• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
I was extremely disappointed in it, especially as I was really into the idea of the characters-as-actors and using a real world location gimmicks. It's one of the few games I try to warn people away from playing when it comes up.

It's not even "problematic" or gross or anything outright terrible. It's just so aggressively bland and boring with a jerk protagonist; the mystery is essentially nothing and it's badly told. The alternate endings don't even help explain the story and also aren't even very good by themselves, yet some have some that would have made the actual true ending more interesting, which is even more disappointing because they're not canon. It just eats time.

yeah I still have my copy, so I think I'm just going to end up selling it. I haven't played the Kara no Shoujo series since it seems like an interesting murder mystery thats right up my alley. I have to finish VA-11 and Utawarerumono first tho.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
i just want Ley Line

e1ca2025876a43894f6d153933cf26aa8abe9a1a_hq.jpg

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Grisaia no Kajitsu - it has a very good character cast and great comedy. The drama is mostly pretty nice as well. Unfortunately it's way too long for its own good and the lack of real ending doesn't help it.. Overall it's still a a very good VN.

SubaHibi - I really liked the narrative structure and the story. There are some problems with the structure though such as it's easy to predict some stuff that are going to happen since you see the same events again and again from a different perspective. some stuff were rather easy to piece together. Also can't say I'm a fan of existentialism.

euphoria - well, I can definitely say it was above my expectations in terms of story. It's nothing amazing or special but it's actually not bad and good enough to make you want to know what happens.
On the bad side, one important twist came out of nowhere and that's not a good thing imo.

Doki Doki Literature Club - it's definitely unique and has a pretty cool 4th wall breaking, but unfortunately it doesn't help the fact the the game itself is boring overall.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Finally sat and played Doki Doki Literature Club!
It was really creative and enjoyable. Nothing wildly mindblowing but definitely worth checking out.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Finished Utawarerumono Mask of truth last week, while not as good as Mask of Deception it was still a very enjoyable experience.

I really recommend these games if you are into visual novels, also has a fantastic soundtrack and Japanese voice acting.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first chapter of Chaos;Child. Spooky.

But man, this is going to be a long one, isn't it? How long does it take to REALLY pick up? Because I never really felt like Chaos;head got there, or at least it didn't STAY there.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Oh god, that hollow ataraxia scene with Sakura's DEATH NOTE was amazing.
(I wish everything about this game was on that level)

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
On one hand, I'm cross with MangaGamer for not releasing Higurashi chapters sooner.
On the other...
Umineko: Owners: 6,042 - 11,768
Umineko Chiru: Owners: 291 - 2,597
Higurashi Ch5: Owners: 4,841 - 10,081
But, looking at other MangaGamer title stats, they don't actually sell worse than most of their other products... So I really don't understand what's the hold-up here... :\

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Finally sat and played Doki Doki Literature Club!
It was really creative and enjoyable. Nothing wildly mindblowing but definitely worth checking out.

Yeah, I really liked what it did but I think it took too long to get to the hook (even though it had some really tense foreshadowing at times) and didn't go far enough. Imo, there should have been more
loops than the few it did. The pace of the escalations was not as good as it could have been. But of course, I really liked what it did. Anything that evokes the meta elements of something like Undertale is fine by me.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Utawarerumono Mask of truth last week, while not as good as Mask of Deception it was still a very enjoyable experience.

I really recommend these games if you are into visual novels, also has a fantastic soundtrack and Japanese voice acting.
Eh, I just finished it as well but I liked it more than Mask of Deception. Both are great anyway, I really hope the remake of the first game is going to be localized eventually.

Unknown Duck

Oct 30, 2017
I'm new to this whole scene. I've got a pc with steam, any recommendation on which VN should be my first?

I would say any of these are good:

Longer ones (>10 hrs): Umineko question arcs, Root Double, Fata Morgana, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Shorter ones (<10 hrs): Narcissu 1st and 2nd, eden*, Planetarian

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, the visual novels I enjoyed the most are not Japanese. Christine Love's stuff, VA-11 Hall-A, Katawa Shoujo, Doki Doki. Kinda weird now that I think about it.

Hopefully that'll change with Fata Morgana. I played a bit of the demo today, seems pretty good so far.

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't find a definitive answer so i'll ask here.

what princess evangile w happiness is to princess evangile? i read it's a fan disc but it contains the common route of the original but it's like a summary and it sounds confusing. Should i just buy the original and not be confused?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
i didn't find a definitive answer so i'll ask here.

what princess evangile w happiness is to princess evangile? i read it's a fan disc but it contains the common route of the original but it's like a summary and it sounds confusing. Should i just buy the original and not be confused?
It's a fandisc. It has some after stories for the original routes in the first game and several new ones. You need to read the original VN first. If you like that get W Happiness for more.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'll ask is grisaia phantom trigger good? I really liked the first three but dunno about the ones for this sub series.

Oct 25, 2017
Just reached chapter 6 in Chaos;child. I'm enjoying it. Certainly not Steins;Gate good just yet, but good nonetheless.

OP
OP
Vylash

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
been super lazy with my reading lately, gonna try to get further into eden of grisaia soon, the awful yumiko route took so much out of me again

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mangagamer, you can check the listing if you click the image.

Wait, is the artbook translated? Oh dear. Oh. Dear.

been super lazy with my reading lately, gonna try to get further into eden of grisaia soon, the awful yumiko route took so much out of me again

I still need to play Grisaia. It's in my 'to be played' queue.

you two made me do a double take lol

--

I'm really salty about Higurashi. Where the hell is Tsumihoroboshi, it (with the other two arcs) has been in testing for what, 4 months now? T_________T

Buzzi

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how long Ever17 and Remember11 are?

I remember E17 taking me about 30 hours for all routes.
R11 instead took me about 20 hours (main endings and some "necessary" but presented as optional content), but it has a much more involved structure and seeing everything could take forever with that system, if at all possible without a guide.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'm new to this thread (and to VNs in general), and I have a question, if you can help me. Are there good VNs available for android? It's a kind of game I would like to play in a portable manner, but I only have my phone and I don't know which options I have in it. I know the Ace Attorney games are there, but I've played them already.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Doki Doki Literature Club the most popular visual novel in 2017?
It is certainly the most popular VN released on Steam in 2017, in terms of people who've tried it (not necessarily finished it).
Looking at the SteamSpy list of games tagged as 'Visual Novel', it is 4th behind The Walking Dead (2012), Emily is Away (2015; free), and Everlasting Summer (2014; free). An estimated 750k accounts have tried Doki Doki, and that does not even account for the various streamers who have shown the games to literally millions of people.

I would honestly be surprised if Umineko Chiru has had that kind of reach, despite it being a much older and celebrated VN, on account of the fact that Doki Doki reached far, far outside of the usual VN demographic.