• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 6: It runs in the family)

Seriously, the parallels between Kinzo and Battler are blinding.
Kinzo met a "Beatrice". That woman disappeared. Another "Beatrice" existed (confirmed by the red truth: she did exist), whom he kept imprisoned inside a mansion. That woman, of pure heart, died. Those two women may or may not be the same, may or may not be mother and child.
Battler met a "Beatrice". That woman disappeared. Another "Beatrice" appeared, who calls him father. That woman, of pure heart, isn't anything like the first Beatrice, and Battler's behavior towards her is abusive because of that. Those two women may or may not be the same, may or may not be mother and child.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Oh fuck. The love maids from the prologue appeared. I am already regretting this. Please let the murders begin!...

I TAKE IT BACK I TAKE IT BACK EVA-BEATRICE IS BACK RED ALERT RED ALERT

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of voice acting, do people really wait for every line to finish? I only pay attention to VA in critical scenes. Most of the times I just read. My play time is always much lower than average.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely prefer it when there's VA, voices are good for characterization even if I don't understand the language, but yeah, I pretty much never actually listen to the lines play out.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of voice acting, do people really wait for every line to finish? I only pay attention to VA in critical scenes. Most of the times I just read. My play time is always much lower than average.
I do anyway, but aside from considering it part of the experience like with the rest of the presentation, I use it as an opportunity to follow along with what they're saying and see how much it matches up with the localized text. Either way, I prefer taking my time when playing.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I myself do not. I read and click to proceed versus auto mode so that cuts off some voice work.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dislike auto in VNs. I think part of it is that a lot of Auto modes that VNs have are too slow for me but the other part of it is this weird hangup I have where advancing the text myself just makes me feel more engaged with the novel (it's sort of similar with book apps where I turn on the page turner option if it's available). Even on PC I never turn on Auto.

So I've never had the dim Vita issue aside from a game's opening.

Yeah, I always let voice lines play out fully but I also like to advance the text myself.

Oct 26, 2017
I wrapped wrapped up Muv Luv Unlimited. Went with
Ayamine and her final scene after the credit got me all mist eyed.

I think I want to see one more ending before I move on to Alternative.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 6: Let's spin the roulette)

Georges and Jessica... What the hell are you doing?!

Anyhow, my hypothesis about Kyrie being, in fact, Battler's birth mother seems more and more right. Back then, it was just an hypothesis based on a small line from episode 3's Kyrie. Now, it is all but confirmed. Makes me wonder if what Rudolf wanted to talk about all the way back in episode 1 was about that (yes, I remember that scene).

Kyrie's love advices are on point... Too bad she is just pushing Jessica to do the unforgivable.

... Daaaaamn Kyrie, you're a scary woman.

JESSICA MURDER-MODE ACTIVATED

Until now, we have been led to think that all the adults were horrible.
I'm beginning to think the children are too. Especially now that we know that their deaths in episode 5 was initially faked (for what reason, who knows?).

Ok. I really wasn't expecting the stake of Envy to help Kyrie.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

It depends. If I'm very into what's happening, I will definitely let it all play. Most of the time, actually, I'll let it play.

If what's happening is a bit meh, I might only hear a bit.

Regardless, I feel I tend to advance sooner than auto does even if it is played to completion?

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Ya all be crazy, how can you not listen to those amazing voice actors giving the performance of their lifetimes for pennies.
I never, ever skip them. Ever.

Also, after about 2 hours of reading Uta: Mask of Deception on Vita, it still boggles my mind how this platform is so popular with VN fans.
I managed to work around that screen dimming issue (but, well, it required jailbreaking to fix), but the ergonomics are kind of terrible. The system just doesn't seem to be designed with a single hand usage, something that never was an issue for me both on the DS line and with Win 2.
Sleeping the system is also a chore due to it not having a hinge - the power button isn't as easy to press as just snapping the system in two.
Also, my 2nd hand unit has a gash on the screen just where the text box usually is, which has been testing my OCD ever since I got it. :\

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The voicework of the MC in WAS~the hour of lepidoptera grated my ears... I get it's a doujin, but PLEASE keep your mouth a few inches away from the mic when you scream into it and make me deaf :( Bad sound editing overall, when everyone else is quiet...

Except for that, I play voices cause I hate skipping them.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 6: Hanko Miko)

So, that was Battler's mistake... Seriously, allowing her to put seals in place retroactively, at the risk of creating a logic error and lose his biggest advantage?
That was DUMB Battler. Beyond dumb.

BULLSHIT RETROACTIVE MOVES! Come on Battler, don't let her have her way! That's just plain cheating.
... Oh boy, Battler really shot himself in the foot with his "3 packing tapes per room"... What an idiot.
Come on Battler: everyone is telling you this is a desastrous move. Including the now ingenue Beato, and even LAMBADELTA, who spoke with the red truth that her judgements are impartial.
He is soooo going to be cornered and lose spectacularly...

... Say what
what
genuinely
what
how
no
I
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE

Ah, yes, it does...

... Knox. What the hell. Top 10 Visual Novel betrayal.

Oh fuck.
I just got it.
It is the "Everyone else".
BATTLER YOU IMBECILE

Oh. My bad. Well played Erika, well played.
And there is the "everyone else".

Last edited:

McNagah

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer to listen to the VA finish before reading the entire line. It allows me to feel how a character is acting a bit better than just reading the line itself. Plus half of the time the VA finishes speaking a line before I can read it to the end.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite problem. I read so fast that once the (fast) text goes through, sometimes I'll just automatically click to the next and cut someone off >_>

That's the same issue I have. I think the character already ended the line, then when I press the button to advance, I cut them off, which is why I tend to rely on the auto feature more often than not.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
That's the same issue I have. I think the character already ended the line, then when I press the button to advance, I cut them off, which is why I tend to rely on the auto feature more often than not.

I tend to get distracted, or put down my handheld, or whatever, so auto has me missing stuff if I use it >_>

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
*posted by mistake*

Ah well, I guess I can say I am playing Chaos Child and the protag doesn't want to make him me strangle him like Chaos Head.

Happy Eagle

Jun 5, 2018
Hey all, so I planned on making my first post on Era today (I'm a super lurker) and it was going to be review of Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative, but I ended up writing... well... more than I expected. It's clocking in at 2,664 words and it has 3 large pictures to boot. I know the OP says that reviews are welcome with spoiler tags (and believe me my post is loaded with them), but I don't know what the policy is on long form reviews.

Does anyone know the protocol for long form reviews?

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there even a rule about long form reviews? Spoiler tag should be able to hold reviews of all lengths, and I assume only limitation will come from word count limit.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, so I planned on making my first post on Era today (I'm a super lurker) and it was going to be review of Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative, but I ended up writing... well... more than I expected. It's clocking in at 2,664 words and it has 3 large pictures to boot. I know the OP says that reviews are welcome with spoiler tags (and believe me my post is loaded with them), but I don't know what the policy is on long form reviews.

Does anyone know the protocol for long form reviews?
Just post it in spoiler tags :)

Happy Eagle

Jun 5, 2018
Hey all, first second post on Era (I'm more of a lurker). I recently played 2 visual novels that have been claimed to be the GOAT in the medium: Muv-Luv (the entire trilogy) and The House in Fata Morgana. My previous experience in the genre is: The Zero Escape trilogy [+], Danganronpa 1 + 2 (and the anime) [-], Doki Doki Literature Club [+], Ever 17 [+], and Remember 11 [+] (Does Ghost Trick count?, if so [+]). I have also seen the first Higurashi anime [+], the fate/Stay Night anime (DEEN + Ufotable UBW) [-], and the Steins;Gate anime [+]. In this post, I will be reviewing Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative.

DISCLAIMER:
I will be posting spoilers to all games in the Muv-Luv trilogy in spoiler tags, but if you haven't played any of them I will post spoiler-free paragraphs about the game outside the spoiler tags.

For the curious, my playtime for Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative was as follows:
Muv-Luv [Extra]:
First "main" route complete: 9 hours 50 minutes
Second "main" route complete: 2 hours 10 minutes
Total (100%): 18 hours 58 minutes

Muv-Luv [Unlimited]:
First "route" complete: 10 hours 30 minutes
Total (100%): 13 hours 24 minutes

Muv-Luv [Extra]+[Unlimited] Total (100%): 32 hours 22 minutes

Muv-Luv Alternative:
First "route" complete: 31 hours 10 minutes
Total (100%): 35 hours 19 minutes

Muv-Luv Trilogy Total (100%): 67 hours 41 minutes
For the uninitiated, the Muv-Luv trilogy is made up of 2 different games, Muv-Luv (which contains the Extra and Unlimited parts of the trilogy) and Muv-Luv Alternative (which is the finale of the trilogy). For the record, I played the Steam version of both games with the 18+ patch applied, which does change the experience quite heavily. Without further ado, let the review begin.
bM3nDuu.jpg

Muv-Luv [Extra]:

Spoiler free:

To put it simply: this is a good romcom. While the images of the game, and indeed much of the introduction, portray all the characters as nothing but anime tropes, the reality is that several characters are much more multi-faceted and interesting than one would expect. I personally loathed the game in the first few hours as I was bombarded with anime tropes and the expectation that the story would unfold in very predictable ways. By the end of my first playthrough, I was crying from laughter due to one amazing sequence at one of the route's finale,
NIGHT OF FIRE
and just before that I felt feelings (for lack of a better term) at a certain character's backstory.
While predictable in content, the desperation of the character in finding a way to change her sacrificial fate struck a chord with me. BYE-BYE ;_;
The game doesn't take itself very seriously (outside of a few notable exceptions), so expect things that don't make sense, like buildings that popup (or disappear) overnight, characters wearing clothing or accessories they would never be able to wear in an "elite" school, and crazy science experiments.

Overall, this would be an 8/10 for me if you took it by itself. However, when considered as set up for the rest of the franchise it becomes a master class in planning a narrative, especially with regard to character development, narrative callbacks, and seeding emotional investment into the player. I can't say I really understand those who claim Muv-Luv Extra is nothing but a slog or those who caution first time players that it's the "worst" part. While it is the weakest of the trilogy, it had to be in order to set up the next two games and serve as an introduction to the cast of characters that will accompany you for the next 30+ hours of gripping military sci-fi. As a literary and artistic work, it more than holds its own as a romcom, but the fact that it sets up a masterpiece (and was planned to do so from the beginning) elevates it to a state greater than the sum of its parts.

And now, talking about the game purely from a spoiler point of view:
Muv-Luv Extra is a really fun experience, even if some parts of it drag (this feeling was pretty much exclusive to Chizuru's route, as I find her to be a thoroughly unpleasant character). It's rare that a video game makes me burst out laughing, and the fact that it happened twice (during both Initial D references) is a wonder onto itself. The silliness of Yuuko and Tama's clothing choices, Meiya's unlimited money, and Ayamine's deadpan banter all strengthen the narrative, since it invites the player to come along the wild rollercoaster ride and have fun along with it. And when it chooses to create heartfelt moments for the heroines, it mostly succeeds (especially in Meiya and Sumika's routes). Callbacks to previous moments in the story are frequent, but not annoying, and the easter egg esque foreshadowing for those who have played the other two games in the series (such as when Sumika punches you at the start and when Ayamine and Chizuru are given the chance to play Valger-On in the bathouse are two instances that I noticed, and I am sure there are more) indicate how deeply the designers at age planned the entire narrative structure of Muv-Luv from the very beginning, which is nothing short of remarkable.

And since I know at least some people are wondering, my tier list is
1. Meiya
2. Marimo
3. Ayamine
4. Tama
5. Sumika
6. Chizuru
The following is a paragraph on the merits of buying the $5 uncensored patch from Denpasoft. It contains no spoilers on the story proper.
The 18+ patch is best used on this game, because a certain easter egg sex scene gives you greater context for a character and has a hilarious musical track choice to boot given the circumstances.
IT'S BOSS TIME
The sex scenes are also great for feeling a sense of catharsis after spending the time to complete a route, even if some of the word choice ("pristine vagina"), overall aggressive tone (my personal preference is the opposite), and the loli sex put me off somewhat. So as long as you aren't a prude, religious, underage, or some combination of the above I recommend the use of the patch if you're willing to shell out the additional $5.
yaqTFCb.png

Muv-Luv [Unlimited]:

Spoiler Free:

This is where Muv-Luv as a whole bends the roots of the romcom visual novel genre, yet doesn't completely break it. While the setting is grim and the stakes have been raised, the reader still has to go through basic training to earn his/her place as a cadet along with the main character, so the game takes it easy on you in some respects. While the setting, world building, and adherence to military protocol (such as in detailed military briefings and review of military intel) raises the bar above your typical alternate universe military sci-fi story, certain character specific plot lines that occur throughout the game end up feeling weaker than the character centric stories found in Extra. The game feels a little underdeveloped, which may be a consequence of being developed simultaneously with the Extra half of Muv-Luv. However, its drawbacks aside, this is still a fantastic game with an amazing, developed world. There are several mysteries this game sets up that serve as great narrative hooks for Muv-Luv Alternative. I would also expect that you might find your eyes watering at the ending (mine certainly did) if you have bought into the universe and characters. Lastly, this game introduces the series' mecha, which I believe (having experienced G Gundam, 08th MS Team, Thunderbolt, Wing, IBO, Macross Frontier, Plus, Zero, DYRL, Aldnoah.Zero, Code Geass, ID-0, Break Blade, Knight of Sidonia, Star Driver, Valrave the Liberator, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Front Mission) to be some of the best mecha designs ever.

I would give this game a 9/10, but only within the context of the series. If one were to play this game standalone (but why tho?) it would certainly be much lower than that.

Spoiler talk begins now:
The character stories that I found to be quite a bit weaker were the false dilemma with the granny on the volcano [let the old bitty die! Please!] (although the teamwork moment was awesome and the following blackout cockpit scene was hilarious) and the teamwork trainwreck that was the training exercise with Ayamine and Chizuru (anyone as insubordinate as Ayamine would have been dismissed from the army ages ago, so even if I like her character it's hard to sympathize with her). The only character plotline that held up compared to their parallel from Extra was Miki's, even if I found the situation to be incredibly unrealistic in multiple respects. Additionally, Mikoto's plotline with Takeru in the jungle exam really tested my patience with Takeru's immature character and actions, which may have dragged my enjoyment of her character arc (though I'm not really a huge fan of gender bending in general [at least possibly? Her gender is ambiguous in Extra, after all]). The ending, if you choose to make your heroine take a spot in the Alternative V program, is honestly pretty emotionally moving when it finally pans over to the child you have and her words of encouragement to you on a doomed Earth. Overall, I'm a huge fan of the narrative setup Unlimited creates for Alternative, and for those of you that haven't started Alternative, the payoff is well worth it.

The obligatory tier list didn't shift for me much:
1. Meiya
2. Yuuko
3. Ayamine
4. Tama
5. Mikoto
6. Chizuru

On the (spoiler-free) merits of the uncensored patch:
Since Muv-Luv Extra and Muv-Luv Unlimited are technically the same game, using the uncensored patch on Extra will also unlock the uncensored content in Unlimited. However, it is much less important with respect to Unlimited since there is very little in the way of new characterization (with two notable, yet ultimately negligible exceptions). If you buy the patch, expect more of the same of what you saw in Extra but with slightly tweaked scenarios.
tEkIUFc.png

Muv-Luv Alternative:

Spoiler Free:

This is it, if I were to sum this game in a word it would be payoff. All the narrative hooks, emotional character investment, world building, and foreshadowing combine into one complete, satisfying narrative that will challenge you in ways you won't expect. Not for the faint of heart or the squeamish, if Unlimited is "war is fun look at the cool mechs" then Alternative is "war is hell". As cliche as that sounds, it truly does deliver as a characterized military sci-fi drama, with highly detailed and realistic mission briefings, background socio-political machinations, and a seemingly unstoppable alien adversary; all the ingredients combine to form a narrative so compelling I couldn't take my eyes off it. All my gameplay sessions were 5 hours or more in length (with one very notable exception [which fans will know as "that scene"]). It truly does take the mantle of best visual novel of all time, which I can say with no doubt in my mind. From a narrative standpoint, disregarding its place as a video game or as a visual novel, it is simply a top tier story, with fantastic characters that make you want to root for them, and full use of the visual novel medium to make a more impactful story than a book could. This game emotionally affected me more than any video game I have ever played - I cried more than 6 times - and I found myself more shocked playing this game than any piece of media I have experienced in recent memory. I wish I could gush more about this game, but I would rather you played it for yourself.

I would rate this game a 10/10, because while it is not without some problems, it is the closest thing to flawless that I have played in some time.

If you have an open mind for Japanese games, care about good stories in video games, like Japanese mecha, or enjoy military sci-fi, give Muv-Luv a try.

Spoiler Time:
So, with the spoiler free talk out of the way, i would like to express how much the characters of Muv-Luv as a whole impress me. While it can be somewhat expected that after 2 games I would begin to care about the main cast of girls common throughout, I was totally blown away by how much the deaths of characters only introduced in this game (most of Valkyrie Squadron) affected me. Not only that, but the amazing performance of Meiya's voice actress at the game's finale solidified her as one of my favorite female leads in all of fiction.

And, as for "that scene"
Wow. Mouth agape. I was shocked.I thought the area was dangerous (what with a BETA battle taking place there just beforehand), but the game played upon my presupposed "genre savviness" and totally upended my expectations of nothing occurring. As soon as he said "thank you", I knew something was up. Damn, it's so so difficult that any piece of media, no matter how true to a soldier's experience, could ever come close to accurately emulating PTSD within the reader/watcher/player. But they did it, those mad men did it! I was emotionally shellshocked, and the frequent flashbacks in-game didn't help. I developed a negative Pavlovian response to the code 991 sound, and the image stuck around in my head for days. I have nothing but respect for age soft's ability to emotionally effect the reader, and I have no doubt that they didn't do it for the shock factor, but as a natural outgrowth of where the story the story was heading. This scene will stick with me for years to come as an example of the power that emotional investment in a narrative can have on person.
I guess I could put another tier list, but really by the end of Alternative I thought all the major characters were great.
I included only the characters that had a character achievement badge on Steam, if I listed everyone I thought was cool the list would be too long (and way different).
1. Meiya
2. Ayamine
3. Tama
4. Kasumi
5. Sumika
6. Mikoto
7. Chizuru

Lastly, the uncensored patch. (IMPORTANT!) [READ IF YOU PLAN ON PLAYING MLA]
I waited around 30 days for the release of the uncensored patch for Muv-Luv Alternative after beating the original Muv-Luv in late May. Was it worth the wait? No. I can say that, in terms of shock factor, it produced a level of shock similar to "that scene"; however, I would recommend - for most readers - to skip the uncensored patch for Muv-Luv Alternative altogether, as it only adds 2 "scenes", one of which is covered in enough detail even with the censor. Just trust me on this. Some have claimed said uncensored scene ruined the game for them on some level, and while I can't say the same for myself (I have seen plenty of effed up stuff of a similar nature [unfortunately]), I think it could hold true for you as well. And don't worry, "that scene" which is much more important and impactful narratively, is untouched in the Steam all-ages release, so have at it.

Ultimately, the Muv-Luv trilogy is a master class in narrative planning, structure, and execution, all while fully taking advantage of the visual novel medium and having some of the best art (yes even the art, especially MLA), music, and sound effects the medium has ever produced. It kind of boggles the mind that it is over 10 years old at this point. Anyway, you would be doing yourself a favor if you picked it up! (Both games are available on Steam right now, and were discounted in the last sale, so wishlist it and wait for another sale if you must!)

Thanks to Myradeer and Dandy Crocodile for answering my question!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I should replay Muv-Luv so I can post my thoughts on how utterly okay I thought it was again.

Except for Extra. That was just trash.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should replay Muv-Luv so I can post my thoughts on how utterly okay I thought it was again.

Except for Extra. That was just trash.
Please do that, cuz I agree. I thought the presentation stands out but the story is dry.

I don't think Extra is trash, but I do agree it's unnecessary. Take Baldr Sky for example. That game also uses contrast between normal life and abnormal time, but it implements it with flashbacks instead of dedicating a huge chunk of game for it. Things get much more interesting much quicker as a result.

Last edited:

Happy Eagle

Jun 5, 2018
Please do that, cuz I agree. I thought the presentation stands out but the story is dry.

I don't think Extra is trash, but I do agree it's unnecessary. Take Baldr Sky for example. That game also uses contrast between normal life and abnormal time, but it implements it with flashbacks instead of dedicating a huge chunk of game for it. Things get much more interesting much quicker as a result.
I personally read fast (and enjoy reading in general, it's why I lurk more than post) and find a ~19 hour experience an acceptable amount of time to introduce a universe so long as the payoff is worth it. The reason I found The House in Fata Morgana underwhelming is precisely because it didn't build up enough reasons for me to care about its characters in the 14 hours it took to beat it.
Which it could've done through more time devoted to its characters outside of their overwrought tragedies.

Is Baldr Sky worth trying out?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I personally read fast (and enjoy reading in general, it's why I lurk more than post) and find a ~19 hour experience an acceptable amount of time to introduce a universe so long as the payoff is worth it. The reason I found The House in Fata Morgana underwhelming is precisely because it didn't build up enough reasons for me to care about its characters in the 14 hours it took to beat it.
Which it could've done through more time devoted to its characters outside of their overwrought tragedies.

You read all of The House in Fata Morgana in 14 hours?!

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 6: LET'S CELEBRATE)

DING-DONG! The witch is ALIVE!

GEEEEEEET THAT BIIIIITCH, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lambda, now that you helped, please share that pop-corn!

MARRY ME BEATRIIIIIIIIIIICE!

Last edited:

Happy Eagle

Jun 5, 2018
You read all of The House in Fata Morgana in 14 hours?!
I read fast lol.
It really helped that The House in Fata Morgana has no VA, so as soon as I finished a line I could click ahead.
EDIT:
QSpev39.png
My steam time is a little longer because it took 3 hours to get 100%
Complete the "Backstage" option, get every dead end, beat the game twice.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I read fast lol.
It really helped that The House in Fata Morgana has no VA, so as soon as I finished a line I could click ahead.

Damn. I thought I read fast, but Fata Morgana still took me 25+ hours.

Speaking of something, whatever, I think I'm gonna give Dies Irae a second try. Kinda remember thinking the first hour was a real fucking wankfest when it came out lmao, but I feel like reading a bigger-than-life VN right now. And the common route is free, so *shrug*.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 6: Ending - That Red Truth)

Erica forced herself in the game. Because of that, there are now 18 humans on this island (and not 19, since Kinzo is dead).

However... Even with Erica included, that makes 17 humans.

So, without her, that would mean... that there are... 16 humans... on the island?...
But... but... didn't Beatrice say that there were... 17 humans... before... even without Erika?...
I am so confused...

Considering their nature and the hints dropped... Could it be... that Kanon and Shannon are one and the same being?

Nah, I'm spouting nonsense... That wouldn't make any sense.

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 6: ????)

That... explains the cat smiles.

... This is ominous.

Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 7: Beginning)

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's considered one of the best. There doesn't seem to be an English version though.

I agree that world building and character build up are important. I have the same problem with Clannad despite how long it is. It has too many routes for its own good. But for Extra in particular, I don't find the build up relevant, for obvious reasons. Unlimited is already quite enough.

Happy Eagle

Jun 5, 2018
Speaking of something, whatever, I think I'm gonna give Dies Irae a second try. Kinda remember thinking the first hour was a real fucking wankfest when it came out lmao, but I feel like reading a bigger-than-life VN right now. And the common route is free, so *shrug*.
Dies Irae's anime was so bad it was good. Although I found it super weird how highly rated the VN was on VNDB, so either the adaptation was super bad or I'm out of touch on what the kids like these days (the 5.5 on MAL indicates the former though).
It's considered one of the best. There doesn't seem to be an English version though.

I agree that world building and character build up are important. I have the same problem with Clannad despite how long it is. It has too many routes for its own good. But for Extra in particular, I don't find the build up relevant, for obvious reasons. Unlimited is already quite enough.
Thanks for the recommendation, apparently Sekai Project is bringing Baldr Sky Dive 1 and 2 to Steam later. I'll definitely give it a shot once it comes out since the OP for Dive 1 piqued my interest (although the mecha design looks a little rough IMO).

As for the length of a VN, maybe I just have too much time on my hands, but Extra would've been an enjoyable play for me even without the rest of the series. But I also like romcoms (ones I consider good, anyway), so I may have something of a skewed perspective in that regard.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As for the length of a VN, maybe I just have too much time on my hands, but Extra would've been an enjoyable play for me even without the rest of the series. But I also like romcoms (ones I consider good, anyway), so I may have something of a skewed perspective in that regard.
I actually agree with you. I found Extra enjoyable by itself, I just don't think it's necessary in the whole package. It's like a side quest in an RPG, so to speak.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Dies Irae's anime was so bad it was good. Although I found it super weird how highly rated the VN was on VNDB, so either the adaptation was super bad or I'm out of touch on what the kids like these days (the 5.5 on MAL indicates the former though).

Game is also... well, decent, but not great.
Think Fate/Stay Night, but with philosophy and Nazis.
Definitely too long though. Took me 97 hours to clear all 4 routes.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh and speaking of FSN. I recently dropped it after 10 hours. Probably the first highly acclaimed VN that I had absolutely zero energy to finish. The only time when it's not boring is when it's wacky.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and speaking of FSN. I recently dropped it after 10 hours. Probably the first highly acclaimed VN that I had absolutely zero energy to finish. The only time when it's not boring is when it's wacky.

It has a slow start but it does get [quite a bit] better once you progress (especially past the Fate route), though you do have to put up with some issues before then. Maybe you could give the (ufotable) anime adaptations a try instead?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 7: OK. Sure. Let's go with that)

I genuinely have no idea where this is going, but I kinda like the new protag.

That Lion though... Is this a fragment where that "baby" survived?

Now... Golden hair... Beatrice died 19 or 20 years ago... He is roughly 20 years old...

Errrr... Lion is Beatrice and Kinzo's son, and the baby that Natsuhi adopted upon Kinzo's request. If true, that's disturbing on so many levels...

Well, young Kinzo does look like Battler, quite a lot... Oh come on, don't pull the "Kinzo = Battler" on me (although that would explain Episode 4, I guess? As someone they all identified as "Kinzo" joined the parlor IIRC...).

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 6: Ending - That Red Truth)

Erica forced herself in the game. Because of that, there are now 18 humans on this island (and not 19, since Kinzo is dead).

However... Even with Erica included, that makes 17 humans.

So, without her, that would mean... that there are... 16 humans... on the island?...
But... but... didn't Beatrice say that there were... 17 humans... before... even without Erika?...
I am so confused...

Considering their nature and the hints dropped... Could it be... that Kanon and Shannon are one and the same being?

Nah, I'm spouting nonsense... That wouldn't make any sense.
She said "no more than 17". In episode 5 it was stated in red that Erika increases the number of people, which is the same in all previous games, by one.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Umineko: When They Cry (Episode 7: A Link to the Past)

So that's where this gold came from.
This is going to end with a bloodbath, isn't it?

Yup. Here comes the bloodbath.

Oooooooooooooh. So that's how Nanjo and Kinzo met. Hehe!

Last edited: