• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I will back it when Im back in Germany. I think some certain publisher kinda "destroyed" the chances that people will back for VNs lately.

...to be honest, I would be more interested in backing it if it had any other premise?

Guy returns to hometown for high school looking for childhood friend, etc. isn't exactly new ground at all, and since it's the team's first work it's hard to tell what sets it apart from the crowd when it comes to writing, you know? Rather, even if it's just a good "one of those", that's not a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly make me want to rush to give money to make sure it gets made, if that makes sense.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...to be honest, I would be more interested in backing it if it had any other premise?

Guy returns to hometown for high school looking for childhood friend, etc. isn't exactly new ground at all, and since it's the team's first work it's hard to tell what sets it apart from the crowd when it comes to writing, you know? Rather, even if it's just a good "one of those", that's not a bad thing, but it doesn't exactly make me want to rush to give money to make sure it gets made, if that makes sense.

I'll say that I found the premise of a MC suffering of brain tumor and trying to meet his childhood friend once again to keep a promise (and I guess for a last farewell) to be an interesting one that shuffles a little bit the usual trope, especially if it keeps a bit of an ambiguous atmosphere walking the tight path between dramatic and light-hearted that such a premise would need to not end up being a cheap story.
I'll probably back it, though It'll be closer to the end to make sure I do have the disposable once all is said and done for March.

On the other hand I agree that a debut project won't inspire too much confidence in the general public. Also this stuff requires some pushing on the part of the publisher to get eyes on the project. Need to get people talking or even an interesting project won't reach a low goal.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They posted a thing on Touch Arcade with what I assume is going to be part of the store description, and if you thought "A body found with eyes disappearing" was bad, you haven't seen "A man discovered in the body was penetrated with large cut edges with both eyes."

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
They posted a thing on Touch Arcade with what I assume is going to be part of the store description, and if you thought "A body found with eyes disappearing" was bad, you haven't seen "A man discovered in the body was penetrated with large cut edges with both eyes."

Um...

tenor.gif

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The original Tweet has the logo in Korean... are they translated this off some Korean translation of the game?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I posted something along these lines on TA, but the more I think about it, the more I'm surprised they're openly trying to court streamers? Like that was their first thought when tweeting, even?

That's... very bold when they seem to be releasing a game that does not appear to have a natural sounding translation at all. They really want people to read that aloud for an audience? Cause that's definitely not gonna make the translation appear any better.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
After Psycho-Pass bombed, NISA's never touching another visual novel anytime soon (except for TSC and such, but those are just distribution deals).

It's kind of a silly way to determine sales. It's something based on an anime, so just from what I've seen online people were reluctant to play it because they haven't watched the show yet.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I posted something along these lines on TA, but the more I think about it, the more I'm surprised they're openly trying to court streamers? Like that was their first thought when tweeting, even?

That's... very bold when they seem to be releasing a game that does not appear to have a natural sounding translation at all. They really want people to read that aloud for an audience? Cause that's definitely not gonna make the translation appear any better.
Maybe they want it to be the next Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of a silly way to determine sales. It's something based on an anime, so just from what I've seen online people were reluctant to play it because they haven't watched the show yet.
The fact that the game was crappy didn't help.

Another month without a new Higurashi release. :(

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another month without a new Higurashi release. :(
HAHAHAHAHA siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

I'm pretty sure the engine work started very recently (it's done in Unity apparently), so it really might be another couple months...
Maybe they want it to be the next Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal?
It's obviously a hot new take on the mystery genre where the greatest challenge is interpreting the mystic language the game's localized in.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is finally available in English, if anyone was waiting for the English translation to be released.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, I remember seeing that at TGS a year and a half ago, huh. It looked pretty neat; anyone know if it's worth playing?

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

They passed on VN after Disgaea Infinite bombed. Psycho-Pass probably made it since it is based on a popular anime. There were people willing to get into the anime so they can play the game (in fact you only need to watch the first 5 episodes)

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
iplayinc responded to the concerns: "Dear Kimchisoju! Thank you for your support and we are sorry that English translation seems a bit raw, but we promise it will be improved and you will be able to enjoy the game!
smile.gif
", "
Dear Noharakun! We really appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry that English translation seems a bit awkward for now. We promise it will be improved and we hope our game will not disappoint you. Thank you again for your comments!"
And another five or so iterations of it.

I'm not so sure we'll see notable changes with their shockingly swift release date of /9 days/ from now, but so they say. Happy to take an engrishy version of Hayarigami over no version at all.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they don't actually improve it (whether initially or eventually), I'm going to say that a bad translation is actually worse than nothing, personally. I'd rather there be a chance of a good translation than being stuck with a bad one. Especially because it really does look like they're translating it secondhand from the Korean version. (And, also, the JP and Korean iOS versions only came out in December, so...)

I guess another company could hopefully still release the Vita version...

EDIT:

oh lol they really did just reply to every single post individually, huh; I'm guessing a TA mod is gonna warn them

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Would benefit them to to delay the release and hire a competent translator, which also could give them time to market the game beyond Twitter and Touch arcade, which they have barely done anyway.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered that A Kiss for the Petals - Maidens of Michael was removed from Steam with Mangagamer not knowing why and as I was looking that up I noticed Mangagamer is planning a kickstarter for a VN they'll make, Koropokkur in Love ~A Little Fairy's Tale~ (kickstarter page isn't live yet, link is to the draft MG shared for feedback).

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know some software that can be used to track decisions made while playing VNs? My current solution of writing down each decision point encountered in each playthrough simply doesn't scale.

I just discovered that A Kiss for the Petals - Maidens of Michael was removed from Steam with Mangagamer not knowing why and as I was looking that up I noticed Mangagamer is planning a kickstarter for a VN they'll make, Koropokkur in Love ~A Little Fairy's Tale~ (kickstarter page isn't live yet, link is to the draft MG shared for feedback).
That's strange. The game looks like it has been completely nuked from Steam, depots and all (SteamDB).
You'd think Valve would have contacted MangaGamer if it was something they did.

I'm not terrible excited about Koropokkur, as neither the art style nor the story seems interesting to me. But it will be interesting to see how frequently MangaGamer will be using Kickstarter in the future, and what games they'll Kickstart.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not terrible excited about Koropokkur, as neither the art style nor the story seems interesting to me. But it will be interesting to see how frequently MangaGamer will be using Kickstarter in the future, and what games they'll Kickstart.
I doubt they will use Kickstarter much, remember that Koropokkur is a game they are making so it's more logical for them to use Kickstarter for it rather than just crowdfund a translation.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody at Fuwanovel reviewed the grasshopper VN. I think they liked it.

I doubt they will use Kickstarter much, remember that Koropokkur is a game they are making so it's more logical for them to use Kickstarter for it rather than just crowdfund a translation.
Yeah, that is my expectation too.

However, I would not be terribly surprised if they did start Kickstarting translations at some point, especially story heavy VNs. Unfortunately those seem to be higher risk/lower return proposition than nukiges. There's also the possibility that they'll do Kickstarters for upcoming VNs purely for physical rewards.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone still considering getting Kindred Spirits on the Roof on Steam? Might want to act fast, what with A Kiss For the Petals being removed and people in the thread about it here calling for Kindred Spirits to share its fate...

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Anyone still considering getting Kindred Spirits on the Roof on Steam? Might want to act fast, what with A Kiss For the Petals being removed and people in the thread about it here calling for Kindred Spirits to share its fate...
I have kindred but I really hope Maidens of Michael comes back... I wanted to buy I after I finished Remembering How we Met.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was there an explanation as to why the game was even removed?
There is no explanation. Mangagamer hasn't said anything apart from answering a couple tweets asking them about the removal by stating they have no clue why the game was removed, but that was two days ago and I bet they're not going to get any answer out of Valve.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious and looked into it, and there is someone on the Steam forums claiming they got it delisted by reporting it due to the character ages making it legally iffy in Canada, but no idea if that's true or not.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It was one idiot, whose unaware that Yuraei is one of the most respectful yuri VN's i've played about romance between girls (one of the few to use the terms "lesbian", "gay", and "homosexual" freely.

Besides, Kindred has been on steam for a year and a half.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no explanation. Mangagamer hasn't said anything apart from answering a couple tweets asking them about the removal by stating they have no clue why the game was removed, but that was two days ago and I bet they're not going to get any answer out of Valve.
I would be surprised if Valve did not return to MangaGamer with some sort of statement.
The question is how long it will take, and if it would actually be in MangaGamer's interest to publish the response, depending on the reason given for the game being removed.