• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
www.kickstarter.com

Update 61: Project Progress Update #20: VITA Version Development Progress & Goods Shipping Information · Re: Sharin no Kuni Project

(* 日本語バージョンはページ下部にございます) Greetings everyone, We hope that everyone reading this update is safe and in good health! Although the coronavirus (COVID-19) is still affecting our daily life in Japan in various ways, we're slowly moving toward resuming our normal lives. We hope that everyone stays...
We do not have any intention of giving up on this project, and we're determined to make these beloved characters reach our backers. We will continue working hard to achieve this as soon as possible.
Do not give me false hope!

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
www.kickstarter.com

Update 61: Project Progress Update #20: VITA Version Development Progress & Goods Shipping Information · Re: Sharin no Kuni Project

(* 日本語バージョンはページ下部にございます) Greetings everyone, We hope that everyone reading this update is safe and in good health! Although the coronavirus (COVID-19) is still affecting our daily life in Japan in various ways, we're slowly moving toward resuming our normal lives. We hope that everyone stays...

Honestly with the way they keep dragging the updates out I'd be surprised if they ever release it - especially on Vita. it seems like every update (which aren't even that frequent) there's something they can't talk about or some issue that's cropped up that they need to deal with.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
www.kickstarter.com

With Sony suspending certification due to corona and the pessimist in me believing it'll turn into an excuse to stop Vita certification altogether, I think it's dead.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly with the way they keep dragging the updates out I'd be surprised if they ever release it - especially on Vita. it seems like every update (which aren't even that frequent) there's something they can't talk about or some issue that's cropped up that they need to deal with.

With Sony suspending certification due to corona and the pessimist in me believing it'll turn into an excuse to stop Vita certification altogether, I think it's dead.

Well if it ends up not coming to Vita, at least Frontwing should not collapse after releasing it on PC and not giving Vita backers at least a code for that.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
www.kickstarter.com

I want to believe.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
More Grisaia is good news. I'm over half way the Fruit of Grisaia (working on Chizuru's path and only Amane's path to go), and even though it's really slow at no point I'm finding it boring.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a complete/definitive version of the game Root Letter available anywhere? With all the extras stuff that was eventually created/added on?

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I was looking at that on Steam, but it seems to only have the human actors for the visuals. Is there no version with the entire story and the hand drawn visuals?
Pretty sure both styles are an option based on the images on Nintendo's page for it:
www.nintendo.com

Root Letter: Last Answer for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

The return of the best-selling interactive mystery visual novel! Follow in the footsteps of Aya Fumino, a school penfriend allegedly involved in a tragic murder 15 years ago. Explore the prefecture of Shimane, uncover clues, and use the letters you wrote…

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure both styles are an option based on the images on Nintendo's page for it:
www.nintendo.com

Root Letter: Last Answer for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

The return of the best-selling interactive mystery visual novel! Follow in the footsteps of Aya Fumino, a school penfriend allegedly involved in a tragic murder 15 years ago. Explore the prefecture of Shimane, uncover clues, and use the letters you wrote…
Okay, thank you both~

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I played Root Letter Last Answer and indeed you can choose between illustrated and photographed, and you can switch during the game but only at the start of a new chapter.

It's a pretty nice game too IMO. Note that it skews more toward games like Ace Attorney with lots of moving around in locations and clicking on things than one in which you only need to pick a choice once every 20 minutes or so.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Now that I have finished the main story of Xenoblade, I started You and Me and Her. It is really nice, and I have already reached an ending in around three hours - I think it is a Bad Ending, because Shinichi didn't go to see Miyuki's performance, Aoi disappeared and that's all.
I don't know if I should try again without a walkthrough, or maybe following a guide could be useful to see all the endings.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Now that I have finished the main story of Xenoblade, I started You and Me and Her. It is really nice, and I have already reached an ending in around three hours - I think it is a Bad Ending, because Shinichi didn't go to see Miyuki's performance, Aoi disappeared and that's all.
I don't know if I should try again without a walkthrough, or maybe following a guide could be useful to see all the endings.
Just keep trying different options. Walkthroughs are not very useful for this game.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
was in the mood for a VN and decided to replay fata morgana so I can finally get around to trying out that prequel

was a bit worried going into this again that it would never be able to live up to my memories because my opinion of it was just too high but having played through the first door so far I actually feel like the opposite will end up being true somehow

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
was in the mood for a VN and decided to replay fata morgana so I can finally get around to trying out that prequel

was a bit worried going into this again that it would never be able to live up to my memories because my opinion of it was just too high but having played through the first door so far I actually feel like the opposite will end up being true somehow

You'll get to notice things you provably missed the first time around. I loved my second playthrough.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Just keep trying different options. Walkthroughs are not very useful for this game.
I think I will try that way. After all, I am already at 4 hours, and this should be a 10-hour-long game, according to what I read.
Today I reached what I assume being the (true) endings of Miyuki's route. I wrote "endings" because there were two alternative decisions to be made so that I could reach them, and in these two cases they were partially different. In the first, Aoi sabotaged the ending of the play to avoid Miyuki's first kiss with the male actor, where in the second Shinichi confesses much before the play, and then he discusses with the play members. And then the last scenes are instead the same. Now I entered Aoi's route, I think.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

PQube will be doing a poll tomorrow to see if there is still interest in a physical copy of the PS4 version.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
So, i recently decided to avoid playing TLOU Part II. I was like, "pfft, no way i'm touching that anxiety-inducing, horrific grim fuckfest, right?".

And then i looked into my Steam library, thinking that i really was in the mood for some fun VN experience. Oh, what's this? Oh yeah, that "Higurashi" game that they recently gave away.
Looks like i could be in for some entertaining, goofy anime "horror" hijinks, i guess. Nice!

And... Oh man.
That shit just broke me into pieces.

I mean, the characters are kind of interesting, and the plot seems to be genuinely intriguing. But the best part of it was how much the psychological aspect of the story was surprisingly well handled and executed.
That slow, methodical descent of the main character into suspicion, fear, paranoia, panic, madness is so genuine, reasonable and relatable, it feels so legitimate and well written.
And i say this as a person that sometimes gets kind of annoyed by how much usually anime characters rarely act and feel like real human beings.

And also as a really anxious person, it strucked me into all my weak points for this very reason.
I'm super hooked into it now, even though i kinda wish i wasn't.

Is every chapter going to be some very dark self-contained story with horrible unavodaible bad endings? Will the mysteries of the story be revealed sooner of later (with them hopefully not turning out to be super lame)? Is it worth it?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Oh my, what happened?
After Miyuki went mad because I (the player) went Aoi's route... she called God and now the game changed!
The game closed, restarted by itself and it patched as Miyuki requested. The story started again from the beginning, with a different (and older) VN style. I tried to save (after a 1 hour-long session I want to stop), but it seems not possible. So should I continue the game without saving anymore, in a future single session? I am not understanding anything anymore.
If I think that really, as Miyuki said, everything was made to make her with Shinichi, and that in fact 99% of the choices would lead me to her ending... Wow, I really love when a piece of fiction (novel, film, game, etc.) goes meta-fiction. I really wonder what will happen next.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, what happened?
After Miyuki went mad because I (the player) went Aoi's route... she called God and now the game changed!
The game closed, restarted by itself and it patched as Miyuki requested. The story started again from the beginning, with a different (and older) VN style. I tried to save (after a 1 hour-long session I want to stop), but it seems not possible. So should I continue the game without saving anymore, in a future single session? I am not understanding anything anymore.
If I think that really, as Miyuki said, everything was made to make her with Shinichi, and that in fact 99% of the choices would lead me to her ending... Wow, I really love when a piece of fiction (novel, film, game, etc.) goes meta-fiction. I really wonder what will happen next.

You won't need saves at this point, you just need to figure out how to break out of the loop.

A small non-spoilery tip, in case you didn't notice already: You can pick the scene you want to see in the menu.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
You won't need saves at this point, you just need to figure out how to break out of the loop.

A small non-spoilery tip, in case you didn't notice already: You can pick the scene you want to see in the menu.
Thank you, this evening I continued a bit, I tried to raise the affection points with Miyuki as much as possible. At a certain point, I managed to make her bring Shinichi on the roof and call God.. And, after Shinichi took her phone and dial up Aoi's number... it didn't work, because Miyuki can read the backlog! The explanation itself was in the backlog.
This VN is captivating me so much, I really thank everyone who suggested me here to try it. I won't continue it until tomorrow evening (if not, on Saturday), but I am looking forward to doing it.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I finished You and Me and Her - what an amazing visual novel! I totally recommend it to any person who loves visual novels - so I suppose most of the people who read this OT. It isn't so long - a bit more than 10 hours, but totally worth it! It is an experience I won't forget, of course. And, as others said, walkthroughs are really useless, you can avoid using them.
After finishing the VN, I "googled" about it, not fearing spoilers anymore. I found out that most of the parts are randoms (for example, favourite take-away food for Miyuki, favourite ice cream etc). Fortunately I carefully read all the scenes with her, otherwise I should have read twice. Besides, I found out that there exists a "bad ending" where, after spending six months with Miyuki, you are trapped in the loop forever, and you must delete your save data tor estart from the beginning. I am glad it didn't happen to me, otherwise it would have greatly impacted my enjoyment. It is strange they decided to introduce a bad ending with such consequences for the player.

I really loved the concept behing this game. YOU, as the player, want to see all the routes, and for this reason YOU betray the girls YOU confessed eternal love to. And, to understand this, the game makes YOU accept what no one would never accept in real life , that is Aoi's betrayal, and above all, accept that she still has to see Haru, under your eyes. And YOU do that just to see the ending of Aoi's route. The moment where Miyuki starts to kill everyone, and then she talks to ME, accusing ME of betrayal - that is the meta-fiction I love. The second part - the "loop" part - is amazing, including the part where YOU have to compute the number to call, for which YOU need a number YOU can find only in the real world, because otherwise Miyuki would find out it.

At the end, I chose Miyuki. The reason is that, in this VN, she is a sort of "victim". She turned out a "killer" and she imprisoned Shinichi in that loop, because of MY choices which made her crazy. So I wanted to redeem her.
Anyway I played the all-ages version of this game. If someone is interested, I don't feel I lost anything valuable in doing so. After all
there are "explicit" moments, like the moment Aoi is found out with Haru, even in the all-ages version

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I played the all-ages version of this game. If someone is interested, I don't feel I lost anything valuable in doing so. After all
there are "explicit" moments, like the moment Aoi is found out with Haru, even in the all-ages version

That's good to hear.
My impression from reading the full version was that sex scenes weren't actually that important. There were some minor details in some of them, such as Miyuki breaking the 4th wall during the replay of her first sex scene, and some parts played for shock value (SLURP!), but for most part it was just standard fare.

Out of curiosity, what was Miyuki favorite number and does the all-ages version have the scene where Miyuki tries to have sex with YOU? If not, then you missed out on the most awkward scenes I have ever read in a VN 😄

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Out of curiosity, what was Miyuki favorite number and does the all-ages version have the scene where Miyuki tries to have sex with YOU? If not, then you missed out on the most awkward scenes I have ever read in a VN 😄
In the all-ages version, Miyuki's favourite number is the number of times I "kissed" her (it was 29 in my playthrough). From what I found out on the web, in the +18 version instead it was the number of times she has sex with Shinichi, wasn't it?
About the second point, instead, it was only alluded that she wanted to, but nothing more -after all, I think that momen would have been "too much" for approval, for an all-ages version. Even though, as I said, I found strange that the scene between Aoi and Haru was so explicit. It was only a pair of sentences, but it was clear what she was doing. For example, there was an English slang term I didn't know the meaning, but everything was so evident from the description that I inferred the meaning before looking up. I think that, for that moment, they tried as much as possible to keep the importance of such a betrayal, because the future messagge would be "Aoi betrayed Shinichi as YOU did with Miyuki". All the other sex scenes were hinted, e.g. with Miyuki for the birthday of Shinichi.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the all-ages version, Miyuki's favourite number is the number of times I "kissed" her (it was 29 in my playthrough). From what I found out on the web, in the +18 version instead it was the number of times she has sex with Shinichi, wasn't it?
About the second point, instead, it was only alluded that she wanted to, but nothing more -after all, I think that momen would have been "too much" for approval, for an all-ages version. Even though, as I said, I found strange that the scene between Aoi and Haru was so explicit. It was only a pair of sentences, but it was clear what she was doing. For example, there was an English slang term I didn't know the meaning, but everything was so evident from the description that I inferred the meaning before looking up. I think that, for that moment, they tried as much as possible to keep the importance of such a betrayal, because the future messagge would be "Aoi betrayed Shinichi as YOU did with Miyuki". All the other sex scenes were hinted, e.g. with Miyuki for the birthday of Shinichi.

Miyuki's favourite number is actually a bit more explicit than that: It's number of times you've cum inside her.

I am not surprised that the scene I mentioned didn't make it to the Steam version. It is a way too long scene with forced auto-play, where Miyuki masturbates while describing her fantasy of having sex with YOU. On top of being incredibly awkward, it also took so long and was so tedious that I was sitting and fiddling with my phone by the end. The idea of having a heroine essentially try to rape the player was quite novel, but the execution didn't really pan out for me.

ashen

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished You and Me and Her also - excellent. Certainly wasn't expecting to be up until 5:30am reading (though finished this afternoon).

I played the 18+ version but only due to reading some people say about being important to the plot. However, from reading Dany1899's positive impressions, wish I had stuck with the 'all-ages' version. I'm not a fan of 18+ scenes at all, so those did take me out of what is otherwise an outstanding visual novel (for example - the scene mentioned in Exzyleph's post above). Just to reiterate, I would not use guides or walkthroughs.

One minor thing I am wondering, for those who have completed it:
Is there much of a difference if you 'lower' her affection points instead?

Last edited:

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Just finished You and Me and Her also - excellent. Certainly wasn't expecting to be up until 5:30am reading (though finished this afternoon).

I played the 18+ version but only due to reading some people say about being important to the plot. However, from reading Dany1899's positive impressions, wish I had stuck with the 'all-ages' version. I'm not a fan of 18+ scenes at all, so those did take me out of what is otherwise an outstanding visual novel (for example - the scene mentioned in Exzyleph's post above). Just to reiterate, I would not use guides or walkthroughs.

One minor thing I am wondering, for those who have completed it:
Is there much of a difference if you 'lower' her affection points instead?

Of course the +18 version is the complete one, and it reflects how the game was developed. However I feel the same as you, I typically prefer "all-ages" version and I am willing to sacrifice something unless it is really a totally different version.
About that minor thing,
I suppose they are just two alternative ways to get a chance to break the loop. But I am not sure of course; personally, I decided to raise Miyuki's affection points, to let her guard down. Maybe, if I decided to go against her, the "dinner" scene would have been different.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys expecting visual novel announcements for the New Game Expo event happening in two days?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Are you guys expecting visual novel announcements for the New Game Expo event happening in two days?
Today Spike Chunsoft tweeted that there will be info about Robotics;Notes (another trailer?). I don't think we will get announcements about SciAdv series, since they are promoting RN. But hopefully Spike Chunsoft will announce some VNs for 2021.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I have this deluded idea that Danganronpa Trilogy for Switch will be announced.

Can't think of anything major from Spike Chunsoft that we haven't already had a localisation announcement for. Maybe a few more otome from Aksys?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorry for the two posts in a row, but had a brainwave about something that could be in the works.

Could see Aksys bringing Gnosia to the West and announcing that today at New Game+. Genuine prediction, although I'll admit this is a bit of a pipedream.

I can see them bringing the Vita version too as download-only even, but the Switch version does have notable tweaks that makes that slightly less likely (Didn't stop them releasing both versions of Tokyo Xanadu, mind

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't (actually, I can) imagine what you thought during and after the Danganronpa section of this show.

im-in-despair.jpg

As soon as the 10th Anniversary trailer that we'd already seen started playing, I started chuckling knowing full well it would be an announcement of nothing and a reminder that there's a mobile port of DR1 now. When they started hyping it up even more and Kodaka appeared, my chuckling grew louder. When he waved bye having announced nothing, I truly gave into despair. 10/10 Danganronpa content entirely in keeping with the franchise.

Highlight of the stream really because it's finally given me that kick up the backside I needed to go finish DR2 finally.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I found my copy of Ar Nosurge the other day and was thinking "I remember back then, Ciel Nosurge would NEVER happen because it's sort of like a VN..." Maybe there's some hope now? I'm not sure if K-T west would go for it, but a better chance now than then.

www.gematsu.com

Ciel nosurge DX and Ar nosurge DX announced

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Gust have announced Surge Concerto series titles Ciel nosurge: Requiem for a Lost Star DX and Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star DX. Platforms and a release date w…

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I found my copy of Ar Nosurge the other day and was thinking "I remember back then, Ciel Nosurge would NEVER happen because it's sort of like a VN..." Maybe there's some hope now? I'm not sure if K-T west would go for it, but a better chance now than then.

www.gematsu.com

Ciel nosurge DX and Ar nosurge DX announced

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Gust have announced Surge Concerto series titles Ciel nosurge: Requiem for a Lost Star DX and Ar nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star DX. Platforms and a release date w…

I mean, there's some chance now. We'll have to wait and see, but it's not like I didn't already read that entire bible that this one guy compilled with dialogue from the entire game.