• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, but I made a mistake I meant to post Never 7 and not Ever 17 I got them mixed up for a second I will edit my post to be more clear.
I will need this anyway since I plan to play Ever 17 If I can get Never 7 to work
Pretty sure that you need a DLL file or something to get N7 to run.

Give me a few hours and I'll post it from my installation.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure that you need a DLL file or something to get N7 to run.

Give me a few hours and I'll post it from my installation.

Can you do me a favor and just check to see if it runs if you already have it installed?
I had it working 2days ago but then windows updated and now it only launches the game I would say 1 in 20 times and that would not be so bad but you can't tab out at all in fullscreen, Strange thing is that it will launch if I don't have a audio device turned on/plugged in so i'm trying to figure out if it's a bug with the new builds of windows or a issue with my install of said updates.

As always it can be kind of hard to tell what is going wrong with the older VNs.
I normally would just move on to read other things but I was already a few hours in so I kind of don't want to drop it even though it's been pretty mediocre so far but I want to stick with it rather than skip right to Ever 17.
Anyway thanks for the help

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can you do me a favor and just check to see if it runs if you already have it installed?
I had it working 2days ago but then windows updated and now it only launches the game I would say 1 in 20 times and that would not be so bad but you can't tab out at all in fullscreen, Strange thing is that it will launch if I don't have a audio device turned on/plugged in so i'm trying to figure out if it's a bug with the new builds of windows or a issue with my install of said updates.

As always it can be kind of hard to tell what is going wrong with the older VNs.
I normally would just move on to read other things but I was already a few hours in so I kind of don't want to drop it even though it's been pretty mediocre so far but I want to stick with it rather than skip right to Ever 17.
Anyway thanks for the help
I can get it to work with the option that disables sound (e.g. run the "CD" .exe). It doesn't work for me either, otherwise- furthermore, somehow most of my installs lack an executable (thankfully I found one place where I had the full install).

Transfer your install directory (the Never7 folder) into C:\ (the root directory), that helps sometimes. Also, check if your files are read-only. Does it give you an error saying it's missing chara.dat or SoundServer.dll ? I have those files and can send them if you need them.

Checked various compatibility settings, etc. to no avail, not even renaming the .exe helped. I hope you can find an answer soon ^^;

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can get it to work with the option that disables sound (e.g. run the "CD" .exe). It doesn't work for me either, otherwise- furthermore, somehow most of my installs lack an executable (thankfully I found one place where I had the full install).

Transfer your install directory (the Never7 folder) into C:\ (the root directory), that helps sometimes. Also, check if your files are read-only. Does it give you an error saying it's missing chara.dat or SoundServer.dll ? I have those files and can send them if you need them.

Checked various compatibility settings, etc. to no avail, not even renaming the .exe helped. I hope you can find an answer soon ^^;
Thanks so much for checking so that means that the newer updates of windows broke it at least the ver with the OST so I guess I need to roll back windows or see if my super old windows 7 machine still works and I can put it on that and play.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks so much for checking so that means that the newer updates of windows broke it at least the ver with the OST so I guess I need to roll back windows or see if my super old windows 7 machine still works and I can put it on that and play.
Good luck! At worst, it means installing a Virtual Machine.

Never7 is nice. Stick with it, but don't expect sci-fi wackyness; savor the atmosphere and the soundtrack (I don't get how or why but I love its campyness to the death)

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck! At worst, it means installing a Virtual Machine.

Never7 is nice. Stick with it, but don't expect sci-fi wackyness; savor the atmosphere and the soundtrack (I don't get how or why but I love its campyness to the death)

Rolled back to an older build of windows 10 and that fixed it instantly so i'm going to try and rush through it so I can be on a more current build.

Now as for the game itself I had a pretty good chuckle when I saw the CRT tv even though the game takes place in 2019.The UI feels so dated with it's rainbow text box that it's honestly refreshing. I'mNot sure how far I am but the last major thing that came up was
cloning
i'm enjoying it for what it is,I started it because a friend of mine said I would like Ever 17 since I liked root double but I did not want to skip this one since it shares the same universe and i'm into that sort of thing.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There'a another bundle with VNs at Humble Bundle:

Tiers are as follows, with more games being revealed in 7 days:
  • $1 tier
    • Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Ruler- (not a VN)
    • RaidersSphere4th (not a VN)
    • Sunrider Academy
    • KARAKARA
    • fault - milestone one
    • fault - milestone two side:above
  • BTA tier
    • HuniePop
    • HunieCam Studio
    • Root Double -Before Crime * After Days-
    • Sunrider: Liberation Day - Captain's Edition
    • A Magical High School Girl (not a VN)
    • Just Deserts
  • $12 tier
    • Saku Saku: Love Blooms with the Cherry Blossoms
    • KARAKARA 2
    • NEKO-NIN exHeart
    • NEKO-NIN exHeart +PLUS Nachi
    • NEKO-NIN exHeart +PLUS Saiha

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Most of them were already listed last time... Might buy for a couple.

Edit: more to be added to $6.25 tier in 6 days... I'll wait till then.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone played Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Ruler- or RaidersSphere4th? I basically already have all the good games from that bundle (Root Double, fault milestone) so those are only reason I might choose to buy T1.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a OELVN bundle at Indiegala, currently for $2.5:
https://www.indiegala.com/indiegala-saphire-lovers-steam-games-bundle

However, the games seem to be medicore at best, so it is probably not worth grabbing unless you're looking to pad your collection. Average VNDB vote and number of reviews are listed in brackets:

• True Lover's Knot [3.0 @ 11]
  • The Agency: Chapter 1 [6.5 @ 2]
  • The Ghosts of Hackney Mills [NA]
  • The Grand Ball* [4.2 @ 3]
  • One Last Chance [5.6 @ 11]
  • Fix Me Fix You* [6.4 @ 5]
  • Last Days of Spring Visual Novel [3.8 @ 20]
  • Captain Firebeard and the Bay of Crows* [NA]
  • Heart and Seoul* [3.8 @ 10]

* Plus soundtrack and director's commentary DLC.

So THAT'S why it took so long!

According to their Kickstarter update, there'll also be a limited amount of the collector's editions (for PC) available via Rice Digital:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/2104537

I missed out on the Kickstarter, so I might try to get in on that.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
According to their Kickstarter update, there'll also be a limited amount of the collector's editions (for PC) available via Rice Digital:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/2104537

I missed out on the Kickstarter, so I might try to get in on that.

Sounds like the store offerings will be VERY limited, so definately jump on it asap! At least it gives a second chance to non-backers.

Glad to see that every other physical good (especially the Figma) is sitting there waiting on us. I was right to be optimistic, after all the "another doomed Kickstarter!" comments.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
The last update was in December, which was a holiday one and the previous one before (also in December) that had this in it:
  • Rewards with an estimated delivery of August 2017 will now be fulfilled by April 2018.
  • Rewards with an estimated delivery of October 2017 will now be fulfilled by June 2018.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
When I tried Muv Luv off steam, I was very put off by what was the worst fanservice scene I've ever seen, with an intentional grope and him hitting her when she complains about it later. I don't have a problem with fanservice in general, but that scene is extremely bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCdMgR9PY-4&feature=youtu.be&t=624

I couldn't keep playing after that. It was very surprising from the first 10 minutes of one of the most highly praised visual novels.

Is it intentional for you to hate the protagonist or what?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
When I tried Muv Luv off steam, I was very put off by what was the worst fanservice scene I've ever seen, with an intentional grope and him hitting her when she complains about it later. I don't have a problem with fanservice in general, but that scene is extremely bad.

I couldn't keep playing after that. It was very surprising from the first 10 minutes of one of the most highly praised visual novels.

The one with all the praise is Alternative. Rather unfortunate you have to suffer through garbage twice to get to it.

Marche90

Oct 25, 2017

We love Alternative, not Extra. Not by a long shot. Even those of us who really like the payoff of Alternative coincide that Extra is a total slog to go through. That said, the rewatch bonus is strong with that one, lost of small foreshadowing that WILL go through your head on your first playthrough.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean the whole point of extra is to be a absurd parody of anime tropes and honestly if you look at through that lens it's pretty well done for what it. I also would not call him insufferable or anything but Takeru does changed significantly throughout the series.

Anyway I see Gahkthun of the Golden Lightning is on sale on steam anyone know if this a alright game to introduce me to liar soft games?

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Himawari and Gahkthun.
I have also been thinking of picking up symphonic rain but I want to ask if the only change in the steam version is the art work?

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Stuff I read pretty recently:

Grisaia no Meikyuu - The grand route is definitely the best one story-wise in the series (although not the one I enjoyed the most), and we finally get to know about Yuuji's past and what brought him to where he is now. Unfortunately, I'd prefer if they cut the after stories for the girls as I found only one or two actually nice to read

Grisaia no Rakuen - Finally, the conclusion to the series. Basically nonsense happen throughout the entirety of it, but that's what makes it so fun. If you don't try to make sense of every part of it, you're in for a great ride

Root Double - Excellent mystery with sci-fi elements. Hooks you up right from the beginning until the end although it does have some pacing issues, especially in Root Before. The twists don't have much of an effect as they are heavily foreshadowed but it pays off and nothing feels out of place or sudden, everything is hinted.

Noble Works - The character cast is really good and pretty much what made me stick to it and the protagonist isn't that bad as well. Some nice SoL stuff although the story itself is really average. A rather big problem I have with the visual novel is that after reading a route or two, you get the point and it becomes pretty tiring to read after that, but still worthwhile for me at least
Also must say that Yuzusoft's art is absolutely fantastic imo

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finishing up Never 7 and it was alright,I found some routes were way than others most notably Izumi's was pretty good for what it was and did not feel rushed like the others.
It's always fun to go back to some older VNs and see how the medium has changed over the years.I don't particularly like skipping past huge parts of the common route over and over to get points so by the time I was on the last few it was starting t o get to me.

Should I even bother going through the append story? That is pretty much all I have left and I still need to get some bad ends.

Dangerous1992

Oct 26, 2017
Finishing up Never 7 and it was alright,I found some routes were way than others most notably Izumi's was pretty good for what it was and did not feel rushed like the others.
It's always fun to go back to some older VNs and see how the medium has changed over the years.I don't particularly like skipping past huge parts of the common route over and over to get points so by the time I was on the last few it was starting t o get to me.

Should I even bother going through the append story? That is pretty much all I have left and I still need to get some bad ends.
i wouldn't really bother, if you dont have the time or have other VNs to read, you can't even save during the append story.

If you haven't already, enjoy Ever17 and Remember11, even today they suprise many readers, they really show what is possible in this medium.

And obviously after them i highly recommend to read Root Double and I/O, to see how Nakazawa's VN's evolved during the years. Root Double is my favourite of the bunch, especially because of the strong characters it has i guess, it's not nearly as twisty as the others, but it has a really satisfying way of connecting the dots and pieces of the plot.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you haven't already, enjoy Ever17 and Remember11, even today they suprise /really show what is possible in this medium.
Seconding this. E17 and R11 are still some of the best sci-fi/thriller/mystery works in the entire medium. They also... "heavily inspired" Uchikoshi's later work in a few ways. Ever17's cast, save for Sora (my favorite character in any VN) isn't THAT good beside the twists they have, but Remember11 also has a pretty great cast and a rather controversial ending.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't really bother, if you dont have the time or have other VNs to read, you can't even save during the append story.

If you haven't already, enjoy Ever17 and Remember11, even today they suprise many readers, they really show what is possible in this medium.

And obviously after them i highly recommend to read Root Double and I/O, to see how Nakazawa's VN's evolved during the years. Root Double is my favourite of the bunch, especially because of the strong characters it has i guess, it's not nearly as twisty as the others, but it has a really satisfying way of connecting the dots and pieces of the plot.
Seconding this. E17 and R11 are still some of the best sci-fi/thriller/mystery works in the entire medium. They also... "heavily inspired" Uchikoshi's later work in a few ways. Ever17's cast, save for Sora (my favorite character in any VN) isn't THAT good beside the twists they have, but Remember11 also has a pretty great cast and a rather controversial ending.

The plan is to move on to Ever17 sometime next week,i'm looking forward to it as it's definitely up my alley as I really enjoyed Root Double.
I was kind of surprised when I was reading Never 7 to see that Nakkazawa has always always heavily cared about continuity, Root Double was the first work I read of his so I thought it was a one off thing.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The plan is to move on to Ever17 sometime next week,i'm looking forward to it as it's definitely up my alley as I really enjoyed Root Double.
I was kind of surprised when I was reading Never 7 to see that Nakkazawa has always always heavily cared about continuity, Root Double was the first work I read of his so I thought it was a one off thing.
If you can read Japanese and have enjoyed Infinity series, I strongly recommend you take a look at Dei Gratia no Rashinban as well. It's doujin game inspired by Ever 17, and I found it holds up excellently as standalone hidden gem. There are some problematic elements quality-wise but it performs better in some areas as well.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can read Japanese and have enjoyed Infinity series, I strongly recommend you take a look at Dei Gratia no Rashinban as well. It's doujin game inspired by Ever 17, and I found it holds up excellently as standalone hidden gem. There are some problematic elements quality-wise but it performs better in some areas as well.
Regrettably I am nowhere near the skill level required to read an unvoiced VN as my kanji knowledge is lacking but I will put it on my list so if make it to that level I will read it.
Just on a bit of a tangent with all the localized games that come over now one feature that stands out to me is the ability to switch between languages quickly, I found it can be very helpful and it's a fun way to read.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Higurashi Ch.5.
Shion is the best character by far. I kinda wish All cast reviews returned but I understand why they didn't and the chapter overview was a neat look.
Now time to wait for both ch. 6-8 and the Fata Morgana fan disc to release. Hurry up Mangagamer :/

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Still not sure why Sekai did not have a European version in the first place. Guess they had more refund requests than expected.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Muv-Luv Extra is that bad actually. It's a product of its time though. You have Zidane groping Garnet's ass in FFIX. Muv-luv came out in 2003, lots of people don't seem to realize that.

After putting a significant amount of time in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, I'd say age is extremely good at writing mundane student life (in a anime trope-y fashion of course), something many acclaimed VNs such as Stein;Gate, Ever 17 and Fate/stay night are lacking. I don't understand how people can say Extra is garbage while suffering through the long and boring parts of Ever17 and Stein;Gate without complaints. Extra is so lively.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Muv-Luv Extra is that bad actually. It's a product of its time though. You have Zidane groping Garnet's ass in FFIX. Muv-luv came out in 2003, lots of people don't seem to realize that.

After putting a significant amount of time in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, I'd say age is extremely good at writing mundane student life (in a anime trope-y fashion of course), something many acclaimed VNs such as Stein;Gate, Ever 17 and Fate/stay night are lacking. I don't understand how people can say Extra is garbage while suffering through the long and boring parts of Ever17 and Stein;Gate without complaints. Extra is so lively.
Extra's character dynamics and tropeyness are unbearable.

Ever17 and S; G have much, much better atmospheres in more interesting settings. They also have significantly better-designed characters.