• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The content distribution in the chapters of Muv-Luv Alternative is really unbalanced. I breezed throught the first five chapters in no time, while Chapter 9 took me around two weeks to complete. But today finally I completed it, and now I am ready for the final chapter.

After the completion of Operation 21st, Takeru and Sumika finally confront each other, and they go beyond their differences and worries. Their love story can't have a happy ending, because Takeru will choose Meiya at the end must return to his original worldline, with another Sumika, and therefore the "00 Unit" Sumika will be left alone, without this Takeru and the original one, who fought and died to protect her. But at the same time, even though for Takeru this is another Sumika, and for Sumika this is another Takeru, they can't help to love each other - that's something tragic and touching. But the heaviest part of this interlude between Operation 21st and the next battle is Sumika's backstory. The description of how the BETA experimented on her and literally raped her was so heavy, with Sumika who started to took pleasure from it and forgot everything, Takeru included. I can't imagine how it is described in the +18 version, since the All-Ages version doesn't mess around either.

This is also the first moment where the BETA clearly don't seem stupid as everyone thought, and in fact.. they invade Yokohoma Base immediately after Operation 21st. This event was a bit surprising for me, but after reading through all of it I understood the reasons of this plot event. First, it is a clear hint that, even after completing Operations 21st, human beings could be destroyed by BETA in any moment, if they decided to being the offensive. Second, it is also a convenient way to make the main girls (plus Takeru) the only Valkyries available for the next mission. Hayase's death wasn't as heavy to accept as Marimo's and Isumi's, but her final moments were amazing as well. Also Suzumiya's death has its own significance - she died without accomplishing her task, but that always happens in war, and Isumi's and Hayase's "succesfful" deaths are instead the exceptions.

And now Operation Cherry Blossom begins. There are not data about the Primary Objective, and it is impossible to carry out any simulation.. Yeah, if a big plot twist is due to happen in Muv-Luv Alternative, it will be when A-01 team will reach the primary Objective in the Original Hive. Maybe is what is waiting A-01 there the cause of Takeru being a causality conductor? After all, Chapter 10 is the last one, and I suppose it will narrate only Operation Cherry Blossom, so everything must be explained there. I also expect the death of Meiya, or Sumika, or both. After all, Sumika can't stay with Takeru forever, and she might sacrifice herself for him. About Meiya... I pretend something big for her in this final chapter. And probably a sacrifice to save humanity would fit her.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Between Aokana, 13 Sentinels and both Robotics;Note Elite and DaSH, this is a great time to be a visual novel fan.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Dany1899 I was wondering if you had finished.

I think chapter 9 is the longest.

Something that I didnt know before playing Muv-Luv was that the main characters of Rumbling Hears Susumiya, Hayase and the MVP Akane came from that VN/Anime and I saw it about 2 months before it. Thanks to that, it made those chapters on Muv-Luv the more intense to me.

That anime also has a OVA with the characters of Muv-Luv. The first time I saw it I was like "wtf is this robot nonsense, who are there these characters I dont care about?", but now I saw the OVA again and I was "ohhhh". I mean they dont spoil anything but just seeing Sumika or Meiya in an anime is something else.

Edit. I just started playing 13 Sentinels too. The art is gorgeous.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Between Aokana, 13 Sentinels and both Robotics;Note Elite and DaSH, this is a great time to be a visual novel fan.
I was thinking this just the other day. We haven't had such a flood of high quality releases since 2017 (Utawarerumonos, Danganronpa 1-2 Reload, V3, some decent otome from Aksys, probably more I'm forgetting).

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking this just the other day. We haven't had such a flood of high quality releases since 2017 (Utawarerumonos, Danganronpa 1-2 Reload, V3, some decent otome from Aksys, probably more I'm forgetting).

Good point, you can even include Piofiore, Cafe Enchante and Tomoyo After into this mix as well.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
The second half of 2020 is indeed a great time for VN releases. Aokana is a beautiful gem, and I can already say that after playing only the common route. There are now plenty of possible developments for all the four characters in their own routes, and I am sure I won't be dissapointed.
Unfortunately 13 Sentinels is PS4 exclusive, so I can't play it even though the setting and art seemed interesting.
Finally, after so many years, I have the possibility to play Robotics;Notes. In the past I wactedh the anime because I was convinced we would have never got a localization for the VN - I was so happy to be wrong. Besides, DaSH seems a game thought for the Science;Adventure fans, since in the most recent interview it is stated that knowledge of Chaos;Child is suggested before starting DaSH. I hope that, before RN is releases, I will have finished Muv-Luv Alternativ (for sure I'll finish it) and at least Asuka's route in Aokana.

Dany1899 I was wondering if you had finished.

I think chapter 9 is the longest.

Something that I didnt know before playing Muv-Luv was that the main characters of Rumbling Hears Susumiya, Hayase and the MVP Akane came from that VN/Anime and I saw it about 2 months before it. Thanks to that, it made those chapters on Muv-Luv the more intense to me.

That anime also has a OVA with the characters of Muv-Luv. The first time I saw it I was like "wtf is this robot nonsense, who are there these characters I dont care about?", but now I saw the OVA again and I was "ohhhh". I mean they dont spoil anything but just seeing Sumika or Meiya in an anime is something else.

Edit. I just started playing 13 Sentinels too. The art is gorgeous.
The world of Muv-Luv is suitable for manifold spin-offs, but it is interesting that insteas it incorporates characters of a previously released VN. I suppose that this Rumbling Hears VN is focused on how Suzumiya and Hayase fall in love for the same man during their trainining period. I have also read that there might be an anime adaptation of Alternative itself in the future, even though I didn't search accurately to avoid spoilers for now. But I fear so much content must be cut to fill a 14 episodes long series.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to start Aokana today myself thanks to being lucky enough to get a new Switch to play it on, the limited edition having been the first game I bought for it. Didn't know if I would've had any chance of finding one anytime soon with all of the non-Lite shortages, let alone a V2 model with the Joy-Con color I wanted (the asymmetry of the neon blue and red being a minor nitpick, hence why I was opting for gray).

Just started playing through Sakura Wars too earlier this same week, since that came up.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
The world of Muv-Luv is suitable for manifold spin-offs, but it is interesting that insteas it incorporates characters of a previously released VN. I suppose that this Rumbling Hears VN is focused on how Suzumiya and Hayase fall in love for the same man during their trainining period. I have also read that there might be an anime adaptation of Alternative itself in the future, even though I didn't search accurately to avoid spoilers for now. But I fear so much content must be cut to fill a 14 episodes long series.

Yes, is known love triangle story, is a good one and it takes no time at all to get into the meat of the story and has nothing to do with Muv-Luv.

About the Muv-Luv universe:

I just finished Photonflowers today, is a collection of complementary of mini stories from Extra and Alternative, there are a couple that last no more than 10 mins and a couple that are long (Marimo's and Isumi's stories) and those are quite good and the rest that are about 1 hour each.

I also saw both anime series Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken, the first one is a broken mess despite being 24 episodes and the second one is solid. Both are biased on VNs of which there are no translations available but the summary of the story is available .......Total Eclips is something else.... in a bad way.

Age announced the anime adaptation of Alternative...... god help them with that.... and a proper sequel of Alternative, called Integrate, once you finish with Alternative you can google it, the screens that accompany the announcement show some spoilers.

Ill get Muv-Luv photonmelodies once I finished with 13 Sentinels.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Another day, another VN Kickstarter I can check off as "complete". After already buying the Switch Aokana set, my PC KS version makes its way through the mail. It's a nice boxed set, but sad that the disc itself is in a sleeve, and not in a DVD-Rom/jewel case. Oh well (I'll still play it on Switch, but this is still nice to have...)

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Another day, another VN Kickstarter I can check off as "complete". After already buying the Switch Aokana set, my PC KS version makes its way through the mail. It's a nice boxed set, but sad that the disc itself is in a sleeve, and not in a DVD-Rom/jewel case. Oh well (I'll still play it on Switch, but this is still nice to have...)
Considering how packages can get treated during shipping, even when people are being super careful, this seems like a weird risk for them to take.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Considering how packages can get treated during shipping, even when people are being super careful, this seems like a weird risk for them to take.

It was tucked at the bottom of the box and under the artbook and all the other heavier goods, and sitting between some foam pieces. As for the actual box packaging, it was in a giant pillow sleeve... thing. Hard to explain since I've only received this type of packaging maybe once before. The outer box was pretty flimsy, but that airy pocket-pillow helped.

Oh, found it:

HTB1pz8ENpXXXXcYXXXXq6xXFXXXO.jpg_350x350.jpg

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Here I am, with the last update about Muv-Luv Alternative. I completed it ahead of schedule, mainly because Chapter 10 was shorter than I imagined, and because I had spare time while waiting everytime I launched an application for performance tests (the main advantage of WFH, in my opinion, is that I can play VNs on my work PC in the spare time).

My final verdict is: Muv-Luv Alternative was an amazing, top-notch Visual Novel. There were parts that could have been better/avoided, but nothing is perfect. The plot is strong, there are expected and unexpected plot twists, the side characters (A-01 team, but not only) are great and even better then the side characters in Extra or Unlimited, the animation of some scenes is clearly high budget for a visual novel of this age. It was a long, but satisfying journey where only the final scenes left me a bittersweet taste, since I am still debating myself about the ending.
But let's go in order.

Before starting Chapter 10, I was sure at least one between Meiya and Sumika would have died. And well.. actually everyone expect Takeru and Kasumi died. Operation Cherry Blossom was going to fail because of unexpected events, and everyone had to sacrifize themselves so that Takeru and Sumika could destroy the Primary Objective.
The deaths of Ayamane and Sakaki were portrayed in a very good way - they were finally in perfect synch, after all their previous quarrels, and didn't surrender until the very end. Even when Ayamine's TSF was going to be overcome by BETA, she was able to stand up again and to active the self-destruction. The deaths of Mikoto and Tama were a bit less strong with respect to the other two, it was nice to see how Mikoto covered for Tama's mistake, but their deaths seemed a bit more forced from the narrative point of view, just because the writer decided to have all the girls die in this final mission.

While Takeru is deceived by Meiya, he finally meets the Primary Objective. He finds out that BETA think themselves as non living creatures, because they are carbon-based creatures, while their superiors are silicon-based. Then he finds out that in the universe there are other 10^37 Original Hives, so basically the fight humanity is undergoing could be pointless, since another Original Hive might come to Earth to get the required material.
Honestly, I don't know why this stuff was introduced at this point. MLA is Takeru's journey, and dominated by his character development. So why did they go into explaining all of this? In particular, there is no further explanation about these silicon-based creatures: who are they, where are they, why do they sent BETA to collect material throughout the universe? The only reason I thought may be that these pieces of information might have been introduced so that future spin-offs, sequels, anime, light novels, etc. could cave in them.

But I couldn't think so much about it, because the best moment of the chapter immediately came after...
hgjlHqw.jpg
... yeah, Meiya's death was amazing, if a death can be thus defined.
She was going to be physically and mentally overcome by the Primary Objective, but she endured.
She knew the Primary Objective could be defeated only if Takeru shot at her, and she requested him to do so.
And finally she also had the opportunity to confess her feelings to him, telling him she wanted to die at the hands of the man she loved.
In Extra, I didn't like Meiya, expect for some tratis of her personality and some events. In Unlimited and Alternative, she became my favorite character, because she really fit this context and the role of guiding light for Takeru. Many will say that Sumika is the central girl in Alternative, and they are right. But Meiya was the one who supported Takeru in his most difficult moments. She was the one who took the most difficult decisions because she wanted to take them. This is one of the rare times where my opinions about a character have such a big and complete inversion throughout a story.

In the mission, Sumika died as well. But the most surprising thing, at least for me, was that Sumika was the reason why Extra's Takeru came to that worldline, became a causality conductor, and continuously looped after each deaths. In fact, I thought the reason might reside in the Primary Objective. Instead, it was mainly Sumika's jealousy (and would she be better than Meiya?). A good plot twist is that the spy has always been Sumika, because of the ODL purification for which the reactor was used.
I feel to have missed some pieces of the puzzle in this Kasumi's explanation, though. Theoretically, at each loop, muscle memory carries on with Takeru, while the memory doesn't because of Sumika's jealousy. But, if we assume that each route in Unlimited in a separate loop (as it is explained), each time Takeru not only loses all his memories (and this is coherent with Kasumi's explanation), but also his muscle mass. Another doubt is: why was the last loop, the Alternative route, different? How did he keep his memories?

Now, we come to the end. Takeru returns to Extra's worldline, and... he forgets almost everything. When he sees Sumika, Meiya, Marimo, etc. his eyes are moist, but he can't understand why. There are also Yuuhi and Kasumi now, thanks to Alternative's Sumika. So, it is a happy ending, where however... all the development Takeru went on completely disappeared. Memory of the Alternative's world might have been a burden for Takeru, I understand that. But he overcame his fears and flaws, so he would have been able to appreciate what he achieved. And besides, Kasumi herself has the memory of her Alternative version, so... why not Takeru as well? That would have been a happy ending as well, but a more grounded one.
MLA thus ends. I feel this bittersweet taste because of this ending, but the journey was fantastic, in particular from the coup d'état ahead on.

I apologize for the long comments, and the several typos or English mistakes in them. But I really loved this VN and I liked sharing my opinions in intermediate steps (because I also like reading all the opinions written in this OT by others, about VN I have already played - it is always nice to read different opinions). I admit I sometimes take this opportunity to practice my English writing as well, so I doubly apologize.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Dany1899 Glad to hear you finished with MLA, go back some pages back and re read some of the discussion on ML, specially the discussion on the foreshadowing that ML Extra does.

I did not like the ending at all, going back to the world of MLE, betraying the sacrifices made by everyone, betraying me with the "you will carry that weight", happy harem ending BS and so on.

But oh well... I like what they did in general but they faceplanted at the finish line....... And Meiya got shafted in every single universe.

I hope that the sequel "Integrate" fixes that, that name carries implications and I hope they honor it.

From the pictures that Age accompanied the announcement, Yuuko and Akane are present. I wonder then if finally Akane will be a romantic option.... That company has been willing to allow romantic relationship with everyone except Akane on any VN, anme, ova, you name it.... and they have tease her since the very beginning with Rumbling Hearts.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
I got my 3080 and take I guess what's the first game I used with? I need those FeelsPS

KbiGOBG.jpg

rGyKwR8.jpg

And for whatever reason it uses a lot of GPU, lol

Otw2pko.jpg

ashen

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if global, but noticed the PS4 'Utawarerumono: Deception and Truth Bundle' is 80% off in the UK, not sure if global. Shame I just sold my PS4 in advance of the PS5, but might still pick up and hope for no backwards compatibility issues.

Utawarerumono: Deception and Truth Bundle

Follow the journey of Haku, Kuon, and Oshtor--a lazy amnesiac, a sly apothecary, and an easygoing general--from their humble origins in Mask of Deception to an epic global conflict of Mask of Truth What begins as a simple mercenary job escalates into one brutal war after another, full of bold...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I totally forgot that existed. Would love to see more of these games Ryukishi wrote translated, sure.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I don't know if I should watch the new anime adaptation for Higurashi. In the future I would like to play the visual novel (if it comes to Switch in the West, in particular), so I fear having watched the anime could impact it. Do some of you know how this anime adaptation will cover the visual novel (only partially, full adaptation, etc.)?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I should watch the new anime adaptation for Higurashi. In the future I would like to play the visual novel (if it comes to Switch in the West, in particular), so I fear having watched the anime could impact it. Do some of you know how this anime adaptation will cover the visual novel (only partially, full adaptation, etc.)?
It's supposed to be remake of the old one, so will most likely cover first 4 arcs in the 1st season and then the next 4 in the second.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

So I did break my (unintentional) long no TV and even longer no anime streak by watching the first episode. That's all that's out so it's a little hard to judge for this yet. My understanding is that it's a full adaptation, but I don't know how it's broken down by games and/or if there's going to be a break between seasons.

I think currently I would say to avoid watching if you intend to actually play through it. Even if you watch a bit and then end up playing before watching more, in the first episode there already were a couple things that I'm curious about the decision to show/hint at so early, though I guess it's nothing that you'd understand the meaning of by itself. (I should also say - be careful of reading people's thoughts on it, as the little I've seen both here and elsewhere seems pretty ready to openly discuss this in the context of the original anime and you may end up being casually spoiled as a result.)

If you do end up wanting to watch it and still play it after, though - in my opinion, one of Higurashi's biggest strengths is its first person POV writing and how their limited perception/knowledge/bias factors into your own understanding of the mystery. So there's inherently a lot of good stuff being cut that you'd still get out of the VN even if you know the plot from the anime, cause it lacks a lot of that just due to the medium. And I hadn't seen the original at all but I did know a few big spoilers and still loved the games... though almost all of the mystery itself wasn't known to me, to be fair. There's also already been some enjoyable scenes that were very understandably cut from the anime, so I expect that to be happening throughout. I just don't know if the VN's sometimes awkward/dragged out pacing (it was Ryukishi's first VN, after all...) will be as tolerable after watching it, and it'll feel as effective if you already know what's happening in each situation.

Well, there's also... so if that Switch version ever comes out - which I think is unlikely to happen anytime soon, but at this point for US VN releases, maybe anything is possible - it'll have a decent number of console exclusive arcs that are unlikely to be in the show at all. So if you did play it that way, I guess you'd be able to see that stuff for the first time. But the quality of them sounds kinda mixed, so I dunno if it'd be worth going out of your way for them or not. (And people have already ported almost all of them over to the PC version anyway.)

It's supposed to be remake of the old one, so will most likely cover first 4 arcs in the 1st season and then the next 4 in the second.

Hopefully they do it that way. As I mentioned above I haven't actually seen it, but the old anime was 1-6 in season 1 and then original arc+7+8 in season 2, wasn't it? 1-4 and 5-8 would definitely be a much better split if possible.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I might be in the minority here, but I just...didn't like Chaos;Child at all

I think it's the whole magical anime swords thing. I actually was really intrigued by the whole murder mystery aspect at first but then once the magical weapons shit started happening, it was just so jarring and actually threw me out of the whole experience.

the delusions aspect also didn't really do it for me either.

As a result I don't think I really comprehended the game's true ending. Sorry y'all I just didn't enjoy this one.

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
So two cours could be enough for a full adaptation, which excludes side routes (if there are any in Higurashi). For example, Clannad instead required more than 40 episodes to adapt the visual novel. I remember I have read that Higurashi is 60 hours long as Clannad, though - so some content will be cut for sure.

So I did break my (unintentional) long no TV and even longer no anime streak by watching the first episode. That's all that's out so it's a little hard to judge for this yet. My understanding is that it's a full adaptation, but I don't know how it's broken down by games and/or if there's going to be a break between seasons.

I think currently I would say to avoid watching if you intend to actually play through it. Even if you watch a bit and then end up playing before watching more, in the first episode there already were a couple things that I'm curious about the decision to show/hint at so early, though I guess it's nothing that you'd understand the meaning of by itself. (I should also say - be careful of reading people's thoughts on it, as the little I've seen both here and elsewhere seems pretty ready to openly discuss this in the context of the original anime and you may end up being casually spoiled as a result.)

If you do end up wanting to watch it and still play it after, though - in my opinion, one of Higurashi's biggest strengths is its first person POV writing and how their limited perception/knowledge/bias factors into your own understanding of the mystery. So there's inherently a lot of good stuff being cut that you'd still get out of the VN even if you know the plot from the anime, cause it lacks a lot of that just due to the medium. And I hadn't seen the original at all but I did know a few big spoilers and still loved the games... though almost all of the mystery itself wasn't known to me, to be fair. There's also already been some enjoyable scenes that were very understandably cut from the anime, so I expect that to be happening throughout. I just don't know if the VN's sometimes awkward/dragged out pacing (it was Ryukishi's first VN, after all...) will be as tolerable after watching it, and it'll feel as effective if you already know what's happening in each situation.

Well, there's also... so if that Switch version ever comes out - which I think is unlikely to happen anytime soon, but at this point for US VN releases, maybe anything is possible - it'll have a decent number of console exclusive arcs that are unlikely to be in the show at all. So if you did play it that way, I guess you'd be able to see that stuff for the first time. But the quality of them sounds kinda mixed, so I dunno if it'd be worth going out of your way for them or not. (And people have already ported almost all of them over to the PC version anyway.)

Thank you for your exhaustive answer. In most of the cases, I prefer experiencing a story in the original medium, and then move on to other adaptations (for example, I played Fate/Stay Night and Clannad before the correspictive anime; the same for anime deriving from manga). However, there were also expections where I watched the anime first: Steins;Gate is the most notable one, Robotics;Notes will be soon another one. And I ended up enjoying the visual novels as well, because they often provide a different narrative way for the plot. I will still think about it, because watching a 20-minute episode per week is tempting instead of starting another long visual novel (considering I am coming from Muv-Luv trilogy, I am playing Aokana and soon I will start the two Robotics;Notes game I have awaited for long). In that case I will try avoiding all the spoilers, absolutely - I usually manage to do that, hopefully it will be the same for Higurashi-
About the Switch version, hopefully PQube will decide to bring it in the West. I feel it would be a missed opportunity otherwise.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I might be in the minority here, but I just...didn't like Chaos;Child at all

I think it's the whole magical anime swords thing. I actually was really intrigued by the whole murder mystery aspect at first but then once the magical weapons shit started happening, it was just so jarring and actually threw me out of the whole experience.

the delusions aspect also didn't really do it for me either.

As a result I don't think I really comprehended the game's true ending. Sorry y'all I just didn't enjoy this one.
I would say the way that Di-Swords were incorporated into Chaos;Head worked better overall, namely due to the concept being introduced much earlier in its story and its wielders among the main cast being foreshadowed as key players in its resolution. Not much that can be said if someone just didn't like them being a thing at all and only wanted a straightforward murder mystery, though. The delusions also worked better in Chaos;Head as a result of not only what a paranoid and isolated mess Takumi was for the majority of the story compared to Takuru in Chaos;Child, but also because the former's delusions were established as having direct story consequences beyond forming and using a Di-Sword.

I didn't like Chaos;Child either, but my reasons were more related to its padding and lack of focus, its overall inconclusiveness, and it ultimately lacking any balance in how it treated its cast as it went completely off the deep end with its grimdark aspects. True ending not only failed to live up to the hype, it ended up giving me additional reasons to resent the game.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that Ura may be the worse version of the 2 Miotsukushi arcs, but I'm still interested in checking them all out eventually. I'll probably end up doing some of those sooner rather than later despite that being a bad idea for my backlog; I'm just a little too curious and Higurashi is still on my mind a lot.

Actually... thinking about it, the way to do this may be to just play them as the anime finishes the relevant arc for each; that'll let me pace it out a bit more while refreshing me on what to keep in mind going in to them. But I'd probably still leave Someutsushi -> Ura (the Advanced Story Sequence?) specifically for later, maybe sometime next year.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
-Todokanai Koi-

Sp5f9uY.png

I just finished WA2 Introductory Chapter, again..... still the best VN.

It has been 6 years maybe since I first played it? I doesn't hurt as much as I already know what's going to happen and yet, still hits like a truck.

I love how a "simple" story can flourish into this.

A series of tips to any of you that might play this in the future:

You need to play twice IC or else you wont get to see extremely important scenes, fast forward is your friend for the second playthrough. The game is not clear about this.

The DMM and DVD extended editions are the ones that can get patched.

Once you patch the game, make sure that the video with the LEAF logo and the Todokanai text is shown at the start, after that make a copy of the installation folder. For whatever reason after some time the installation files get bugged and the video player wont work correctly, you will only hear the audio with a black screen when a video is played. When that happens -when you dont see the LEAF logo at the start of the game - just use the back up copy of the files. That happened to me on 3 separate computers. Needless to say, if you dont do that you will miss out on the ending.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see see if this is the heavily editing version. Didn't they go far as to censor kissing or something in it?

According to Gematsu: "Eastasiasoft will distribute a limited print physical edition of MoeNovel-developed romance visual novel If My Heart Had Wings for Switch featuring an improved localization and all content from the Japanese version, the company announced."

Reading some EAS replies, sounds like it's improved compared to the PC release, not the already available digital Switch release.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
According to Gematsu: "Eastasiasoft will distribute a limited print physical edition of MoeNovel-developed romance visual novel If My Heart Had Wings for Switch featuring an improved localization and all content from the Japanese version, the company announced."

Reading some EAS replies, sounds like it's improved compared to the PC release, not the already available digital Switch release.

Oh nice, finally a "definitive" english version! I don't normally buy Asian copies of games, since I've been strictly buying NA copies, but I've made the exception for EAS LEs, with stuff like Seabed and Root Double (despite the upcoming Switch version, which I'll probably get too).

EDIT: Ah missread this, so it looks like it still might have some of those changes in it?

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Just saw this on Twitter. I'm also really curious as to whether this will come to the digital version on the eShop as a patch. Was always really interested in this one but put off by the heavy censorship and lacklustre localisation.

This year really is fantastic for Western VN releases. Gonna pick up Iwaihime on Steam too.

As I've said before though, I really don't want to support Play-Asia, so this is potentially frustrating for me.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw this on Twitter. I'm also really curious as to whether this will come to the digital version on the eShop as a patch. Was always really interested in this one but put off by the heavy censorship and lacklustre localisation.

This year really is fantastic for Western VN releases. Gonna pick up Iwaihime on Steam too.

As I've said before though, I really don't want to support Play-Asia, so this is potentially frustrating for me.

I believe the physical release is identical to the digital release and that they were comparing it to the older PC release.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I read further in the Tweets that it sounds like this WILL be the exact same as the Japanese Switch version, so that's good. I I thought I remember hearing that the digital Switch version had the extra censoring that the PC version had, but maybe they were only referring to the bad translation. No one expected it to have the H scenes in it, but I just remember hearing about the PC version censoring kissing and very tame stuff like that.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I read further in the Tweets that it sounds like this WILL be the exact same as the Japanese Switch version, so that's good. I I thought I remember hearing that the digital Switch version had the extra censoring that the PC version had, but maybe they were only referring to the bad translation. No one expected it to have the H scenes in it, but I just remember hearing about the PC version censoring kissing and very tame stuff like that.

The digital Switch releases are the same across the board. The one released in Japan was the same released in the West.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I completed Asuka's route in Aokana. I decided to play the routes in the order their branching choices appear, as I did for The Fruit of Grisaia. However, I feel like Asuka's route might be a sort of "true route", for a number of reasons:
At the beginning of Aokana, Masaya makes a promise and gives a present to a girl he met during his childhood, when he was still loving Flying Circus. In Asuka's route, there are multiple hints she is that girl. That present Masaya gave that child is clearly the Zephyrion figure Masaya was so fond of when he was a child. The appearance of Zephyrion was shown in a dedicated CG (why did they use a CG for that? I thought initially), then the appearance of Mr. Robot, the present Asuka received from her childhood "female" friend, was shown at the end of Asuka's route. Well, they are the same. And the plastic hairclip Asuka wears clearly comes from that figure. The only contradiction would be the fact that according to Asuka her childhood friend was female, not male. But maybe she doesn't remember well after so many years, or in other routes this aspect will be better clarified. But it is quite evident Asuka is that child.
This is a first reason why this route seems the "true one", because Asuka is the heroine who appears at the beginning itself of Aokana. Another reason is how much she improves, how she learns so many techniques to defeat Inui, and at the end she participates to the World Championships. I don't think the other heroines will be able to achieve such big accomplishments in their routes. Besides, the last episode of the common route shown the face of Asuka while watching Inui defeating Shindou, as if it was hinting how she would be the only one able to defeat her, before the starting of her route.
Probably the other routes will focus a bit less on FC, or they will investigate other aspects. After all, there are other FC players who were presented in the last episode of the common route: Kasumi Kurobuchi and the Masked Skywalker (that is clearly Minamo Shinase, though). They might be the main "enemies" in FC for the other heroines.
Final consideration: I expected that the "male" opponent who made Masaya leave FC was present as a character in the VN. Initially I thought it would have been Shindou, but I don't think so anymore. But there aren't other relevant male character to fit that role. Maybe they were a "female" opponent, as for the Asuka's childhood friend? In that case, Misaki would be a valid option, since that child was considered a prodigy by Masaya, and Misaki is quite a good player even though she doesn't like practising.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! How long did it take you? I've been playing the PS4 releases for review and I'm still a little over halfway through Elite.

Aha I got my review copy a little late so I spent my whole weekend playing it. Between both games, I can see it being like, 40+ hours? It really depends on how fast you read lol