• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing Psycho-Pass on PS4 and I'm in mid-chapter 2. Thing is, so far the experience was more that of reading a book than actually than playing a game. Does user interaction increase or it's more of the same? Thanks!

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Psycho-Pass on PS4 and I'm in mid-chapter 2. Thing is, so far the experience was more that of reading a book than actually than playing a game. Does user interaction increase or it's more of the same? Thanks!

It's a visual novel, so no. Unless you count the mini game that you can play outside the main story.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. I'm more into Hotel Dusk type of games.

The Hotel Dusk games are hybrids if you even want to call them VNs at all. Stuff like Danganropna, Phoenix Wright, Zero Escape; they all have visual novel elements but aren't true visual novels as they have too much gameplay.

Most visual novels are limited to dialogue choices and nothing else for "gameplay". Some don't even have that and it's literally just clicking through text, which are called Kinectic Novels.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
And for all these years I have been looking the wrong way :/

What do you call visual novels with too much gameplay? :D

By the way, Root Letter was perfection for me!

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Nearing the end of first chapter of Chaos;Child. Damn, Takeshi Abo doesn't get enough recognition. His atmospheric tracks are da bomb.

Oct 25, 2017
Technically yes, but I don't see any harm in describing VN-heavy hybrids as VNs in daily usage
I mean, I don't think it's a "problem". There's no real harm in calling anything a visual novel. I was just responding to the question of what to call games that are more gameplay oriented rather than being traditional visual novels.

There are a lot of "edge cases" no matter how you draw up the actual definition of a visual novel.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what you classify things I would hesitate to call anything in Root Letter "interaction".

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
There's a new localization company in town, Nekonyansoft. They've got 5 titles lined up, with no crowdfunding plans.
Their press release: https://nekonyansoft.com/blog/2018-announcements
Article with more information about the games themselves: https://fuwanovel.net/2018/01/nekonyan-announcements/

I'm not super big on the titles they're bringing over, but more options is always good. Hopefully they take care with their translations and QA.

But before we talk about individual titles, I would say it's important to first off all talk about ourselves -- NekoNyan. You see, all of us had been pretty dissatisfied with how things were going in regards to the Western VN/eroge market. It just felt like many -- not all -- of the only few localizers don't really have a passion for what they're doing, nor do they seem to actually understand much about it.

We talked to many of the Japanese devs, and the truth is (unsurprisingly), they had been getting the same impression. That whole KS practice that just came to be the default for most companies is anything but liked over in Japan. One company we talked to said it'd feel like those localizers are trying to span a safety net, which would, in turn, give off the impression that they don't really believe in their title(s), nor care.

That has also been showing in the quality of individual releases, and also how the community gets treated. So yeah, we thought to ourselves that if we actually have the opportunity to try and change things around ourselves rather than lamenting the situation, we should give it a go, and we did.

Them's fighting words... but they're not wrong. (However, even companies like Frontwing have used KS... They just don't believe in us, I guess).

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
There's a new localization company in town, Nekonyansoft. They've got 5 titles lined up, with no crowdfunding plans.
Article with more information about the games themselves: https://fuwanovel.net/2018/01/nekonyan-announcements/

I'm not super big on the titles they're bringing over, but more options is always good. Hopefully they take care with their translations and QA.
I feel the same way. Hopefully if all works out they'll localize more interesting titles in the future.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Them's fighting words... but they're not wrong. (However, even companies like Frontwing have used KS... They just don't believe in us, I guess).
Given how volatile an industry this is, I really don't blame developers/publishers for wanting to cast a safety net. Believing in a product is well and good but I can stand lack of it if it's to protect the livelihood of their employees.

Titles they have so far seem to be bit boring/safe, I hope we'll see more interesting titles from them soon

Edit: But something tells me to not hold my breath on that front with a company called Nekonyansoft :P

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Personally I don't mind the use of kickstarters
It's just crap with situations like hoshizora no memoria that people want to avoid

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
A39SuXm.png

It starts.
I'll laugh my ass off if they manage to port all four of them before Mangagamer releases chapter 6

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The problem really isn't Kickstarters.

It's horrible management of Kickstarters. There's already lots of announced licensed VNs that take years and years to be released, so that's unfortunately not unusual. But when it's a Kickstarter funded project you owe it to the backers to actually regulaely update them on what's happening, fulfill rewards, etc. If you're not prepared to do that you should not be running a Kickstarter. If you can't do that due to the restrictions of your deal with the developers you should not be running a Kickstarter.

Rectangle

Oct 25, 2017
Took about six months with breaks in between, but I finally managed to read F/SN.
A very good read, but you're definitely in for the long haul with it - clocked in at nearly 100 hours.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested in Sanoba Witch because Yuzusoft art and Hello,good-bye because it sounds interesting. Rest will probably be a pass from me unless there's something special about them I'm missing.

Hope they do good work.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
We talked to many of the Japanese devs, and the truth is (unsurprisingly), they had been getting the same impression. That whole KS practice that just came to be the default for most companies is anything but liked over in Japan. One company we talked to said it'd feel like those localizers are trying to span a safety net, which would, in turn, give off the impression that they don't really believe in their title(s), nor care.
I completely understand where the developers are coming from, but if they feel this way, why continue to let companies use KS to fund localizing their games? I mean Neko could have been talking mainly with developers who do not allow KS to be the funding source so my question might not matter but I still find it interesting.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I'm new to VNs, playing through Fruit of Grisaia right now. I wasn't really into the common route until a few days before the individual routes started. I did Yumiko first, which I'm kind of regretting because she was most interesting to me, and am a little bit into the Amane route. In retrospect, I should have done them in the order the options arose because that matches my general interest in each route. Hopefully this one will pick up a bit.

Reading that back, it sounds mostly negative, but I overall am really enjoying it!

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

Hoping the best for them. Some of the titles they're bringing over look pretty interesting.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm new to VNs, playing through Fruit of Grisaia right now. I wasn't really into the common route until a few days before the individual routes started. I did Yumiko first, which I'm kind of regretting because she was most interesting to me, and am a little bit into the Amane route. In retrospect, I should have done them in the order the options arose because that matches my general interest in each route. Hopefully this one will pick up a bit.

Reading that back, it sounds mostly negative, but I overall am really enjoying it!
If player intends to 100% the game, I always found it good habit to play the main heroine last because such routes are typically one given more focus quality-wise and content-wise.

Actually several VNs have intended "playthorugh order" but strangely don't lock routes behind specific endings to enforce it, which is why I always try to look up recommended route order first.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey

So it's apparently headed by the translator of SakuSaku and Hoshimemo. Which were low quality localizations, one for which Sekai Project even made a public apology for.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, huh. Is that supposed to be any good? It's interesting to see a non-otome romance game get localized, but if it's not anything significant/well written I'm a little disappointed the effort isn't being directed elsewhere.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So it's funny.... Going through WAS –The Hourglass of Lepidoptera– right now (since it's not even on Steam and making the use of my Kickstarter...) and I was trying to think if this was the game that was based on "content tourism". Most of the game takes place in the slums of a town so I'm thinking "why would ANYONE want to use a setting like that to promote a town for tourism??" I check back at the Kickstarter page:

Set in Tottori City, WAS ~The Hourglass of Lepidoptera~ contains colorful depictions of places, sights, and local specialties. This project in content tourism attempts to showcase Japanese beauty and charm to players around the world.

We're receiving positive feedback for WAS, so please support us in its remake and translation for overseas audience. Thank you in advance

What is 'Content Tourism'?
Content Tourism is using media (movies, anime, video games, etc.) to promote local tourism.

About the Setting
The setting for WAS is my hometown, Tottori. Tottori Prefecture is the least populous in Japan, and its population continues to decline. Within Japan, Tottori is best known for its sand dunes, but Tottori isn't just a bunch of villages in the middle of a desert.

Where is Tottori? What's in Tottori?
Not only does Tottori City engage in cultural exchange with other cities abroad, but since 1950, many Westerners have lived in Tottori and engaged in cross-cultural communication. I can imagine that many of you out there have lots of questions, and it's my hope that players in both Japan and abroad can learn more about Tottori when playing this game.

....such a beautiful city and yet all you go to show for it is a poor side of town where the seedy people live?? Really? First they rigged the customer reviews, and now I find out that they based their city on... that? What a weird doujin group :/

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Steins;Gate 0 a few days ago. Been mulling it over, and have pretty mixed feelings overall. It had good highs, but not enough. And the lows were just so bad.
Anything involving Kagari was terrible, and dragged down any route she appeared in.

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Non-backer issues resolved
Posted by The Muv-Luv Team (Creator)
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update regarding the AppIDs for non-backers:

There was a misunderstanding on our end, the non-backers who have purchased any Muv-Luv games and haven't installed them can simply download the games anytime from their Steam library. And if they want to grab the new version AppID with the latest updates, they just need to contact us at [email protected] when the games are relaunched.

We'll be posting more details on how to receive the new AppID copies. We just need to make sure the games are working and everything is set up properly under the new account.

We sincerely apologize to Degica for the inconvenience, and to their customer support staff members who were patient enough to forward the issues to us. We'll be taking care of everything concerning Muv-Luv for backers, non-backers, and new Steam users going forward.

We would also like to sincerely thank Degica for everything they have done to bring the Muv-Luv project where it is today. We could not have done it without their dedication and expertise.

Sincere Regards,

Tanaka@The Muv-Luv Team

Customer Support - [email protected]

This makes a little bit more sense.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indie Gala currently has a Yuri bundle for $9 containing
  • Kindred Spirits on the Roof
  • Kindred Spirits on the Roof Drama CD Vol.1
  • Moekuri: Adorable + Tactical SRPG
  • A Kiss For The Petals - Remembering How We Met
  • Dead End Junction

https://www.indiegala.com/indiegala-anime-yuri-steam-bundle

This is notable for KSotR alone, since that VN has not previously been discounted below $18.
But from what I gather the price will increase in 24 hours.