• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it'll also be a mini boxed set with some goodies (both come with this, so there's no version-exclusive item like Steins;Gate Elite or Yuuna had)

81yseTy40TL._SL1500_.jpg

Hoping for Best Buy to put it up, so I don't get a crushed box from Amazon :/

Wonder what else Spike Chunsoft will release until then.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Noisy Pixel did not like Yumeutsutsu Re:Master, only gave it a 4/10

noisypixel.net

Yumeutsutsu Re:Master Review - End My Misery - Noisy Pixel

Noisy Pixel reviews Yumeutsutsu Re:Masters from developer Kogado Studio and publisher Degica, available on Nintendo Switch and PC.

in contrast they liked Yumeutsutsu Re:After better giving it a 6.5/10

noisypixel.net

Yumeutsutsu Re:After Review - Yay For Character Development - Noisy Pixel

Noisy Pixel reviews Yumeutsutsu Re:After from developer Kogado Studio and developer Degica Games, available on Nintendo Switch and PC.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that a physical edition will be available for Europe too. And, if a CE will be announced, I will get it to support the efforts Spike Chunsoft put for Science;Adventure, and with VNs more in general.

I'm pretty sure Numskull Games will continue their relationship with Spike Chunsoft - which basically would mean that there is a physical edition, but you'll have to use a microscope to find it anywhere.

I still don't understand how it's possible that Numskull manages to get their merchandise nonsense well-distributed, but continue to almost completely fail in that regard with the games they publish.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I'm pretty sure Numskull Games will continue their relationship with Spike Chunsoft - which basically would mean that there is a physical edition, but you'll have to use a microscope to find it anywhere.

I still don't understand how it's possible that Numskull manages to get their merchandise nonsense well-distributed, but continue to almost completely fail in that regard with the games they publish.
I know that, unfortunately. I had to get the CE of Steins;Gate Elite from amazon.fr because it wasn't available in Italy (as all NumSkull games aren't). I imagine it will be the same for Robotics;Notes.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I know that, unfortunately. I had to get the CE of Steins;Gate Elite from amazon.fr because it wasn't available in Italy (as all NumSkull games aren't). I imagine it will be the same for Robotics;Notes.

Last time I checked, I have yet to see a Numskull game officially appear on amazon.de unless some marketplace seller put it there. So it would seem pretty lucky you got something off amazon.fr... that said, Steins;Gate Elite was before their publishing deal started (Koch Media did the distribution)

I wouldn't actually mind it all that much if they at least managed to reliably put their stuff on amazon.co.uk and make it available for non-UK buyers, but even that seems to be too much to ask somehow.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
My gf and I have now gotten into the visual novel genre. Namely, we go through a ton of stories on the app Episode for iOS. Namely geared towards females as I noticed, I was actually pulled in.

I would recommend I Married a Millionaire.

Oct 28, 2017

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Their website has a bunch of pre-order links but none of them seem to be live yet, found it on SimplyGames though:

Robotics;Notes Double Pack on Nintendo Switch | SimplyGames

ROBOTICS;NOTES DOUBLE PACK offers two stellar visual novels for the price of one! In ROBOTICS;NOTES ELITE, play as Kaito Yashio, one of the last two members of
For shipping outside of UK, which would be the best website where to pre-order, with the option to cancel the order if I find it on my local Amazon?
I am seeing that ShopTo is cited in the webcited and probably Robotics;Notes will be up there, and they also allow an easy cancellation.
Instead, I won't ever buy from 365games any more because they lost my Ai:Somnium Files copy and I waited a full month to get a refund, waiting for it to come in vain before ordering from another website.

Oct 28, 2017
For shipping outside of UK, which would be the best website where to pre-order, with the option to cancel the order if I find it on my local Amazon?
I am seeing that ShopTo is cited in the webcited and probably Robotics;Notes will be up there, and they also allow an easy cancellation.
Instead, I won't ever buy from 365games any more because they lost my Ai:Somnium Files copy and I waited a full month to get a refund, waiting for it to come in vain before ordering from another website.
I'm actually waiting on the 365games one to go up as they've been pretty good for me since I stopped using Amazon but I can understand not wanting to use them again after that happening.

The only other one I've used is SimplyGames and they don't charge until dispatch.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon UK will likely open op orders onor around release (they did for SuperEpic, at least with the expensive variant), but it really is annoying that this is currently blocked for non-UK customers. Since that's normally not the case on pre-orders for games I'm pretty sure the blame for that can be put on Numskull Games and their amazing inability to offer sensible solutions for the mainland European customer base. You can get their merch and bathub ducks just fine over here in Germany on Amazon, but the games? Noooo....

Curious to not see base.com on the list of shops for some reason... I'll probaby nag local import stores here (who somehow managed to get previous releases in just fine, and much cheaper as well), hope that Amazon.com will allow international orders again by October or grab a copy through eBay eventually.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
In the meantime, it appeared on ShopTo and I pre-ordered it, at 50€ included (tracked) shipping. It can also be easily cancelled. I have noticed, however, that credit card information cannot be changed, I will have to contact the customer service in the future to change it. But at least I have a safe pre-order.

Dunnymeister

Oct 25, 2017
Perth, Australia
I also pre-ordered at ShopTo. I don't like dealing with Spike Chunsoft releases through Numskull as they don't do in-store release in Australia and most of their partnered retailers don't ship here.

I would have pre-ordered at videogamesplus.ca but they don't have a listing up yet surprisingly...

Can't argue with the price though. ~$52AUD delivered ($33USD) when amazon US has it for $59.99USD!

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
The game is out in five months, you guys will have plenty of time to pre-order the game in whichever is your favorite retailer, no need to get ahead and make pre-orders on retailers you don't like, there's absolutely no risk of stock issues with a wide release like this one.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
The game is out in five months, you guys will have plenty of time to pre-order the game in whichever is your favorite retailer, no need to get ahead and make pre-orders on retailers you don't like, there's absolutely no risk of stock issues with a wide release like this one.

With all due respect: I believe you're not located in Europe, right? Then unfortunately you don't know how things work out around here when Numskull Games is involved - even if there's enough stock around, it's usually a hassle to get to it unless you're living in the UK.

Let's take Germany, for example, which I'd consider a rather big market for game sales: So far, they haven't managed to put any of their games on sale with any major retail chain (like GameStop, Media Markt or Saturn, all of which have 100s of shops) and not even on Amazon.de - if we're lucky, some crafty small indie stores manage to get their hands on a few copies.

So calling anything published by Numskull Games a "wide release" sadly couldn't be much farther from reality.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Romance visual novel cloud gaming service OOParts launched in Japan with over 100 titles playable on PC, mobile

Black Inc. has launched OOParts, a new romance visual novel cloud gaming platform in Japan featuring over 100 titles playable on both PC and mobile.
This is a cool idea. The price seems high for what they currently offer, but I'd definitely be interested if they add other genres like mystery and horror. Many VNs have struggled in terms of sales for a while now and a subscription service could be a good solution for older catalog titles.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bah, if only the Vita titles were on sale. Ah well, I'm in no rush since I'm picking up the first game next month.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ya'll for those who have Raging Loop on Steam, can you confirm that there aren't any Steam Achievements? It's weird considering the PS4 version has trophies

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out that cloud service. 1k yen is good price but 3k would be too expensive. It has some titles (eg. Yumeutsutsu Remaster) I want to play as well so maybe I will sub.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to play the Science Fiction VNs? (Steins;Gate etc)

Are they all of Steam? I usually play VNs on Vita, but I've seen listings for "Elite" versions on Steam...do those render the original ones useless?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to play the Science Fiction VNs? (Steins;Gate etc)

Are they all of Steam? I usually play VNs on Vita, but I've seen listings for "Elite" versions on Steam...do those render the original ones useless?

You can get them all on Steam. The only game with an Elite release so far is Steins;Gate. Play the original release, but buy the Elite one for the spinoff that comes bundled with it.

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If only they used a global platform...
They already had a successful Kickstarter, so it's a bit surprising that they are now running a second campaign:
www.kickstarter.com

White Wings: Japanese Animation System Love Visual Novel

Help fund this Japanese animation system visual novel along with professional Japanese voice acting. Get limited and exclusive goods!

At the time, I refrained from backing it due to having serious doubts about the quality of the English translation.

Last edited:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
You can get them all on Steam. The only game with an Elite release so far is Steins;Gate. Play the original release, but buy the Elite one for the spinoff that comes bundled with it.
wait why would I buy both the original release and Elite? Isn't Elite more like the "definitive" version of the original release?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
wait why would I buy both the original release and Elite? Isn't Elite more like the "definitive" version of the original release?

"Elite" in this case is a remake of the first game but with the anime's (personally: much worse looking) visuals slapped over it. There is some content missing - not a ton, but some - and generally speaking you are better off playing the original game. it does, however, come bundled with another game called Linear Bounded Phenogram, which is why people are telling you to potentially buy Elite too even if you shouldn't play it.

(This is in contrast to Robotics;Note Elite that'll be coming out later this year in the R;N double pack - that is just the definitive version of that game and came out years ago as a Vita exclusive; no anime visuals or anything like that are involved. And it'll be the only version of it available in English anyway.)

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so here's the deal with "Elite". (Rant incoming, sorry.)

The first instance of this in Japan was Robotics;Notes Elite, which was a remaster of Robotics;Notes with improved 3D models/animations, slightly improved pacing, as well as adding a few cutscenes from the anime for some of the more action-packed parts. Actually a nice upgrade, all things considered.

At some point the company decided "Elite means anime! Fully animated visual novels are the future!" and made Steins;Gate Elite which replaced all of the graphics with scenes from the anime, and also created some new animation for the branching endings.

A lot of people already didn't like this idea because the original art style was so unique, but the real problem is that they didn't preserve the original novel in its entirety. Entire scenes and half of an entire chapter were cut because they didn't want to bother creating animation for them. Lots and lots of narration was cut (sometimes this is fine because it's just describing what you now see onscreen, but other times it seriously hurts the story and characterization).

The English localization suffers because the updated lines were retranslated by a different team than the original, introducing inconsistencies where the context in the Japanese lines doesn't flow properly from one line to the next, or the same line is repeated twice with a slightly different translation. Many typos were introduced as well, some of which really take you out of the moment.

They didn't make any script updates that would require recording new voice acting, which makes some lines fit oddly and none of the new jokes from the anime (which I found to have more variety than the VN) were included.

They greatly expanded the online message board sections, which on the one hand is nice for more authentic online interactions, but on the other hand really hurts the pacing of the early parts of the story and makes it harder to filter the important information.

The cell phone gameplay mechanic was butchered and minimalized, turning a lot of choices that used to be as simple as "answer your phone or don't" to "did you answer X number of texts from this character before now? cool, you're answering the phone whether you like it or not". You can't look at your text history and receiving attachments with texts was completely removed, even though some texts explicitly refer to included attachments.

The main reason to buy Steins;Gate Elite, as others have said, is for the bundled spin-off game which was otherwise never released in English.

I'm very worried about what they'll do for Steins;Gate 0 Elite, because if they don't change some of their process it's going to end up even worse.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I liked the anime stuff a lot tbh, I just set the thing on auto and it's like binge watching an anime season on steroids

to each their own I guess

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
The cell phone gameplay mechanic was butchered and minimalized, turning a lot of choices that used to be as simple as "answer your phone or don't" to "did you answer X number of texts from this character before now? cool, you're answering the phone whether you like it or not". You can't look at your text history and receiving attachments with texts was completely removed, even though some texts explicitly refer to included attachments.

I felt that change actually had some advantages, as with Elite you at least have a rasonable change to get on the path of the true ending on your own as it's much harder (or even impossible, I'm not entirely sure right now) to unintentionally miss an important flag due to not answering the phone at the right moment. I always thought that in the original game, great as it is, you either needed a walkthrough or a huge amount of luck to achieve the true end.

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
I felt that change actually had some advantages, as with Elite you at least have a rasonable change to get on the path of the true ending on your own as it's much harder (or even impossible, I'm not entirely sure right now) to unintentionally miss an important flag due to not answering the phone at the right moment. I always thought that in the original game, great as it is, you either needed a walkthrough or a huge amount of luck to achieve the true end.
They didn't improve the true ending flags at all, they just made everything else also use a dumb flag system. Phone calls were mainly for optional scenes, so good luck getting the optional scenes in Elite when they don't even explain how the flag systems work.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Raging Loop last night after picking it up on sale a few months ago, mostly positive on it.

I really like mafia games (well I more enjoy watching them than playing them haha) and time loops so I was already into this from the synopsis alone. I think for the most part it's well-paced and captivating to read, though the beginning is a little slow and it takes a little too long to end (I feel like this happens with most VNs I read). I really like the music, the opening especially is a banger, and I would always get so excited for the end of the day to happen because this song always played. Some of the mind games got pretty crazy, especially by the third route (never underestimate Hashimoto)

I didn't care for any of the characters by the end. They weren't bad characters, mind you, but personally I just didn't care at all what for what happened to them. I really disliked Haruaki in particular too, which I think is intentional (or not, since most people seem to like him?), I like having a smart a protagonist but the guy is just grating and arrogant to read and his commentary on the women in particular in the story grossed me out.

Another thing that bothered me in the story was the humor, it was painfully unfunny most of the time. I get why they went for some humor to lighten things up with all the death everywhere but I don't think I laughed a single time (I usually ended up laughing at stuff I don't think the writers intended me to laugh at), mostly I would groan whenever Mocchi would pull something, Rikako would go "woooah" or some kind of misunderstanding would develop, god those scenes took me right out of the story.

I didn't really like the ending, like most people,

just felt like the monster stuff was unnecessary (and I loved how the game tried to rip on it too, like nah, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too, this is dumb), too long (the talk with Kiyo went over my head, not to mention it was too long), and by the end it felt like Haruaki went from smart dude to almost literal wizard with all the stuff he was calling.

I hear the Revelation Mode and the side stories fills in the blanks but honestly after spending 50 hours on this I'm just ready to move on, maybe another time.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't improve the true ending flags at all, they just made everything else also use a dumb flag system. Phone calls were mainly for optional scenes, so good luck getting the optional scenes in Elite when they don't even explain how the flag systems work.

From what I remember, it wasn't explained at all in the original as well AND you could easily skip a flag simply be not pikcung up a call/message until it was too late to do so. That at least wasn't possible in Elite (I think, it has been a while since I played it) which I would consider somewhat of an imporvement - hoch much of one is of course debateable.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
So I took the plunge and can now confirm: The Japanese pyhsical edition of Yumeutsutsu Re:Master Bundle Pack for Switch has English language (text only, of course) included for both Re:Master and Re:After.

So anyone interested in importing doesn't have to wait for the Asia edition next month and can get easily it on Amazon Japan (took just two working days to get from there to Germany - much prefer that to having to order something at Play Asia).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Looks like Rice Digital (now just going by Funstock?) has the book version for both EU/NA up, but is it exclusive there?

funstock.co.uk

Aokana - Four Rhythms Across the Blue | Limited Edition (Nintendo Swit

The Limited Edition version of 'Aokana - Four Rhythms Across the Blue' for Nintendo Switch includes a full colour limited edition artbook!

EDIT: Looks like their Twitter answered this and it should be available in other places (hopefully Best Buy...)

Last edited: