• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Any suggestions for someone who has enjoyed the following games and is looking for a new experience:

- Ace Attorney
- Danganronpa
- DDLC

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I mean from the all-ages console version from Japan. No console game from an 18+ PC title in Japan will have everything.
Yes, that's why whining about censoring on an already censored version is inane.
Also might as well ask, for twists and depression what would it better to play Cross+channel or Swan Song?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's why whining about censoring on an already censored version is inane.

Oh I see what you mean after re-reading. Not that all of Sony's changes make sense, but the amount of "Sony censorship" comments on Twitter/Gematsu/Siliconera get too much whenever ANYTHING gets announced or even mentioned for PS4.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Any suggestions for someone who has enjoyed the following games and is looking for a new experience:

- Ace Attorney
- Danganronpa
- DDLC
Virtue's Last Reward is a sequel to 999, and Zero Time Dilemma is the finale. Ai the Somnium files also has the same writer as those. You might also enjoy Steins;Gate.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
looks like steiner and quof are translating evenicle 2 for alicesoft and steiner seems to be teasing more stuff on twitter, this is interesting

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017

This is the first I've ever heard of this game, but it looks really great. I love the concept, the artwork is really nice, and it might have gay romance???

Edit: The music is awesome too~

Edit #2: I made a thread, since I think this game will have some mainstream VN appeal on this site.

www.resetera.com

Korean "Communication x Survival" VN Buried Stars releases worldwide for Switch/PS4/Vita* on July 30th

I wasn't even aware this game existed until today, but this very cool looking Korean mystery Visual Novel, Buried Stars, has been confirmed for a worldwide release on July 30th for Switch and PS4. (*A Vita release was also announced, but will be exclusive to South Korea.) The game will have...

Last edited:

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
This is the first I've ever heard of this game, but it looks really great. I love the concept, the artwork is really nice, and it might have gay romance???

Edit: The music is awesome too~

Edit #2: I made a thread, since I think this game will have some mainstream VN appeal on this site.

www.resetera.com

Korean "Communication x Survival" VN Buried Stars releases worldwide for Switch/PS4/Vita* on July 30th

I wasn't even aware this game existed until today, but this very cool looking Korean mystery Visual Novel, Buried Stars, has been confirmed for a worldwide release on July 30th for Switch and PS4. (*A Vita release was also announced, but will be exclusive to South Korea.) The game will have...

EGUCHI TAKUYA IS VOICING ONE OF THE DUDES?
I'll take ten please.

Edit: Oh wow, Shimono Hiro and Eri Kitamura are also in the JP voice cast, if nothing else, the voice acting should be on point.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So Mages have an English Facebook page now and I thought this was interesting:

Note that the other posts they've made have been solely about titles they've localised already, with their English localised titles alongside the summary. Chaos;Head Noah ports next up after Robotics;Notes?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So Mages have an English Facebook page now and I thought this was interesting:

Note that the other posts they've made have been solely about titles they've localised already, with their English localised titles alongside the summary. Chaos;Head Noah ports next up after Robotics;Notes?

I think we'll be getting that one eventually, but I wouldn't read too much into that post, it's just one of the many Facebook posts they've made since creating the page.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think we'll be getting that one eventually, but I wouldn't read too much into that post, it's just one of the many Facebook posts they've made since creating the page.

Just think it's curious that every other title posted about has already been localised. Sure, it's the obvious outlier though being the other major Sci;Adv game.

They're running out of titles they haven't localised, so I think it's inevitable within the next few years.

I just want that Memories Off Collection.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
EGUCHI TAKUYA IS VOICING ONE OF THE DUDES?
I'll take ten please.

Edit: Oh wow, Shimono Hiro and Eri Kitamura are also in the JP voice cast, if nothing else, the voice acting should be on point.
If you could post some of that enthusiasm in the news topic I posted, I'd appreciate it. :)

People aren't really paying attention to it right now, which is a shame, since I think it would appeal to the Zero Time Dilemma/DanganRonpa crowd here, which is pretty sizable.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
An interesting interview about the localization of the two Robotics;Notes titles:
www.siliconera.com

Robotics;Notes Localization Staff Discuss Preparing Elite and DaSH One After Another

Robotics;Notes Localization Producer Toshihiro Beppu and Localization Editor Matthew Edwards talked about preparing Elite and DaSH.

I just report an excerpt about possible future works for the localization of SciADv series:
Which Science Adventure series installment would you like to work on next?

Edwards:
I really want all the Science Adventure series to be localized and released. Some titles, like Chaos;Head, feel completely forgotten, but I know the fans want to play an official English release. And of course, I hope there's more to come, perhaps a story bringing more characters together from different titles. DaSH has shown that the crossovers are a ton of fun, and I think a game featuring Kaito, Okabe, and Takumi together would be unforgettable.

Beppu: Though I know nothing about it Anonymous;Code is looking really cool! Unfortunately, I don't know anything about this title besides things you can search on the internet. I have nothing to spoil because I know nothing…

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
An interesting interview about the localization of the two Robotics;Notes titles:
www.siliconera.com

Robotics;Notes Localization Staff Discuss Preparing Elite and DaSH One After Another

Robotics;Notes Localization Producer Toshihiro Beppu and Localization Editor Matthew Edwards talked about preparing Elite and DaSH.

I just report an excerpt about possible future works for the localization of SciADv series:

I think either they are currently translating CH and just dropping hints (but under NDAs right now) orrr it's one of those "we can do it if RN sells well".

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I've been reading Utawarerumono Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth over the past few weeks. I've really enjoyed them a lot and don't want them to end, but I think I'm pretty close to the end now. Pretty sure Mask of Truth is going to wind up as my new favorite VN after I'm done with it.

I think the most pleasantly surprising thing about these is that I actually quite liked the SRPG gameplay part of it. I was expecting it to be something you just had to sort of force your way through between the VN parts, but I've actually had a decent amount of fun in the battles.

I don't really have many major gripes with the game. My two biggest issues are probably:

I really could've done without the constant sexual advances from Saraana and Uruuru. The game doesn't really have too much of this kind of thing in general, and it's a shame the only major source of it is from the two slave characters. It's pretty uncomfortable.

I'm not completely finished with the game so maybe this will look different by the very end (I just defeated Woshis' henchmen where they turned into monster-things) but I probably wouldn't have made all the Tuskur characters so ridiculously powerful if I were the writers. It feels like a country where everyone is just perfectly powerful and knowing. It's a bit lame to see Oshtor struggle with his Akuruka against those transformed henchmen just for every single Tuskur character to give off the impression that they could've handled the same situation with one hand tied behind their back with ease. It's not a huge deal or anything, though. I'll eventually be reading Prelude to the Fallen, so maybe there was a lore reason for them all being OP I just forgot (I watched the Utawarerumono anime a few years ago).

But yeah overall I'm really loving my time with these games. I look forward to reading Prelude to the Fallen eventually, but probably not right away.

Oct 25, 2017
If any of you remember the excellent horror visual novel: Phenomeno, then you'll remember the rest of the light novels weren't translated. Well, I decided to start translating from chapter three onwards, and you can read the progress on Baka-Tsuki.

I don't know how far I'm gonna get, my Japanese isn't perfect yet, and this is my first time translating, but I'll give it a go.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So has Necrobarista been discussed here? Only just catching up with it myself despite being peripherally aware of it for a while and the trailers have completely sold me. Giving me Zero Escape x VA-11 HALL-A vibes.

Released today.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
For that one I will need to watch some gameplay first. Apparently it's in first person, and sometimes that perspective makes me really barfy. So I'd need to see how movement works in this first.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
For that one I will need to watch some gameplay first. Apparently it's in first person, and sometimes that perspective makes me really barfy. So I'd need to see how movement works in this first.

I tried the iOS version with Apple Arcade and I definitely got a little woozy. I'll wait for the console release and see if it's any better.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So I kept talking about all the otoge I should be playing, and how I wanted to try Totono. But then a podcast I listen to has started to talk about Higurashi as one of the hosts (re)plays through it, after them having done so with Umineko... so I just finished Onikakushi a few minutes ago and will be trying to play the rest over the next few weeks.

It's weird to finally play this, after having played Umineko around its launch, but never having played this or even seen the anime - but unfortunately having read big spoilers that I still vaguely remember. But I've weirdly never really heard most of the specifics, or more likely have almost entirely forgotten what I've read of that. Most of the little things I know now are just from the first and second episode thanks to that first podcast discussion, and I'll be trying to catch up before listening to the future episodes, so I'll hopefully be able to maintain just being spoiled for bigger plot connections they mention rather than little things.

That being said, full series spoilers because I'm going to state what I know or think that I know, but mainly just my thoughts on the first arc while it's fresh in my head...
So let me say that I know the virus is a thing, though my knowledge is mostly like... just that, I know it's there and driving the paranoia and violence to some extent. Character-wise, it's mostly that IIRC the victims this time around are (some of?) the villains... which makes it interesting that they're the first victims. I guess I forget if this is a "catbox" like Umineko, if things can change prior to the loop's (kakera/fragment/whatever) timeframe, so I'm curious to see what's different about them next time or alternatively eventually see why they died. Uh... I guess I otherwise vaguely know that each question arc gets a specific answer arc, that Hanyu exists (but again mostly literally just that), and that at some point there are "hostages"...? I know other technical stuff like all the extra console routes and such, but very little about them again. So that's really the big stuff. It's kinda frustrating to know it now, but at least it's something largely mysterious that I can try to theorize around, or at least question how things connect, rather than knowing so many details that I know for certain what happened.

Anyway... I was kinda pleasantly surprised, in a weird sense of "pleasant", by the sheer amount of the horror that was just paranoia? I knew it was going to have a lot of that thanks to the podcast, but even then I expected there to be a point where Keiichi's blindsided by a threat being very real. But instead it was excruciatingly tense and unclear till the very end. It's hard to remove myself from this perspective where I know about the virus and that there would be unjustified paranoia, but even with that in mind it's not like I'm sure if any of the other characters actually fully don't know anything or if some really were intentionally behaving a certain way. At the very least, it feels like Keiichi's going to end up being very naive about his friend's lives. Cause what I can say now is: all of these kids are very weird from the start, and likely due to trauma for some if not all of them. They are overly dramatic, violent, casually cruel in some cases, always laughing inappropriately. Literally the first prank we see has the threat of Keiichi getting thumbtacks in his hand. Just about any scene once his paranoia begins could have entirely the same vibes as prior to the festival in reality; there's really nothing that actually characterizes anything differently beyond the supposed glassy eyed staring. Any scene of them questioning him could just as easily be legitimate concern. The needle in the rice balls could totally be badly handled escalation of their usual pranks, or fairly likely an accident by Rena's grandma (I think it was her's?) that made the rest of them, especially as Mio came across as if the real prank had been reasonable. Everything with Rena could easily be nervous self-defense, especially after whatever happened with Satoshi the prior year. And finally, seeing as Keiichi seemingly wasn't injected with the syringe and yet died as he did, it was probably a sedative or an antidote, or otherwise they did fully think he was the culprit as the result of their own "investigation" and interpretation of his actions...

Honestly, one of my stronger thoughts from playing the last section is: fuck Ooishi? I don't even remember if he's truly bad or anything, and that syringe stealing/note destroying thing could totally be a red herring due to him just not wanting someone else to find out that he knows about it, but he does some pretty objectively bad shit in this arc. Keiichi shouldn't have been told anything about what was happening or be asked to be involved, because a kid was never going to handle any of that well and absolutely wouldn't be able to deal with suspecting his classmates. And furthermore... holy shit his complete inability to think about Rena's backstory, or at least his willingness to mislead Keiichi with it. Rena was alone with 3 guys in shed and she ~suddenly gets violent~? She hurt one of them very badly and yet no one wants to talk about it so ~they must feel threatened~? Like... fuck off. Maybe I'm laughably overconfident here, but it feels pretty damn obvious that she was at best bullied (and more likely assaulted...) and they just didn't want it to be found out. And at that time, assuming the nurse's memory was even accurate, Rena very clearly talks about the curse as something that was coming for her, not that she was possessed - which is to say the curse's manifestation was the pain caused by the boys, not her hurting them. I'm sure those guys were happy to let that misunderstanding cover it all up... and that trauma obviously helps explain her behavior later on as well. That bit about what the curse was, if nothing else, feels like something the cops definitely didn't understand separate from Keiichi... whether Ooishi is included or intentionally has made it seem like that, I don't know.

I know next time gets into introducing Shion. I knew she existed and I know some about how her reveal is handled, but nothing about how she's explained or used going forward, so that'll be interesting. And I'm very curious if it continues to just rely on paranoia or if we'll get some shocking twists into open violence, as that obviously has to start sometime. I just wonder how much setup I'll have to sit through first, especially as I'm tempted to go start that right now...

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Is there anything out there that can top White Album 2? That VN has been in my mind for years and years.

I cant devote too much time to VNs due the the time investment needed.

So far the ones I've played and liked are:

Danganronpa
You and Me and Her
Toki Doki LC
Clannad

Now, I just begun Stains;Gate and after that I will go with the Muv Luv series, since everyone says that you will have PTSD after playing it- something that WA2 did to me.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Further proof that Buried Stars has some actual budget behind it. Looking forward to trying this:

PS: Oh, they made fake twitter accounts for the game characters. There is more cute artwork to be found there if you like the art style.

Please support my fave Gyu-hyuk Lee, there's only, like, a 45% chance of him murdering everyone, I promise.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Further proof that Buried Stars has some actual budget behind it. Looking forward to trying this:

I just wish they'd have bothered to put it in retail anywhere else besides South Korea - why not at least in Japan as well?

I'm certainly interested in the game, but not really willing to pay full price for digital only.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
There isn't really any way to play the full White Album 2 in English (or hope in future localization), is it?
I have always read so positive opinions about it, and it is sad not to have the possibility to experience it.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Is the Fata Morgana DLC coming out for PC? I've been holding out on playing the game until I can read all the content.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
should I just cave and buy house of data Morgana it's never on sale?
Do it.

Is the Fata Morgana DLC coming out for PC? I've been holding out on playing the game until I can read all the content.
Do you mean "A Requiem for Innocence"? That's already out on Steam.
It's kind of a sequel, kind of a prequel - either way, you should probably only play it after having finished the main game.

Not sure what else you could mean by DLC? The Steam version is the one with the slightly updated graphics anyway, but I wouldn't know where to get the old version of the game either at this point.
(I can't check mangagamer, because for pretty obvious reasons, that site is blocked on my work PC.)