• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I enjoyed S;G elite as it was like binge watching a giant anime so I'm looking forward to that

Oct 25, 2017
Not really too confident that Anonymous;Code will be great considering the other game (Occultic;Nine) in the Science Visual Novel sub-series was really rough. However, it could be an improvement as it has the benefit of not being a weird adaptation of an unfinished light novel, for starters. Here's hoping that when it actually releases, it'll be something worth talking about. I hope its concept is executed correctly, as from its TGS2016 demo it seems like it might end up being something special if it is.

I also have a hard time believing that it will release this year, especially considering the amount of rewrites and delays it has had. The small delay of "before the olympics" to Winter 2020 makes me think that it might actually not be vaporware though.

Last edited:

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I was somehow always missing "Beat Blades Haruka" from my collection so I recently added it.

EPkkaD2WsAIp6B_

Not much else is going on for me regarding ADV.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the switchport for Aokana still in development?
Yes, NekoNyan just did a big announcements
In addition, as promised during the Kickstarter, work is progressing on the Switch port of Aokana, and we expect to be able to talk more about a release timeframe for that soon! We also expect to start translation on Extra1 in the next few months.

Also Senren*Banka is release on Feb 14. Making Lovers translation and editing are done, Hello Lady is getting close to finishing the translation. Some new announcements are: Dracu Riot, Riddle Joker, Kinkoi: Golden Loveriche, IxSHE Tell, Clover Day's. announcement 1 announcement 2

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I can't wait until Spike Chunsoft localize even more visual novels, I love their selection of SC/5pb titles.
I always try to support them buying their physical editions when I can, even limited ones. Without Spike Chunsoft, I doubt we would have ever get the two Robotics;Notes games localized in the West. I still have to get Yu-No too, since I still have two routes of Fruit of Grisaia + the next two games in the trilogy to play (in pause because I am playing TMS#Fe currently), but in the future I will catch up.

ashen

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait until Spike Chunsoft localize even more visual novels, I love their selection of SC/5pb titles.
Interesting article here, including about the already released Steins;Gate follow-ups:

Including this:
Are there any particular series or games you wished you could have helped bring to other regions?

Mike McNamara: I think there is still some massive untapped potential when it comes to making games accessible to a wider audience. If the fans show a huge interest in the Science Adventure series, it will allow us to work on even more sequels, like the Robotics;Notes franchise, which… hopefully will be coming out soon.
Given that Darling's Embrace came out with almost no warning, wonder what the chances are for Robotics;Notes Elite doing the same.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting article here, including about the already released Steins;Gate follow-ups:

Including this:

Given that Darling's Embrace came out with almost no warning, wonder what the chances are for Robotics;Notes Elite doing the same.

Thank you for sharing that interview! I'm not worried about R;N as the game had a previous localization announcement and a physical release incoming, both of which Darling didn't get.

Samurien

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for sharing that interview! I'm not worried about R;N as the game had a previous localization announcement and a physical release incoming, both of which Darling didn't get.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but both R;N elite and dash were both already confirmed for the west by Spike Chunsoft last year.

ashen

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but both R;N elite and dash were both already confirmed for the west by Spike Chunsoft last year.
Yes, what I was meaning was more the chances of it launching suddenly without them prior giving a release date weeks or months in the future, given the answer in the interview, and that Darling was a sudden launch. I suppose that's less likely with there being a physical release here.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Was DaSH also confirmed for 2020 release? I'm quite sure it's only Elite (especially since DaSH has no platforms announced so far).

"Robotics;Notes Elite is coming to North America and Europe in 2020 for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam, publisher Spike Chunsoft announced at Anime Expo 2019. It will feature Japanese voice-overs with English text. The direct sequel Robotics;Notes DaSH will follow later in 2020, but platforms were not confirmed."

Samurien

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, what I was meaning was more the chances of it launching suddenly without them prior giving a release date weeks or months in the future, given the answer in the interview, and that Darling was a sudden launch. I suppose that's less likely with there being a physical release here.
Gotcha, yeah misunderstanding on my part. Thought you meant more, including R;N not the unannounced part. My bad.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Finally! Won't have much of free time this month, but I'm gonna read it and take my time with it

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
"Robotics;Notes Elite is coming to North America and Europe in 2020 for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam, publisher Spike Chunsoft announced at Anime Expo 2019. It will feature Japanese voice-overs with English text. The direct sequel Robotics;Notes DaSH will follow later in 2020, but platforms were not confirmed."

Not saying Gematsu is wrong but it's the only place that lists DaSH as a 2020 release. We'll see, I guess.

In other news, still no release date for Totono.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Played The House in Fata Morgana last year, didn't come away a huge fan sadly, though I thought it had quite a few redeeming features (character art, tone, soundtrack, sheer ambition - thanks again OniBaka for the giveaway). I was still intrigued enough to grab A Requiem for Innocence recently.

I think it's a substantial improvement, certainly stronger than any single one of the stories in the original, and possibly more impactful just as a package. I think the lack of convolution and shorter length helped it, though I might feel differently if I thought the convolutions of the first game were better. I thought it fleshed out its characters more successfully as well, certainly the main character at least. I was surprised by how well done Jacopo's fall was, sticking with his perspective through it really helped make it more believable. Even knowing what was coming I found myself hoping things would work out somehow, and there's no clear moment of no return until it's already too late. Even the way his former friends react to him is pretty believable. Really should've given Gratien a guard/police leadership position, dummy! Could've had a sideplot about how power and ambition can corrupt even strong friendships that way too.

The moment when he evolves/reverts to his sprite from the original game is really great, it's like "oh yeah, it's this guy. Wait, it's been him all along. Oh shit." His advisor is a good mechanism for maintaining the ambiguity of his transition, and is a neat, very ambiguous character himself.

I had heard before playing that there's a particular character that everybody hates and... yeah, I see why.

Ceren does serve a function as the glue that keeps the main cast together for the first half of the story, she appears to be the manifestation of their collective innocence, albeit pretty much as a stock anime stereotype, but the revelation of her true nature brings everything temporarily to a screeching halt so it can be explained and exposited and then explained again, and it's just such a bizarre thing to begin with. Her interaction with Barnier is actually kind of interesting and gives him some actual character as well, but saying "actually she was completely crazy the entire time" smashes her character development and feels really exploitative. It feels like the starting point for her character was "let's put in this obnoxious stereotype so we can pull the rug out from under it in the most megatragic way possible." And then she's gone and never matters again.

Just to be clear, individuals with lower empathy exist, and it's not completely implausible that there might be people in real life that are similar to how Ceren is portrayed. I think this idea is misused here unfortunately.

One major element that this prequel didn't really improve was Jacopo and Morgana's "romance." Morgana's character development is still beyond glacial, she still feels too close to a stock "tsundere" without the "dere." She's not as obnoxious as that other character, but she's almost as flat, and that's a problem. And looming over the whole thing is the age difference. At one point I think Maria describes Jacopo's relationship with her as like a sibling one, and he agrees, so... why can't we stick with that? Morgana never returns his romantic feelings in any substantial way, and that final vision of what she said/might've said that one time just felt dissonant.

Still, like I said, I liked it better on the whole. The Assento Dele sidestory pretty much packed most of Michel's character development into a much smaller space, which was cool. Tighter story economy is a good thing. The soundtrack isn't nearly as large or as eclectic, but the new piano tracks are really well composed. I'm glad Novectacle got to make this prequel and that it's stronger in substantial ways, and I hope they really nail it in the future like I think they have the potential to.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
oh wow JAST released venus blood frontier on Steam and it's among the global top sellers

5ByNuSS.png

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
oh wow JAST released venus blood frontier on Steam and it's among the global top sellers

5ByNuSS.png
Oh nice I should check if I received my steam key then.

Already did two run of the game ( backed the physical tier ), fun gameplay I really liked it. Hopefully iy has enough success to make them translate more games in the future, I more than ready to back their kickstarter again.

And who knows, maybe Eushully sill learn from it and give us translated version of their games too... One can dream.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice I should check if I received my steam key then.

Already did two run of the game ( backed the physical tier ), fun gameplay I really liked it. Hopefully iy has enough success to make them translate more games in the future, I more than ready to back their kickstarter again.

And who knows, maybe Eushully sill learn from it and give us translated version of their games too... One can dream.

How is the actual game? Backed the physical game and it's still sealed. Had a peek at the artbook and I was like "uhhh those mosiacs aren't leaving much for imagination...." Even though I know that the game is supposed to be all-ages, the Steam greenlight and hentai artbook, make me thinking otherwise....

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
How is the actual game? Backed the physical game and it's still sealed. Had a peek at the artbook and I was like "uhhh those mosiacs aren't leaving much for imagination...." Even though I know that the game is supposed to be all-ages, the Steam greenlight and hentai artbook, make me thinking otherwise....
To be honest I didn't spend much time in the all age version of the game, but from what I saw ( and just checked again in the extra scene menu by alternating between all age an 18+ ) the all age version isn't censored with mosiacs, they use different CG.

imho gameplay is fun even if there isn't huge strategy to the battle themselves, but ( at least at higher difficulty ) you will have to think about your units, their additional skills you get them when you hire them, their synergy...

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Very. 4/5 of it is a visual novel and the remaining 1/5 is action sequence, and the latter is mediocre at best.

Kind of comparable to Utawarerumono, except maybe with a few more tactical fights. I LOVED So Long, My Love, and look forward to this. Oh, and Sega can remake/remaster/whatever all the precious SW games anytime now >_>

JosephL64

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm a bit mixed on the new one, like it's fine, but I expected more?

Combat felt pretty easy to mash through, and they really overuse the main theme to a ridiculous degree.

If you're a fan of the series it'd probably still be worth picking up though.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I just finished 428: Shibuya Scramble's normal ending. I was ready to call that ending lame when I got to the credits, but apparently there is a true ending and a million short scenarios I have to unlock now, thank god.

Overall, it was a great visual novel; very memorable characters, good setting, loved the live action gimmick, and it manages to keep you invested from beginning to end. My two major complaints were: the whole decision system, which can get just as dumb as the majority of the ones in the genre PLUS you have to constantly switch between characters killing of momentum really bad imo and the fact the novel got super serious at the end, like waaaay too serious, they upped the stakes to the highest possible degree, when the ones established at the start of each character's story were so much better, it was way too cheesy.

I would complain about the weird ending and how my favourite story (Minorikawa's) was tied really badly with the main plot at the end, but I assume this could change after I read through all the extra material. Can't wait to read through the true ending tonight!

EDIT: And finished. I am extremely conflicted, I have no idea what to think about it. I was not expecting it to end like THAT...

8/10

Last edited:

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
I'm slowly replaying Mask of Deception and once again I am reminded of how much I loved MoD/MoT