• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Eqkv_3dXUAIvdas

Hell has officially frozen over

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
FSN was never officially released in the west unless I'm forgetting something, so who knows.
You're right, but today the number of Western publishers which localize Japanese VNs is much higher than in the past. Even though I think a localized version of FSN may be quite successful even today due to FGO, I can see why no publisher would decide to buy the rights for a localization, and translate a 100-hour long VN with an old graphics. Tsukihime's remake at least has higher chances, and it is also on current-gen consoles (Switch/PS4).

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
but today the number of Western publishers which localize Japanese VNs is much higher than in the past.
yeah but probably none of the current players in the market can get the rights for T-M stuff, and I don't see T-M doing it themselves (lol).
I guess Aniplex could since they're localizing the cooking game, and if they do it's gonna be a pain in the ass because it'll be NA only or some shit like that

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
lots of good sales now up in the UK eshop New Years Sale til the 10th, no doubt coming to an eshop near you soon as well
Robotics Notes £15.74 (50% off already!)
Robotics Notes DASH £15.74
Raging Loop £14.99
Steins Gate Elite £21.59
YU-NO £17.99
Our World Is Ended £13.99
AI: Somnium Files £21.59
Root Letter £14.99

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
lots of good sales now up in the UK eshop New Years Sale til the 10th, no doubt coming to an eshop near you soon as well
Raging Loop £14.99
Steins Gate Elite £21.59
YU-NO £17.99
Root Letter £14.99
No Steins;Gate 0? NA keeps getting sales on that when we don't.

Sep 14, 2019
Raging Loop £14.99
Steins Gate Elite £21.59
YU-NO £17.99
Root Letter £14.99

Nice, I'll check the US eShop.

I've been wanting to buy some visual novels.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Raging Loop £14.99
Steins Gate Elite £21.59
YU-NO £17.99
Root Letter £14.99

Yu-No at only 20€ and Root Letter at 18€ are really tempting. According to Deku Deals, these prices are the lowest prices ever for these two games (for Raging Loop as well). I prefer physical editions, though, so I'm not sure about getting them, but I will consider it before the sale ends.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but with Majikoi release out, people found out that removed voices can be added back into the game by just by dropping the missing voice files from the JP release, a "patch" (if you even wanna call it such) is out.

Also new muvluv news

Oct 25, 2017
Aw will miss Buried Stars (first platnium trophy of 2021), I guess I spent all week reading it, did like some of the added new dialogue post true end. Personally, B route was a bit better than the A route...

Now to decide between Our World is Ended or Robotics;Notes...

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I think I have made up my mind on what to purchase during the steam sale, as far as VN are concerned at least, i'm going with Punch Line, Totono and Master Magistrate...unless I change my mind again

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I think I have made up my mind on what to purchase during the steam sale, as far as VN are concerned at least, i'm going with Punch Line, Totono and Master Magistrate...unless I change my mind again
Totono (You and Me and Her) is my favourite Visual Novel among the ones released in 2020. Probably it is in 2nd position in my overall 2020 GOTY ranking. It was such an amazing surprise, considering that I played it totally blind to the experience I was going to get. It isn't a long VN as well, around 10/15 hours, so a compact and fantastic experience. I recommend it to anyone who has played many traditional VNs, and to play it without any guide, the guides are basically useless differently from other traditional VNs.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Buried Stars too and man, this game is a disaster as far QoL stuff go. FF skips unread text, can't save everywhere, broken backlog... and the whole discussion system is a bit of a mess.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I finished VA-11 HALL-A recently (fucking loved it) and I'm in the mood for another visual novel, if not now then when it's on sale for Switch. I was looking for something that's on par with The House in Fata Morgana (which I will double dip on once the Switch version releases). These games can be expensive so I'd rather play something that's REALLY fucking good. I love romance and I loved the low stakes vibe of VA-11 HALL-A but wouldn't mind some darker themes. Art style is really important to me too. I took a look at the Grisaia trilogy and Clannad and I just couldn't get over the art style. I don't like it at all, more so in the latter than the former. I was also looking into some horror ones but the weird sex stuff in Death Mark was a turn off. Any suggestions?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone have SeaBed on Switch and know if you can turn off the borders?

I finished VA-11 HALL-A recently (fucking loved it) and I'm in the mood for another visual novel, if not now then when it's on sale for Switch. I was looking for something that's on par with The House in Fata Morgana (which I will double dip on once the Switch version releases). These games can be expensive so I'd rather play something that's REALLY fucking good. I love romance and I loved the low stakes vibe of VA-11 HALL-A but wouldn't mind some darker themes. Art style is really important to me too. I took a look at the Grisaia trilogy and Clannad and I just couldn't get over the art style. I don't like it at all, more so in the latter than the former. I was also looking into some horror ones but the weird sex stuff in Death Mark was a turn off. Any suggestions?
Well given that Fata Morgana and VA-11 HALL-A are both in my top five, and romance and suspense are the main things I look for in VNs, I think I'm well positioned to give you decent recommendations.

My first recommendations would be the Utawarerumono series and Zero Escape if you haven't already played them, but neither of those are on Switch sadly.

I'm playing Little Busters at the moment on Switch though and loving it - that may well be your cup of tea - the art appeals more to me than Clannad and Grisaia's for sure.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but with Majikoi release out, people found out that removed voices can be added back into the game by just by dropping the missing voice files from the JP release, a "patch" (if you even wanna call it such) is out.
Good to have confirmation on this - I'll grab it when it hits Steam.

Happy New Year everyone! :)

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I'll grab it when it hits Steam.
Yeah i'm doing the same, I wish they released on Steam already because I still had some days off work left and I'd have dived it immediatly, but looks like they're going with another staggered steam release, meaning I'll probably wait until the next time I have days off work to bingeplay it

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
If you loved VA-11 HALL-A then I think you'll like Coffee Talk too. Mechanically I found Coffee Talk a bit more interesting, but the tone and setting are very different (still low stakes daily life sort of themes). I also recommend Spirit Hunter NG which is the sequel to Death Mark and except for maybe one image in the first chapter has completely done away with sexy images. It's a standalone sequel that has one or two nods to Death Mark but doesn't spoil the first game or something.

Fruit of Grisaia (haven't played the rest of the trilogy), art-style aside, I did really enjoy personally. The way the protagonist reacts to things from his (let's say) unique perspective and background knocked it out of the park for me, and the story certainly goes places. No other game made has made me laugh as much as this one.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
In few days I am going to finish Abyss of Sacrifice (I will write my opinions at the end). So I am considering to get Root Letter or Yu-No, since they are on sale on the EU eShop until this evening (or to wait for other VNs released in the future).
Which one would you think it is better? On one side, I would like to play Root Letter since this year Root Film will be released, but I can get the physical edition for only 7€ more, so the deal isn't so great (17€ instead of 24€, if I remember correctly). On the other side, the sale on Yu-No is 60% (20€ instead of the 45€ I can get it as physical version), but I searched for some walkthrough and it seems quite complex to achieve all the routes and the true ending, is it true?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm only 7 hours in to Yu-No but like it a lot more than Root Letter which I dropped a bit earlier than that. I intend to go back to it at some point though.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
In few days I am going to finish Abyss of Sacrifice (I will write my opinions at the end). So I am considering to get Root Letter or Yu-No, since they are on sale on the EU eShop until this evening (or to wait for other VNs released in the future).
Which one would you think it is better? On one side, I would like to play Root Letter since this year Root Film will be released, but I can get the physical edition for only 7€ more, so the deal isn't so great (17€ instead of 24€, if I remember correctly). On the other side, the sale on Yu-No is 60% (20€ instead of the 45€ I can get it as physical version), but I searched for some walkthrough and it seems quite complex to achieve all the routes and the true ending, is it true?

I tried to get into Abyss of the Sacrifice, but I just can't get over the stupid decision to make the font black with a thin white outline - that makes eveyrhing so annoying to read...

As for the question:

YU-NO for sure.

I don't dislike Root Letter (though the real-world option in Last Answer is ugly as sin), but YU-NO is better by quite a stretch in pretty much all aspect. You shouldn't have an issue with horny-guy-humor (MC is horny) and panty shots (there are a few) or a tiny bit of conesorship (there's basically just one image changed, but in a very glaring way that comes across as almost some kind of FY gesture - and yes, on Switch as well in this case). Any yes, it's true: Getting through the routes is very complex, but there are some walkthroughs (I remember usiang a very detailed diagram when I played it) and the true route/ending is definitely very much worth it in my opinion - for me it can almost rival the last chapter of Steins;Gate.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Go with YU-NO, but use a guide.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Root Letter is like 11-12 hours to 100%, and there is nothing you can really miss.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm only 7 hours in to Yu-No but like it a lot more than Root Letter which I dropped a bit earlier than that. I intend to go back to it at some point though.
As for the question:
Go with YU-NO, but use a guide.
Root Letter is like 11-12 hours to 100%, and there is nothing you can really miss.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.

As for now, I am inclined to get Yu-No, mainly for two reasons: 1) the majority of you have suggested it, as a better VN than Root Letter; 2) the discount is much better than the one for Root Letter. I can buy a physical copy of Root Letter in the future with a minimum extra cost, while the 19€ for Yuno are the lowest price ever (on the Switch eShop). And then, even if I don't play all of Yu-No in January, I can leave it for the future, the price is too tempting. Besides, when I read that something can rival the last chapter of Steins;Gate, even if it is almost impossible for me, that's a way to get me interested in something. I forgot to mention before that I was spoiled about an aspect of the story in the past there is a sort of incest (possibly with the girl in the cover?), and therefore I suppose time travel is involved, but I am sure this spoiler is barey nothing in the frame of the full plot.

The only concern is the one most of you mentioned, that is the structure is much less linear than Root Letter (which can be completed in few hours). About possible guides, I found some very detailined ones, such as this, but it is very complex. Basically, this guide tells me every single step I should do, it is even more complex than the guide I used to complete World End Syndrome - and I say that as someone who almost always uses guides to play VNs. Are there perhaps guides which provides me enough information to read all the routes (in the best order) and reach the true ending, but without so many details?

I tried to get into Abyss of the Sacrifice, but I just can't get over the stupid decision to make the font black with a thin white outline - that makes eveyrhing so annoying to read...
That is a negative aspect of the game. Another one is the way the narration is structured: third-person point of view and first-person thoughts are constantly mixed, and not all first-person thoughts are voiced, so it isn't always easy to understand who thinks what, especially at the beginning of the game when you are not familiar with the characters. QoL isn't very high (even tough for the escape sections it is better, thanks to the Hints section).

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
About possible guides, I found some very detailined ones, such as this, but it is very complex.

ps3imports.org

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World Trophy Guide - Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo Yu-No (この世の果てで恋を唄う少女Yu-No)

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World Trophy Guide - posted in Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo Yu-No (この世の果てで恋を唄う少女Yu-No) : OVERVIEWEstimated trophy difficulty: 1.5/10Offline: 41 (1 5 5 30 )Approximate time: 3-5 hours (PSNP times)Stacking available?: Yes (PS4 &...

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
ps3imports.org

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World Trophy Guide - Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo Yu-No (この世の果てで恋を唄う少女Yu-No)

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World Trophy Guide - posted in Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo Yu-No (この世の果てで恋を唄う少女Yu-No) : OVERVIEWEstimated trophy difficulty: 1.5/10Offline: 41 (1 5 5 30 )Approximate time: 3-5 hours (PSNP times)Stacking available?: Yes (PS4 &...
This one has a lot of details as well. So I assume this VN should be played while looking at a guide every 5 minutes, shouldn't it?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I mean, I played with a guide because I couldn't be bothered with the outdated mechanics.
I am now reading that some reviews mention a "Hint System", maybe can it be used instead of a guide?
Anyway thanks to all of you for your help, I have purchased Yu-No at the end. Probably I will start it next weekend though, and since it has multiple routes I can interrupt it after a route if I want to play a VN on PC.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
This one has a lot of details as well. So I assume this VN should be played while looking at a guide every 5 minutes, shouldn't it?

I actually didn't have a step-by-step guide at hand when I played it and don't remember looking up stuff all that frequently. I did use a diagram flowchart to figure out all endings and required steps - I think it must have been this one here: (Map)

It is indeed very complex at times, but I'd advise to do a blind run first to get used to the mechanics and the basics. I also think there's no mandatory reason to follow a specific order of the ends as you can use the jewel save feature (just always keep at least one in reserve or you will regret it, trust me) to move between them somewhat, but following the guide in that respect probably will cut down redundancies.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The YuNO remake is a lot easier to get by than the original, but yeah I'd still use a guide to have the best time with it. You don't necessarily need to go step by step, but check with it to see what you should be doing.

Also a lot of the guides were made for the original and have unnecessary details that aren't important in the remake.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have completed Abyss of Sacrifice, and I can finally share my opinions with all of you.
I have a mixed judgment for this Visual Novel. There are some aspects I liked, others which were OK, others which could have been handled much better.

As someone who found out about the existence of Visual Novels thanks to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last reward (my first VN ever), I was looking forward to the escape scenes. Overall, I don't have a homogenous judgement about them, but I would classify them in 2 categories: 1) some of them were indeed really good, they required you to understand how to solve the problems, in such a say that they aren't too easy but they don't require hours to be completed; 2) some of them were quite difficult, and I still admit I have not understood the reasons behind all the solutions. But here comes a very useful QoL element, the "Hints" section in the main menu. You are provided with some tips to complete the escape room section, and sometimes even with the solution for the most complex one. This is absolutely useful, even though for a pair of times I had to recur to an online guide (this one, if any one of may be interested) because I was losing too much time and I could not understand how to complete those sections. But, in any case, I had to use the "Hints" section too many times, I would have preferred more Escape section of the first type.

Similarly, the story has highs and downs. The plot is about five girls, who are trapped in a underground world and try to escape from it. The personalization of each character is deep enough - I would have preferred even more, but each character has her own unique background and personal story. I quite liked the explanation about the existence of this underground world, and generally he final chapter of the true ending was good. There were, however, some parts which weren't totally clear to me, and perhaps a bit inconsistent (I put under spoiler, for whoever has completed/will complete the VN):
For example, it seems that some routes are dreams by Jitka (I refer to Chloe's one), while the others where she dies are clearly not dreams. This was a bit confusing, and I didn't understand how Asuna returned at the beginning of the story at the end of her route - I mean, was that an alternatie wordline, and Jitka influenced others? But if I understood corrently, it doesn't seem that there are parallel wordlines, but simply Jitka can rewrite the past, and actually Asuna had blood on her body since the beginning.. This "loop" part was a bit confusing, but maybe it was due to my understanding.
Besides, there is indeed some padding in the middle, but I always well accept a slow-paced intermediate phase of the story, so that wasn't a problem for me at all.

Finally, when I didn't like was the continuous switch between third-person narration and first-person thought, and in this second category some thought are voiced, others not. I admit that at the beginning I had issues in understanding whose the thought were, then I get used to it after knowing the personality of each character, and since not all the five girls are always present at the same time.

Overall, some limitations due to the original time of release (around 2010) and possibly a limited budget are evident, but there were aspects which I liked. Of course, there are many other VNs I would recommend ahead of this, but for fans of Zero Escape (and in general escape rooms) it might be an "OK" visual novel, if you play it without too many demands and expectations.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Chaos Head for the first time and thought I'd share my impressions, largely cos I'm pretty disappointed so far

So far, I'm at chapter 9 now, and I believe that I'm nearing the end at this point. I've not finished it yet so my impressions are with that in mind, but coming from Stein's Gate to this I am frustrated and confused as all heck. It's got a pretty slow start but I can forgive that, many great VNs have this issue.

What has irked me primarily is that it's just outright confusing to the point that I struggle at times to really grasp onto any core plot point that is driving the story. I feel like I need to keep notes of all the plot strands at this point.
Now it's clear that the game is meant to be confusing given its themes, and certainly its tense atmosphere is great and the games strong point, but by the half way point of Steins Gate there was a clear motivation and key goal driving the story; here its still largely the same as it was at the very beginning of the story tbh.

With how little is seemingly left I struggle to expect that it will all be tied up nicely by the end (and I feel like I'm going to need to deep dive a wiki tbh) but even if it does that has been a frustrating read.
I really hope that Chaos Child is better than this.

PS: oh how could I forgot to mention, the main character is such an arsehole, its just really hard to empathise with him. It's clear what's being aimed for here as the socially awkward otaku type but he has little to no growth and has remained irritating throughout. Okabe in Stein's Gate started irritating but you definitely warmed to him in time.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Island coming to Switch on April 8 in Japan

Prototype will release a Switch version of Frontwing-developed visual novel Island on April 8 in Japan for 5,900 yen, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will also include an epilogue ch…

No mention of English support, sadly.
Is the epilogue chapter mentioned new and/or not available in English currently? I believe Prototype only includes the English localizations when everything included in the console port has already been translated.

Oct 25, 2017

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Weird request but do any of you recommend Chinese VNs? I'd like to practice my Mandarin.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Vita:

www.play-asia.com

Roommates [Limited Edition]

Roommates [Limited Edition] PLAY EXCLUSIVES for PlayStation VitaPlay as Anne and romance Dominic, Rakesh, Max and IsabellaPlay as Max and romance Sally, Anne, Isabella and RakeshHilarious light comedy writing guaranteed to make you laughLife simulation gameplay with full scheduler and stats...

www.play-asia.com

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story [Limited Edition]

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story [Limited Edition] PLAY EXCLUSIVES for PlayStation VitaSurvive the horror using adventure mechanics and explorationExperience a beautiful, erotic hand-painted art style with Eastern and Western influencesUnlock additional outfits, some of which alter interactions...

Nintendo Switch:

www.play-asia.com

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story PLAY EXCLUSIVES for Nintendo Switch * In our warehouse. Survive the horror using adventure mechanics and explorationExperience a beautiful, erotic hand-painted art style with Eastern and Western influencesUnlock additional outfits, some of which alter interactions...

www.play-asia.com

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story [Limited Edition]

Sense: A Cyberpunk Ghost Story [Limited Edition] PLAY EXCLUSIVES for Nintendo SwitchSurvive the horror using adventure mechanics and explorationExperience a beautiful, erotic hand-painted art style with Eastern and Western influencesUnlock additional outfits, some of which alter interactions...

Use code GEMATSU (or whatever other code available) for 5% off.