some of the characters you rapidly become attached to as you try to solve their problems big and small... and some of the characters you help are complete scumbags but even that keeps the story interesting. The story also depends alot on mood whiplash, from one scene you're trying to help develop a (not entirely healthy) relationship and then the next scene is all murder and torture.

The actual minute to minute gameplay is like 90% experimentation and 10% deduction. For every given "scene" you are given a few phrases (usually no more than 4) for which you can shuffle or reorder around to change the order of events. You try out different combinations until you find out the phrase that gets you the "good" ending for that scene. There's usually a large number of bad or even secret endings per scene that can be fun to search for. The "correct" order of events is usually obvious with a bit of critical thinking but there's also alot of fun to be had in deliberately trying to screw things up to see what happens.

It's also helped by a strong sound track and a really slick presentation. The translation quality isn't professional grade, but it's not bad either, like good fan-translation level of quality.

It may not be one of the best VNs I've ever played but it's by far one of the most original, and a reminder that VNs can be more than just picking multiple choice dialogues. The closest game that I can think of that shares some of the "feel" of this game is Analogue: A Hate Story or some of the other games Christine Love has made, in many ways it feels very much like those games in how it combines a bright a happy aesthetic with some super-duper heavy themes like in those games.

As a fair warning to those who play, the game starts off by warning you there are some scary moments in this game. I thought they meant it'd go all DDLC on you and hit you with jump scares but there's none of that at all and it's more for the really oppressive atmosphere in some of the darker scenes in this game. It also deals with graphic depictions and discussions on suicide, stalking, murder, rape and all sorts of tragedies so be forewarned.

I saw it at TGS 2 years ago and had been wondering since then what happened to it, since it seemed neat. Was glad to see it finally come out in English but then nobody seemed to try it. So I'd been looking forward to impressions of it; it's good to hear that you're liking it! It's in my backlog but... that's a very long backlog currently, given what's coming out during this first half of the year.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Koropokkur in Love reached the first stretch goal as they started collecting pledges and add-ons and upgrades through backerkit:
First Stretch Goal Reached!
Posted by Kouryuu (Collaborator)
Thank you so much!

It's been an exciting couple weeks as we've started collecting pledges, upgrades, and add-ons through Backerkit, watching the total amount funded climbing even higher, creeping ever closer to that first stretch goal mark, and now we've crossed the line into $40,000 raised for Koropokkur ~ A Little Fairy's Tale~!

• Raised on Kickstarter: $37,093.00
  • Raised on BackerKit: $3,227.00
  • Total Raised: $40,320.00!!
Multi-platform & Dual Language Support!
With the achievement of this stretch goal, we can now port Koropokkur over to the Unity engine! This is likely going to push the final game's delivery date back a little as we port everything over, but it also means we'll be able to offer native support for Koropokkur on Linux and Mac systems!

In addition to the multi-platform support, this port also means we'll be able to adapt the dual-language support we've integrated into our Higurashi When They Cry releases, allowing you to switch between English and Japanese on the fly (via the in-game menu or hotkey) while reading and enjoying Koropokkur.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
New Higurashi chapter on horizon!!!

No, obviously I'm not talking about #5, that's still years off. But the 07th-mod team has finished translating Tsukiotoshi, and are currently 12% through editing.

Oct 28, 2017

Alright, I just finished the game. It's about 12 hours to 100% and like 9 hours to beat till the ending. All in all, it's really quite good but is a really dark story with some serious flaws. I can say right now, if you like more experimental narrative games and games that focus more on tone than, say, stories with solid and cohesive plots I can only highly recommend this game.

I feel like talking about the story if only because I don't think anyone else has played this game. No SPECIFIC spoilers, but some general thoughts about structure and my opinion of the story including the ending, so under spoiler warning.

The framing narrative is you're a god trying to save strangers who send prayers to you, but really there's about a dozen characters you help out and they all have their own little story arcs. They sometimes interweave and interact with each other, but really there's like 3 or 4 separate story arcs that are more or less divorced from each other. There's really very little in the forms of "eureka" moments and it doesn't really serve some grand narrative, which was sorta disappointing since I thought all the different plot threads would come together.

As a result by the end of the game there's a pretty realistic mix of happy endings, sad endings and tragedies. The worst thing I can say about this game is that the story just seems... unfinished. Like, there's maybe one or two story arcs that actually feel like complete stories. One of the story arcs ends on what feels like a cliffhanger, there's a ton of dangling plot threads at the end there's one character in particular who feels so inconsequential to the story that I'm not even sure why they bothered to add him. Hell at the end they foreshadow a confrontation between the viewpoint characters in what sounds like a climax but the game just... ends before any of that stuff happens. It's a real "well life goes on" kind of deal.

The ending itself is also a bit poorly handled. Like, you reach an ending to all the other characters, whether it's good/bad or something in between. You get a literal textdump technobabble essay on how your superpowers work. Then they set up this plot about how the world is going to end and the player character and your assistant hatch some plan to save the world with one final risk trusting in the WILLPOWER OF HUMANITY, and you're all pumped up for the final climactic gameplay/puzzle section. But then the game just... ends. Anticlimactically. It doesn't even feel like a sequelbait, it seems to be intentionally ending on an anticlimax.

In many ways the central conflict of the story (ie, SAVE THE WORLD) is set up throughout most of the early game. It does this thing where you get very small spinets of the setting around the characters in the letters they are sending out and there's a very slight and hard to detect undercurrent that something is wrong with the world. Then when they actually explain the overarching central conflict of the entire story (ie, SAVE THE WORLD) it gets resolved in the span of 20 minutes. It's like if halfway through the LOTR a magpie steals the One Ring of Power and everyone just decides to go home.

So yeah, I guess I feel like the rug was pulled out from under me. I'd still say it's worth playing, but it's a whole lot of wasted potential.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, 12 hours total? That's not that long... Might try to fit it in sooner then. I'm chipping away at a lot of games/VNs right now but once I finish a couple I'll have more room, as long as it's before the middle of next month.

I'll look forward to reading your thoughts when/if I finish it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, 10-ish hours sounds perfect to me. Definitely checking it out when I'm done with Y6 and GOW.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
New Higurashi chapter on horizon!!!

No, obviously I'm not talking about #5, that's still years off. But the 07th-mod team has finished translating Tsukiotoshi, and are currently 12% through editing.
Is it worth going into the extra episodes past the first 8? I don't even remember much about the story anymore (I remember I loved it though)

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for the detailed write-up.
I've been eyeing this since it first showed up on Steam and your impressions, plus the length and price, makes getting it a no-brainer.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the inetviatable console version, I might still get this :x Is the fandisc included? Doesn't say.

Sorta weird to release it the same day without it, but it doesn't look like it includes it, particularly as it only has a Steam code for the original + its soundtrack.

I'd sorta like to buy it to support it/collection purposes (and an excuse to gift the code to a friend in the hope that they'll eventually actually play it...) but now that you've reminded me the Vita release will hopefully be a thing, I don't think I'll go for it just yet.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the physical soundtrack is also sold separately if you just want that, fwiw. You only save $5 off the combined total if you go with the bundle.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that Chuusotsu! 1st Graduation! backer steam keys (for both the game and the OST) have been sent by Fruitbat Factory.
The game is coming out in 2 days, so it's nice to receive the keys in advance.

Nov 1, 2017
Posted this in the BST thread but this thread seems more likely to get a response considering the nature of the item.

This is an offer for Dies Irae Amentes Amentes Kickstarter backers. I'd like to trade my Dies Irae Amentes Amentes First Edition tapestry for the KS Physical Cover Art tapestry. PM me if interested.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
How fast does Mangagamer stuff ship? First time using it for the Fata Morganna bundle and Umineko. Account doesn't have any order details, but payment went through. I assume give it a day or two and a shipping email will magically show up?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
How fast does Mangagamer stuff ship? First time using it for the Fata Morganna bundle and Umineko. Account doesn't have any order details, but payment went through. I assume give it a day or two and a shipping email will magically show up?
I ordered a physical copy from them last year in November on a Sunday around Black Friday time and got a shipping email the next day.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

If you ordered them together, do note that Fata Morgana will ship May 17th.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, looks like winetricks did the trick and now I can play Fata Morgana on my laptop. Time to finally continue it.

E: goddamn I love a good tragedy. Why did I wait this long to get back to it?

Last edited:

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
Received my goods from the Dies irae kickstarter. The big artbook turned out really nice.

dies_irie.jpg