• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish I would have never been spoiled for that VN.

Is very nuts, it would have been great to experience first hand.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In many ways I feel a work of Totono's standing and reputation deserves an OT of its own. Otherwise it's going to be overlooked by those unaware of what 'You, Me, and Her' is, and it deserves more than simply bumping the announcement thread.

That said, are we even allowed to make OTs for Steam versions of games that have 18+ versions available elsewhere? Different kettle of fish, I know, and the Steam release is off-limits here too, but I know Saya no Uta is banned for discussion on Era.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In many ways I feel a work of Totono's standing and reputation deserves an OT of its own. Otherwise it's going to be overlooked by those unaware of what 'You, Me, and Her' is, and it deserves more than simply bumping the announcement thread.

That said, are we even allowed to make OTs for Steam versions of games that have 18+ versions available elsewhere? Different kettle of fish, I know, and the Steam release is off-limits here too, but I know Saya no Uta is banned for discussion on Era.
Saya no Uta is banned for pretty obvious reasons, but there have been threads about other eroge (such as Muv-Luv, F/SN, and Grisaia), and frequent mentions of other titles.

If you are considering making a Totono OP for the Steam version, then the best approach would probably be to ask the mods if it is OK. The version on Steam will have fan-service removed and plot-relevant sex scenes will be replaced by kissing scenes (no kidding), so it should at least pass the rule of thumb for what is inappropriate (i.e. not safe for Twitch).

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Saya no Uta is banned for pretty obvious reasons, but there have been threads about other eroge (such as Muv-Luv, F/SN, and Grisaia), and frequent mentions of other titles.

If you are considering making a Totono OP for the Steam version, then the best approach would probably be to ask the mods if it is OK. The version on Steam will have fan-service removed and plot-relevant sex scenes will be replaced by kissing scenes (no kidding), so it should at least pass the rule of thumb for what is inappropriate (i.e. not safe for Twitch).

How fascinating - rare to see replacement CGs made.

I'll ask a mod.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How fascinating - rare to see replacement CGs made.

I'll ask a mod.
Judging by the Steam page, they are probably just cropping CGs:
The second screenshot, the one where Miyuki is pointing a baseball bat at the camera, is simply a cropped version of the original.

They might also be doing stuff like using clouds of steam to cover up nudity in bath scenes, if there are any such scenes.
Both of these techniques are fairly common for all ages versions of eroge released on Steam and on console.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Judging by the Steam page, they are probably just cropping CGs:
The second screenshot, the one where Miyuki is pointing a baseball bat at the camera, is simply a cropped version of the original.

They might also be doing stuff like using clouds of steam to cover up nudity in bath scenes, if there are any such scenes.
Both of these techniques are fairly common for all ages versions of eroge released on Steam and on console.

Aah - the tweet made it sound like more work had gone into it than just cropping.

A mod is going to look into the appropriateness of an OT for us.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Totono, I also got spoiled a couple of things and I'd like to ask someone who has already played it how fucked I am:

I know the heroines are yandere and that there's 4th wall breaking stuff

...Is there any hope left for me?

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Totono, I also got spoiled a couple of things and I'd like to ask someone who has already played it how fucked I am:

I know the heroines are yandere and that there's 4th wall breaking stuff

...Is there any hope left for me?

I had been spoiled on a lot more than that, and I still had a hell of a time reading Totono.
So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm playing Steins;Gate on my PS3 (chapter 2) right now, and I'm just wondering, do the characters get any better?

I love time travel stories so I'm pretty invested in just the plot so far, but I honestly can't stand the two main characters. The protag's mad scientist schtick gets old VERY fast and ruins what otherwise would be serious moments. I'm also not a fan of main protag pervs (I loved Somnium Files, but this part of Date really fucking urked me). Also, Mayuri is just insufferable. She cried over a fucking chicken nugget lol

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
So I'm playing Steins;Gate on my PS3 (chapter 2) right now, and I'm just wondering, do the characters get any better?

I love time travel stories so I'm pretty invested in just the plot so far, but I honestly can't stand the two main characters. The protag's mad scientist schtick gets old VERY fast and ruins what otherwise would be serious moments. I'm also not a fan of main protag pervs (I loved Somnium Files, but this part of Date really fucking urked me). Also, Mayuri is just insufferable. She cried over a fucking chicken nugget lol
They do get better but there will still be scenes regarding the bolded.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I tried to play S;G after watching the anime but I found Okabe to be 100% worse in the VN due to fact that we can't escape his thoughts. Yes, I will die on this hill.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody is terrible and annoying until suddenly they aren't and everything is wonderful. It's a major hill to get over but it's worth it.

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
Got to Chapter 7 in SG and shit is finally getting interesting... but If I knew I had to sit through 15+ hours of lolicon, otaku and endless "chuuni" monologue to get there, I probably wouldn't have bought this during the Golden Week sale.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
They do get better but there will still be scenes regarding the bolded.

Everybody is terrible and annoying until suddenly they aren't and everything is wonderful. It's a major hill to get over but it's worth it.

Got to Chapter 7 in SG and shit is finally getting interesting... but If I knew I had to sit through 15+ hours of lolicon, otaku and endless "chuuni" monologue to get there, I probably wouldn't have bought this during the Golden Week sale.

How do the other Scifi VNs compare? like S;G 0, Chaos;Head, and Robotics;Notes?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I finally started Higurashi now that all of the main chapters are out - though I'm using a homebrew Vita VNDS port to actually play my copies. I used a music + SE restoration patch since a few friends of mine recommended it.

I absolutely *love* Umineko, and I'm definitely enjoying Higurashi so far! Original art or death.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Went to re-download Linear Bounded Phenogram on PS4 only to find no sign of it. Either I'm blind or it's straight up vanished.

Is it still there for others of you who don't have it installed?

Edit: Found it. It shows up in library as Linear Bounded Phenogram, not Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram. The irony of the fact I merely referred to it as the former in my post is not lost on me.

Edit 2: The fact that it shows up on your PS4 dashboard as that also, without Steins;Gate as part of the title really irks me.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
How do the other Scifi VNs compare? like S;G 0, Chaos;Head, and Robotics;Notes?

I can't speak to R;N yet either (I never watched the anime or anything). 0 has some stuff because Daru shows back up but is largely lacking that kind of thing, I feel. Okabe is traumatized and struggling with some serious issues during it, and I felt they handled it surprisingly well rather than being kinda edgy as I'd expected. It is pretty somber overall as ShyMel said.

Chaos:Head... lol. Let me just say that the reason I had little issue with playing as Okabe when I played S;G soon after C;H (still had some though, mind you) is because Taku is waaaaaaaaaay fucking worse. Okabe was a breath of fresh air after him. He is completely insufferable and unlike the other games, you don't even have the rest of the cast to make up for the bad parts because he is rarely around more than one other character at a time. There is a degree to which it is intentional, obviously, but it was hard to get a read on how much was intentional vs being otaku behavior you were supposed to actually sympathize with, and either way: it was not enjoyable to be in his head for the majority of the game.

Chaos;Child, though, handles that kind of thing much better. The main character is a bit of an elitist jerk at first but it's kinda just him overcompensating for his social anxiety, and that becomes clear fairly fast. The rest of the cast is solid; some may grate on you but I doubt it'd be close to S;G based on what you've said? The main characters are all high schoolers (same goes for C;H) so that may make it more acceptable for you, or may make it worse. IIRC some of the "positive" delusions (that's the choice mechanic in the Chaos games) got a little fanservicey, but that's about it?

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
hey guys I'm 4 chapters into steins gate right now witch is my first pure vn (I've played ace attorney and the first danganronpa) .

The games good so far but how do i deal with the feeling of hating alternate roots? I dislike weird alternate endings in story's and different routes has been why I have avoided visual novels thus far.

already there's a few branching story beats bases on phone answering and it annoys me greatly feeling like I'm missing content to the point where it's dragging down an otherwise good experience.

I really wish I could just go down the "true path" right away but obviously I want to avoid any spoilers.

any advice to work through these feelings as they will be a problem again when I start zero escape or any other VN

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
hey guys I'm 4 chapters into steins gate right now witch is my first pure vn (I've played ace attorney and the first danganronpa) .

The games good so far but how do i deal with the feeling of hating alternate roots? I dislike weird alternate endings in story's and different routes has been why I have avoided visual novels thus far.

already there's a few branching story beats bases on phone answering and it annoys me greatly feeling like I'm missing content to the point where it's dragging down an otherwise good experience.

I really wish I could just go down the "true path" right away but obviously I want to avoid any spoilers.

any advice to work through these feelings as they will be a problem again when I start zero escape or any other VN

I'm using this spoiler-free guide for true ending on my first play. Just watch out for the 6 True Ending Flags. I'm up to ch.7 and so far you just need to be mindful of the correct word to click when answering emails.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019

I've ended up skipping VN routes I disliked and no regrets by then reading a summary. I think in the end the devs want to leave a better impression if the reader cleared everything in order but I don't want to suffer through bad endings at the same time.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using this spoiler-free guide for true ending on my first play. Just watch out for the 6 True Ending Flags. I'm up to ch.7 and so far you just need to be mindful of the correct word to click when answering emails.

...why do that, though? There's literally only one other actual ending, and you should see that first or else you are missing out on part of the story. It's more worth it to instead dodge all the flags to get the other ending and then do a quick replay to get the flags the second time.

Everything else is a what-if style ending at the end of the chapter, that is very obvious and can easily be seen before removing on to the next one. The flags aside, it's an incredibly easy game to make sure you don't miss all the story in. I guess, alternatively, it does matter less than most games if you actually see that stuff and the quality definitely varies... but if you like the other characters at all, some are worth seeing.

I can understand the feeling of really not wanting to miss content, at least. You've absolutely not missed anything of substance yet, though, because every meaningful choice is only starting in chapter 4 or 5 IIRC; maybe it feels like you've missed stuff, but I think anything would be very minor if it even exists? And its structure is as I described above; it's very easy to see everything important in only 2 playthroughs, because most alternate endings immediately branch off from a very very obvious choice to not continue to the next chapter, and you can just reload after seeing those to move on. Otherwise there's just a different final chapter. The second time (with skipping already read text) you can get those true end flags, see a few extra scenes due to them, and then reach the new final chapter and true ending.

Regarding not liking alternate stuff in general... I can't really relate since I love that kind of thing, hah. Maybe for Steins;Gate it's helpful to consider the setting itself - each alternate timeline is an alternate worldline. Though it's true that some of those what-if endings are indeed "weird alternate endings", I guess? Most of the time for VNs different routes/endings are just ways to spend more time with different characters (which is true for S;G), and though the "true end" wraps up more of the story it also focuses on one character more than others. And often this true ending actually builds on what the other character-focused endings set up (though that's less true here) and can only unlock after you see those endings; in those games, seeing the other endings is an intended part of the story, not a completely detached alternate thing.

Now, for Zero Escape I will say that you will have to get over this if you're going to enjoy them at all. It is a series where it is absolutely intended - and aside from 999, required - that you will see every timeline. But there is a very solid in-game justification for this, and good systems in place to keep track of what you've seen and still need to see. Every timeline is part of the journey to understanding everything in the story and reaching the true ending, it's not less worth seeing just because it's not that.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
...why do that, though? There's literally only one other actual ending, and you should see that first or else you are missing out on part of the story. It's more worth it to instead dodge all the flags to get the other ending and then do a quick replay to get the flags the second time.

Everything else is a what-if style ending at the end of the chapter, that is very obvious and can easily be seen before removing on to the next one. The flags aside, it's an incredibly easy game to make sure you don't miss all the story in. I guess, alternatively, it does matter less than most games if you actually see that stuff and the quality definitely varies... but if you like the other characters at all, some are worth seeing.

I can understand the feeling of really not wanting to miss content, at least. You've absolutely not missed anything of substance yet, though, because every meaningful choice is only starting in chapter 4 or 5 IIRC; maybe it feels like you've missed stuff, but I think anything would be very minor if it even exists? And its structure is as I described above; it's very easy to see everything important in only 2 playthroughs, because most alternate endings immediately branch off from a very very obvious choice to not continue to the next chapter, and you can just reload after seeing those to move on. Otherwise there's just a different final chapter. The second time (with skipping already read text) you can get those true end flags, see a few extra scenes due to them, and then reach the new final chapter and true ending.

Regarding not liking alternate stuff in general... I can't really relate since I love that kind of thing, hah. Maybe for Steins;Gate it's helpful to consider the setting itself - each alternate timeline is an alternate worldline. Though it's true that some of those what-if endings are indeed "weird alternate endings", I guess? Most of the time for VNs different routes/endings are just ways to spend more time with different characters (which is true for S;G), and though the "true end" wraps up more of the story it also focuses on one character more than others. And often this true ending actually builds on what the other character-focused endings set up (though that's less true here) and can only unlock after you see those endings; in those games, seeing the other endings is an intended part of the story, not a completely detached alternate thing.

Now, for Zero Escape I will say that you will have to get over this if you're going to enjoy them at all. It is a series where it is absolutely intended - and aside from 999, required - that you will see every timeline. But there is a very solid in-game justification for this, and good systems in place to keep track of what you've seen and still need to see. Every timeline is part of the journey to understanding everything in the story and reaching the true ending, it's not less worth seeing just because it's not that.
Thanks for the detailed response very helpful. I guess for my own sanity I will ignore Flags and Route's and pretend they don't exist during my first play through.

I liked how in ace attorney and Danganronpa you could just go through one unified story not worrying about anything else making them ironically more similar to traditional novels for me despite being more gameplay heavy.

Follow up question do you feel like not just steins gate but VN's as a whole justify there alternate path's with strong narrative reasons for existing or do the exist just for extra what if scenarios '' for fun''. I'm a huge story first kinda guy and i guess one of my hang ups is if an alternate scenario doesn't benefit the story why is it there and if it is important to the story why is it not in the "main route' plus replaying sections for new content feels like its going to be a tedious pain even with a guide.

thanks for helping me through these feelings i want to get deeper into this genre since i love reading books i just need to get past this mental barrier

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Someone reading Higurashi 8?

So many feelings... will have to re-read everything when it's over

About Steins;Gate, does it have a flowchart like Zero Escape? Tbh multiple routes is the reason I avoided it until now.

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I'm unsure if I'll pick up Totono immediatly after release or a bit later, maybe I'll wait for summer when I can bingeplay it, one thing I know is that every time I visit the steam page and I see Nitroplus I'm reminded of Muramasa and my heart breaks every time

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Someone reading Higurashi 8?

So many feelings... will have to re-read everything when it's over

About Steins;Gate, does it have a flowchart like Zero Escape? Tbh multiple routes is the reason I avoided it until now.

There isn't but as I went into yesterday: the structure really doesn't require it. It doesn't branch like ZE does at all.

Basically, some chapters end with a very obvious choice that immediately gives you a what-if ending. There are also some specific conversation choices you need to make to get "true end flags"; if you lack these (which is likely + intended the first time through), you get a different final chapter. That's about it, so no real need to track anything with a flowchart. It does have a list of the endings you've gotten so far, though.

The flowchart guide that's been posted earlier only looks like that because the choices are mostly in text message conversations (and for the True flags you will need to answer several in a row correctly), and there are some optional things to collect for your phone from answering diffetent things too. So the branching in that is just internal to the texting and is not the actual story branching.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if retailers besides Play-Asia have the English-language Yumeutsutsu in stock? Looks like PA is already out, and I'd like to get it. I could always buy the PS4 version, but since my wife got me a Switch Lite a couple of weeks ago, I've been enjoying the Switch a lot more. Not sure why. Thanks in advance!

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if retailers besides Play-Asia have the English-language Yumeutsutsu in stock? Looks like PA is already out, and I'd like to get it. I could always buy the PS4 version, but since my wife got me a Switch Lite a couple of weeks ago, I've been enjoying the Switch a lot more. Not sure why. Thanks in advance!

IIRC, the Japanese release comes with English support as well.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017

Like Shizuka said, the Japanese Switch version has English texts included - I can verify that as I own it and tried.

Interestingly, Play-Asia now does listen the Japanese version as multi-language as well, I wonder when they canged that - they certainly didn't when it was released a few weeks before the Asia one. It's currently out of stock at Amazon Japan and Play-Asia saye available in 1-5 days, so seems like you'll have to wait.

As for enjoying the Switch more, Visual Novels simply are much more suitable for handheld devices - you don't want to read a regular book on the TV either.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Like Shizuka said, the Japanese Switch version has English texts included - I can verify that as I own it and tried.

Interestingly, Play-Asia now does listen the Japanese version as multi-language as well, I wonder when they canged that - they certainly didn't when it was released a few weeks before the Asia one. It's currently out of stock at Amazon Japan and Play-Asia saye available in 1-5 days, so seems like you'll have to wait.

As for enjoying the Switch more, Visual Novels simply are much more suitable for handheld devices - you don't want to read a regular book on the TV either.

I like earning trophies, and I like having my "reading list" consolidated on one account. So I liked playing on Vita and PS4, and I used my Vita for remote play a lot to play through PS4 VNs. But I'm just really digging the Switch right now. I have the Robotics;Notes release preordered for PS4, and I'll probably keep all the science/adventure games confined to that service, but I'm going to try branching out for some others.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
For those still interested in physical fault - milestone one (and waiting on news with the LRG release, which I assume this is):

twitter.com

Sekai Games on Twitter

“@TheRealRobPG @PlayStation This is a digital-only release, but we're planning a physical collector's edition as well. News will be coming soon.”

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
For those still interested in physical fault - milestone one (and waiting on news with the LRG release, which I assume this is):

twitter.com

Sekai Games on Twitter

“@TheRealRobPG @PlayStation This is a digital-only release, but we're planning a physical collector's edition as well. News will be coming soon.”
Who knows if it will be a CE exclusive to PlayStation, or also for Switch (where the game released last year, IIRC).

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
From the comments the game is rated T on Android and has in-app purchases. The iOS store has it as 12+ and the additional content seems to be gallery type stuff.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

fault - milestone one

Follow Selphine, the bubbly Princess and her sharp-witted Royal Guardian, Ritona, on their journey of a lifetime back to their homeland of Rughzenhaide.brbrExperience the story of a princess named Selphine and her Royal Guardian Ritona. When a sudden assault devastates their homeland of...

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018

fault - milestone one

Follow Selphine, the bubbly Princess and her sharp-witted Royal Guardian, Ritona, on their journey of a lifetime back to their homeland of Rughzenhaide.brbrExperience the story of a princess named Selphine and her Royal Guardian Ritona. When a sudden assault devastates their homeland of...
Oh wow, they managed to get fault out on consoles

a sign the apocalypse i near I suppose

lightning16

May 17, 2019
What are some of the Sekai Project games worth owning from this sale? I own Clannad and Little Busters and love them both. I've played fault milestone one and liked it quite a bit and I own two but I haven't played it yet. I also own G-senjou no Maou from a long time ago but I've never gotten around to it.

How are the World End Economica games? They're fairly cheap in this sale. $5-6 each. I have Baldry Sky on my wishlist but I'm probably going to wait a while on that one since I doubt I'll get around to it too soon. I have Nanairo Reincarnation on my wishlist because I think I read positive things about it here when it first released. Not a particularly good sale on those games, though. How good is Summer Pockets compared to other Key games?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not expecting anyone here necessarily to know the answer to this unless you've imported Clannad lately, but thought it was worth a shot.

I'm looking to buy Clannad physically for Switch and was going to go for the JP version now that's back in print, as opposed to the Limited Run version as it's a bit pricey for me here in Europe comparatively.

But now I find that version 1.0 on the JP cartridge has a gamebreaking glitch that requires the patch to fix. https://www.prot.co.jp/switch/clannad/info/index_en.html
The Limited Run physical is apparently prepatched on the cartridge.

Any chance that new stock of the JP physical is also prepatched or should I assume LRG is the only way to get a patched cartridge?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't think niche visual novels get more than the first print run in Japan, specially games that don't chart at launch.

I was under that impression too, but Clannad and the Grisaia trilogy were out of stock on sites like Amazon JP for a fair while with the only copies I could find new being on eBay. With ample stock springing up again I wondered if this was a fresh print run.

(Even then, it having the patch on it is probably unlikely)

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
And I finished Eden of Grisaia, too. That was a really good ending for this series. I mean
harem endings are not my favourite ones, but after all there were already good endings for each girl in the Fruit, so it was the only solution after all (even though they could have keep Kazuki outside of that harem)
However, what I liked the most is that the theme of this game was "Yuuji helped so many people without understanding how important he has become for them, and now it is their turn to make him understand it by rescuing him". Cacoon of Caprice was a perfect set-up of this final story, where each one has an important role, even Michiru who visited almost all the places in Earth in a single day!. Action, comedy, suspance, etc. were perfectly mixed. And at the end, I was at least surprised by Kazuki still having her body, I was convinced only her brain physically survived.
It took me so long to complete the trilogy, more than 100 hours, and I started it on December if I remember correctly. But it has been a great experience,

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
And I finished Eden of Grisaia, too. That was a really good ending for this series. I mean
harem endings are not my favourite ones, but after all there were already good endings for each girl in the Fruit, so it was the only solution after all (even though they could have keep Kazuki outside of that harem)
However, what I liked the most is that the theme of this game was "Yuuji helped so many people without understanding how important he has become for them, and now it is their turn to make him understand it by rescuing him". Cacoon of Caprice was a perfect set-up of this final story, where each one has an important role, even Michiru who visited almost all the places in Earth in a single day!. Action, comedy, suspance, etc. were perfectly mixed. And at the end, I was at least surprised by Kazuki still having her body, I was convinced only her brain physically survived.
It took me so long to complete the trilogy, more than 100 hours, and I started it on December if I remember correctly. But it has been a great experience,
Did you play the all-ages versions? How are the sequels to Fruit, lots of reviews on Steam mention those version have been severly gutted by removing the ero stuff.