• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Mostly
the game's attempt to "redeem" him and making him and Morgana close again as opposite to the original's more ambiguous make-of-it-what-you-want turn.

I would say that (Fata Morgana series spoilers)
was pretty much set with the fragment scene in Requiem and the accompanying short story. I mean the guy had pretty much been tormenting himself out of guilt for Millennia until Morgana rescues him. He had already begun the process of reforming. I guess he could backslide but wouldn't seem to really fit the story they were telling at the end of Requiem.

Honestly I had more problem with the story of the serial killer and his love interest.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As part of a personal project to get back into (streamlined) PC gaming, I finally fired up the first chapter of Higurashi, which went free last year. I applied the modding tools to replace the character portraits, music, lip movements, etc and the results are very impressive. Everything looks great, colorful and seamless. As mods go it's incredibly professional.

Coincidentally, the rest of the chapters are on sale right now on Steam, with the complete bundle at $28. I'm pretty tempted to get the bundle, but I'm wondering if it would be more prudent to just buy the chapters individually. According to HLTB, each chapter is nearly 12 hours in length, and I'm constantly juggling between other games as is.

How often does the bundle go on sale? Does that Steam bundle contain the complete Higurashi experience, and all of the chapters have the same mod?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the mod is complete for all 8 chapters and it even adds additional 8, console-exclusive ones.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the mod is complete for all 8 chapters and it even adds additional 8, console-exclusive ones.

Cool. Maybe I'll just get the bundle just to have it all accessible. Is that the cheapest the bundle has been?

Also, I had gotten as far as the first two chapters in The House on Fata Morgana. I put it off and was considering grabbing the Switch version, as I heard it had extra content. Does the Steam DLC have that extra content, or is Switch still going to have stuff that isn't available in the PC version at all?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Steam has both Fata Morgana and the prequel, Requiem of Innocence.
Vita, PS4 and Switch all have additionally a fully voiced sequel called Reincarnation.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'll wait for those console ports after all.

So I ended up getting the Higurashi bundle as it was on sale, and patched each chapter with the mod installer, which also includes the console chapters.

However, upon installing it I got a message that the console chapters mod would overwrite chapter 4? I found this odd since chapter 4 had its own mod along with the others. Does it insert those console chapters into chapter 4? That same mod also included a flowchart for the order in how to go through the story.

As if this wasn't confusing already, especially if I decide to go down the Umineko hole afterwards (which is also on Steam...does it have the same mod as Higurashi that inserts everything, including extra content)?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Umineko has the same mod, done by the same group.
And yes, the console chapters overwrite Chapter 4, so it's best to apply them after you finish reading it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, Umineko has the same mod, done by the same group.
And yes, the console chapters overwrite Chapter 4, so it's best to apply them after you finish reading it.

Does it outright replace Chapter 4, or just sandwiches the new content in-between?

If it's a complete replacement, then I need to first go through chapter 4 (with the standard mod) then go through it again with the console mod?

I don't get why the console mod isn't it's own thing.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it completely replaces Chapter 4.
Makes it DRM free, so you can technically install the console patch, move the install folder someplace than reinstall the game from Steam and apply the OG Ch4 patch.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it completely replaces Chapter 4.
Makes it DRM free, so you can technically install the console patch, move the install folder someplace than reinstall the game from Steam and apply the OG Ch4 patch.

Okay, I'll do that: have chapter 4 (patched) and console chapter as two separate games.

When do I play the console chapter, before or after chapter 4?

flowsnake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the console arcs don't have much relation to chapter 4. They just picked a chapter to overwrite for technical reasons.

Just read the main arcs first, they tell a complete story and are written by the same author. The others came later, were written by other people, are generally not considered as good and aren't essential to the story. With how long Higurashi is you might not even want any more after the main arcs.

If you do want more after that, you can follow the flowchart for the console arcs or watch the Gou anime which is a direct sequel written by the original author.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, I'll do that: have chapter 4 (patched) and console chapter as two separate games.

When do I play the console chapter, before or after chapter 4?
There are two options, either finish the 8 main chapters and then read the console arcs (which is recommended) or just read them in the order they'd get unlocked in the console version (there's a reading guide on github project's page).
I'd still finish 8 main arcs first if I were you, console exclusive stuff is just a bonus.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are two options, either finish the 8 main chapters and then read the console arcs (which is recommended) or just read them in the order they'd get unlocked in the console version (there's a reading guide on github project's page).
I'd still finish 8 main arcs first if I were you, console exclusive stuff is just a bonus.

I'll save it for last, thanks.

May 30, 2018
After playing through alot of VNs this past year, I think I'm settling into what 'kind' of VN I enjoy

So I've played: House of Fata Morgana (it was just reading so I actually didn't enjoy it unfortunately, was an interesting story but it's not my cup of tea)

Danganronpa series, Zero escape series, AI Somnium were all games that I really enjoyed. They had some degree of gameplay that I find made things more engaging rather than straight reading

13 Sentinels was simply my GOTY and honestly probably my GOTG for last Gen.I don't think there's another game like it on the market

I played Gnosia recently. I dropped it at first but I came back to it later. When I stopped viewing it as Mafia with AI characters and instead focused on seeing the mystery unfold, my experience improved like a hundredfold lol. I think I'd put it a tier below my favorites, very nice surprise

I started Utawarermeno Prelude to the Fallen recently. The super long slice of life stuff wouldn't bother me if I enjoyed the characters, but it feels like it's the protagonist talking to little furry girls all the time, which is kinda souring me on it. Which is unfortunate because I really enjoy the politics, worldbuilding, OST, and the SRPG parts. When there's a rapid fire succession of battles and the plot moves forward I find it very fun to binge through, but then I hit a wall when they go back to their palace and chill for so Long. Haven't finished it yet, but i don't think I'm grabbing the other 2 games tbh

Is there anything already out or on the horizon that are closer to my tastes on either Switch/PS4/PS5? Thanks in advance lol

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Does it outright replace Chapter 4, or just sandwiches the new content in-between?

If it's a complete replacement, then I need to first go through chapter 4 (with the standard mod) then go through it again with the console mod?

I don't get why the console mod isn't it's own thing.

This is a rough explanation, but the console arcs still need stuff from a regular game install to function, so it's not something they could just have you download by itself - they're still technically a mod, after all. It's a bit arbitrary that the game they used for it is 4, but that may have been the most recent one (re-)released in English when they started on those arcs, idk.

Beyond that, flowsnake said what I would have; the main series is a lot of stuff to read through as is and I think you'd be better off experiencing the story as originally intended without extra non-canon or at least only vaguely canon stuff shoved in.

Personally I was still itching for more of it after and expected I'd play some of the console arcs sooner rather than later, but I ended up just reading some of the manga spinoffs (which some of the console arcs are based on) + watching the new show. Still might start reading them before the next season though, since it'll have been a year since I started the games by that time.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
xtzPFSt.png

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm rather surprised Song of Saya is on Steam.

Apparently it's a censored version, but....how?

I mean, there is a lot of sex, and as much as I hate typing this, it is kinda integral to the story.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'd been looking forward to this on PC (well I had been), although I see their Kickstarter post is for backers only (I probably hadn't even played a VN when their Kickstarter first launched). Is there any indication in there about a Steam release?

Here's the update on the different versions:

Remaining game development will proceed in parallel with manufacturing, and each version will undergo its own individual manufacturing schedule. The general schedules are as follows:

Physical Version

• Game data: done
  • Verification of game DVD samples: in progress
  • Manufacturing of game DVD copies: planned to finish in mid-April/early May
  • Shipping of physical version: planned to start at the end of May
  • Distribution of correction patch (*): planned to start at the end of May
Digital Standalone Version

• Preparation for distribution of digital standalone version and patch development (including 18+ content patch): in progress
  • Distribution of digital rewards and correction patch (*): planned to start at the end of May
Steam Version

• Digital store preparations: in progress
  • Digital store opening: planned for April
  • Distribution on the digital store and patch distribution*: TBD
* The "correction patch" is a digital patch made to fix minor bugs found during the manufacturing process and to add 18+ content. The method of distribution and application of this patch will be announced separately.

This is all the information about the PC version we can share with you today.

The reason why the distribution schedule for the Steam version is still undecided is because there are many factors involved that are beyond the control of the project team and thus are difficult to predict, but we will do our best so that we can release it as close to the release of the physical and digital standalone versions as possible.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Fata Morgana is now available on Switch.

Any reports on performance or resolution? I see no reason why it shouldn't be 1:1 with the PC version, but I wanted to make sure.

Even though I own it on PC, doubling down on the Switch version for both the DLC and the extra chapter seems like the better choice (unless modders are already working to get that console chapter up on PC).

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I started Utawarermeno Prelude to the Fallen recently. The super long slice of life stuff wouldn't bother me if I enjoyed the characters, but it feels like it's the protagonist talking to little furry girls all the time, which is kinda souring me on it. Which is unfortunate because I really enjoy the politics, worldbuilding, OST, and the SRPG parts. When there's a rapid fire succession of battles and the plot moves forward I find it very fun to binge through, but then I hit a wall when they go back to their palace and chill for so Long. Haven't finished it yet, but i don't think I'm grabbing the other 2 games tbh

Is there anything already out or on the horizon that are closer to my tastes on either Switch/PS4/PS5? Thanks in advance lol

I liked the other two a lot more than this one, it didn't really click with me the same way. The pacing is bad with a lot of slice of life but then sudden plot, the humor is kind of bad, presentation wise it's a step down and the translation is a lot more basic and sterile.

If you like things like Danganronpa and Zero Escape you should definitely try Fatal Twelve, though it doesn't have gameplay like they do.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
After playing through alot of VNs this past year, I think I'm settling into what 'kind' of VN I enjoy

So I've played: House of Fata Morgana (it was just reading so I actually didn't enjoy it unfortunately, was an interesting story but it's not my cup of tea)

Danganronpa series, Zero escape series, AI Somnium were all games that I really enjoyed. They had some degree of gameplay that I find made things more engaging rather than straight reading

13 Sentinels was simply my GOTY and honestly probably my GOTG for last Gen.I don't think there's another game like it on the market

I played Gnosia recently. I dropped it at first but I came back to it later. When I stopped viewing it as Mafia with AI characters and instead focused on seeing the mystery unfold, my experience improved like a hundredfold lol. I think I'd put it a tier below my favorites, very nice surprise

Root Double (not to be confused with Root Letter) would probably be to your liking since you enjoyed Zero Escape and AI, but that's based on the story specifically as it's not really gameplay-focused. Same director as Ever17, which Uchikoshi wrote for in the past.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regarding Fata Morgana, now I'm reading there was a 4K release that's apparently Japanese-only on PC? Does the PS4 version run at 4K (Edit: Seems there's also a rewind feature on the PS4, not sure if the Switch version has that) ?

Wondering if I should wait until someone mods the Steam version with 4K assets and the console extras, ala Higurashi.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Fata Morgana, now I'm reading there was a 4K release that's apparently Japanese-only on PC? Does the PS4 version run at 4K (Edit: Seems there's also a rewind feature on the PS4, not sure if the Switch version has that) ?

Wondering if I should wait until someone mods the Steam version with 4K assets and the console extras, ala Higurashi.

I believe it runs at 4K on PS4 Pro.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe it runs at 4K on PS4 Pro.

That's great if it's the case.

I mean, not so great as I have $7 in eShop rewards, but despite original intentions playing it on the Switch for portability....I most likely would never play it in portable (I'd miss out on the mood music and dark room).

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
How is the mobile port of Ace Attorney 6? Years of Switch and Vita use have made it hard for me to go back to my cramped 3DS, but then I saw AA6 actually got a mobile port. Is it good? Any missing content?

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! I'm new to this thread. I'm currently playing Fata Morgana on my Switch and it's honestly one of my favourite games I think I've ever played. I'm getting very close to the end, and I already am starting to feel sad that it will be over soon. The story is beautiful, the music is nearly perfect, and I love the art style so much. Luckily I can play Requiem and Reincarnation afterwards, but still... :( Is there any news on what the creator of Fata Morgana is currently working on? I'm sure the Requiem and Reincarnation development kept him busy.

Also, does anybody have any recommendations for visual novels on Switch? I don't really like playing games on my laptop (since I currently work on it all day). I'm fluent in Japanese, so games that are only on the Japanese e-shop are fine too. My only experience with visual novels has been more of the adventure kind, such as Danganronpa series (loved all 3), Ace Attorney (liked the first, stopped midway through the second game, which felt tedious), and AI: The Somnium Files (flawed but still good). I'm cool with visual novels like Fata Morgana that don't really have any gameplay too. I'm pretty much open to trying anything, but the only thing I don't think I'd like is stuff heavy in fanservice.

I was thinking I'd maybe try Steins;Gate Elite or Death Loop. On the Japanese e-shop, I'm interested in Higurashi or Umineko. Are there any other great visual novels on Switch that I'm missing?

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
How is the mobile port of Ace Attorney 6? Years of Switch and Vita use have made it hard for me to go back to my cramped 3DS, but then I saw AA6 actually got a mobile port. Is it good? Any missing content?

It's been a while but I think the mobile ports of Ace Attorney are meant to be solid, 6 included. Content wise it's all there.

Mt Domain

Feb 3, 2021
Anyone know how good the after story in the Switch version of Fata Morgana is ? I've read the original and Another Episodes on PC a while back and loved it but I'm not sure if the Switch version is worth it just for the after story/new short stories

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how good the after story in the Switch version of Fata Morgana is ? I've read the original and Another Episodes on PC a while back and loved it but I'm not sure if the Switch version is worth it just for the after story/new short stories

I don't think it's worth the 40USD for that alone, but if you're up for replaying all games, it's worth the investment.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how active this thread is, but I'm in a mood to read another VN, and would appreciate some recommendations for romance focused VNs.

This is a subgenre I've mostly completely avoided so far since for the most part I don't find the way Japanese media writes romance to be particularly attractive. But lately, I've been really enjoying certain romance manga (primarily Kaguya-sama and to a slightly lesser extent Given), so I'm wondering if there's anything similar in the VN space.

Hopefully there's someone here who has read either of these and can recommend similar VNs, but particularly with Kaguya, I like how it presents a very down-to-earth, realistic and not too exaggerated romance story, as well as how it focuses in equal part on both of the people in a relationship, where you can actually understand why both of these people would like one another. Instead of say the girl just falling in love with you simply because you're the protagonist of the story. As well as the characters feeling like real people rather than a collection of tropes/fetishes.

Some other notes
  • I don't want anything sad/depressing, which a lot of the more popular recommendations seem to be (like Fata Morgana)
  • An adult cast would be preferred, or at least something aimed at a more adult audience (like how Kaguya is seinen despite being set in high-school). But since that's probably unlikely, I'd just settle for things that won't make me feel like I'm on an FBI watch-list
  • A good English translation is pretty much a must
  • I would prefer it to be available on PC
  • LGBTQ and Otome stories are fine
  • Additional gameplay elements are fine
  • Since I imagine a lot of recommendations are going to be high-school based, I don't want any depictions of bullying, no matter how minor

For some reference of my taste in VN:
  • Loved Shibuya Scramble and Umineko (but hated Higurashi - too much annoying slice of life stuff with kind of mean-spirited characters)
  • Thought 13 Sentinels was just okay in general but handled romance pretty well for how little of it there was (in particular I liked having multi-character viewpoints)
  • Didn't care much for Steins;Gate. Mayuri in particular is a character archetype I really don't like
  • Hated the character interactions in Utawarerumono
  • Not VNs, but the romance in Trails in the Sky was good (minus the incest), while the one in Cold Steel was terrible (one-note characters and a terrible protagonist).
TL;DR: Are there any visual novels similar to the Kaguya-sama: Love is War or Given manga?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! I'm new to this thread. I'm currently playing Fata Morgana on my Switch and it's honestly one of my favourite games I think I've ever played. I'm getting very close to the end, and I already am starting to feel sad that it will be over soon. The story is beautiful, the music is nearly perfect, and I love the art style so much. Luckily I can play Requiem and Reincarnation afterwards, but still... :( Is there any news on what the creator of Fata Morgana is currently working on? I'm sure the Requiem and Reincarnation development kept him busy.

Also, does anybody have any recommendations for visual novels on Switch? I don't really like playing games on my laptop (since I currently work on it all day). I'm fluent in Japanese, so games that are only on the Japanese e-shop are fine too. My only experience with visual novels has been more of the adventure kind, such as Danganronpa series (loved all 3), Ace Attorney (liked the first, stopped midway through the second game, which felt tedious), and AI: The Somnium Files (flawed but still good). I'm cool with visual novels like Fata Morgana that don't really have any gameplay too. I'm pretty much open to trying anything, but the only thing I don't think I'd like is stuff heavy in fanservice.

I was thinking I'd maybe try Steins;Gate Elite or Death Loop. On the Japanese e-shop, I'm interested in Higurashi or Umineko. Are there any other great visual novels on Switch that I'm missing?

If you're fluent in Japanese you should have *quite* a few more options available. The Grisaia Trilogy has already been suggested and would be a good read, so I'll give a few others (but almost all of these are in English).

Steins;Gate Elite. I'd personally recommend the original, but I'm assuming you don't want to play on another platform and don't have a different console. It'd be better if you got this on Steam tbh, because it comes with another VN too vs a smaller minigame on the Switch version, but any version should be worthwhile.
If you like Steins;Gate, you could try Robotics;Notes Elite and DaSH - set in the same universe.

I haven't read them yet but have heard great things about Higurashi and (especially) Umineko. Root Double: Before Crime After Days Xtend Edition (idk why the heck they named it that :S) is also on the eShop in English. Dies Irae is on the Japanese eShop (apparently 50% off atm too). That's hopefully a decent mix of mystery / action VNs that should keep you entertained. Most of them are *quite* long, too - 40+ hours each, so you'd have a lot of reading in there.

Other titles that are more towards the romance side of things but still quite good and worth a read (also long) are:

Clannad - a mainstay of the genre. The Switch version is dual language
Little Busters - made by the same people that made Clannad. Also dual language on Switch

I'm happy to provide other recommendations if you like.

Is that so? How weird. Last time I played on PC, there was only one version available on Steam.

IIRC they put the HD version on Steam but it's primarily for the Chinese market. I've no idea why though. The non HD version is the one available in English. There are supposedly not too many differences, though.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
If you're fluent in Japanese you should have *quite* a few more options available. The Grisaia Trilogy has already been suggested and would be a good read, so I'll give a few others (but almost all of these are in English).

Steins;Gate Elite. I'd personally recommend the original, but I'm assuming you don't want to play on another platform and don't have a different console. It'd be better if you got this on Steam tbh, because it comes with another VN too vs a smaller minigame on the Switch version, but any version should be worthwhile.
If you like Steins;Gate, you could try Robotics;Notes Elite and DaSH - set in the same universe.

I haven't read them yet but have heard great things about Higurashi and (especially) Umineko. Root Double: Before Crime After Days Xtend Edition (idk why the heck they named it that :S) is also on the eShop in English. Dies Irae is on the Japanese eShop (apparently 50% off atm too). That's hopefully a decent mix of mystery / action VNs that should keep you entertained. Most of them are *quite* long, too - 40+ hours each, so you'd have a lot of reading in there.

Other titles that are more towards the romance side of things but still quite good and worth a read (also long) are:

Clannad - a mainstay of the genre. The Switch version is dual language
Little Busters - made by the same people that made Clannad. Also dual language on Switch

I'm happy to provide other recommendations if you like.

IIRC they put the HD version on Steam but it's primarily for the Chinese market. I've no idea why though. The non HD version is the one available in English. There are supposedly not too many differences, though.
Wow. Thanks for the detailed post - I've added a bunch more games to my wishlist! I just finished all the extra content in Fata Morgana yesterday, so I'll decide what I want to play next tonight. Leaning towards the JP version of Higurashi. The premise for World End Economica Complete, which launches today on Switch, looks interesting, so I might go for that too.