• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's been over a year since it was announced, have I missed 428 news or have they just been silent?

I'm a bit late to this, but I guess this will pretty much be the last Vita VN we get in the West (alongside the next Hakuoki)?

No. PQube is still pouring out Vita/VN support, and LRG will most likely be announcing Fata Morganna Vita very soon (well, hopefully :p)

EDIT: Oh, and all those Kickstarter VNs that will be making their way over... some day.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
It's been over a year since it was announced, have I missed 428 news or have they just been silent?

I'm a bit late to this, but I guess this will pretty much be the last Vita VN we get in the West (alongside the next Hakuoki)?

Not even close. There's Code:Realize, Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly, Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk, 7'scarlet. There was also a listing for YU-NO and PQube doesn't seem done with Vita yet (as long as it's not exclusive, that is). There's a few KS games as well (and other SP games) but who knows about those at this point. Fata Morgana has also been heavily hinted at.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so I'd commented on TouchArcade's article about Shin Hayarigami as well (since I wanted to correct them about the iOS port existing before now), and the publisher (I guess that's what they'd be?) suddenly responded to the comments today, over a week later.

Across both replies they said that they're translating directly from Japanese, and that the person writing on social media/the forums/these replies is not involved with the actual translation so their bad English shouldn't affect the game, with the translation also still being improved as they approach launch. The company is definitely the Korean publisher, though, and there's the whole Twitter image/location thing which is weird? But it might be the same company under different names or something, I guess...? Or maybe they just handle both non-Japanese versions...? They said "we first launched this app in Korea and Japan", so... Hmm.

Just gonna hope that turns out ok and isn't an unplayable mess.

That's my birthday, so you all better thank me if we get good news then, ok?

and also don't blame me if we don't

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Banshee's Last Cry is no longer downloadable, even if you purchased the game from the AppStore.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Banshee's Last Cry is no longer downloadable, even if you purchased the game from the AppStore.

Are you sure this is the case?

Rather, I cannot download it because I'm on iOS 11 and it doesn't run on that because it's old enough that it didn't have to support 64 bit; is this something confirmed or just you/someone else dealing with that?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure this is the case?

Rather, I cannot download it because I'm on iOS 11 and it doesn't run on that because it's old enough that it didn't have to support 64 bit; is this something confirmed or just you/someone else dealing with that?

Hmm, I just can't download it from my purchased apps, the option is grayed out.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
What are some of the best retro VN's? I'm hoping that the new version of Yu-No is released this year, but I much prefer the older style esthetic. Are any of the older 90's games any good? Has anyone played Eve Burst Error? It looks like it could be decent.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are some of the best retro VN's? I'm hoping that the new version of Yu-No is released this year, but I much prefer the older style esthetic. Are any of the older 90's games any good? Has anyone played Eve Burst Error? It looks like it could be decent.
Pretty sure EVE is a cult classic.

Snatcher and Policenauts stand out as other potential greats (by Kojima).

I haven't played anything else that's comparable in age.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I just can't download it from my purchased apps, the option is grayed out.

It's greyed out for me but also has the note about it needed to be updated for iOS 11 at the top. I still had it installed when I upgraded (and then restored from a backup after on a new phone) and if I tap the icon it (in this order, confusingly) tells me that it needs to be updated and gives me the option to keep or delete the icon, and then after I keep it tells me that I'm trying to open something that's not installed and that it's going to download it in the background.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Nocturnal Illusion as being pretty good. But it's been something like 10+ years since I played it, so take this recommendation with a grain of salt.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure EVE is a cult classic.

Snatcher and Policenauts stand out as other potential greats (by Kojima).

I haven't played anything else that's comparable in age.

I've heard good things about Divi-Dead.

I remember Nocturnal Illusion as being pretty good. But it's been something like 10+ years since I played it, so take this recommendation with a grain of salt.
Thanks all. Snatcher I have always wanted to play, but I am hoping that it will get ported to PC at some point. I don't see anyway to download the other ones and Eve Burst is on sale so I'll give it a shot. It says that it is all ages on Mangagamer's site, which I prefer.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What are the high-profile visual novels available in english for iOS devices? Steins;Gate, Planetarian, Corpse Party and...?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. PQube is still pouring out Vita/VN support, and LRG will most likely be announcing Fata Morganna Vita very soon (well, hopefully :p)

EDIT: Oh, and all those Kickstarter VNs that will be making their way over... some day.

Not even close. There's Code:Realize, Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly, Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk, 7'scarlet. There was also a listing for YU-NO and PQube doesn't seem done with Vita yet (as long as it's not exclusive, that is). There's a few KS games as well (and other SP games) but who knows about those at this point. Fata Morgana has also been heavily hinted at.
You people gave me life !
I had forgotten about these Fata Morgana hints. That's one VN I'd like to see localized on Vita.
I had no idea Yu-No was even a thing on Vita. I'd happily get it on Vita or Steam.

Hah, I just had to ask. Thanks!

Thanks for pointing it out. So it's joined Higurashi in the category of unplayable games. :-(

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm Mangagamer rejected my credit card and then I looked and it seemed like their games come with DRM. That's too bad. Well I'll have Muv-Luv Alternative to play soon on Vita, so I guess that will be my next VN.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eve Burst Error is a classic. I'd say it's more mainstream than many of its contemporary peers because it was released on console. I've seen it on some best Saturn game list. Honestly I don't see many old VNs (before 2000) getting much publicity except Yu-No, EVE and maybe Rance.

edit: EVE sold 190k on Saturn it seems. That pretty much blows any PC VN out of the water.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Doki Doki Literature Club: Owners: 2,941,875 ± 53,698
Danganronpa: Owners: 219,501 ± 14,707
Steins;Gate: Owners: 181,887 ± 13,388 (plus however good it sold on JAST before Steam)
I should clarify, I mean in the old days. I think up until 2008 FSN was the highest selling PC VN, which sold around 170k. Now with Steam, it's the age of Nekopara.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Got an email from Mangagamer saying that Eve Burst Error is in fact DRM-Free and I can pay through paypal so I am looking forward to trying it.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I've spent a while trying to find a reliable way to play Steam VNs on my (i)phone, Moonlight and Rainway and etc, and it only just now occurred to me to try, like, just straight-up Remote Desktop. Which, of course, works fine for stuff like this, and should have been the first thing to try.

FwM7o0v.png

(The downside being that I was probably going to go to bed soon and I'm now inevitably going to stay up too late.)

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I've spent a while trying to find a reliable way to play Steam VNs on my (i)phone, Moonlight and Rainway and etc, and it only just now occurred to me to try, like, just straight-up Remote Desktop. Which, of course, works fine for stuff like this, and should have been the first thing to try.

(The downside being that I was probably going to go to bed soon and I'm now inevitably going to stay up too late.)

Huh. That's a damn good idea, think I'm gonna give it a try on my iPad.

e: too laggy and low res for me, unfortunately.

Last edited:

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
Hello, I am a bot! I come bearing 1 gifts from Lain!

This is a first come first serve giveaway. The first user with a valid entry will win the prize!

How to Participate:

To enter this giveaway click here to send a private message to me, GiftBot, with the subject line entry.

In the message body, copy and paste the entire line below for the prize you wish to win. You are allowed only 1 entry per giveaway.

Available Prizes:

Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition -- GB-91119fd2-2e4d-4c84-b7eb-b69eb4b4fb71

Last edited:

sprinkles

Oct 25, 2017
Roughly two years after the Steam release, and about one year after I got a cheap Steam key in a Humble Bundle and played said Steam release, I finally got the Root Double key for the Vita, and then they send me a wrong key (US PSN instead of Europe).

That will teach me to never again change a Kickstarter pledge in the last possible hour based on the gut feeling "oh I want to have something new for my dusty Vita".

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Roughly two years after the Steam release, and about one year after I got a cheap Steam key in a Humble Bundle and played said Steam release, I finally got the Root Double key for the Vita, and then they send me a wrong key (US PSN instead of Europe).

That will teach me to never again change a Kickstarter pledge in the last possible hour based on the gut feeling "oh I want to have something new for my dusty Vita".

Did they ever state that keys would be for both regions? Reading the page now and people I guess assumed it would also include EU codes, but only the NA game was released?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

You'll have to contact them and say that you'll wait for the EU release.