• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I am fully expecting an update where they explain that they did not know that the game has to be rated by the ESRB (and European rating boards if they care to acknowledge Euope) and that a CERO rating does not work worldwide.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I am fully expecting an update where they explain that they did not know that the game has to be rated by the ESRB (and European rating boards if they care to acknowledge Euope) and that a CERO rating does not work worldwide.

Wait till they realize they have to pay for a PEGI rating...we're never getting this game in Europe.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Do they know what a Vita is? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they just released the PSP port in the West.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
LOL y'all are savage XD. I mean, not that I blame any of you - it seems like it's really been a pretty messy Kickstarter, to put it mildly...

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone use a windows tablet for PC VNs? Any recommendations or feedback about the experience?

I'm looking at a surface pro but feel like it's probably overkill if VNs are going to be my main use case.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be curious to hear that too. VNs and some light emulation would probably be all I'd do on the tablet, and I don't read that many VNs, so it'd have to be pretty cheap.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shuffle is having a 50% off sale, though I have no idea how good it is.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone use a windows tablet for PC VNs? Any recommendations or feedback about the experience?

I'm looking at a surface pro but feel like it's probably overkill if VNs are going to be my main use case.

I do! I have a cheap Windows 8 (now Windows 10) tablet that I use to play a few VNs from time to time. Honestly, PC gaming is finnicky, specially with something low specs like cheap tablets. Not all visual novels run properly, some don't even run when they clearly should, it's very hit or miss. Unless you can go big and buy a very expensive and capable tablet (like the Surface you mentioned), don't even bother.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Already have an import preorder in for Clannad. If it does end up getting localized I'll absolutely double dip.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, Prototype confirmed english support for Clannad's PS4 release:

Really can't decide if it's worth finishing the SP release on Steam or just getting it for PS4 instead...

Since we have a partnership with Mages, we want to be the number one publisher of visual novels in the West.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/2...vels-japanese-games-west/#yxbFc3p4ChgCDKck.99

Good news. Wishing them well and hopefully they'll be able to bring a bunch of stuff over.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
"Since we have a partnership with Mages, we want to be the number one publisher of visual novels in the West."

By ignoring what is still the second largest platform when it comes to visual novels? Ok werk.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
"Since we have a partnership with Mages, we want to be the number one publisher of visual novels in the West."

By ignoring what is still the second largest platform when it comes to visual novels? Ok werk.
ROI on Vita development must not be big enough.
No potential for future sales, since Sony EOLed the platform.
Switch is taking off around the world, better to focus there - less memory/CPU constraints, no need to downscale the artwork to 544p.
(You can still Moonlight/PS4Remote play to your Vita if you really need to read there)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Getting Steins;Gate Elite but not Robotics;Notes is a bad timeline...

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Time to make annoying campaign of begging so then they wil have to release it?
Before anyone does this, I know some people who had been planning to do this for months already (and almost canceled due to the "confirmation"). I think they'll be talking with one of the Spike Chunsoft PR people soon to get the go-ahead. I'll definitely post here if anything comes out of that.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Before anyone does this, I know some people who had been planning to do this for months already (and almost canceled due to the "confirmation"). I think they'll be talking with one of the Spike Chunsoft PR people soon to get the go-ahead. I'll definitely post here if anything comes out of that.

Well that's something positive, at least.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Kill Ballad lives????????

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only just now saw that Mangagamer 2018 Licensing Survey results were posted:

1. Rance Series

2. A Kiss for the Petals Series ↑5

3. White Album 2

4. Fate/Stay Night ↑6

5. Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm ↑16

6. Sakura no Uta ↑13

7. Youkoso! Sukebe Elf no Mori e NEW!

8. Diabolik Lovers Series ↓2

9. Soukou Akki Muramasa ↑15

10. Ken ga Kimi ↑14

11. Kotonoha Amrilato NEW!

12. Mahotsukai no Yoru ↓8

13. Daiteitoku ↑19

14. Aiyoku no Eustia ↓4

15. Yoshiwara Higanbana NEW!

16. Jooubachi no Oubou NEW!

17. Bunny Black Series NEW!

18. Amayui Castle Meister NEW!

19. Shin Koihime Musou ↓17

20. DRAMAtical Murder

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is it with VNs having completely stupid save/load implementations?

From the Dies Irae kickstarter regarding the promised update (my bold):
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your understanding in the last update; we will try to communicate with everyone better from now on.

This update concerns the Steam version of Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~, specifically the following points:

Problem with not being able to play the game offline
Bug with the movie volume not adjusting with the master volume setting
Fixing a part of a scene
However, this upcoming update will not include the solutions for those problems. To explain, if we change the scenario data and coding in the current game system, it will delete past saving data.

Because of this, we are currently working on a new game system that will prevent any loss of data when implementing these bug fixes. We will release an update for this in mid-April.

So please keep an eye out for the next update!

Again, thank you very much for your understanding and patience.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-localization-project-commences/posts/2149677

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with VNs having completely stupid save/load implementations?

From the Dies Irae kickstarter regarding the promised update (my bold):

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-localization-project-commences/posts/2149677

There are definitely things that can/should have been implemented to avoid this, but compared to other types of game, it's not surprising to see VNs commonly have easily breakable save systems. I have to imagine these engines weren't really made with post-release updates in mind, and so adjusting scenes could mean saves try to load lines that no longer exist, or load the wrong lines, and so on.

Obviously there are solutions to that (ex: if a scene has been changed, have it start at the beginning of a scene) but that depends on how you've structured the game in the code and that's again a thing you'd need to be prepared for in advance.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
MG with three new announcements. Go check their twitter for the first one cause I don't really care but these two are "oh cool", and "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

This release of Kindred Spirits is a full voice version with new CGs. If you already have the base game, you can purchase the upgrades as DLC. It'll also be ported to Mac and Linux!

Last edited:

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
MG with three new announcements. Go check their twitter for the first one cause I don't really care but these two are "oh cool", and "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

This release of Kindred Spirits is a full voice version with new CGs. If you already have the base game, you can purchase the upgrades as DLC. It'll also be ported to Mac and Linux!

YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! That was my main gripe with the base version (it wasn't fully voiced), glad we're getting the remake. Hopefully the upgrade wont be too expensive.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Cannot wait for the update that explains how this happened. Hopefully it happen to just a few backers.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Cannot wait for the update that explains how this happened. Hopefully it happen to just a few backers.

I assume this was some personalized shikishi or something?

I have to say I'm surprised when a company didn't know when they found out that mail systems are different globally :/ Why would you produce items if you didn't know how to ship worldwide?? That's honestly my biggest surprise. I still wait on my physical goods :x

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in the game but it's been bizarre to see how much they've flubbed this. Not knowing how to ship worldwide was like... did you do absolutely no prep for your campaign? That should have at least been heavily researched in advance even if you couldn't get plans in place till things were closer to shipping.

In other news, been sloooowly playing the first chapter of Chaos;Child over the past few weeks (so like 20 min/week for a bit and then a few hours in the past few days). Definitely getting a bit more hooked now; the main character is handled much better than Chaos;Head's so far and most of the cast are at the very least interesting. I don't like a lot of the character art (particularly the guys) but I'm sure I'll get used to it over time. The delusion triggers also feel overly frequent and sorta disruptive, but maybe that'll taper off?

On that note, I wish my memory of Chaos;Head was a bit less fuzzy; I found some summaries (like on Wikipedia and such) but they seem to completely ignore some aspects of it (like the cops) at times. I'm picking up on a decent number of references so far so I'm not sure I'm missing anything, but I wish I knew everything for certain. And am I right to think they added 2 New Gen murders in Noah? Cause I don't remember the last 2 at all.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I assume this was some personalized shikishi or something?
From someone on r/visualnovels who got someone else's reward:
7vcrYUk.jpg

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
In other news, been sloooowly playing the first chapter of Chaos;Child over the past few weeks (so like 20 min/week for a bit and then a few hours in the past few days). Definitely getting a bit more hooked now; the main character is handled much better than Chaos;Head's so far and most of the cast are at the very least interesting. I don't like a lot of the character art (particularly the guys) but I'm sure I'll get used to it over time. The delusion triggers also feel overly frequent and sorta disruptive, but maybe that'll taper off?

They will, first two chapters are full of them, rest of the game, not so much.
Also, real talk - Chaos;Child > Steins;Gate