• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Ok, I need help will something.

There is a VN I was playing and at some point it showed me an error "009.txt line error: 876".
I searched and it is because it is a program with the name Ncscript which translate the game I am playing.
Any way to fix this problem?

Thank you.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I need help will something.

There is a VN I was playing and at some point it showed me an error "009.txt line error: 876".
I searched and it is because it is a program with the name Ncscript which translate the game I am playing.
Any way to fix this problem?

Thank you.

It'd help if you said which VN you were playing.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Started reading Umineko, going into it pretty much blind (I've read Higurashi before so that does give me some expectations).

So Kinzo just announced the beginning of the ceremony and said Beatrice can now take anyone from the mansion for the 11 sacrifices from the riddle. For whoever didn't read it recently, so far there's been introductions and backgrounds for (I think) everyone in the mansion, the cousins discussing the riddle on the beach, and the siblings fighting for the inheritance after lunch and stalemating.

I'm thinking maybe "the two" from the riddle are Shannon and Kanon? The setting so far is really interesting. So far feels like a set up for a classic isolated mansion murder case where people are picked off slowly with some gold search riddle solving involved, where every single character is hinted as the murderer, but the thing that stood out to me was the marked rose disappearing (kind of because the story tried to muffle the signal by bringing up the uu-uu problem and making the reader focus on how Maria's left alone in danger on Kinzo's crazy murder ceremony.

Also Steam gave me something (I guess steam has items now) with an icon that shows Maria with a psycho face, dunno what to do with that

I'm not really going to try to piece it myself for the answers because of my spectacular failure trying with Higurashi but I will make mental notes for memory's sake, no teasing pls.

So far I've been reminded how much I like 07th Expansion's atmospheric style and the music is really really good

edit: ok. hahaha. this is great

Last edited:

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
No clue what I just read. The episode itself was fairly straightforward (considering Beatrice's sprite is everywhere on the internet and even on the Steam page's background) but the little epilogue that scrolled afterwards threw me into a loop. And STILL no hard admission of supernatural elements after all of that, everything could still be explained with trickery, but dunno. Did Maria send the story out in a bottle asking for someone to uncover the truth because Battler ruined it in the end? Very confused. I'm thinking if Higurashi was any hint, that Kinzo's gamble might have to do with the fact that there's more episodes after this story ended.

It's pretty suspicious how the story glossed over the fact that Rudolf predicted his murder and time frame right after the family dinner. It's also suspicious how, when the 8 were hiding in Kinzo's study and Beatrice used the letter to drive some of them out of the room, Battler pointed out there's no motive for one of the people in the room to incriminate themselves, but there was a really easy and obvious motive (the culprit wanted to be driven out himself along with people they could kill outside the room).

Anyway Battler bonking Maria over and over when she went psycho was incredible, hahaha. I also loved Maria's voice acting when imitating Beatrice reading the letter. Can't say the rest of the characters are that interesting so far.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Hi folks :)

So for about 5 years I've got a copy of Virtue's Last Reward downloaded on my 3DS, waiting to be played. I actually started to play a little bit of it, before I realised it was the second game of a series, of which the first game never showed up in Europe. So I've been waiting for a re-release of it on 3DS, which obviously never happened. But since it has been re-released as part of the "Nonary Games" on PC, PS4 and Vita, I'm wondering now, which version you would recommend to a newcomer. Many fans seem to agree, that the new QoL features, the voice acting and upgraded graphics are a big plus, but still recommend playing the DS game first, because it apparently does something really special using both of the screens at the end, which couldn't be replicated on the remakes. I'm just interested to read, what's your take on this. :)

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Hi folks :)

So for about 5 years I've got a copy of Virtue's Last Reward downloaded on my 3DS, waiting to be played. I actually started to play a little bit of it, before I realised it was the second game of a series, of which the first game never showed up in Europe. So I've been waiting for a re-release of it on 3DS, which obviously never happened. But since it has been re-released as part of the "Nonary Games" on PC, PS4 and Vita, I'm wondering now, which version you would recommend to a newcomer. Many fans seem to agree, that the new QoL features, the voice acting and upgraded graphics are a big plus, but still recommend playing the DS game first, because it apparently does something really special using both of the screens at the end, which couldn't be replicated on the remakes. I'm just interested to read, what's your take on this. :)

Go with the Nonary Games, there's nothing really special with the two screens gimmick for the DS game.

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes, without going into spoilers, the game uses dual screen design of DS to do some cool stuff

Edit: but it's not critical as poster above says. If QoL features avoid backtracking (never played PC version), they are definitely worth considering since ending grinding is pretty bad compared to other VN entries.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yes, without going into spoilers, the game uses dual screen design of DS to do some cool stuff.

Indeed, I played the first game on DS and I was shocked with enjoyment.

However I will admit the voice acting of the first game in the PC release I played for 1 hour was very nice. Also the acting of the Protagonist is really really enoyable.

So I agree to start with the PC/PS4/PS Vita collection.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The nonary games version fixes some really awful pacing/structural issues with 999 which is far more beneficial to the experience than the dual screens.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys^^
Guess, I'll play some other games first and wait for a Nintendo Switch version, then. I prefer handheld gaming and don't have a Vita, unfortunately. But if it's not gonna happen PC or PS4 will do just fine, I suppose. :)

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair I think the original's structure has a certain charm. But yeah, re-doing the routes and the rooms is a pain.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't played Unimeko, but Nier's music is beautiful.

Another one I love is the first song of the video below.

https://m.bilibili.com/video/av11728554.html

From the game "Your Smile Beyond Twilight".
Good story.

Sadly it is only 1 minute long....
It repeat in the game, but I wish for an extent version of it.

Umineko's soundtrack is very diverse, as there are a huge amount of contributing composers, from dai's emotional piano-driven songs to zts' energetic techno-trance pieces. If you like melancholic music, Umineko has it in spades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSKWf_20Lkg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szNUd-oj2dE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQK2QbMW-Qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6YgNtJNr6A

All these are from the first game alone. If music is a selling point for you to pick up a game, you can't go wrong with Umineko.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
There's 20 different scenes in just the first half of Umineko that could elicit this reaction
Battler and Beatrice were suddenly talking about playing each other repeatedly before the day of the conference started. Assuming those are the divisions into episodes. I am so freaking confused holy crap

But you're right because I had that reaction another 5 times since then

Marche90

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go with the Nonary Games, there's nothing really special with the two screens gimmick for the DS game.

I actually disagree with this one. A friend of mine wrote about his experience with the PS4 version of 999 here (BEWARE: HERE BE SPOILERS) and it fully captures how I feel about it, too. In short: it's not critical to play on a DS/3DS, but the end experience is certainly different. Nonetheless, if that's the only way you can play the games, go ahead with the Nonary games' version

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I actually disagree with this one. A friend of mine wrote about his experience with the PS4 version of 999 here (BEWARE: HERE BE SPOILERS) and it fully captures how I feel about it, too. In short: it's not critical to play on a DS/3DS, but the end experience is certainly different. Nonetheless, if that's the only way you can play the games, go ahead with the Nonary games' version

That scene is different, but it's not worse. I've played the NDS, iOS and Vita releases and honestly, there are too many enhancements to the PS4/Vita/PC release that I'd never recommend the DS version just for that scene.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Can't stop laughing at the scene with Battler winning against Beatrice on the chapel closed room case. Straight up Ace Attorney

This is great, I love this. I am having so much fun

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'd assume all those are adventure/VN games, yeah. It's what both of them are known for, more or less?

Maybe there'll be something more experimental like ZTD, though.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'd assume all those are adventure/VN games, yeah. It's what both of them are known for, more or less?

Maybe there'll be something more experimental like ZTD, though.

Well since at least one is an actual anime project, they might be branching out more. Hard to say. Pretty interesting collaboration company from two great minds! (And everyone thought it for sure had to be Yoko Taro...) I'm just surprised since they are kind of the backbone of Spike-Chun.

What's really interesting is the "A death game of children, by children, for children"

So... did kids write this?

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voice over is pretty much required for Umineko - the performance is pretty much the best of all VNs.

I played the games when Witch Hunt barely released the translations for EP8, and there were no sprites or voice patches back then. I wish I had the schedule and dedication to delve into a 80 hours VN again...

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Ep. 2 is probably the most "lolwut" episode the first time you read it, there is a massive shift in tone from Ep. 1.

On re-reads it's probably the most important and clear episode on other hand

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Voice over is pretty much required for Umineko - the performance is pretty much the best of all VNs.
Yeah the VA is pretty great from what I read so far. Wouldn't say the delivery is 100% flawless but it elevates the experience several levels (especially ahem two certain characters)

Now that I had some time to process what this episode was, no I still don't have a clue what happened. Especially after the credits. What? What the heck was any of that. What was this even. Was this something? Who? What? Why

What I am even supposed to do. I don't even know what the questions are let alone speculate about them. Battler winning against Beatrice on the chapel is sort of an admission of the real vs supernatural thing but come on, how do you begin to deal with any of this aside from Higurashi's mass hallucination/private army conspiracy angle

There's also this sentence from Kinzo I'm confused about:
e9ol5Ds.png

I have no clue whether that means he can recall what happened in Q1 where he walked out of his room like a dummy, or whether he's referring to some past thing

The one thing I'll say, although it's only based on what I read so far so who knows if it'll keep up in the future episodes, but - considering that by far (saying this as someone who loves Higurashi a lot), objectively, the most weakest point of Higurashi was always its villain...... I don't understand how 07th Expansion went from THAT and then put out what might be the one of the best villains I've ever seen. As far as Q2 goes, everything about Beatrice as a villain was insane and amazing. Seriously? How do you go from Higurashi's to this? It's witch magic.

The music is still incredible also. Every time I hit a new track I have to stop and just let it loop for a while.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the VA is pretty great from what I read so far. Wouldn't say the delivery is 100% flawless but it elevates the experience several levels (especially ahem two certain characters)

Now that I had some time to process what this episode was, no I still don't have a clue what happened. Especially after the credits. What? What the heck was any of that. What was this even. Was this something? Who? What? Why

What I am even supposed to do. I don't even know what the questions are let alone speculate about them. Battler winning against Beatrice on the chapel is sort of an admission of the real vs supernatural thing but come on, how do you begin to deal with any of this aside from Higurashi's mass hallucination/private army conspiracy angle

There's also this sentence from Kinzo I'm confused about:
e9ol5Ds.png

I have no clue whether that means he can recall what happened in Q1 where he walked out of his room like a dummy, or whether he's referring to some past thing

The one thing I'll say, although it's only based on what I read so far so who knows if it'll keep up in the future episodes, but - considering that by far (saying this as someone who loves Higurashi a lot), objectively, the most weakest point of Higurashi was always its villain...... I don't understand how 07th Expansion went from THAT and then put out what might be the one of the best villains I've ever seen. As far as Q2 goes, everything about Beatrice as a villain was insane and amazing. Seriously? How do you go from Higurashi's to this? It's witch magic.

The music is still incredible also. Every time I hit a new track I have to stop and just let it loop for a while.

Also, in relation to Higurashi, don't forget this:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Aw man, Harvest December was a slog to get through! I only enjoyed 2/13 chapters... Just... no one acted like normal people at all and made it weird :/ Story was uhhh unique I guess? Too many characters though, so many unecessary ones. I wish it was easier to read and know who was talking, since it got confusing a lot.

The pros? Music was decent, art was ok, and text was edited well.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Latest Sharin no Kuni update:
Hi, everyone. We have a detailed and important update on the project's status for you today.

First, we want to apologize once more for the continued issues and delays, and the inconveniences they have caused for all of our backers.

We'd like to outline the developments which have occurred since our previous progress update. While the coding and debugging process for the game was much more complicated than expected, development on the game program itself was completed at the end of July. In August, we planned to carry out the final stages of development as well as the Steam submission process, in order to release the game and distribute rewards this month. However, we were forced to reevaluate our release schedule and plans due to the announcement of the discontinuation of the PS Vita.

As many of you may be aware, Sony has announced discontinuation of support for the PS Vita system in the US and Europe, with the deadline for new physical game runs being March 2019. As mentioned in our previous update, we've been working closely with our developer and publisher for the Vita port to ensure we can meet that deadline, and in continuing to evaluate that scheduling, it has become necessary to prioritize the completion of the Vita port before we are able to release the PC version.

To put it more simply, we've rescheduled the Vita port development to come before that of the PC version, rather than afterwards as originally planned. This means that the PC version will be further delayed, and physical copies will be available roughly at the same time as the Vita port.

In concrete terms, currently we are working based on the following schedule:

• Digital reward distribution (Steam release): delayed to December 2018
  • reward fulfillment (both PC and Vita): delayed to February 2019
We realize that this difficult decision causes further delays for our PC backers, and wholeheartedly apologize for the outcomes of this situation. However, our utmost concern remains ensuring all backers will be able to receive all of their rewards, and appreciate your understanding of our decision in light of the difficult circumstances.

We'd like to close with a small preview of the in-progress Vita version, which we hope you'll enjoy. (Please note that these are images of a development build, and may not represent the final product.)

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when they'll release the game on the PSN Store, if the physical release is February 2019.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
???

Wait, then what? So what are you saying exactly? Are those Rika and Takano from higurashi? What? Was the thing Bern mentioned where she was trapped in Lambda's game... was that Higurashi. Huh? Is this it? Or am I just hallucinating nonsense because this story broke me. (don't answer) What is happening

To be honest I skipped all the "tea parties" in Higurashi because the meta commentary was distracting and I hated it, so it's kinda crazy to me that it's so integral to the plot this time. Although I still have no clue about them or about their supposed help. All it did was reinforce my suspicion (only a little) that Beatrice is a metaphorical manifestation for something but who knows