• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
If you can, read Rei, it's basically Higurashi ep 9. (It's fan translated even if the translation leaves to be desired at times).

I play to read some of the side arcs after I finish Umineko.

I've also been watching Gou after finishing the VN because it was newly airing (Gou Spoilers) I really didn't expect it to be a sequel to the game. I really like Higurashi overall but thought the resolution in Matsuribayashi wasn't very satisfying. Gou has some very interesting twists so I'm really looking forward to how it ends.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I play to read some of the side arcs after I finish Umineko.

I've also been watching Gou after finishing the VN because it was newly airing (Gou Spoilers) I really didn't expect it to be a sequel to the game. I really like Higurashi overall but thought the resolution in Matsuribayashi wasn't very satisfying. Gou has some very interesting twists so I'm really looking forward to how it ends.
It's not quite a side arc is what I meant (R07 himself said he consider Saikoroshi Ep. 9), it's basically an official epilogue to the story that expands some of the backstory and gives and concludes the main character's story arc. It's very short, like 3 hours long. It also acts as a "bridge" to Umineko in a way.

All the other arcs are basically spin-offs/alternative timelines/etc.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Dany1899 How long was Abyss of the Sacrifice for you? I just got my copy today.
It took me a bit less 25 hours to complete it.
However, I think it highly depends on how much time completing the "escape" sections require you. In my case, I often used the Hints section (which wasn't present in the original game, as far as I know), which provided me with useful indications to complete those sections. I anyway tried to avoid directly reading the solutions (some are provided by the Hints section, some can be found in this guide - I used Google Translate and I didn't have problems in understanding it). But sometimes, when I was noticing I was going to waste too much time, I looked at the solutions. I admit, even after looking a couple of them, I didn't understand the reasons which were behind.
In general, however, I think it may take you from 20 to 30 hours.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
bought prelude to the fallen, time to play it for the first time ever (since before MoD/MoT I only watched the anime)

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they toned down the CP in the remake, some scenes in the original were
640716194793521154.png

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So isn't Root Letter a real sequel? I fear that, even when a game which may be a sequel according to the title and it is said not be a sequel, then it actually is, because the fact that it is a sequel is kept as a plot twist.

I don't want to get into my usual rant, but I don't even know what Root Film could possibly spoil about Root Letter in the way you're imagining. It is just not a game with much of an interesting plot or characters, or like... events, that happen...

Fwiw, Root Letter was originally announced as being part of a series of games where the characters are "actors", in that you'd see the same character (and voice actor) play a different role in the story of the next game. There were even some postgame bonuses that centered around introducing the "actors". I'm not sure if they kept that for the rerelease or not, though.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I don't want to get into my usual rant, but I don't even know what Root Film could possibly spoil about Root Letter in the way you're imagining. It is just not a game with much of an interesting plot or characters, or like... events, that happen...

Fwiw, Root Letter was originally announced as being part of a series of games where the characters are "actors", in that you'd see the same character (and voice actor) play a different role in the story of the next game. There were even some postgame bonuses that centered around introducing the "actors". I'm not sure if they kept that for the rerelease or not, though.
So probably I would not get spoiled about anything related to Root Letter, while playing Root Film. Thank you for explaining me how the "Root" series is planned to be. My fear was that we could have a similar situation such as
Xenoblade 2 was said not to be a sequel, and this marketing sentence wasn't wrong... but it was actually related to Xenoblade 1, and since I always want to understand everything about the story of a game I play, I had to read some spoilers on an online wiki after concluding Xenolade 2, to fully enjoy the experience.
Probably I won't get Root Film at D1 anyway, but now I will look at future reviews without worrying too much about Root Letter.

About reviews, I am seeing that the visual novel about Re:Zero is reviewing better than I expected, for being a light novel/anime licenced VN.
  • Siliconera says: "One of the better visual novels I've experienced in recent years. The story and the entire cast of characters are colorful and always a blast to continue to unfold. Its overarching mystery regarding corruption and imposters within the kingdom remains enjoyable and compelling throughout the entire lengthy and winding narrative."
  • NoisyPixel says " Re:ZERO: The Prophecy of the Throne is a well-executed adventure visual novel that isn't restricted by an anime license. The writers created a unique story within this world without it being overshadowed by the franchise. Through its mystery themes and excellent character writing, fans will easily appreciate this adventure. "
  • DualShockers says " Visual novels based on intricately plotted anime franchises are fairly common these days so it can be somewhat of a crowded market. This only makes the fact that Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- The Prophecy of the Throne (titled Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- The False Royal Election Candidate in Japan) that much more impressive in its execution. Yes, it falters a bit when it tries to delve into more roleplaying and strategy elements. However, as a well-written and surprisingly compelling narrative, it truly shines with compelling characters and a strong over-arching mystery. While it definitely pays to be familiar with the anime that it is based on, it is still accessible enough to newcomers. "
It also seems that the game may be accessivle for people not familiar with the anime - but as I imagines, if you are familiar, you would enjoy it much more.
The only "drawback" is that it seems to be a short VN, around 12 hours long according to NoisyPixel's review.

Among late January/February games I am interested (Atelier Ryza 2, Re:Zero VN, and Mario 3D World), I am getting the latter. However, this Re:Zero VN is intriguing me so much, I am now undecided if waiting for a sale or not. Spike Chunsoft / NumSkull Games physical game rarely get a discount, but for example I bought the Robotics;Notes games for 41€ at D1, so something similar may happen again.

Aveis

Oct 28, 2017
Timisoara
Glad to see that the Re:Zero is better reviewed than I expected
I'll probably pick it up after I manage to finish Prelude to the Fallen and 13 Sentinels

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Started AI: The Somnium Files, had been impossible to find a new US physical copy for a reasonable price, so I ordered a cheaper EU PS4 import. Liking it so far after already enjoying the demo, hoping it stays that way after ultimately not caring for VLR let alone ZTD (the minority among posters on Era who also liked 999 but didn't really care for VLR vouched for AI, so between that and Yusuke Kozaki handling character designs, I'm giving Uchikoshi another chance).

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh ffs, it's been on my wishlist for years and I missed the announcement of the delist.

Any chance it'll come back?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I sure wish de-listed games would give us SOME sort of warning, even if it was only 24 hrs or something and not just go poof.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
finished my first (part of) a vn with higu chapter 1

was really good. I'm 3 parts in chapter 2 now. kinda slow so far, hoping things kick up again

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Atuy was my favourite too in the MoD/MoT duology, she was always a lot of fun when she was on screen! And that's why...
unknown.png

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Wait wat? Atuy wasn't in the first game is that some kind of DLC?
yeah it's a dlc, there's 1 for every character from MoD/MoT
That said unless you really like those characters and you wanna play as them the DLC are useless, for every battle you can fill up all the slots with the base characters anyway.

edit: misread initial question

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I completed all the character routes in Yu-No after 37 hours. It took a long time, but fortunately some routes shared common parts and therefore the Skip option was pretty useful. I have enjoyed all the five routes, the characters were well portrayed, so much that I really hate some of them (Toyotomi, I am talking about you. I hate that character). Many hints are presented through these five routes, and it is incredible how the puzzle isn't complete at all.
  • Ryuuzouji is not the "real" Ryuuzouji, who was killed and hidden in the storehouse. Who is this Ryuuzouji? A Ryuuzouji coming from a parallel world, or a totally different person? He knows aboout the jewels, so at least he should be the same person who collaborated with Arima in his research.
  • Eriko is incredibly mysterious. She knows that Ryuuzouji is hatching some plan, she knows about his brainwashing power, probably she also knows that Takuya has the jewels. She is also very similar to Kanna's mother, that cannot be a coincidence. Besides, at the beginning Takuya said that Eriko started to wea miniskirt and tight dresses because her students told her these dresses were popular, since she had just returned from abroad. Perhaps doesn't she know about current trends because she comes from the past, or a parallel world?
  • Kanna's long life is mysterious as well. I thought Kanna may be Takuya's mother, since he seemed to have a sort of motherly adoration for her. But it seems I was wrong at the end, since Kanna met Takuya's mother herself. And then why does she need that stone to survive?
  • All the second part of Mio's route allowed me to understand many things, such as the fact that Triangle Mountain hids a 8000-year-old device which can generates lightning. And these lightings are correlated to the gem which can detects the coscience of human beings.

Now I am ready for the true ending - in the guide it is called The Otherworld Chapter. How long will it take me to complete? On Friday I get Mario 3D World, and it would be nice if I can complete Yu-No next week-end.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Now I am ready for the true ending - in the guide it is called The Otherworld Chapter. How long will it take me to complete? On Friday I get Mario 3D World, and it would be nice if I can complete Yu-No next week-end.

It's long. I don't remember exactly how long, but I easily 10+ hours. But very much worth it.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
It's long. I don't remember exactly how long, but I easily 10+ hours. But very much worth it.
Thank you, so it is basically a full route. The guides don't show barely anything for it, because I assume I won't have to bother with jewel saving anymore. Wow, this VN will be 50 hours long for me probably. At this point I don't think I will complete it by this weekend considering my current average game time. I am really looking forward to this final route.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a significant difference between Root Letter and Root Letter: Last Answer? I'd prefer to have it on Vita, but Last Answer is only $15 on Amazon right now.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a significant difference between Root Letter and Root Letter: Last Answer? I'd prefer to have it on Vita, but Last Answer is only $15 on Amazon right now.
Last Answer has all the content of the original release, as well as the option to play it with live action photos of actors/models and the actual locations that inspired the game instead of the original drawn art. It also features new epilogues to the various endings, which are ok but don't really add much to the experience.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Everytime I want to play more of a game trying to reach its ending, something happens and I play even less. The result is that, in playing the final route of Yu-No, I have reached the moment when Yu-No was born just a hour ago, 4 days after beginning the route on Monday.
But I want to share some thoughts and predictions:
First of all, it is crazy that a character appearing in the game cover and in the game title itself makes her appearance in game after 40 hours. I have wondered so much who Yu-No could have been, and at the end she turned out to be Takuya's daughter. What I noticed is that she can already speak "Papa" and "Mama", but according to Takuya just a little more than a year has passed since when he reached that world. That's not normal, but I remember that Kanna mentioned it when talking about herself and her mother. This is clearly the world from which Takuya's mother comes.

About the "identity" of this world, I think it may be the Earth, 8000 years before. The main hint is the axis of rotation, which seems to be vertical as it was for the Earth. The only strange thing is the clouds Takuya can see near the cliff. It almost seems that world is suspendend in air, so my prediction about it being the past Earth may not be totally right.

Last edited:

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I'm about to start muv luv the day after, tiwitter is on fire with Happy birthday messages to Setsuna (#WA2) and yesterday night there was a damn big earthquake.

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
Frontwing finally cancelled the Vita version of Sharin No Kuni.

It is with great regret that we have decided to announce that, although last-minute adjustments to the development and production schedule with all parties involved have been taking place until very recently, it has been confirmed as of last week that one of the main rewards for this project, the Playstation VITA version of the game (both physical and digital), will not be able to meet the deadline for its production. As such, we will be either cancelling and refunding, or exchanging the VITA version of the game to the PC one for all eligible backers and pre-order store purchasers.

We deeply apologize to our supporters who have been looking forward to playing the game despite the repeated delays.

Please note that we will not be accepting cancellations for the PC game version at this point, as we believe that it will be successfully released and delivered.

■ Details about the cancellation of the VITA version

We believe that we should be as open as possible about the circumstances that led to the cancellation of the development of the VITA game version, and as such we will share with our backers the circumstances that led up to this point.

From the beginning, the VITA development schedule suffered the effects of the delays from the development of the PC game version, but here we will focus on the developments in the last year and a half after the change of the publisher.

In the July 2019 update, we announced that our publisher agreement with Limited Run Games (LRG) had been dissolved and that we would be working from that moment on with the Hong Kong-based publisher Eastasiasoft Limited (EAS). The reason for this change was to avoid the issue of the VITA manufacturing ending in North America within that same year. The project team knew that by changing the publisher to a different region, the manufacturing deadline would also change, so we outsourced the pre-production and game development of the VITA version to a certain development company that has a license to develop VITA games, and rearranged the schedule in order to meet the deadline.

Although the COVID-19 pandemic and the changes it brought to workplaces all over the world affected that schedule, the completed master data of the game was scheduled to be delivered by October 2020 at the latest.

However, at the last minute, that date was changed and the game was not delivered to us in October due to circumstances with the development company, and the project team was not able to confirm the actual product until November. Even more problematic than that was the fact that the game was confirmed to have many bugs, including fatal flaws, at that stage, and additional development time was inevitable.

However, even at this stage and during all this time, we had repeatedly asked the development company for a clear deadline for the mastering of the VITA version in order to manufacture the cartridges by the end of the year. We set a manufacturing schedule for production through discussions with Eastasiasoft, shared this information with the development company, and the development company responded that they expected to meet this deadline.

Until the very last moment, the project team still believed that the game production was going to finish and enter the manufacturing stage, but in the end the multiple issues that kept appearing during development and the additional time required to fix every one of them resulted in the developer not being able to meet the deadline discussed with EAS. We are currently in negotiations about the liability issues derived from the failure of the development contractor to meet the delivery date.

Even after last year's delivery date had passed, throughout the month of January the project team had been studying and searching for alternative methods through various channels, including EAS, but in February it became clear that we would have to abandon the production of the VITA version, and this is why we are making this announcement.

One thing we would like to make clear is that the schedule and development estimates that we have reported in updates and comments until now were never false: they were always based on the information that was shared with us in our meetings with the development company that we outsourced the project to. We believed that we would be able to deliver the VITA game version to everyone until the very end.

As you can see, the direct cause of the cancellation of the development of the VITA game version was the overdue delivery date of the development contractor, but the final responsibility for the situation, including the management of the contractor, lies with the project team, or to be more precise, Frontwing, who is the main organizer of the project and in charge of the development management.

We would like to make clear that AKABEi SOFT2, Eastasiasoft Limited, Limited Run Games, and Tokyo Otaku Mode Inc., which have been mentioned before as project members, have no role or responsibility in the delay or cancellation of the game, including the VITA version. Please refrain from contacting these companies individually with any complaints or inquiries.

Can't say I'm surprised considering it's three years late. I wonder who the outsourced development company is 🤔

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Frontwing finally cancelled the Vita version of Sharin No Kuni.

Can't say I'm surprised considering it's three years late. I wonder who the outsourced development company is 🤔

Blehhh... Yeah, I'm also curious who this "development company" was, but clearly they don't want to be naming names. I initially got a PC and Vita copy, so I guess I'll still be getting a physical copy on PC (and a refund for the other).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Even though I am going the refund route, glad to see them offer to let backers convert their Vita pledges to the PC version.