• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
Hey there, first post here. Found some pretty interesting VNs browsing this thread, so thanks guys.

And I really enjoyed your writeup on Fata Morgana, Arcus

It is pretty ingenious how the game
reflects Michel's (and by extension the reader/player's) increasing agency in the story throught its interface.

1)All the character sprites in the first three doors were facing each other, as if we were watching a stage play, subtly creating a sense of detachment.

2)From Door 4 onwards, every sprite now faces the screen. We're no longer mere spectators of a story, but confronting our own past. (Also notice how the game starts glitching out once "Giselle's" portrait came up in Door4 from Michel's POV)

3)The exception being Door 6 and 7, which are the dark, repressed memories of Giselle and Michel that they were trying to distance themselves from; the portraits in Door 7 are straight-up black and white.

4)In the final chapter, the VN employs a JRPG-like textbox+portrait combo at the bottom of the screen since, as you said, Michel (along with the reader) is now a "player" in the story. All characters from the first three doors now have new sprites facing the player.

And I don't think it's a coincidence that the choices/dialogue options in this VN are backloaded in the second half, particularly in the final chapter.

This wouldn't have worked this well in any other medium. The punchline on the store page "you could bear them cause they weren't your tragedies" wasn't just for show.

Edit: added a few points I missed

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
b6733576-e542-4406-8ojr7h.jpeg

It plays nice on my tablet, I guess I'm playing it.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
The House in Fata Morgana

Reactions - Spoilers below

OK, I was expecting a Grand Finale with that last door, but I didn't even think for one second that that chapter was so meaty. And to make all of these characters so relatable. Even the ones I initially couldn't stand, or even outright despised. Damn. Nellie went from unsufferable to oddly adorable, and Mell, well...

Little Mell, I have to say, it is nice to see you save the day in the cellar. A far cry from your usual self. Perfectly timed.

On a side note: Pauline is Flonne's reincarnation (Disgaea). There, I said it.

Now... "The Lord" though... Wow. I don't know how they are going to humanize him. Mell was misguided, selfish and a coward, The Swordsman is a sociopath (and well aware of that; he is many things, but he is no hypocrite), but him... The snippets we get from The Swordsman don't paint him in a very favorable light... But, well, it is a tale of tragedies, showcasing the worst in each humans - and, surprisingly, also the best. Wait and see.

EDIT: Finished The House of Fata Morgana just 30 minutes ago.

In page 7 of this thread, Funyarinpa mentioned that Fata Morgana is "the closest VN to perfection".

That was no hyperbole.

I strongly suggest that everyone who didn't play that VN yet do so.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
A few days into the looking glass insects chapter of Subahibi and they're strongly telegraphing a twist that I have no idea how is gonna work. Like part of it was obvious at the end of the previous chapter, but this changes everything if I'm right.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I really wish I discovered that work sooner. Although, it is because I played other VNs before it that I was able to enjoy this one so thoroughly.

It was a real surprise to see how much work went behind the writing. The game masterfully played with my expectations.

And one can not talk about Fata Morgana without mentioning the music.

God, the music. The OST does a magistral job, making a lot of scenes exceptionally powerful. This work wouldn't be the same without the astonishing OST.

Most of all, when I play this kind of game, I'm looking for emotions. Suffice to say, I got what I was looking for, and then some.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Remember to check
the extra section, it has a backstage with the characters discussing the plot and stuff. There is also an hidden prologue in the endings section (If you got all endings).

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The KickStarter for Newton and the Apple Tree (VNDB) is currently in its last 38 hours, having met its funding goal and a couple of strech-goals:

"'Newton' was actually the pen name of a brilliant-minded girl!?"

Protagonist Syuji Asanaga and his childhood friend Yotsuko Utakane, while tracking down Syuji's missing grandfather, unexpectedly ended up traveling through time.

What they witnessed upon their arrival was the presence of a single girl right in front of them.

This particular girl would go on to be dubbed as the father of modern-day science, Sir Isaac Newton!

That's correct, Newton turned out to be a small, flat-chested girl!

Unaware of this, Syuji loudly crashed into the apple tree right in front of the girl.

"You do realize that I was just on the verge of making the most groundbreaking discovery, don't you!?"

It was at the moment our main couple traveled through time, right then and there, that Newton discovered universal gravitation!

And just like that, through Syuji's witless conduct, the great scientific discoveries of that century had all crumbled to ashes. What's more, like the domino effect, this would gradually end up altering key points in history.

It is now sometime during the 17th century! The story is set at a prestigious English university called "Tenbridge University," named for the fact that it spans a total of ten bridges! Will Syuji ever be able to rectify history and return to the present!?

Written by Laplacian as "an extremely funny, but also slightly touching" time travel adventure!

There is a demo available, if anyone is curious.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember some memes when that Newton game came out but I know nothing about its quality.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I finished the fifth volume of Higurashi and got back to Subahibi. Currently in the third chapter/portion. I think this is going to be something I read in short sessions overtime versus long weekend sessions.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Man, there is some utterly broken french in Root Double. I don't know if the dev team of the translators are responsible for that, but man, it's sooooooooooo bad at times.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I am flabbergasted that The House of Fata Morgana seems to be a niche amongst a niche genre... I mean, this was something else. Not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of story-telling and music... Damn. It is, without a question, one of the best VNs I played.

I don't know if I will have the time to play Ever17 or Umi-something (I need to find the name, but it seems to be highly regarded), but I have a genuine fear that I won't appreciate these works as much after Fata Morgana.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I am flabbergasted that The House of Fata Morgana seems to be a niche amongst a niche genre... I mean, this was something else. Not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of story-telling and music... Damn. It is, without a question, one of the best VNs I played.

I don't know if I will have the time to play Ever17 or Umi-something (I need to find the name, but it seems to be highly regarded), but I have a genuine fear that I won't appreciate these works as much after Fata Morgana.

The House in Fata Morgana was my GOTY 2016 and it'll be my GOTY 2018 all over again.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If House in Fata Morgana were released in 2017 it would have made its way straight into my Top 5 GOTY. Like I said in the VN recommendation thread, game had me so mesmerized I blasted through it in a single session. What a truly magical game *-*

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

E17 is a different sort of VN altogether, it's more renowned for the mystery. I really like it, especially because of the ending and one particular character (Sora and her route, namely), but it isn't really going for the same thing as The House In Fata Morgana.

As for Umineko, I'd recommend you give The House In Fata Morgana some rest before tackling it. That's because Umineko is curiously similar to Fata in many areas (mansion setting, emotional, wonderful soundtrack, etc) but it's also really its own thing, and deserves to be read with an eye that isn't inadvertently comparing everything to Fata Morgana. Umineko is really unique, does things not really comparable to anything Fata attempts, and in my eyes, conveys its message with a poignance that few, if any, VNs have accomplished. It's also insanely long, like 120+ hours long.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love Fata Morgana (and it was my GOTY 2016), Umineko is better.
Has worse pacing, true, but the whole package (provided you apply the fanpatch bringing over the PS3 voice acting) is amazing. Especially if you have any fondness for mystery genre (Agatha Christie, etc).
<-- I am kind of biased though. :)

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Collar x Malice is currently on Sale for the Vita. Is it any good?
How hard is it into the Otome stuff?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love Fata Morgana (and it was my GOTY 2016), Umineko is better.
Has worse pacing, true, but the whole package (provided you apply the fanpatch bringing over the PS3 voice acting) is amazing. Especially if you have any fondness for mystery genre (Agatha Christie, etc).
<-- I am kind of biased though. :)
Wow. That's a bold claim. I'm genuinely curious now - sadly, I also know that I won't be able to experience this game for a while, as I won't be able to use my computer for quite a few months. So I can't begin this game now, especially if it is 120 hours long like Funyarinpa claimed.
The only thing I know about Umineko is... well (spoilers):
Your avatar is, I think, the witch from that game... And she is kind of the mastermind, and a sadist... I think? Only saw snippets of informations a loooooooooooooong time ago.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll third the high praise for Umineko, though with the caveat that I have only read the first half at this point.

[Umineko is] also insanely long, like 120+ hours long.
That seems like a rather high estimate. Did you let every bit of voiced dialogue play out? I ask because it took me 42 hours to read parts 1-4, and parts 5-8 should take around 38 hours with the same reading speed. But I also don't wait for voiced dialogue to play out, since I don't understand Japanese.

Though that's not to say that 80 hours doesn't make for an absolutely massive VN.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking to buy a new VN on Steam

Looking at Grisaia. I guess Fruit of Grisaia is the first one? What's the actual order?
  • The Fruit of Grisaia
  • The Labyrinth of Grisaia
  • The Eden of Grisaia
??

If that's correct the first one is expensive than the second...weird. Just want to buy the first one.

There seem to be a lot of games (spin off I guess, is confusing)

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I was looking to buy a new VN on Steam

Looking at Grisaia. I guess Fruit of Grisaia is the first one? What's the actual order?
  • The Fruit of Grisaia
  • The Labyrinth of Grisaia
  • The Eden of Grisaia
??

If that's correct the first one is expensive than the second...weird. Just want to buy the first one.

There seem to be a lot of games (spin off I guess, is confusing)
Read it in the order you listed

Oct 25, 2017
I like Fata Morgana a lot (don't love it) but I fucking HATED Umineko. Think I made a big post about it on the old site.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. That's a bold claim. I'm genuinely curious now - sadly, I also know that I won't be able to experience this game for a while, as I won't be able to use my computer for quite a few months. So I can't begin this game now, especially if it is 120 hours long like Funyarinpa claimed.
The only thing I know about Umineko is... well (spoilers):
Your avatar is, I think, the witch from that game... And she is kind of the mastermind, and a sadist... I think? Only saw snippets of informations a loooooooooooooong time ago.

To say anything concrete about Beatrice would be spoiling the game. She's all you describe and none of that at the same time.
The game's very meta. Some people like it, some don't.

That seems like a rather high estimate. Did you let every bit of voiced dialogue play out? I ask because it took me 42 hours to read parts 1-4, and parts 5-8 should take around 38 hours with the same reading speed. But I also don't wait for voiced dialogue to play out, since I don't understand Japanese.
eIKVQJE.png

That's with the voice acting, so 134 hours for all 8 episodes.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

Umineko is interesting, but really messy and sorta all over the place (And the last episode is just plain bad until R07 fixed the story in the manga). It also one of those "You had to be there" things and you basically need to read it two times to actually fully appreciate the story.

Ever17 was groundbreaking , it may bore you to death for 3/4, but it's one of those "fundamental" VNs that inspired a lot of works.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Collar x Malice is currently on Sale for the Vita. Is it any good?
How hard is it into the Otome stuff?
One of the best otoge in English in my opinion. Not sure what you mean exactly in your second question but the main plot of the game is not the romance. Instead the focus is on stopping X-Day.
aksysgames.com/cxm/x-day/

Oct 25, 2017
Now Subahibi is starting to remind me of Umineko, but without being weighed down by inane bullshit, or at least a lot less of it.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko is interesting, but really messy and sorta all over the place (And the last episode is just plain bad until R07 fixed the story in the manga). It also one of those "You had to be there" things and you basically need to read it two times to actually fully appreciate the story.

Ever17 was groundbreaking , it may bore you to death for 3/4, but it's one of those "fundamental" VNs that inspired a lot of works.

So... Basically, Umineko is Homestuck?
(If you are looking for me, I'm far, far, far awaaaaaay).

EDIT: The House of Fata Morgana, Backstage:

Well, excuse moi for being french, Jacopo! You little $%µ&!

That being said, the Beaujolais nouveau is piss.

Oh. They announced A Requiem for Innocence for 2016.

Well, we all know it is not ready yet. Still, the localization team can take all the time in the world they need: their work on the main game was astonishing.
Latest status update: 100% translated, 58% edited.

And, also, that remix of Giselle which I discovered by hazard.

Last edited:

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
Yo Chaos;Child is legitimately fucked up. Like, more fucked up than Steins;Gate and Chaos;head combined.

Yes, but it's really good. Only found it okay after the forced standard ending, but the character endings are great so far! Now I hope the true ending will be as good.
It took some time to get used to that loser protagonist, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it's really good. Only found it okay after the forced standard ending, but the character endings are great so far! Now I hope the true ending will be as good.
It took some time to get used to that loser protagonist, though.

Did you play Chaos;head? Because Takuru is A LOT more likable than Takumi. The guy's awkward, but he has some semblance of a normal nerdy social life and more apparent levels of compassion for other people. He's sort of a tsundere whereas Takumi is a straight up otaku misanthrope.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody can be as bad as Takumi. Okabe was breath of fresh air after him, which meant S;G's slow start didn't bother me at all. I'm really curious to dig into C;C myself but that still probably won't be till next month, I think?

As for the Umineko talk- I played it before voice patches were a thing, but I'd agree with 10-20 hours per episode? So 80-100 total seems realistic to me. It's a work that's incredibly important to me, but I played it so long ago now. If you have the time, I'd recommend it, but I agree that you might want to distance yourself from Fata Morgana first. Maybe this is just my own projection, but to me Fata really felt like something made by people who were inspired by Umineko. Which isn't to say that it in any way copies it, or that they're that similar overall.

...also, I'm going to continue to recommend The Letter while you can still get it for around $13. I've been satisfied with it at $20 so that's a great deal.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Hoshizora No Memoria's localization is so poor that Sekai Project had to issue a public apologyfor it. Though with their long history of poor standards for their releases and the fact that they released it on the very same day as Leyline which is another disaster, it's hard to believe much will change.

Oct 27, 2017
Symphonic Rain
Well, I was going to complain about the walking nothing of a protagonist, how little passion the written narrative actually seems to have for music considering the entire story is about it (in contrast to the tragically short but beautiful OST and vocal songs by the late Ritsuko Okazaki), and the fact that the work spends so much time meandering through rote practice sessions and boring conversations about pointless pleasantries while taking every opportunity to avoid actually writing in detail about all of the potentially evocative stuff that it's happy to fade to black for.

Then, well.
My god that was beautifully toxic. Like, holy crap, what a goddamned mess. True love is someone willing to completely ruin a guy's relationship with his best friend, out every single nasty thought she's ever had about anything and put the worst elements of her cunning nature on display, and generally just make a mess of the entire vicinity all because it's become abundantly clear that emotional pain fuels his music and he's too happy on the eve of a major performance.

Normally that would've been bad timing to explain that you were actually kind of a massive, unflinching, sardonic, fatalistic, manipulative bitch and not at all ashamed of it (You go, girl!) but you could watch the gears turning in her head as she realized that it was the perfect tool in her toolbox for giving the moron the angst he needed to actually able to play his damn magic instrument properly again.

It was a bold play. Glad it worked out for them. Their little toxic relationship is adorable and I wish them the best in their shared, twisted mutual use of one another. The tarnished silver wings metaphor was a bit on the nose, but I'll take it.
I'm not joking, either. I wish there was more of that in the medium. That probably says something about me, but I'll wear it like a badge of honor.
Looks like that blue bar under the text box is directly tied to both the severity of the rain and Chris's mental state. Damn thing filled up FAST when everything went to hell. Interested to see where it's going with that.
I'm probably not going to be compelled by any desire to voraciously read everything else by the author at this rate, given the general quality of the pacing and moment to moment writing, but it's not like we're likely to get Exile Election any time soon anyway.

Last edited:

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Hoshizora No Memoria's localization is so poor that Sekai Project had to issue a public apologyfor it. Though with their long history of poor standards for their releases and the fact that they released it on the very same day as Leyline which is another disaster, it's hard to believe much will change.

There's a thread over on /r/visualnovels and the members there don't seem particularly happy about it... Really seems like the VN needed more time in the oven though - it doesn't work with the Steam overlay for example, and as of right now they're saying to use an unofficial guide that they can't support because the guide needs you to change your locale.

What happened with Leyline?

Oct 25, 2017
Subahibi is legitimately upsetting. Like, I'm actually angry right now, moreso than I was earlier in the story when something similar happened. Pretty much the most disturbing
rape
scene in any VN that I've played. Everything from the atmosphere to the soundtrack was nailed down perfectly and that made it so much worse. The shittiest thing about all this is the
out of order storytelling, so the catharsis has already happened. I need that shit now!

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
"I'll have you know you're using the wrong definition of 'loser'. On the contrary, I almost never lose things. I keep all of my information neatly indexed in my brain in decreasing order of relevance. And furthermore,

Did you play Chaos;head? Because Takuru is A LOT more likable than Takumi. The guy's awkward, but he has some semblance of a normal nerdy social life and more apparent levels of compassion for other people. He's sort of a tsundere whereas Takumi is a straight up otaku misanthrope.

I haven't played C;H as prefer to play VNs on a handheld and I think there was no translation available. Also the artstyle doesn't look as good.

Only disliked Takuru in the beginning chapters when the dissonance between his thoughts and how he talked (or rather stuttered) to other people was especially big. How he could think so lowly of most people around him yet couldn't even stand up to them in a normal conversation really got on my nerves. He gets way better in the end to the point where I do like him.

It's probably the game where I changed my thoughts of a character between beginning and end the most.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played C;H as prefer to play VNs on a handheld and I think there was no translation available. Also the artstyle doesn't look as good.

Only disliked Takuru in the beginning chapters when the dissonance between his thoughts and how he talked (or rather stuttered) to other people was especially big. How he could think so lowly of most people around him yet couldn't even stand up to them in a normal conversation really got on my nerves. He gets way better in the end to the point where I do like him.

It's probably the game where I changed my thoughts of a character between beginning and end the most.

I kind of just interpreted that as general bitterness mixed with insecurity and feigned internal superiority. I've been there before, so I didn't want to judge him too harshly. It's pretty much the same concept as Watamote.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS3 mod for Umineko Chiru has been released:
Hello @everyone, we are proud to announce the Umineko Answer Arc PS3 Patch, this should include all the graphics and voices from the PS3 game. We are releasing the patch early here to catch any bugs that we missed, so don't forget to notify us if you find anything odd.

Download Link: https://github.com/07th-mod/resources/releases/tag/Bern
There is no automatic installation so here is the guide to install the patch:
1- Download the 3 parts of UminekoChiru-Graphics.7z, Umineko5to8.exe (or Umineko5to8_for_MacOSX.zip for Mac users) and UminekoChiru-Voices . Ignore all other files.
2- Extract inside the game directory
3- Overwrite any files if asked
4- Download the latest 0.utf, just right click in download and Save link as... (https://github.com/07th-mod/umineko-answer/blob/master/0.utf)
5- Rename your current 0.utf to 0_old.utf and drag in the 0.utf you just downloaded inside the game folder
6- Start the game with Umineko5to8.exe
7- Done!

That is pretty much it, don't forget to report any bugs in Umineko #support . Thank you.

From the 07th-mod discord server.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017

Sekai incompetence strikes again, that company needs new management as the current ones are clearly not up to the job.

I bought the first volume of Grisaia Phantom Trigger in the Steam sale, I was curious and it was finally at a reasonable price. Unfortunately it is a short and mediocre VN, the characters are OK but a pale shadow of those in the original Grisaia. Bah.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Started Fata Morgana, played for about 1 hour.

The "technical" stuff seems really... bad.
While it shows to play with headphones, the sound doesnt feel like its made for that? In other modern VNs, even Indie VNs, you have sound-effects, background sounds that sound natural. In Fata Morgana it seems its just songs on repeat. It doesnt feel like its "surround" sound at all. Also no VAs.
The game runs in 4:3, which looks kinda bad stretched.

If you are used to other modern VNs, it feels a bit outdated tbh.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, finally got all the ending in Root Double. It's not without flaws but I really enjoyed this experience. I have some gripes with it though.

First, the pacing is glacial at times. I don't mind it when VN are slow, so it wasn't too bad overall for me, but some part of route B and C were painful. There is a lot of repetition as well, which gets quite annoying after a while.
Second, the choice system is downright terrible. It's a good idea in theory since it's quite flexible (you imput trust values for specific characters when the game prompts you to do so) but it relies way too much on context, and it's often unclear just what the values you imput mean. It makes getting a specific ending, or unlocking certain scenes, a slog if you don't use a guide.

However, the story is really good imo. It delivers a lot of twists but they are all foreshadowed and explained. None of it feels like it comes out of nowhere, it all makes sense in the end. The game does a really good job on leaving a ton of subtle hints that let your imagination run wild but that will still make sense when everything is explained hours later.
so yeah, heavily recommended but use a guide if you don't want to spend hours fumbling in the dark to get good ending.